300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
    WHERE DO YOU LIVE FOR TEMPORARY HOUSING??

I'm just really curious...what do most of you guys do as far, as living arrangements, when you EOD at your POE for 3-4 weeks prior to FLETC? Do you guys go and rent an appartment for that short period of time? Do you reside in a hotel? For single guys without families to move, it's not a concern. However, for those of us with families to move AFTER FLETC, where do you reside durring your pre FLETC time?

Just to clarify the proposed situation, an example: I live in Detroit, MI and I am requesting a SWB geo. Whenever I get my EOD, I am assuming that I would go by myself (as opposed to moving the entire family) for those few weeks and then head our to GA. for the 6 months. THEN come back and move the family out to my POE area. Where do most of you guys in similar situations reside durring your short stay at the POE?

Thanks for any ideas/help.
    Try for an extended stay motel/hotel w/ a gym. If you have AAA, that's typically your best option. If not, try the govt rate... but that's sometimes more expensive.... or you could always rent a room from someone.

Comment

Last edited by Freefallin; 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM.
      CBPO
      TO:04/01/11
      EOD: 08/22/11
      FLETC:09/07/11

Comment

• Originally posted by tippmann87 View Post
        Does anyone that is or has been to FLETC have suggestions on what to bring? I leave for FLETC next week and haven't been told anything. I thought there would have been a list with suggestions such as X-amount of shirts, running shoes, boots, etc. Thanks for the help!
        CBP will reimburse you for two 50 pound suitcases for your flight to FLETC - over-sized baggage fees are at your own expense. Consider that you will be issued about 40 pounds worth of gear (belt and its accessories, gun, gun lockbox, ammo, body armor, uniforms, and boots) so if you already have two 50 pound suitcases, you are already at your limit without paying out of your own pocket. I found that quite a few people over-packed and ended up mailing a lot of clothes home. I packed an empty duffel bag along with a week's worth of clothes and accessories inside my one suitcase that I brought and filled the duffel with all the issued gear I accumulated while at the academy.

Comment

• Thanks once again... I hope you're next in-line to be called...
          Just hold the faith...
          CBPO GS-7
          Test: 07/25/08 86 w/veteran points
          NOR: 08/01/08
          Tentative Selection: 12/22/08
          1st EQIP: 09/12/10 Completed
          PFT/Medical: 09/22/10 Completed
          2nd EQIP: 02/09/11 Completed
          VBT/SI: 02/08/11 Completed
          Drug Test: 03/10/11 Completed
          BI: 05/10/11 Meet BI
          BI: 09/08/11 BI Completed
          TSU: 09/09/11
          The Call: 09/21/11
          PFT2: 09/30/11
          EOD: 10/03/11
          FLETC: 10/25/11

Comment

• Bi

Dang!!! Just did the pee test and got called.by the BI.....nice

Comment

• Originally posted by psygenix View Post
              Didn't you need to do surgery on your shoulder? If you get injured during PT they'll end up sending you home, and it's up to your port's discretion if they keep you or let you go. It's much better to come in at 100%.
              Psygenix, nope I found out there was no tear or anything significant, probably just doing too much weight in the gym. I'm good to go and can't weight to get to the Academy, I just have to wait for the next class which per the guy on the phone should be around early November.
              CBPO
              Test: 12/6/10
              NOR: 1/25/11
              T.O. 5/25/11
              Geo: Laredo, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
                Guile (and/or anyone else),

Much congrats on The Call. However, I am hoping that you can answer a question for me. When they called you, did they give you a list of POE's to select from? Or was it one location with a choice to take or deny it? And almost more importantly, do they anticipate an immediate response while they are on the phone with you? Or do they give you an amount of time to discuss with family the options and then reply back? Lastly, it sounds as if one MUST go to their POE prior to FLETC. Have any of you guys in here ever heard of someone going directly to FLETC without previously going to their POE for a few weeks?

Again, very excited for you...and also looking forward to learn your thoughts to these questions.

