300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by veno135 View Post
    is this link accurate with the locality rate on the bottom of the site, for cbpos?

http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html
    yes
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• can someone explain the GS Steps?

I assume I would start at GS-5 on day 1, GS-7 a year later, but the steps aren't explained real well.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
        can someone explain the GS Steps?

I assume I would start at GS-5 on day 1, GS-7 a year later, but the steps aren't explained real well.

Assuming nothing changes in the meantime, the normal progression each year would be...

05/01
        07/01
        09/01
        11/01
        12/01
        12/02
        12/03
        12/04
        12/04
        12/05
        12/05
        12/06
        12/06
        12/07
        12/07
        12/07
        12/08
        12/08
        12/08
        12/09
        12/09
        12/09
        12/10

With 12/10 being the salary for each year onward.

Comment

• Originally posted by sundvlgrl View Post
          I was wondering if anyone has been offered Douglas, AZ, lately. I know Nogales, AZ has been offered.

I was offered Douglas or San Luis, AZ. I chose San Luis, and 3 other new guys that started at San Luis with me, also got offered Douglas. This is all within the last month. I did recently see some people on this forum say they were offered Douglas too.
          Last edited by bowhunter103; 11-10-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            Assuming nothing changes in the meantime, the normal progression each year would be...

05/01
            07/01
            09/01
            11/01
            12/01
            12/02
            12/03
            12/04
            12/04
            12/05
            12/05
            12/06
            12/06
            12/07
            12/07
            12/07
            12/08
            12/08
            12/08
            12/09
            12/09
            12/09
            12/10

With 12/10 being the salary for each year onward.
            aw man, for a few seconds I thought I'd be at the 12/10 stage in year #5! O well, I wont complain!

Comment

• Originally posted by sundvlgrl View Post
              I was wondering if anyone has been offered Douglas, AZ, lately. I know Nogales, AZ has been offered.
              I also was offered Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                From what I've see it appears to be.

Straight from OPM, 2011 pay scales...

http://www.opm.gov/oca/11tables/indexGS.asp

Merlin and other current CBP, I was under the impression that CBP pay would be the law enforcement officer general schedule locality pay found at this link http://www.opm.gov/oca/05tables/indexLEO.asp ? So CBP uses the general schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                  In December 2010, I failed the polygraph for US Secret Service Special Agent. At the time I was already a correctional officer with the BOP. In July 2011, I was hired by Border Patrol. What I am saying is that the failed polygraph does not speak of a persons true character, and at the same time, it isn't an end to your LE career goals. Apply elsewhere, and don't give up.
                  Excellent Post!!! Nothing like a personal testament to aid in the encouraging of others!!! If you want somthing bad enough and you work hard to achieve it... You will!

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnylaw View Post
                    Well it seems the poly thing is not consistent across the board. Prior to the most recent annoucment, very few actually took a poly. With the most recent annoucement, it seems everyone is taking a poly and it is being given before an actual BI is done, and if you "pass" you get an interim clearance and are sent to the training, before the BI is completed.

With those that "fail" the poly, it seems now that some are given another chance to retake, while others are not given a chance and are told that you fail and are unsuitable for employment and will never be hired by DHS forever. If one is not allowed to appeal a decision or to request a restest, while others are automatically given one, this seems to be inconsistent treatment, and quite frankly a violatino of due process.

It should be noted that the polygraph was never meant to be used the way it is being used by CBP. It was not meant to be used an "end-all" to an employment decision. It is in all actuality an interrogation tool and a supplement to a background investigation. IMHO, it is a violation of statute to base a suitability decision purely on a polygraph (a test that is inheritently inaccurate).

Statistics are a failure rate of around 60% for CBP, and when given a retest, about 20% of those 60% pass the 2nd time.

