Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am from far El Paso, and a 2 hr commute isnt' bad. I can handle that. I lived in Dallas "The Metroplex" and commuting isn't uncommon. I'm just thrilled about being offered something closer.
    Also, the EOD, Dec. 19th, works great, for I'm currently a teacher and students leave for Christmas vacation on the 18th. That lets me get a feel for the job, prior to resigning. My only concern as stated is getting injured, for I underwent ACL surgery about 3 years ago. My leg has healed, but I can't control being concerned. ACL and miniscus surgery isn't FUN!!!!!!

Anyways, currently, I can run the 1.5 at 14 min. 30 sec., 220 yards in 43-44 sec., 34-35 sit-ups, and 25 push ups. I just hope that weather and health doesn't interfere on the PFT2 day. These past four years have been a rollercoaster ride!!!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Pft2 "pushups"

Question!!!!! I've been practicing my pushup just as they were administered on the PFT1. Reviewing some previous post, it seems that the standards are very different for PFT2. Please, if you have taken this test and have any inforamtion as to how low the pushups must go, share!!!!! I did the nose to floor and OMG!!!! I was shaking at 12!!!! Yikes!!!!! I am 5 '7 and several post say that it depends on your heigth. Nevertheless, I'll practice the harder ones "nose" but I'd like to have a clearer expectation. My husband monitors my exercises and says I'm doing them properly, but it seems too many girls fail this part. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by Swb915; 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swb915 View Post
        Question!!!!! I've been practicing my pushup just as they were administered on the PFT1. Reviewing some previous post, it seems that the standards are very different for PFT2. Please, if you have taken this test and have any inforamtion as to how low the pushups must go, share!!!!! I did the nose to floor and OMG!!!! I was shaking at 12!!!! Yikes!!!!! I am 5 '7 and several post say that it depends on your heigth. Nevertheless, I'll practice the harder ones "nose" but I'd like to have a clearer expectation. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
        When you practice your pushups, do not do your max set. This will tend to train you to do that max set only.

There is a pushup exercise called "Jack Webb" that will really help increase your maximum pushups.

First, understand a correct pushup. Put your palms on the deck, fingers forward. Rest on your toes. Keep your back and legs straight and parallel to each other. Do not hang your head lower than your chest. Lower your upper body until your shoulders are only slightly lower than your elbows. Then straighten your arms to go all the way back to the up position.

Second, do the the math: your max set of pushups divide four and round up to the nearest whole number. (15 divide 4 equals 3.75 which rounds to 4) This will be the top of your pyramid.

Then, do your first Jack Webb set: (1) Do one correct pushup. (2) Go up to your knees in a high kneeling position. (3) With your upper arms parallel to the deck, elbows at 90 degrees, and palms up, do one shoulder press.

Then, do your second Jack Webb set: Two pushups, two shoulder presses.

Repeat until you do the top of your pyramid.

After that, do the exercise in descending numbers until you hit one Jack Webb.

For me, Jack Webb has been the best way to maximize my pushup count. If you can do 30 regular pushups, then you'll have no problem busting out 17, no matter how low you have to go, on PFT2.
        Last edited by Drifting; 11-05-2011, 02:45 AM.
        Gek.

Comment

Also, the EOD, Dec. 19th, works great, for I'm currently a teacher and students leave for Christmas vacation on the 18th. That lets me get a feel for the job, prior to resigning. My only concern as stated is getting injured, for I underwent ACL surgery about 3 years ago. My leg has healed, but I can't control being concerned. ACL and miniscus surgery isn't FUN!!!!!!
          Where do you teach? My wife teaches at EDHS and I know another teacher from there who is also leaving for CBPO. Turn on your PMs, I may have some useful info for you.
          Written: 12/8/10
          NOR: 1/25/11
          TO: 5/11/11
          Fitness/Med: 5/16/11
          BI: 6/14/11
          VBT/SI: 6/20/11
          Drug Screen: 9/29/11
          Call: 10/5/11
          PTF2: 10/14/11
          EOD: 11/7/11 (El Paso)
          FLETC: 12/6/11

Comment

• Welcome to Nogales!

You guys are going to love it there!

Comment

• Pushups

Originally posted by Drifting View Post
              When you practice your pushups, do not do your max set. This will tend to train you to do that max set only.