Thanks.
                Verve10, I wish I could help answer more of your questions but I didnt really get into all of that with him since I told him right away he was catching me off guard since CASS still had my Background and Drug Test as pending. He said he understood that it is a very tight time frame to work in (if I had accepted at that time I would have had about 10 days to get to my port assuming I pass the PFT2) which I already knew I would have but was expecting this to happen after everything had cleared in CASS.
                He did need me to give me some kind of an answer at that time but since he gave me the option to go with the next class in order to give me some more time that is what I did. And yes, as far as I know everyone is suppose to go to Pre-Academy from what I have seen on this board.
                CBPO
                Test: 12/6/10
                NOR: 1/25/11
                T.O. 5/25/11
                Geo: Laredo, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                  CBP will reimburse you for two 50 pound suitcases for your flight to FLETC - over-sized baggage fees are at your own expense. Consider that you will be issued about 40 pounds worth of gear (belt and its accessories, gun, gun lockbox, ammo, body armor, uniforms, and boots) so if you already have two 50 pound suitcases, you are already at your limit without paying out of your own pocket. I found that quite a few people over-packed and ended up mailing a lot of clothes home. I packed an empty duffel bag along with a week's worth of clothes and accessories inside my one suitcase that I brought and filled the duffel with all the issued gear I accumulated while at the academy.
                  I'm driving so that won't be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaniajam View Post
                    thanks. I am sooo nervous. Running every day now and i am up to 20 sit ups and 17 push ups so I am almost ready. pray for me!!
                    Just to share some info w/ you.I started running about three weeks ago 1 1/2 mile on track & machine my time wa 20min 1st week/ 3 times
                    2nd week 17 min
                    Today I time myself at the track walk 1 lap warm up
                    Started running first 2 laps, next lap walk 100 meters, ran 300 meters and did the same for the next 3 laps, finish time 15.20 min running at a pace equal to 5.8/ machine . Then walk 2 laps cool down
                    I'm not a runner freak but started walking for a month 2 miles 3 times a week prior started running
                    CBPO
                    Exam: 12/2010
                    GEO: Texas West/N Mexico
                    NOR: Jan 2011
                    TO VRA: 3/2011 El Paso
                    TO: 4/2011 El Paso
                    Pre emp : Completed
                    Qualifications: Completed
                    PT Test: 4/2011 Completed
                    Drug Screening: not required
                    Medical: 4/2011 Completed
                    BI met w/ investigator 7/14 Completed 8/16
                    VBI: 08/12/2011 letter received 8/27 Passed
                    Change GEO,- Southeast 6/08
                    TSU 8/18/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by williburns View Post
                      Just to share some info w/ you.I started running about three weeks ago 1 1/2 mile on track & machine my time wa 20min 1st week/ 3 times
                      2nd week 17 min
                      Today I time myself at the track walk 1 lap warm up
                      Started running first 2 laps, next lap walk 100 meters, ran 300 meters and did the same for the next 3 laps, finish time 15.20 min running at a pace equal to 5.8/ machine . Then walk 2 laps cool down
                      I'm not a runner freak but started walking for a month 2 miles 3 times a week prior started running
                      thank you for that. I did run once around then walk / run the rest of the way, but tomorrow i will pick it up hopefully. By monday i want to at least do 2-3 laps running with no problem.
                      CBPO

GEO: Brownsville, TX
                      Test: 12/2010
                      NOR: 1/2011 (89%-no vet pref.)
                      TO: 6/7/2011
                      PreEmploy Forms: 6/12/2011 (complete)
                      Equip: 6/13/2011
                      FT1: 6/27/2011 (Passed))
                      VBT / SI: 7/11/11 (Passed)
                      BI: 9/13/11 (passed)
                      Medical: 7/15/2011 (cleared)
                      Poly: 8/9/2011(passed)
                      Drug Test: 9/8/2011(passed)
                      got the call: 9/20/2011
                      PFT2: 9/30/2011 (failed run by 40 seconds)
                      NEW PFT2: 05/08/2012
                      New EOD: 05/21/2012

ISO (Immigration Services Officer)

Test: 8/20/2011 (passed)

