Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • speaking of, I recall hearing my investigator tell me I could get copies of what my references said. I passed on that option the first time around, and don't really care this time around either, but how would I go about that anyway? The last I saw of my investigator was her driving out of the parking lot at my work after meeting a couple coworkers. Haven't heard a thing since (2 months) from her but that's kind of how my last one went as well.

    Comment


    • The call!!

      Hi everyone!! Just wanted to give an update.....I recieved "The Call" Last Friday!!!! Looks like i will be at the Academy Nov. 18th!! Anybody else headin out fot that class?

      Comment


      • I'm sorry if this is a rehash post, but with over 1000 pages of thread to work through, even the search function couldn't find the answers I'm looking for, exactly. The closest answer was actually in the BPA thread, but I'll ask again here since I'm applying for both and am not certain if the two careers have similar pathways.

        Basically, assuming everything in my application continues to run smoothly and I'm fortunate enough to get hired as a CBPO, I'm curious what the long-term outlook is like.

        The BPA post I mention described a fairly rapid advancement rate, with raises happening within months and stepping up at a steady rate from that point on, assuming you're doing well. Is the promotion rate through the GS scale similar for CBPO's? Is there a rough guideline, or any advice, regarding this? Honestly, the advancement chances within CBP seem outstanding compared to my current job, where I've been making roughly the same salary, doing the same kinds of things for five years. What's the five year outlook like in CBP?

        Also, I know that I'm committed to the SWB as part of my application, and that after the 2 year probation period that transfers to other locations and duties are possible, but not guaranteed. What factors affect this? I'm excited to move and see a new part of the country, and am ok living there as long as required, but I'd be quite keen on moving around after some time spent on the SWB to experience life in different places. Are the chances of such a transfer at least fair? What are the chances of travel outside of the US, in either the CSI or pre-clearance locations?

        I'm sure "the needs of the service" override everything else, as always, information from more experienced folks is always valued. Sorry to scattergun the questions, but the prospect of moving across the country and into an entirely new career has me re-evaluating a few things.

        Thanks, again.
        CBPO

        Test: 7/2011
        TO: 8/29/2011
        NOR: 8/30/2011
        VBT/SI: 9/27/2011
        PFT1: 9/28/2011

        BPA

        Test: 8/2011
        TO: 9/28/2011

        Comment


        • Drug Screen

          Just got called in and scheduled for a drug test. Funny how it works that I just got a prescription today for an anti-inflammatory (2 weeks worth) and a muscle relaxer (5 days worth) for a slight strain in my back from working out...nothing too serious, just taking precaution. Should I bring my prescriptions with me or just tell them what I'm taking?

          Does anyone know how this works? I'm sure they aren't concerned about "those" kinds of drugs, but just want to make sure.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
            Just got called in and scheduled for a drug test. Funny how it works that I just got a prescription today for an anti-inflammatory (2 weeks worth) and a muscle relaxer (5 days worth) for a slight strain in my back from working out...nothing too serious, just taking precaution. Should I bring my prescriptions with me or just tell them what I'm taking?

            Does anyone know how this works? I'm sure they aren't concerned about "those" kinds of drugs, but just want to make sure.
            I just took mine last week. They will ask you what med you are taking. You can never go wrong if you take it with you to show also. They will must likely take note of the med.
            Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
            New Geo: GA 6/13/11
            New NOR: 6/14/11
            TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
            QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
            BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
            Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
            VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
            MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
            DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
            Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
            Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
            Fit2: ?
            EOD: ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jd.aguilar81 View Post
              Hi everyone!! Just wanted to give an update.....I recieved "The Call" Last Friday!!!! Looks like i will be at the Academy Nov. 18th!! Anybody else headin out fot that class?
              Congrats! When did you take your drug test and how long did it take to get the results
              Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
              New Geo: GA 6/13/11
              New NOR: 6/14/11
              TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
              QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
              BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
              Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
              VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
              MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
              DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
              Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
              Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
              Fit2: ?
              EOD: ?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zilch1979 View Post
                I'm sorry if this is a rehash post, but with over 1000 pages of thread to work through, even the search function couldn't find the answers I'm looking for, exactly. The closest answer was actually in the BPA thread, but I'll ask again here since I'm applying for both and am not certain if the two careers have similar pathways.

                Basically, assuming everything in my application continues to run smoothly and I'm fortunate enough to get hired as a CBPO, I'm curious what the long-term outlook is like.

                The BPA post I mention described a fairly rapid advancement rate, with raises happening within months and stepping up at a steady rate from that point on, assuming you're doing well. Is the promotion rate through the GS scale similar for CBPO's? Is there a rough guideline, or any advice, regarding this? Honestly, the advancement chances within CBP seem outstanding compared to my current job, where I've been making roughly the same salary, doing the same kinds of things for five years. What's the five year outlook like in CBP?

