300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OchoTres View Post
    The only step I'm missing is the call from the big guy. Tough process. It's different for everyone so I don't want to discourage you. I was unlucky to get a BI that was such a weirdo. Might as well go to your psych interview regardless if you plan to take the job. Who knows what's gonna happen in life.
    I see. I didn't know about that. Either way, I'm doing the psych just in case. I called just now to confirm for Nogales.

I'm looking for living arrangements from those that have already gone, or have the same eod of 12/19. I start FLETC 2/21.

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
      He said I failed the first one. He told me this when I did it last week.
      I really have no idea how this poly thing works, but it sounds like your getting another chance here.

Did you get a letter saying you failed? If you did get a letter did you appeal it, maybe that’s why you’re getting another chance?

Could be your results didn’t necessarily say you failed, they may have just been inconclusive.

Good luck man I hope you pass this one.

Comment

• Nogales

For those reporting to Nogales,

I just got off the phone with our soon to be supervisor. She recommended a few local hotels but said just to reserve a room for a few days bc once you meet the other new hires you can discuss a way to split the costs for living arrangements.

Whatever transportation you use to get to the port is your issue to figure out. Most people meet up with other new hires and split costs on renting a car. There is a bus but it doesn't drop off anywhere close to the port.

Just so you know, you're not gonna be shadowing anyone. You go to a specific building meant for pre academy stuff like paperwork.

My EOD for Nogales is 12/5. If anyone is interested in splitting costs let me know. If anyone is going to be in WV on 11/18 for the PFT2 let me know and we can discuss splitting the bill for this stuff.

Comment

• Well it seems the poly thing is not consistent across the board. Prior to the most recent annoucment, very few actually took a poly. With the most recent annoucement, it seems everyone is taking a poly and it is being given before an actual BI is done, and if you "pass" you get an interim clearance and are sent to the training, before the BI is completed.

With those that "fail" the poly, it seems now that some are given another chance to retake, while others are not given a chance and are told that you fail and are unsuitable for employment and will never be hired by DHS forever. If one is not allowed to appeal a decision or to request a restest, while others are automatically given one, this seems to be inconsistent treatment, and quite frankly a violatino of due process.

It should be noted that the polygraph was never meant to be used the way it is being used by CBP. It was not meant to be used an "end-all" to an employment decision. It is in all actuality an interrogation tool and a supplement to a background investigation. IMHO, it is a violation of statute to base a suitability decision purely on a polygraph (a test that is inheritently inaccurate).

Statistics are a failure rate of around 60% for CBP, and when given a retest, about 20% of those 60% pass the 2nd time.

It seems that around 20% of the 60% that fail are false positives and if not given a chance to retest are "acceptable losses" to the CBP. Perhaps if polys were give to everyone, including current employees and the top brass, when 60% come back failing and careers are potentially ruined, the policy might be reconsidered...

Comment

• I was wondering if anyone has been offered Douglas, AZ, lately. I know Nogales, AZ has been offered.

Comment

• Originally posted by OchoTres View Post
              For those reporting to Nogales,

I just got off the phone with our soon to be supervisor. She recommended a few local hotels but said just to reserve a room for a few days bc once you meet the other new hires you can discuss a way to split the costs for living arrangements.

Whatever transportation you use to get to the port is your issue to figure out. Most people meet up with other new hires and split costs on renting a car. There is a bus but it doesn't drop off anywhere close to the port.

Just so you know, you're not gonna be shadowing anyone. You go to a specific building meant for pre academy stuff like paperwork.

My EOD for Nogales is 12/5. If anyone is interested in splitting costs let me know. If anyone is going to be in WV on 11/18 for the PFT2 let me know and we can discuss splitting the bill for this stuff.
              I sent you a PM
              12/10 test
              1/11 NOR (100 w/vet)
              3/11 TO (AZ)
              10/11 Referred to Sched
              11/11 The Call (Nogales)
              12/2/11 pft2
              12/19/11 EOD
              2/6/12 FLETC

Comment

• another question. Hopefully the last. I would be starting off at GS5, how easy is it to move up or earn a higher pay? I feel like the pay is low considering the risks. It's also a major concern in deciding if I could even afford to live out there, or much more importanly afford a home.

