300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
    I can tell you as a supervisor with almost 14 years in the service the vast majority of CBP officers do not have a Top Secret security clearance. It is not required to be a CBP officer nor is it granted when you are hired. The only officers that have that need would be officers working in the NTC, certain overseas assignments, and officers assigned to certain taskforces. However, the average line officer does not have Top Secret. Heck, the average line officer doesn't even have Secret.

FB

I asked what type of clearance will I be getting with this position. They emailed me back "SSBI(covers up to 10 yrs of your past) - Top Secret"

Any explainations? My friend who has been with CBP since end of 2003 said he doesn't know why.
    Last edited by ayitearyee; 08-31-2011, 03:06 PM.
    Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
    New Geo: GA 6/13/11
    New NOR: 6/14/11
    TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
    QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
    BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
    Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
    VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
    MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
    DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
    Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
    Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
    Fit2: ?
    EOD: ?

Comment

I can tell you as a supervisor with almost 14 years in the service the vast majority of CBP officers do not have a Top Secret security clearance. It is not required to be a CBP officer nor is it granted when you are hired. The only officers that have that need would be officers working in the NTC, certain overseas assignments, and officers assigned to certain taskforces. However, the average line officer does not have Top Secret. Heck, the average line officer doesn't even have Secret.

FB
      I think is so weird how a non Leo position like a screener for TSA at an air port are requiring background checks for secret clearance and cbpo doesn't. "Hinky"

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
        I asked what type of clearance will I be getting with this position. They emailed me back "SSBI(covers up to 10 yrs of your past) - Top Secret"

Any explainations? My friend who has been with CBP since end of 2003 said he doesn't know why.
        The obvious answer very often is the correct answer. The information MHC is giving you is incorrect. You will not be getting a Top Secret security clearance as a CBP officer unless you are working a position that requires it and I am pretty sure you will not be placed in one of those positions as a new hire. You have been in the hiring process for all of eight or nine months. I have been employed with the agency for almost 14 years. I am telling you the way it is. If you want to listen to a contractor in the hiring center who doesn't do the job more power to you.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by JUGGERNAUT View Post
          I think is so weird how a non Leo position like a screener for TSA at an air port are requiring background checks for secret clearance and cbpo doesn't. "Hinky"
          The way TSA handles security clearances is very similar to CBP not all TSO's get a security clearance. Only the TSO's who are doing jobs that require it are getting them.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-intelligence/

FB

Comment

• When they ask for "date of last contact" they mean the last time you talked to the person? This is for residence references

Also I wanted to make sure this is clear. They want references for those address but not the ones who lived with you?

Also another perhaps stupid question.

"A cohabitant is a person with whom you share bonds of affection, obligation, or other commitment, as opposed to a person with whom you live with for reasons of convenience (e.g. a roommate). If applicable, complete the following about your cohabitant. If your cohabitant was born outside the U.S., provide citizenship information."

If i'm living with my parents, do they count as cohabitants? Or are they looking for girlfriends/boyfriends?
            Last edited by baron6; 08-31-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• I received an 85 on my recent NOR. However, It doesn't say whether or not I passed. Can anyone tell me what the minimum passing score is in order to move on in the process?

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyprice42 View Post
                I received an 85 on my recent NOR. However, It doesn't say whether or not I passed. Can anyone tell me what the minimum passing score is in order to move on in the process?

That's a passing score. You should receive TSL letter some time soon hopefully

Comment

• This exact question was asked at FLETC. Our GS-14 Session Supervisor answered pretty much how Firebug has been saying this whole time. SSBI's are used to clear backgrounds for employment and is the background check used to grant someone a security clearance. Just because you have a SSBI performed on you does not mean a security clearance is automatic. There IS a difference. I'd take the word of a supervisor with 14 yrs in the service and an academy instructor over a GS-5 Human Resources desk clerk who has never performed the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by baron6 View Post
                    That's a passing score. You should receive TSL letter some time soon hopefully
                    I think passing on this one was 70.
                    App. 7.2011
                    Test 7.2011
                    N.O.R. 9.2011
                    TSL1 MAY-2012
                    TSL2 May-2012
                    B.I. -In Security Office
                    PFT1-June-Passed-2012
                    Medical - July-2012
                    VBT/SI - July-2012

Comment

The obvious answer very often is the correct answer. The information MHC is giving you is incorrect. You will not be getting a Top Secret security clearance as a CBP officer unless you are working a position that requires it and I am pretty sure you will not be placed in one of those positions as a new hire. You have been in the hiring process for all of eight or nine months. I have been employed with the agency for almost 14 years. I am telling you the way it is. If you want to listen to a contractor in the hiring center who doesn't do the job more power to you.

