300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USMC_Stitch View Post
    you should be getting the PFT2 date any day now. If you don't hear by Friday, then I would call them back. It took 3 full days for mine, from acceptance to PFT2. You still got plenty of time. Use it to Run. and Run. and Run some more. ;-)

Its the Government. Hurry up and wait!
    I've been running. Got my 1.5 down to about 13:30. Not sure about the 220' though, I need to get myself to a track.
    Originally posted by z132878 View Post
    I don't think they call anyone. Check your email. Most people have been getting scheduled within 5 days of accepting the offer.
    I did call, and was told to just wait longer. You're right they don't call. I guess I'm just starting to get nervous, I was hoping to be scheduled right after the call.

Comment

Hey guys...Long time follower, first time poster.

Allow myself to introduce....myself..

I am from, and currently reside in, Brunswick, Georgia. Yes, THAT Brunswick, Georgia. I live about 5 minutes from FLETC. Indeed, my wife works on the base for IT.

I got my EOD (YAY!) the other day. I'm set for San Ysidro, which is what we wanted. Being stationed at Camp Pendleton, and after separation from the Corps, moving to Imperial Beach, it is going to be nice to be back "home". It will be especially nice, since my wife is from TJ.

Due to taking 2 weeks vacation, starting Saturday Nov 19th, I'm scheduled to take my PFT2 at Southwestern College, Chula Vista on Dec 2. Once I return home, I turn right around on Dec 19th to do my shadowing at SY until Jan 25. I start the Academy Jan 26th. I'm wicked excited!! I work just down the road, and every morning I hear the firing range going off, and I get excited.

Now, my question is, where does someone stay while doing the shadowing? What do I look for, for lodging? I've searched hotels, like Extended stay, and they want $69-80 a night, which works out to $2400+, before taxes. I looked at "Corporate Housing" and some are way too high, others you need to contact property owners. We're going to be staying with her family in TJ, and I'll be making frequent visits to San Diego and Chula Vista, so we'll have time to look, but I'm not really sure what to look FOR.

Where have some of you stayed? How much was it etc...?
      What I really need is HS Internet, preferably a gym or some kind of track or exercise centre nearby (not required since I like to do body weight exercises), but I need some kind of pull up bar. Also, a kitchenette would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips

PS.
      For those curious, I'm not sure off hand what my exact dates are but:

I took my test Nov 2010 in Atlanta
      Medical and PFT1 scheduled for 5/9/2011 but I Broke my hand, 2 days prior, so that put me back 5 months, took medical
      BGI received 5/28/11 - green checked 8/2011
      VBI - 9/2011
      Medical green checked (after injury review) 10/20/2011
      PFT1 rescheduled - 10/24/2011
      PFT2 - 12/2/2011
      EOD - 12/19/2011 San Ysidro
      Academy - 1/26/2012
      What exactly do you mean you are going to be staying with your wife's family in TJ? Do you mean for the shadowing stage or after the academy?

Comment

Same date. As for the College, no. At least not that I remember. I lived near, and have driven all over, Chula Vista, but I hadn't really paid attention to the college. I was going to get there early, or go the night before, and recon it out. I'm curious about the 1.5 mile run. Is it going to be around the track? Same with the 220. I would like to practice while i'm in town. I run on the streets, but that's a bit different than a track.
        Is your scheduled time for 8:30 am as well? Hope to see you there. I'm in decent shape and don't expect any major issues with the fitness test. However, I did notice that the sit-up portion of the test isn't as easy as I expected. I have only been doing 30 sit-ups on average a minute. The sit-ups are easy enough, but one minute doesn't give you very much time. As for the 1.5 run, I've been practicing on a treadmill, and I usually complete it in about 13 minutes or under. I'm planning on trying a track today or tomorrow. I would tend to run faster on a track versus a treadmill, but that may tire me out a little faster. For the 220 yard sprint, I gotta find a football field to try it out on. It shouldn't be very difficult.

I'm also planning on checking out the university the night before just to make sure I know where to find it.

Comment

• Hey guys,

I EOD for MIA on December 19th. I'm pretty sure that as a CBPO, we have to be clean shaven each day. I remember reading on this forum a while back that somebody was fighting this issue. Has anything changed? Do we have to shave during pre-academy and at while FLETC? I believe that we do, but I just wanted to confirm this. I'm going to miss my beard.

As far as pre-academy is concerned, do the ports usually tend to hire a group of CBPOs at a time or would I likely be the only new hire at my port?

One last question for anyone that has been through FLETC: When I received the call, the officer mentioned something about the DHS covering our costs to relocate to FLETC. I know they do not cover relocation expenses when going to take the PFT2 or moving to our assigned port, but is it true that they help pay for moving expenses to Brunswick? How does this work?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdivola View Post
            Hey guys,

I EOD for MIA on December 19th. I'm pretty sure that as a CBPO, we have to be clean shaven each day. I remember reading on this forum a while back that somebody was fighting this issue. Has anything changed? Do we have to shave during pre-academy and at while FLETC? I believe that we do, but I just wanted to confirm this. I'm going to miss my beard.