                Also, I know that I'm committed to the SWB as part of my application, and that after the 2 year probation period that transfers to other locations and duties are possible, but not guaranteed. What factors affect this? I'm excited to move and see a new part of the country, and am ok living there as long as required, but I'd be quite keen on moving around after some time spent on the SWB to experience life in different places. Are the chances of such a transfer at least fair? What are the chances of travel outside of the US, in either the CSI or pre-clearance locations?

                I'm sure "the needs of the service" override everything else, as always, information from more experienced folks is always valued. Sorry to scattergun the questions, but the prospect of moving across the country and into an entirely new career has me re-evaluating a few things.

                Thanks, again.
                On both BPA and CBPO you will go up in pay-grade every year automatically until you hit journeyman. After that you will have to compete for a higher pay-grade level. The steps come into effect after reaching your journey level.
                As to your movement back outside the SWB.... GOOD LUCK! You will have to do at least 5 years, unless you're able to find a swap for where you want to go, and that person wanting to go where you are... There are other ways, but you still have to put your time in.

                BTW probation period is 1 year from EOD, but you still have 37 weeks of post academy to complete (for CBPO)... not sure about BPA post academy.
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

                Comment


                • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                  As to your movement back outside the SWB.... GOOD LUCK! You will have to do at least 5 years, unless you're able to find a swap for where you want to go, and that person wanting to go where you are... There are other ways, but you still have to put your time in.
                  Another way of moving out of the SWB is to achieve status (if you aren't already a federal employee) and apply for status positions located away from the SWB. There are many jobs posted on USAJOBS that are limited to U.S. Customs and Border Protection employees only, and you may or may not be eligible for them assuming you have the education and/or experience.
                  CBP Officer
                  Initial Application: 11/16/10
                  Test Exam: 12/13/10
                  Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
                  New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
                  Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
                  Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by AnonymousPerson View Post
                    Another way of moving out of the SWB is to achieve status (if you aren't already a federal employee) and apply for status positions located away from the SWB. There are many jobs posted on USAJOBS that are limited to U.S. Customs and Border Protection employees only, and you may or may not be eligible for them assuming you have the education and/or experience.
                    You can have al the status in the world, and it all boils down to your port being willing to let you go...That's why you have to put your time in, 2-3 years at the least.
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

                    Comment


                    • NOR for Veterans

                      Hey, is the score given on the NOR include the veteran points? My NOR said "Not adjudicated" next to the noted veterans points. does this mean the score on the initial NOR is shy my points until my veterans status is confirmed? Any good info appreciated. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • Poly

                        I got called for the polygraph, tomorrow morning... I'm not gonna lie but i'm really nervous from all of the "horror stories" i have read. We shall see.
                        Test: 12/10 (Geo: BUF) New Geo: AZ 5/03/11 TO:5/25/11
                        Pre-Employment and Quals: Pending
                        BI: Started 6/11 met with investigator 7/26/11...Pending
                        Fit1: 6/30/11........Completed
                        VBT/SI: 8/12/11...Completed
                        MED: 7/10/11.... Completed
                        DT: 9/08/11... Completed Fit2: ? EOD ?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                          You can have al the status in the world, and it all boils down to your port being willing to let you go...That's why you have to put your time in, 2-3 years at the least.
                          Your port cannot legally prevent you from taking another job, regardless of it being located on the SWB or not.
                          CBP Officer
                          Initial Application: 11/16/10
                          Test Exam: 12/13/10
                          Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
                          New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
                          Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
                          Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by AnonymousPerson View Post
                            Your port cannot legally prevent you from taking another job, regardless of it being located on the SWB or not.
                            If you are talking about going from an officer slot in your port to another POE.... It's not going to happen. We had a Trainee in my class resign because his port would not let him go after being there for 1 year... He had Federal "status", even though it was on his contract, his port said NO so he simply quit.

                            Now if you're talking about about some other Federal job, of course they can't... all you have to do is resign and move on.
                            CBPO
                            Written: 08/29/2007
                            EOD: July 11, 2011

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by AnonymousPerson View Post
                              Your port cannot legally prevent you from taking another job, regardless of it being located on the SWB or not.
                              Your Port does not have to release you for a lateral position. They cannot keep you from a promotion or an outside position, but CBPO to CBPO they have to approve.
                              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by cbpo kid View Post
                                does anyone know if having a foreign girlfriend and being honest about it affects you cbpo application?
                                just be honest, include her info in the packet. no problem, assuming she is clean.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8239 users online. 414 members and 7825 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X