FB
                      The problem with reading what someone wrote is that you really can't tell their tone etc(" I am telling you the way it is. If you want to listen to a contractor in the hiring center who doesn't do the job more power to you.")...so I'm going to take it as if you're not projecting anything negative. I wasn't challenging anyone's answer, I was just trying to understand. I asked them a very simple question. You would think they would know some basic things. You would also think that they would not give you incorrect information. I was surprised when they responded with that answer. This is why I brought the question to the forum. You are the first person who works for CBP, who has answered and given some insight. My friend was also surprised and all he said, "I don't know why they would require you to have Top Secret, their are some(those already working with CBP) who do have Top Secret, but I don't even have one."

"Or...does it mean.... SSBI as a minimum through Top Secret as the maximum. Maybe it varies?" When I asked this I was trying to understand why they would give me that answer. That is why I asked for your insight. It seemed like you knew something I didn't (know) and I hoping you would clarify it for me(which you did). I meant nothing by it!

"The obvious answer very often is the correct answer. The information MHC is giving you is incorrect." This information is good to know. I thought MHC if anyone, would give me the most correct information. I was taught this a long time ago, and I and everyone I work with uses it daily, "Trust but verify." I trust MHC but will verify...that is what I was doing here in the forum. I was just trying to verify and most of all understand some things. Thanks for sharing, that's why I use this forum. I appreciate it. Thanks
                      Last edited by ayitearyee; 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM.
                      Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
                      New Geo: GA 6/13/11
                      New NOR: 6/14/11
                      TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
                      QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
                      BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
                      Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
                      VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
                      MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
                      DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
                      Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
                      Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
                      Fit2: ?
                      EOD: ?

Comment

• Anyone know if calls are going out? Or does it stop till the new fiscal year start?
                        TO: 4/09/09
                        Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                        TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                          This exact question was asked at FLETC. Our GS-14 Session Supervisor answered pretty much how Firebug has been saying this whole time. SSBI's are used to clear backgrounds for employment and is the background check used to grant someone a security clearance. Just because you have a SSBI performed on you does not mean a security clearance is automatic. There IS a difference. I'd take the word of a supervisor with 14 yrs in the service and an academy instructor over a GS-5 Human Resources desk clerk who has never performed the job.
                          ++1
                          You have to keep in mind the fact that our position exposes us to quite a bit of sensitive material and information... not to mention the power of enforcing those laws at a POE. This alone requires a thorough BI just to verify the type of person that will be coming in and eventually become a CBPO. I hold a "secret" clearance with the Army, and I never even met an investigator... but I was required to fill out and submit the same SF-86.

I would also advice the poster not to "TRUST" what is said from MHC.... as we came to know from our extended time in the waiting line, they can give you 10 different answers to the same question. So take their responses with a grain of salt...
                          CBPO
                          Written: 08/29/2007
                          EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousPerson View Post
                            Which e-mail address did you use?
                            Can anybody answer this question???, instead of bickering about security clearances. Here's the correct answer....if you need it they will give it to you....if not they wont, and it doesn't much matter. they screen everyone the same up front no matter what.

Comment

• I just sent in my Equip with some forms I forgot to attached. Anyone know what I can do? I can't access Equip anymore since I released the forms...

Comment

• Originally posted by baron6 View Post
                                I just sent in my Equip with some forms I forgot to attached. Anyone know what I can do? I can't access Equip anymore since I released the forms...
                                I actually sent out my equip without the attachments too.. when i emailed them to double check if they got my equip, the guy replied and told me i can just reply back with the needed attachment forms though email.
                                Tested: 8/2008
                                TO: 12/2008
                                GEO: LAX/LB
                                1st TSU: 3/5/09
                                2nd Medical: 6/1/11
                                Cleared 6/22/11
                                2nd BI: met 7/14/11
                                Cleared 9/29/11
                                2nd TSU:
                                Referred to Schedule EOD: 9/23/2011

The Call: 10/24/11
                                EOD: 11/21/11 (LAX)
                                Fletc: 12/30 - 5/7/12

PFT2: 11/4/11 (passed)
                                Final EOD letter: 11/7/11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11487 users online. 410 members and 11077 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X