As far as pre-academy is concerned, do the ports usually tend to hire a group of CBPOs at a time or would I likely be the only new hire at my port?

One last question for anyone that has been through FLETC: When I received the call, the officer mentioned something about the DHS covering our costs to relocate to FLETC. I know they do not cover relocation expenses when going to take the PFT2 or moving to our assigned port, but is it true that they help pay for moving expenses to Brunswick? How does this work?
            -As a new hire you will be clean shaven while on EOD/Pre-Academy and FLETC, once you get back it will depend on your port... but at this time they eased off on the facial hair issue at the POE's.
            -There is NO relocation money for anyone... They will pay for a plane ticket to get to FLETC and back, or milage if you drive.
            -The ports have no say as to when and how many people are hired, you might get to come in with other people on the same day or you might be the only one... MHC takes care of the hiring not the POE's.
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by wmu2003 View Post
              Hey everyone......kind of new to the thread. Have been reading a lot of what everyone has to say but this is my first time posting.....just curious if any Michigan people out there have any thoughts on which port is better - Sault Sainte Marie or Detroit?
              Welcome wmu.

That is the 2 ports I was offered last month...I chose Detroit only because that way I wouldn't have to move. I currently live 1 hour from Detroit....about 10 hours from SSM.

I only know one officer that worked at SSM...starting roughly around 2003. He was in his late 20's when he took the position. Him and his young wife moved there....5 years later he was begging to go to Port Huron or Detroit to be closer to their families. He said "if you REALLY like to hunt/fish/bowl/ride snowmobiles and drink..then this is the place for you!". He couldn't stand the winter's...."can only go sledding so many times with the kids" was his statement. I am sure there is more to the area up there but thought I would share the little that I know. At least in Detroit, you have more options. If you want to hunt/fish/bowl/ride snowmobiles and drink...you still can within a short distance....plus have all the options of a larger city.
              Last edited by Beecy; 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                -As a new hire you will be clean shaven while on EOD/Pre-Academy and FLETC, once you get back it will depend on your port... but at this time they eased off on the facial hair issue at the POE's.
                -There is NO relocation money for anyone... They will pay for a plane ticket to get to FLETC and back, or milage if you drive.
                -The ports have no say as to when and how many people are hired, you might get to come in with other people on the same day or you might be the only one... MHC takes care of the hiring not the POE's.
                not necessarily ive seen some guys with full blow goatees that are in cbp here at FLETC. I also asked my instructor and he said its not necessary to shave but he did say he does not recommend it i think it depends on your instructor . I will tell you this im not shaving no more

Comment

• Originally posted by jandrews6 View Post
                  Just out of curiosity....

What type of shifts are they working in El Paso?
                  You mean the regular officers at the ports?

if so, i believe it's 6-2, 2-10, 10-6.
                  Last edited by OPJr; 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM.
                  Written: 12/8/10
                  NOR: 1/25/11
                  TO: 5/11/11
                  Fitness/Med: 5/16/11
                  BI: 6/14/11
                  VBT/SI: 6/20/11
                  Drug Screen: 9/29/11
                  Call: 10/5/11
                  PTF2: 10/14/11
                  EOD: 11/7/11 (El Paso)
                  FLETC: 12/6/11

Comment

YODA,

What floor are you on? We live in the same building ..5, Dec 2, is coming up!!

-sidenote on the facial hair, I have classmates who do not shave and my instructor says nothing to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                      What exactly do you mean you are going to be staying with your wife's family in TJ? Do you mean for the shadowing stage or after the academy?
                      Sorry, i don't think i was too clear.
                      I'm going on vacation this saturday to TJ. We'll be staying at my in-laws house during this time. We come back home Dec 3. Dec 19th, I go back to San Diego, San Ysidro for my shadowing, alone (my wife and baby are staying home to get the house ready for sale). At that time, i'll need a place to stay for a month and change, and that was what my question was about. So, while i'm in TJ, we're going to look around Chula Vista area for some place for me to stay, and I'm not sure where to look or what to look for. I was going to ask some of the Officers on duty when I cross, introduce myself etc..and get their input. I also seeing what others have to say here.

Originally posted by jdivola View Post
                      Is your scheduled time for 8:30 am as well? Hope to see you there. I'm in decent shape and don't expect any major issues with the fitness test. However, I did notice that the sit-up portion of the test isn't as easy as I expected. I have only been doing 30 sit-ups on average a minute. The sit-ups are easy enough, but one minute doesn't give you very much time. As for the 1.5 run, I've been practicing on a treadmill, and I usually complete it in about 13 minutes or under. I'm planning on trying a track today or tomorrow. I would tend to run faster on a track versus a treadmill, but that may tire me out a little faster. For the 220 yard sprint, I gotta find a football field to try it out on. It shouldn't be very difficult.