Comment

• Not holding my breath. Must be no problems on the South East.
                  App. 7.2011
                  Test 7.2011
                  N.O.R. 9.2011
                  TSL1 MAY-2012
                  TSL2 May-2012
                  B.I. -In Security Office
                  PFT1-June-Passed-2012
                  Medical - July-2012
                  VBT/SI - July-2012

Comment

• Originally posted by amillot View Post
                    another question. Hopefully the last. I would be starting off at GS5, how easy is it to move up or earn a higher pay? I feel like the pay is low considering the risks. It's also a major concern in deciding if I could even afford to live out there, or much more importanly afford a home.
                    You will move up to GS12 step 10 without having to compete for promotions. That is pretty good pay.

Start as a GS5, next year you will be a GS7, the year after that GS9....GS11...GS12
                    CBPO
                    TO - 05/08 JFK
                    EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Good to know, thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnylaw View Post
                        Well it seems the poly thing is not consistent across the board. Prior to the most recent annoucment, very few actually took a poly. With the most recent annoucement, it seems everyone is taking a poly and it is being given before an actual BI is done, and if you "pass" you get an interim clearance and are sent to the training, before the BI is completed.

With those that "fail" the poly, it seems now that some are given another chance to retake, while others are not given a chance and are told that you fail and are unsuitable for employment and will never be hired by DHS forever. If one is not allowed to appeal a decision or to request a restest, while others are automatically given one, this seems to be inconsistent treatment, and quite frankly a violatino of due process.

It should be noted that the polygraph was never meant to be used the way it is being used by CBP. It was not meant to be used an "end-all" to an employment decision. It is in all actuality an interrogation tool and a supplement to a background investigation. IMHO, it is a violation of statute to base a suitability decision purely on a polygraph (a test that is inheritently inaccurate).

Statistics are a failure rate of around 60% for CBP, and when given a retest, about 20% of those 60% pass the 2nd time.

It seems that around 20% of the 60% that fail are false positives and if not given a chance to retest are "acceptable losses" to the CBP. Perhaps if polys were give to everyone, including current employees and the top brass, when 60% come back failing and careers are potentially ruined, the policy might be reconsidered...
                        I understand your frustration, but CBP is not the 1st or the only agency that does a Poly to prospective new hires. Those that are given a re-test is because their results were "inconclusive" on some of the questions. If you come out as "deceptive" you will not be given that opportunity. I know that the test is flawed and is not even acceptable in court, but it is used as a tool in many agencies across the country be it local, State or Federal. I have read about officers with prior passing poly's, and no changes in their lives/habits to fail one a few years down the road... giving the same answers to the same questions.
                        I do wish the best of luck for you in the future, and don't give up if LE is what you want...
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

Well it seems the poly thing is not consistent across the board. Prior to the most recent annoucment, very few actually took a poly. With the most recent annoucement, it seems everyone is taking a poly and it is being given before an actual BI is done, and if you "pass" you get an interim clearance and are sent to the training, before the BI is completed.

I think unfortunately it is what it is. I know multiple people who have recently failed their CBP poly, all of whom deserve the job based upon what I know of their moral character among other positive attributes. I know someone who hasn't touched drugs or alcohol his whole life, practically a 4.0 student in college, straight as an arrow, eagle scout, couldn't possibly find a better applicant and he failed his polygraph trying to get in with the FBI. Talk about devastated......it sucks, it sucks to know that 60% of us who are waiting to enter the process will fail the poly, regardless of background or criminal history. I hope another door opens up for you somewhere along the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                            You will move up to GS12 step 10 without having to compete for promotions. That is pretty good pay.

Start as a GS5, next year you will be a GS7, the year after that GS9....GS11...GS12
                            Is this link accurate with the locality rate on the bottom of the site, for CBPOs?

http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html

Comment

• Originally posted by veno135 View Post
                              Is this link accurate with the locality rate on the bottom of the site, for CBPOs?

http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html
                              From what I've see it appears to be.

Straight from OPM, 2011 pay scales...

http://www.opm.gov/oca/11tables/indexGS.asp

Comment

In December 2010, I failed the polygraph for US Secret Service Special Agent. At the time I was already a correctional officer with the BOP. In July 2011, I was hired by Border Patrol. What I am saying is that the failed polygraph does not speak of a persons true character, and at the same time, it isn't an end to your LE career goals. Apply elsewhere, and don't give up.
                                What is Perseverance?
                                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9442 users online. 478 members and 8964 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X