It seems that around 20% of the 60% that fail are false positives and if not given a chance to retest are "acceptable losses" to the CBP. Perhaps if polys were give to everyone, including current employees and the top brass, when 60% come back failing and careers are potentially ruined, the policy might be reconsidered...
                    I believe that those stats came from around the time that they were selecting certain applicants for the poly based on their suspicion of dishonesty, from my recollection on these boards in 2008-2009. That would suggest that those statistics are based on the adverse selection of applicants - 60% of applicants who were believed might have been dishonest on their application failed. That is very different from saying that 60% of all applicants who take the poly fail. If the statistics have stayed the same since they were using adverse selection when I first received my T.O., the consistency of that is troubling. I doubt that is the case and I would guess that the ratio of failures has decreased since implementing the test across the board. It does not stand to reason otherwise if you look back at the origin of those stats.
                    CBPO
                    GEO - NY/JFK
                    TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                    PE Forms - Completed
                    Fitness - Completed
                    VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                    Drug Screen - Completed
                    Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                    B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                    Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                    TSU

EOD: ???
                    FLETC: ???

Comment

It should be noted that the polygraph was never meant to be used the way it is being used by CBP. It was not meant to be used an "end-all" to an employment decision. It is in all actuality an interrogation tool and a supplement to a background investigation. IMHO, it is a violation of statute to base a suitability decision purely on a polygraph (a test that is inheritently inaccurate).
                      Would you please cite the Federal Statute that you feel is being violated?

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by blessed View Post
                        Merlin and other current CBP, I was under the impression that CBP pay would be the law enforcement officer general schedule locality pay found at this link http://www.opm.gov/oca/05tables/indexLEO.asp ? So CBP uses the general schedule?
                        Yes.

Well, sort of.

CBPOs fall under the regular GS pay scale. GL-05 through GL-09 BPAs are paid under the GL scale.
                        The short answer as to 'Why?' is that the difference lies in how the quixotic definition of 'LEO' under 5 USC excludes CBPOs and several other FLEO positions but includes BPAs and many other FLEOs.

Having said that, CBP is actively pushing for several different pay reform proposals. One of those reform proposals would change the definition of 'LEO' to include CBPOs. If it come to fruition, GS-05 through GS-09 CBPOs would then receive GL pay.

FYI to those unaware, the GL pay scale only exists from GS-03 through GS-10. AT GS-11 everyone converts back to the GS scale.
                        Last edited by merlin436; 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blessed View Post
                          This is a proposal to move CBPO into the LEO scale, but it has not yet happened. They are still wanting to change our OT scale to save money, and this would be a trade off. LEO scale only helps for the first 2 to 3 years (depending on what you are hired as GS wise) because there is no difference in the 11 level or above. Having double time for anything over 40 is a better deal right now!
                          Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                            Would you please cite the Federal Statute that you feel is being violated?

FB
                            The Administrative Procedures Act

Comment

• Polygraph

I've been in law enforcement of some time now and have seen the polygraph used on many occasions. i have always passed all my polygraphs but I can tell you from personal experience it is a useless piece of quack science. The polygraph does not measure lies it measures the bodys response. We did a department test where some of our members who were ex-special ops and trained in how to counter the poly took it and lied through their teeth. The poly said they were the best of the best and told the truth despite us knowing they lied about everything. I've seen other people take the poly as suspects and fail miserably only to find out the couldn't have committed the crime because their DNA did not match that of the suspects. They failed because they were nervous and knew they were wrongfully being accused. Bottom line the poly is a joke and it ruins good people!

Comment

The Administrative Procedures Act
                                When you are asked for a cite, it generally means the section of law being referenced. Your answer would be like me putting down the Immigration and Naturalization Act as the charge on a criminal complaint or NTA when arresting an alien. That being said the law you have attempted to cite is about formal rule making (read CFR's) not hiring practices or polygraphs.
                                FB

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/bills/blapa.htm

The Administrative Procedure Act (APA) is the law under which some 55 U.S. government federal regulatory agencies like the FDA and EPA create the rules and regulations necessary to implement and enforce major legislative acts such as the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, Clean Air Act or Occupational Health and Safety Act.
                                Last edited by Firebug; 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10502 users online. 389 members and 10113 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X