Comment

• If you can run a consistent 5.3 mph you will finish just before the 17 minute mark. 5.3 mph is barely running lol.
                        Exam: 12/10
                        NOR: 1/25/10
                        Qualifications: (GS-7)
                        T.O: 5/25/11 (Georgia)
                        PFT1: 6/11 (Cleared)
                        B.I.: 6/11 (Started)
                        Medical: 7/11 (Cleared)
                        VBT & S.I.: 7/11(Cleared)
                        Drug Test: 8/11 (Cleared)
                        B.I.: 9/11 (Cleared)
                        PFT2: (rescheduled due to high BP)

Comment

• Originally posted by bott718 View Post
                          If you can run a consistent 5.3 mph you will finish just before the 17 minute mark. 5.3 mph is barely running lol.
                          Bott718,
                          Congrats
                          What was your NOR score?
                          CBPO
                          Test: 12/10

“The only real failure in life is the failure to try.”

"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again." — Aaliyah

Comment

• Originally posted by icecoco View Post
                            Bott718,
                            Congrats
                            What was your NOR score?
                            Thanks. N.O.R. was 80
                            Exam: 12/10
                            NOR: 1/25/10
                            Qualifications: (GS-7)
                            T.O: 5/25/11 (Georgia)
                            PFT1: 6/11 (Cleared)
                            B.I.: 6/11 (Started)
                            Medical: 7/11 (Cleared)
                            VBT & S.I.: 7/11(Cleared)
                            Drug Test: 8/11 (Cleared)
                            B.I.: 9/11 (Cleared)
                            PFT2: (rescheduled due to high BP)

Comment

• Originally posted by GUILE View Post
                              So today I finally got "The Call" but I had a little bit of an issue. My background in CASS was still not cleared and I was just scheduled for my drug test yesterday so I thought everything had to be cleared in CASS before I would get a call. But apparently the guy on the phone told me everything was cleared and it must not have updated in CASS.
                              So with him catching me so off guard in the sense that I still needed to make arrangements with my family, apartment, and such he told me if I wanted I could EOD with the next class in about another month. (Yes that means I still have to get another CALL). So that is what I did and now I have a much better idea of when I will actually be leaving and have ample time to get everything in order to leave.
                              I guess the moral of the story is just because you may not have a green check for your background in CASS does not necessarily mean it has not cleared so when you get to that point with all other steps completed make sure your ready to go at a moments notice so you don't get caught with your pants down like I did.
                              Hi, all. This is my first post, and I'd like to thank everyone here for the time and information that's shared here. It's been a great resource throughout the application process so far.

I tested for CBPO in July 2011 and received a TO a month later for SW Border. E-qip is updated, I have the SI/VBT scheduled for this Monday and Medical the following day. Honestly, I'm surprised at the speed of the whole process. From what I've been reading, normally it takes around 6 months to something like 3 years after the TO before you get called and offered EOD, assuming all goes well. Now, here I am only a couple of months out from taking the test and things are moving with lightning speed, at least in relation to government entities.

Is anyone else who has applied for the SWB seen anything similar? Honestly I applied early, planning on having some time to get my affairs in order here (living in Florida) before making the move. How likely does everyone think that, assuming I pass everything, I'll get called out sooner than the expected six months or more? As you say, getting caught flat-footed wouldn't be good thing.

I think I'd like to also echo Verve10's concerns about living arrangements during your initial EOD. Am I right that I'd be carting myself out West (sans my wife,) for two or three weeks, and then headed back closer to home to Glynco for FLETC, and then back out to my port? I'm not worried about moving so much. Actually, I'd like to move, which is why I applied to begin with. However, finding living arrangements for a 2 or 3 week stretch without knowing anyone in the area (or even which area it may be ) seems challenging, especially on my meager budget. How have people dealt with this in the past?

Thanks for your input. This thread has been invaluable so far.
                              Last edited by Zilch1979; 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling errors...
                              CBPO

Test: 7/2011
                              TO: 8/29/2011
                              NOR: 8/30/2011
                              VBT/SI: 9/27/2011
                              PFT1: 9/28/2011

BPA

Test: 8/2011
                              TO: 9/28/2011

Comment

• What happens after you receive your NOR and are waiting for TO? Anyone else take the test in Altanta get their results back today as well?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8960 users online. 222 members and 8738 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X