There is a pushup exercise called "Jack Webb" that will really help increase your maximum pushups.

First, understand a correct pushup. Put your palms on the deck, fingers forward. Rest on your toes. Keep your back and legs straight and parallel to each other. Do not hang your head lower than your chest. Lower your upper body until your shoulders are only slightly lower than your elbows. Then straighten your arms to go all the way back to the up position.

Second, do the the math: your max set of pushups divide four and round up to the nearest whole number. (15 divide 4 equals 3.75 which rounds to 4) This will be the top of your pyramid.

Then, do your first Jack Webb set: (1) Do one correct pushup. (2) Go up to your knees in a high kneeling position. (3) With your upper arms parallel to the deck, elbows at 90 degrees, and palms up, do one shoulder press.

Then, do your second Jack Webb set: Two pushups, two shoulder presses.

Repeat until you do the top of your pyramid.

After that, do the exercise in descending numbers until you hit one Jack Webb.

For me, Jack Webb has been the best way to maximize my pushup count. If you can do 30 regular pushups, then you'll have no problem busting out 17, no matter how low you have to go, on PFT2.
              Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot. This was certainly plenty of information. I just wish I felt more confident about my upper strength because I lost a lot of weight and muscle too. After delivering my child, I was called to do the PTF1 and let me tell you, I was BIG. I was able to do 28 in one minute, but got dropped for being unable to do situps. No surprise!!!! Now that I am 50 lbs. lighter, I feel weaker. I guess practice, practice, practice!!!!!!! Once again thanks for the help.

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice. Declining the offer to take Columbus was difficult, but I had no choice; fortunately, the agent worked with me and offered Santa Teresa, which is a 2 hr. communte there and back. I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!! My EOD date is 12/19. Has anyone been offer this POE?

As to the academy, what can I really expect? My husband has confidence in my ability, but is concerned about being injured. I'm in physical shape, but anything is possible. Also, what is the ratio of women to men? I'm aware I'd be outnumbered, but I'm curious.
                So I'm taking it that your from el paso?? I'm really surprised they didn't offer you el paso since their hiring crazy!!! As for the academy make sure you come in good shape, if not your going to be in trouble!! They are going to be pushing you almost everyday!!! Unfortunately we've already lost one due to a knee injury in the 3rd or 4 th week. And about the ratio, lol, yea not good!! Are class of 41 has 6 females. So maybe 400 to 1!! Lol well good luck and I wish you the best! And if u need anything feel free to ask!!

Comment

• Oh no!!!!

Originally posted by specrtunedgsr View Post
                  So I'm taking it that your from el paso?? I'm really surprised they didn't offer you el paso since their hiring crazy!!! As for the academy make sure you come in good shape, if not your going to be in trouble!! They are going to be pushing you almost everyday!!! Unfortunately we've already lost one due to a knee injury in the 3rd or 4 th week. And about the ratio, lol, yea not good!! Are class of 41 has 6 females. So maybe 400 to 1!! Lol well good luck and I wish you the best! And if u need anything feel free to ask!!
                  I have no idea why they didn't offer El Paso. I know they are hiring a lot, but the agent I spoke to said that people have already been scheduled a PTF2, or EOD already for all of those locations. As to in good shape, what do you mean? I'm a runner, thin, but not very muscular. What or how can you get injured? How many miles do you run or is this through some type of close combat? My husband tells me that just for beign a female, I'll have more pressure, for we're seen as a weaker link, but do they try to weed you out thorugh an injury? I'm not conerned about the academics, but I know that an injury is possible even with the fittest person, and I'd hate giving up my current job and returning home empty handed.

Comment

• So I was called to schedule a drug test on Wed. I took the drug test on Thurs.
                    I took the polygraph 2 weeks ago. Then this morning I get a letter from Office of Internal Affairs, stating that they received noticed that I failed to succesfully complete the polygraph examination requiremnt, and that they will be notifying the Office Of Human Resources Management that I am unsuitable for employment, and that the Office of Human Resources Mgmt. will be providing me with final notice as to the status of my application for employment.

