300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SDotNY View Post
    July-ish... I figured something was up when someone from CBP called in regards to a few loose ends a few days ago.
    Thanks, I met with mine July 6th tied up loose ends Aug. 3rd and still waiting. It's the last thing to clear almost 1 month now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
      Well then maybe there should be weight standards and continued PFT2's every 6 months...
      The Unions would have a fit. Employees can't be held to fitness standards unless you give on duty time to train for them.
      Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
        The Unions would have a fit. Employees can't be held to fitness standards unless you give on duty time to train for them.
        Yeah that's the problem, "Unions." An employer can't tell the employees that they need to lose weight and workout because they can't do there job anymore because they gained to much weight. Why should a employer have to spend more money on a lazy employee?

Comment

Well then maybe there should be weight standards and continued PFT2's every 6 months...
          I'm game for that.

You all think the union would have a fit?

CBP management would flip as well if they were looking forward to building gyms and/or buying gym memberships and scheduling 'workout time' for 21K CBPOs. Which is what they'd have to do if there was a fitness standard that held any teeth.

Truthfully, just about any federal LEO job lacks a meaningful fitness standard for anybody beyond trainees. A few might have 'participation' standards, but show me where there is a court decision or MSPB case that actually removes a non-probationary fed for failing to reach/maintain a fitness standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by ten30code01 View Post
            Yeah that's the problem, "Unions." An employer can't tell the employees that they need to lose weight and workout because they can't do there job anymore because they gained to much weight. Why should a employer have to spend more money on a lazy employee?
            That is an overly simplistic way to look at the issue. As has been stated earlier in the thread, if you have fitness standards more likely than not you will have to provide on duty time to work out. This opens up many problems the biggest being staffing and scheduling. There are several FLEO agencies that are not represented by Unions and are given work out time. The one office I am very familiar with has about 50 people on staff maybe two of them take advantage of the privilege. The problem is not Unions. The problem is human nature. You are generally not going to have a successful physical fitness program unless you have some type of positive reward in place. The most successful fitness programs in law enforcement agencies that I have seen involve a monetary reward. You will not see that in the Federal employment system.

FB

Comment

• Anyone know for those who got the call for (South Texas) if they are still offering many ports, or just whatever they give you. Brownsville, Progresso, Hidalgo, Roma, Rio Grande City, or Eagle Pass.

(Texas All Other SWB Texas)
              Test 12/16/2010
              NOR- 1/25/2011 84%
              TSL1-5/25/2011
              TSL2-5/26/2011
              Pre-Employment Forms- 8/18/2011 cleared
              Fitness-7/18/2011 cleared
              Medical-7/28/2011 cleared
              Qualifications-8/18/2011 cleared
              VBT/SI-8/26/2011 cleared
              Met BI-7/26/2011 In security office
              Drug Test-9/8/2011 Cleared

BPA (South Texas)
              Written- 10/5/2011

Comment

• I dare say that most ports do not have fitness/weight rooms. Of those that do, I doubt many are large enough or equipped enough to handle the majority/every CBPO at the port, which is more or less what would be needed if there was a mandatory fitness requirement. Are we going to hold guys in port without gyms to the same standards as those who work in facilities with fitness rooms? What about guys in small ports like Sarles, ND or Sasabe, AZ? We're talking of guys in ports without port fitness rooms and at locations 60-70 miles away from any town large enough to have local fitness centers. What do we do for them...build them new buildings and move in new government funded fitness equipment? Pay huge amounts of overtime to ship people 70 miles one way to work out?

Plus, who sets the standards? Are 55 year old women going to be held to the same standards as 23 year old men? Will we have dozens of different standards based on gender differences, age, etc?

In short, mandatory fitness standards(outside of new hires) would be a nightmare for CBP to fund, implement and manage...which is one big reason why we'll never see them.

Comment

I would want it a little difficult, something that's more challenging. At least for the first month, make it "hell month" or something silly. Knowing what I know now about boot camp, I could breeze through it.