I'm also planning on checking out the university the night before just to make sure I know where to find it.
                      Same time, 8:30. We'll probably run into each other reconing the university. I'll be the one with the black tac suit and balaclava

My runs aren't TOO bad, I do about 15-16 1.5 mile and 220 in 40 secs. I've got a bum knee that acts up a little. Push ups and sit ups, no worries. I usually do 50-75 push ups a day, 15-25 every 2 hours or so. I did 47 on the PFT1. Situps i'm at 46/min. Which irritates me, as I was able to do about 60/min in the Corps.

Don't really need a football field to practice the 220. 220 yards is .125 miles. So get in your car, go down the street for .1 mile, then a little over. I go .2 and try to hit that mark in 50 secs. Almost there.....i can get .18/.19 before i peter out.
                      Last edited by USMC_Stitch; 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks Yoda,
                        Much appreciated.

Comment

Sorry, i don't think i was too clear.
                          I'm going on vacation this saturday to TJ. We'll be staying at my in-laws house during this time. We come back home Dec 3. Dec 19th, I go back to San Diego, San Ysidro for my shadowing, alone (my wife and baby are staying home to get the house ready for sale). At that time, i'll need a place to stay for a month and change, and that was what my question was about. So, while i'm in TJ, we're going to look around Chula Vista area for some place for me to stay, and I'm not sure where to look or what to look for. I was going to ask some of the Officers on duty when I cross, introduce myself etc..and get their input. I also seeing what others have to say here.

Same time, 8:30. We'll probably run into each other reconing the university. I'll be the one with the black tac suit and balaclava

My runs aren't TOO bad, I do about 15-16 1.5 mile and 220 in 40 secs. I've got a bum knee that acts up a little. Push ups and sit ups, no worries. I usually do 50-75 push ups a day, 15-25 every 2 hours or so. I did 47 on the PFT1. Situps i'm at 46/min. Which irritates me, as I was able to do about 60/min in the Corps.

Don't really need a football field to practice the 220. 220 yards is .125 miles. So get in your car, go down the street for .1 mile, then a little over. I go .2 and try to hit that mark in 50 secs. Almost there.....i can get .18/.19 before i peter out.
                          Thanks man,
                          Looking forward to bumping into you. I'm definitely gonna start practicing twice a day for the next two weeks so I will be prepared. I want to be over-prepared just in case. Sometimes its hard to run when the air is cold, stuff like that. I will take your advice and measure .10 of a mile. Good luck.

Comment

• no worries, just don't laugh as I come wheezing across the finish line!

Comment

• Originally posted by spoondawgy24 View Post
                              YODA,

What floor are you on? We live in the same building ..5, Dec 2, is coming up!!

-sidenote on the facial hair, I have classmates who do not shave and my instructor says nothing to them.
                              That's because the director hasn't seen or come to your room to speak to you guys... When that happens, facial hair will come off!
                              CBPO
                              Written: 08/29/2007
                              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• This is my first posting... I received the CALL on Monday 11/14 and missed it. The CBP officer called back on Tuesday 11/15 and offered only one port Nogales, AZ he told me I had 24 hours and he would call back. I accepted the offer today 11/16. EOD date is 12/19/2011. I also received the email today after speaking with him for my pft2 which is scheduled for 12/2/11 in Harpers Ferry, WV. Alot of the information on here is very informative. However, MHC makes the decisions...CASS right now still shows my qualifications as pending and says nothing about being referred to the scheduling unit.

If anyone has the same dates and location pm me... especially if you're interested in sharing costs....

Below is my timeline

Test - 12/20/2010
                                NOR - 3/21/2011 Score 73% Geographic availability - Maryland
                                NOR - Changed to SW 4/29/2011
                                NOR - Changed to Arizona on 5/23/2011
                                NOR - Arizona 5/24/2011
                                TSL 1 - 6/14/2011 packet was due by 6/24/2011
                                TSL 2 - 6/15/2011 packet was due by 6/27/2011
                                Medical/Fitness - 7/11/2011 passed pft1
                                TB test read - 7/13/2011 cleared
                                Additional medical requested - 7/25/2011 Submitted 8/18/2011 cleared
                                BI/meet with investigator - 7/20/2011 Cleared in Cass i believe on 11/11/2011
                                VBT/SI - 8/18/2011 Received letter dated 8/26/11 Eligible
                                Drug Test - 9/22/2011 cleared
                                Pft2 - 12/2/2011
                                EOD - 12/19/2011
                                Class dates - 3/1/2012 - 7/5/2012

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9480 users online. 298 members and 9182 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X