300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pmw9700 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the PROS and CONS of being a CBP officer? Did CBP officer's finally receive LEO status by the federal government? I found some information but it was a bit outdated. Mostly complaints and rants from current and former CBP officers. It seems like the selection is very relaxed compared to other LEO careers and you have to work very long hours for less pay and a poor retirement package compared to other LEO positions. Just looking for some information. Thank you!

The retirement is 6C/12D. Same retirement as most other LEOs, firefighters, etc.

"LEO status"? No, not under the retirement provisions. While our retirement is identical to that of most LEOs, we were not defined as 'LEOs' retirement-wise. Instead we were added as a stand alone group alongside 'LEOs', firefighters, Capitol Police, Supreme Court Police and nuclear materials couriers.

It's GS-12 journeyman pay. Compared to many journeyman LEO positions (BOP, IEA, BOR police, VA police, etc.), the money is there.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      The retirement is 6C/12D. Same retirement as most other LEOs, firefighters, etc.

"LEO status"? No, not under the retirement provisions. While our retirement is identical to that of most LEOs, we were not defined as 'LEOs' retirement-wise. Instead we were added as a stand alone group alongside 'LEOs', firefighters, Capitol Police, Supreme Court Police and nuclear materials couriers.

It's GS-12 journeyman pay. Compared to many journeyman LEO positions (BOP, IEA, BOR police, VA police, etc.), the money is there.
      Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see CBP has a retirement plan. I have a squeaky clean record in regards to criminal history, driving record, work, and credit rating etc.. I have a bachelor's degree from a well known academic university. My only problem is that I experimented with a few drugs early in college. I haven't used a drug in 12 years. How is the CBP hiring process regarding prior drug use? I may have a problem getting a regular law enforcement job with prior drug use, even though it was just a few times.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmw9700 View Post
        Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see CBP has a retirement plan. I have a squeaky clean record in regards to criminal history, driving record, work, and credit rating etc.. I have a bachelor's degree from a well known academic university. My only problem is that I experimented with a few drugs early in college. I haven't used a drug in 12 years. How is the CBP hiring process regarding prior drug use? I may have a problem getting a regular law enforcement job with prior drug use, even though it was just a few times.
        The 1st thing you need to grasp is that CBPO's ARE FLEO's... so, any and all concerns regarding similarities to other agencies about hiring requirements should be understood. If you wouldn't be hired by another LE agency because of your past drug use, what would make you think CBP would? If you did anything more than MJ you're looking at a long-shot to being picked up. Just an FYI.. You can have a degree from Harvard and it wouldn't matter in the hiring process, all you have to do is meet the qualifications either by experience or education.

I'd advice you to read through this thread to learn more about this position and any/all aspects of the hiring process will be answered as well.
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Security clearence

Originally posted by pmw9700 View Post
          If you want to find out if you can pass a federal background investigation here is a link to a book that many people swear by. I started to get scared because, I got fired from a job 5 years ago. I listened to my boss when he told me to do something that I did not know was wrong. I then missed two payments on two credit cards, and they were closed (I was still in my teens so I didn't have any credit history). I also have had a few speeding tickets. I thought that those three things would prevent me from getting a clearance. I read some things the author wrote and two days latter I got the call.

http://www.amazon.com/Federal-Suitab...ref=pd_sim_b_1

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU HAVE DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT-
          http://forums.delphiforums.com/custo...Reading+%3E%3E

THIS SITE HAS A LOT MORE MEMBERS THAT HAVE 10+ YEARS ON THE JOB AND ALL QUESTIONS ARE CATEGORIZED

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE STILL WAITING- ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO ARE GETTING LEAPFROGGED
          12/2010 TEST- 98 non-VET
          5/25 TO
          5/25 Pre-Employment Forms GREEN 7/12
          5/25 Qualifications GREEN 8/2
          6/24 PFT1- GREEN 7/12
          7/8 MED- GREEN 8/2: YES MY MEDICAL WAS GIVEN AFTER PFT1
          7/18 VBT+SI- GREEN 8/4
          7/26 MET W/ BI AT WORK
          8/2 MET W/ DIF. BI AT HOME
          8/2 A THIRD BI WENT TO TALK TO PREV PROF
          8/5 DRUG TEST- GREEN 8/18
          8/11 A FOURTH BI TALKED TO REF. #7+#8
          10/13~ BI CLEARED
          10/13 GOT THE CALL-10/14 ANSWERED THE CALL
          10/26 PFT2 PASSED
          11/21 EOD SAN LUIS
          12/15-4/24 FLETC

Comment

• Does anyone know if they allow you to wear a watch during the PFT2? Also, do they use the 4 inch block under you during the pushup test? Thanks

Comment

• They will not allow a watch, or any other electronic device; however, as I mentioned above, the administrators will call out your time after each lap. It helped me...I would calculate in my head how much it would take me at the same rate of speed...and that, in itself, kept my mind thinking about something other than being tired.

The foam block will only be used for female testers. For males, in place of the foam block, one of the test admins will use their fist. Your chest will have to touch the admin's fist for each push-up to count. On my last push-up, my chest barely grazed the admin's fist and he hesitated on the count, so I gave him an extra one just for good measure. I was trying not to pound my chest on his fist, but after I went, he welcomed everyone to smash his fist into the ground so there would be no doubts.
              Written: 12/8/10
              NOR: 1/25/11
              TO: 5/11/11
              Fitness/Med: 5/16/11
              BI: 6/14/11
              VBT/SI: 6/20/11
              Drug Screen: 9/29/11
              Call: 10/5/11
              PTF2: 10/14/11
              EOD: 11/7/11 (El Paso)
              FLETC: 12/6/11

Comment

• Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• You're welcome! I'm glad to be of some service after being a reader for so long. I can understand your preoccupation with the pft2. I never felt right when people would congratulate me because I knew I still had the pft2 to get through. It would just make more nervous knowing all these people at work expected me to be moving on and that I only had a week to prepare for the end of a long process. By the time the test date came, I was more worried about passing the blood pressure test! I figured adrenaline would help me through the rest, and it did. Al l my times improved at the test.