Im not sure why I was asked to take a drug test if I did not "pass" the polygraph. Regardless, it is very dissapointing. I have never taken a polygraph so I am not sure how the test is supposed to go. However, I was only asked a few questions 3 sets of time. I was then told that I failed the test by the Agent. He said I passed the test 98% but that was not good enough. He said that since I lived in x city and x city, that I must have taken drugs and been involved in drug cartels! I was shocked, I have never taken drugs, nor have I even been involved in criminal activity. My answers were not good enough per the agent. He wanted me to "confess" to my sins, because it was the the right thing to do religiously and "for my health". He said he gave tests to applicants who admitted to doing drugs 10's of thousands of times and were hired. He told me to "give him something to work with-to meet him half way-to continue the test-or I could not proceed".

What a joke. I told the truth and I was told I failed. What a sham. I am now being eliminated because of a black box without a background investigation or further inquiry? Give me a hair test, heck give me a spinal tap, ask all my friends, family, teachers, co-workers, girlfriends, etc.. I have never done drugs or been involved in that kind of behavior! I don't understand the heavy hand reliance on this test--IT IS NOT ACCURATE!

I'm not sure if I should respond via letter to the Office of Internal Affairs in DC or wait to hear from the Office of Human Resources, but I would like to dispute the results and request the results be waived and/or be given a chance to retake the "test" with a different agent examiner.

Any suggestions? Im fairly frustrated.

Comment

I have no idea why they didn't offer El Paso. I know they are hiring a lot, but the agent I spoke to said that people have already been scheduled a PTF2, or EOD already for all of those locations. As to in good shape, what do you mean? I'm a runner, thin, but not very muscular. What or how can you get injured? How many miles do you run or is this through some type of close combat? My husband tells me that just for beign a female, I'll have more pressure, for we're seen as a weaker link, but do they try to weed you out thorugh an injury? I'm not conerned about the academics, but I know that an injury is possible even with the fittest person, and I'd hate giving up my current job and returning home empty handed.
                      Every instructor is different. We run at least a mile a half each session which does not include tactics and all that good stuff and we have PT 2-3 days a week. And about injury your right could happen to anybody. I hurt my ankle during the second week and still toughing it out, got 12 weeks left, but just depends on how bad you wanna it! Just keep running and keep your cardio and youll be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnylaw View Post
                        So I was called to schedule a drug test on Wed. I took the drug test on Thurs.
                        I took the polygraph 2 weeks ago. Then this morning I get a letter from Office of Internal Affairs, stating that they received noticed that I failed to succesfully complete the polygraph examination requiremnt, and that they will be notifying the Office Of Human Resources Management that I am unsuitable for employment, and that the Office of Human Resources Mgmt. will be providing me with final notice as to the status of my application for employment.

Im not sure why I was asked to take a drug test if I did not "pass" the polygraph. Regardless, it is very dissapointing. I have never taken a polygraph so I am not sure how the test is supposed to go. However, I was only asked a few questions 3 sets of time. I was then told that I failed the test by the Agent. He said I passed the test 98% but that was not good enough. He said that since I lived in x city and x city, that I must have taken drugs and been involved in drug cartels! I was shocked, I have never taken drugs, nor have I even been involved in criminal activity. My answers were not good enough per the agent. He wanted me to "confess" to my sins, because it was the the right thing to do religiously and "for my health". He said he gave tests to applicants who admitted to doing drugs 10's of thousands of times and were hired. He told me to "give him something to work with-to meet him half way-to continue the test-or I could not proceed".

What a joke. I told the truth and I was told I failed. What a sham. I am now being eliminated because of a black box without a background investigation or further inquiry? Give me a hair test, heck give me a spinal tap, ask all my friends, family, teachers, co-workers, girlfriends, etc.. I have never done drugs or been involved in that kind of behavior! I don't understand the heavy hand reliance on this test--IT IS NOT ACCURATE!

I'm not sure if I should respond via letter to the Office of Internal Affairs in DC or wait to hear from the Office of Human Resources, but I would like to dispute the results and request the results be waived and/or be given a chance to retake the "test" with a different agent examiner.

Any suggestions? Im fairly frustrated.
                        I don't have any advice, but I had an extremely similar experience. I took my polygraph several weeks ago and was also told that I failed due to the drug history question. I also have never taken drugs in my life, a fact which ANYONE a background investigator might contact about me could verify. I don't even drink alcohol. The examiner told me that I was likely trying to conceal recreational drug use or that perhaps I had somehow been involved in the manufacture or sales of drugs, even if I hadn't used them. I felt my examiner was professional, but the test was just dead wrong.