Being a prior coastie, did you know Cape May has changed a lot? They now have an obstacle course, "stress cards", and no more live fire shooting.

I'm sure the applicant pool for BPA is slightly different from CBPO...I've seen grossly overweight CBP's, but haven't seen many BPA's out of shape...Maybe the tube only shows in shape guys and gals lol.
                  I was aware of the stress cards (what a crock!), and we had an obstacle course when I went through. We didn't have to run it because they closed it down for winter, same for the 41's. They pulled them and had them on the pier side. I didn't know about the live fire change. Of course, I only got to reload mags for my class as myself and several others missed the first few minutes (literally!), of the initial classroom time. They told us "sorry, you're not shooting". I qual'd at my first unit. We also had to wear the 1950's era gym/swim trunks, Chuck Taylor tennis shoes and cheap flimsy boxers!

With the BP we did have a "hell day", but it was in PT class. We also had our share of tubbies. They either failed out or lost weight (simply due to the amount of PT).

I believe LE in general is pushing for a more "in shape" new hire, but as stated, not really doing anything to keep them that way once on board. I'm currently local LE and was one of the last academy classes to go through without (basically), a PFT. They actually used our class to run courses to find an average time to set a standard to prior to implementing it.

Comment

• Does anyone know the acceptable window for blood pressure and resting heart rate to take PFT2? Is it published somewhere?
                    Gek.

Comment

• What about that one court case where an overweight and out of shape officer got in to a fight and was losing, and ended up using deadly force? The family of the victim sued the officer and won, with the judge stating that although the officer used deadly force because there was a possibility the officer could have been killed, the judge also claimed that law enforcement officers should uphold a certain physical standard and found him/his department liable...

Did that sound right? I'm pretty sure that's a court case out there or something...

If that's true, then I believe that a certain physical standard should be met. Plus, you might not have to motivate people with rewards and/or incentives. You could just tell them if they don't stay in shape, you lose your job. Or, you incorporate physical fitness with promotion some how.

Comment

• Just spoke with someone at MHC, Drug screening cleared. Now only if the Quals, Forms, and Background would magically turn green that would be great...

Comment

• Interview cleared in "3" days! Just finished my BI and green on drug test.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsakrl View Post
                            Anyone know for those who got the call for (South Texas) if they are still offering many ports, or just whatever they give you. Brownsville, Progresso, Hidalgo, Roma, Rio Grande City, or Eagle Pass.

(Texas All Other SWB Texas)
                            Test 12/16/2010
                            NOR- 1/25/2011 84%
                            TSL1-5/25/2011
                            TSL2-5/26/2011
                            Pre-Employment Forms- 8/18/2011 cleared
                            Fitness-7/18/2011 cleared
                            Medical-7/28/2011 cleared

Looks like we have the same timeline more or less. Hopefully they call us soon bc this wait seems like forever especially bc the only thing pending is the bi.
                            Qualifications-8/18/2011 cleared
                            VBT/SI-8/26/2011 cleared
                            Met BI-7/26/2011 In security office
                            Drug Test-9/8/2011 Cleared

BPA (South Texas)
                            Written- 10/5/2011
                            CBPO
                            Test- 12/9/10
                            NOR- 1/07/11
                            T.O.- 4/1/11
                            Med/fitness- cleared 5/13/11
                            Qualifications & premployment- cleared 6/20/11
                            Drug Test-cleared 8/11/11
                            Vbt/si- cleared 8/19/11
                            Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 9-8-11)
                            Pft2- ?
                            Eod- ?

Comment

Did that sound right? I'm pretty sure that's a court case out there or something...
                              Frankly, that sounds like myth or something that some academy PT instructors made up.
                              Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
                                Frankly, that sounds like myth or something that some academy PT instructors made up.
                                Hah, you might be right...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8581 users online. 229 members and 8352 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X