If you have more questions I'd be glad to help out. It seems to be the only thing I have concrete knowledge about.

For those who have been emoloyed by CBP for at least a year, does your first grade level increase come a year after EOD (pre-academy), or after finishing FLETC and starting at your port?
                  Last edited by OPJr; 10-23-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OPJr View Post
                    For those who have been emoloyed by CBP for at least a year, does your first grade level increase come a year after EOD (pre-academy), or after finishing FLETC and starting at your port?
                    Your first grade increase is 27 pay periods after your EOD. It is always the 27th pay period which will rarely line up with the calender year.
                    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Inconsistent PFT2

Originally posted by OPJr View Post
                      They will not allow a watch, or any other electronic device; however, as I mentioned above, the administrators will call out your time after each lap. It helped me...I would calculate in my head how much it would take me at the same rate of speed...and that, in itself, kept my mind thinking about something other than being tired.

The foam block will only be used for female testers. For males, in place of the foam block, one of the test admins will use their fist. Your chest will have to touch the admin's fist for each push-up to count. On my last push-up, my chest barely grazed the admin's fist and he hesitated on the count, so I gave him an extra one just for good measure. I was trying not to pound my chest on his fist, but after I went, he welcomed everyone to smash his fist into the ground so there would be no doubts.
                      My friend took his PFT2 in Detroit 6 weeks ago. They used the foam block for everyone. They also had applicants holding each others feet. They could spread their feet up to 1 foot. I also asked a test administrator on delphi if they always use the foam block. He said they are allowed to use a fist, but he has never done that for anyone. I wonder if MHC knows about the inconsistencies?
                      12/2010 TEST- 98 non-VET
                      5/25 TO
                      5/25 Pre-Employment Forms GREEN 7/12
                      5/25 Qualifications GREEN 8/2
                      6/24 PFT1- GREEN 7/12
                      7/8 MED- GREEN 8/2: YES MY MEDICAL WAS GIVEN AFTER PFT1
                      7/18 VBT+SI- GREEN 8/4
                      7/26 MET W/ BI AT WORK
                      8/2 MET W/ DIF. BI AT HOME
                      8/2 A THIRD BI WENT TO TALK TO PREV PROF
                      8/5 DRUG TEST- GREEN 8/18
                      8/11 A FOURTH BI TALKED TO REF. #7+#8
                      10/13~ BI CLEARED
                      10/13 GOT THE CALL-10/14 ANSWERED THE CALL
                      10/26 PFT2 PASSED
                      11/21 EOD SAN LUIS
                      12/15-4/24 FLETC

Comment

• Agreed with the inconsistencies. Everyone in my group used the foam blocks but they were different in height depending on the tester's actual height. Also, I was allowed to wear a digital watch during the mile and a half. I would bring it. The worst they can say is to take it off.
                        Last edited by sems1987; 10-23-2011, 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by OPJr View Post
                          Also, in case it matters, they will hold your feet together for the sit-ups. One tester asked if he could place his feet farther apart and they said no. He had practiced with his feet apart because it was easier for him. ... Unfortunately, it did make a diference for him.
                          (For all applicants pending FLETC dates) Frankly, if you are truly worried about 25 sit ups and seventeen push ups, you probably aren't ready for FLETC. If these minimum qualifications are your maximum effort, you will be miserable at the academy. If you are strong enough to be really ready, then you will be able to do the required exercises in the required form, regardless of what the form is. It won't matter whether you can use a four inch block, a fist, a watch, are allowed to spread your feet, or any other little gimmick that your success depends on. If you need your crutch for PFT2, do yourself a favor and don't go to FLETC.

Additionally, work on your writing skills. I'm not saying become Hemingway or an English professor, but know how to use most of the grammar and spelling rules. You will have a hard time if you can't properly distinguish between there, their, and they're and believe that U is a proper substitute for you. If you aren't good at writing, it will be a good idea to befriend a classmate who can write decently.
                          Last edited by Drifting; 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM. Reason: Found a typo ;)
                          Gek.

Comment

• Investigator

Hey, so this week I am meeting with my background investigator. This will be the 2nd time as my first expired after the 2 year mark. He told me that my case was marked "expedited" ... does this mean I may get a call soon after or does this mean simply that it just simply needs to get done to just get back in TSU with all my ducks in a line quickly? I am pretty sure I remember my first investigator 2 years ago also saying my case was "flagged" as being "expedited" ... and, well, 2 years went by already with no news...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
                              Hey, so this week I am meeting with my background investigator. This will be the 2nd time as my first expired after the 2 year mark. He told me that my case was marked "expedited" ... does this mean I may get a call soon after or does this mean simply that it just simply needs to get done to just get back in TSU with all my ducks in a line quickly? I am pretty sure I remember my first investigator 2 years ago also saying my case was "flagged" as being "expedited" ... and, well, 2 years went by already with no news...
                              Gbeck422,

I do not know if you saw... but I was hired for Northern New York. Tomorrow starts my 4th week at FLETC. I know that the ports up north need some bodies so I wouldn't be shocked. However, I wouldn't work myself up to think that I was going to get hired. Just get that dang BI over and done with so you can jump in line for hire! Best of luck to you. Keep me posted if you hear something and especially when you get hired!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                                Your first grade increase is 27 pay periods after your EOD. It is always the 27th pay period which will rarely line up with the calender year.
                                Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3895 users online. 195 members and 3700 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X