I was so dumbfounded with the results that I even saw a neurologist to determine if I had some sort of autonomic nervous system disorder which may have caused me to somehow react to a question even if I was not lying. The neurologist stated that anxiety about "hoping to get the job" or just the test in general can cause the autonomic nervous system to react and that he hoped to never have to undergo a poly.

I think the polygraph can be used as a valuable tool, but shouldn't be the absolute basis of suitability vs. unsuitability. If there is a question about someone's background or something that comes up during an investigation, maybe a polygraph should be used as a part of the investigation. However, as someone who is financially responsible with perfect credit, absolutely no criminal history, no prior drug use in my life, it's extremely disheartening to know that my dream of serving my country as a CBPO is dead because of a machine that has a very checkered resume. An honest applicant who has nothing to lie about can still be failed while somebody trying to get in to do evil can be trained in countermeasures to defeat it.

I know I'm not owed a job with CBP... but I feel like me and a lot of other people out there are not getting a fair chance at it. Seems like there has to be a better and more effective way to fight corruption within its officers than the poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SharksFan View Post

I think the polygraph can be used as a valuable tool, but shouldn't be the absolute basis of suitability vs. unsuitability. If there is a question about someone's background or something that comes up during an investigation, maybe a polygraph should be used as a part of the investigation. However, as someone who is financially responsible with perfect credit, absolutely no criminal history, no prior drug use in my life, it's extremely disheartening to know that my dream of serving my country as a CBPO is dead because of a machine that has a very checkered resume. An honest applicant who has nothing to lie about can still be failed while somebody trying to get in to do evil can be trained in countermeasures to defeat it.

I know I'm not owed a job with CBP... but I feel like me and a lot of other people out there are not getting a fair chance at it. Seems like there has to be a better and more effective way to fight corruption within its officers than the poly.
                          So sorry to hear that. A good friend of mine had to take the test around a month ago. According to him, they didn't tell him the results, but I'm pretty sure they did. He called me up crying and explaining how the investigator drilled him on "drugs". He said that maybe he had been too honest, but that he didn't lie. He has been trying to get into the system for about 5 years and there is always some type of barrier for him. I know this is his passion, but he feels DHS doesn't want him.
                          I took the poly around 2 weeks ago and I have no idea how I passed, and it is inevitabe to be feel anxious, nervous, or frightened. All the steps that you have successfully taken, and to be dropped by "the lethal chair". As I said, I didn't know what the examiner was going to tell me. I really thought I had failed. I could feel my heart pounding and racing on some of the questions. Certainly I don't pose a threat to the USA, but some of the questions in my opinion are very unfair, because nobody is perfect. I was scheduled to be examined by a male and suddenly a female appeared. She was a tough lady. Just looking at her made me weary. I can tell you she cut me no slack and made me sweat all the way through. I truly had a reflection time, for as a teacher, I'm usually the one testing, and now that I was in my students' postion, I felt sympathy. Just like I told my friend, try again if it is really what you want. I've gone through this ordeal twice, and now that I'm getting closer I have mixed feelings. Without a doubt this is what I want, but I'm afraid of failure.
                          Last edited by Swb915; 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Hey, guys.
                            I applied for the southwest border.
                            My status says I was "reffered to schedule EOD on 10/28". Background investigator called to get some info from me last week. and I just did the VBT/SI. Do you guys think, I should expect the call soon?
                            I'm also hoping, they offer me El Paso, since that's where I grew up and I'm familiar with the area.
                            Last edited by amillot; 11-06-2011, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amillot View Post
                              Hey, guys.
                              I applied for the southwest border.
                              My status says I was "reffered to schedule EOD on 10/28". Background investigator called to get some info from me last week. and I just did the VBT/SI. Do you guys think, I should expect the call soon?
                              I'm also hoping, they offer me El Paso, since that's where I grew up and I'm familiar with the area.
                              Did you get your tentative offer about two months ago?
                              Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
                                Did you get your tentative offer about two months ago?
                                Yes, late August/early September. Can't remember the exact date.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11051 users online. 324 members and 10727 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X