Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being physically fit for the CBP academy means just having a base level of fitness and not being a complete rag bag. If you can run a 9 minute mile and do 25 pushups and situps you will be just fine. Your mileage may vary with this, and it depends on the PT instructor.

There is a big divide in CBP between legacy guys and new guys. Instructors with the new mindset are trying to make CBP more law enforcement. They are accomplishing this through several changes which I will list below...

1.) Fitness graduation standards - they now have mandatory measures in order to graduate the academy, i.e. 25 pushups in 1 minute and 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes or less.
    2.) Drill and ceremony - you will learn military-style marching in the academy, this is to instill discipline and foster esprit-de-corps.
    3.) Tactics - you will learn patrol tactics and have more practical exercises in dealing with dangerous/armed people than in the past. You will even participate in patrol exercises even though CBPOs do not regularly do patrol work.
    4.) Firearms/Intermediate force - you will come out of the academy qualified for the Remington 870 and the Colt M4. You will also get certified with the x26 Taser.

While these things make the CBP academy more paramilitary, the instructors are still very patient and don't really yell at you unless you totally screw up. They like to foster an open environment where you aren't afraid to ask questions because some of the immigration law we deal with is extremely confusing. You will see the divide between legacy INS, legacy Customs, and people hired since the 2003 merger. They all have differing opinions on how the agency should be run. Some like to act hard, some like to be too forgiving of recruits, but most are a happy medium. This is not as militaristic as some local police academies I have seen where you are getting yelled at and forced to do pushups for every minor infraction.

Comment

• Originally posted by baron6 View Post
      I assumed the email I got was the TSL
      "Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected for the position of Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO)."

Attached are my TSL attachments with my applicant ID. I used that ID and my last 4 digits of my social and it's still not letting me in.

I logged into the usatestmanager.gov and it shows I have tested for CBPO but it doesn't tell me my results

It seems as though I don't have the NOR but rather just the TSL
      From the sound of it you have about 2 years to go in the process. Or at least, that's how long it took me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
        Thats great and all but did you miss the part where he said the port called him back and told him what to wear? You may have been in the process for a long time. However, you are now a new officer. You will learn very quickly that each port is very different and can have different rules that are markedly different than what national policy is. You will find out very quickly that parts of the job are not what you expected and don't necessarily work as advertised. This is information from someone who is a supervisor and has been in the agency for just shy of fourteen years so take as you will.

FB
        +1 sir.

There will be things that you are told are the gospel in the academy only to return to your post-academy and be told something completely different. Just have an open mind. Do what you are told and have integrity. The government hired you because they want you to show up on time, use the good judgement they feel you have, and never stop learning every day you are on this job. Its a lot of fun so just enjoy the ride, no need to over-think it my man.

Comment

• Just got the VBT and SI results today. Took the VBT/SI at Anzadulas POE 8/17 rated "eligible". Good luck to everyone else in the process!

Test 12/16/2010
          NOR- 1/25/2011
          TSL1-5/25/2011
          TSL2-5/26/2011
          Fitness-7/18/2011 cleared
          Medical-7/28/2011 cleared
          Qualifications-8/18/2011 cleared
          VBT/SI-8/26/2011 cleared
          Met BI-7/26/2011 In security office
          Drug Test-??

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp673 View Post
            . You will also get certified with the x26 Taser.
            Yeah I heard a class of CBPOs getting the crap tased out of them last week. I'm not looking forward to that.
            CBPO
            TO - 05/08 JFK
            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• I will give it until the long weekend then make a call in to OPM. thanks for the info.
              App. 7.2011
              Test 7.2011
              N.O.R. 9.2011
              TSL1 MAY-2012
              TSL2 May-2012
              B.I. -In Security Office
              PFT1-June-Passed-2012
              Medical - July-2012
              VBT/SI - July-2012

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp673 View Post
                Being physically fit for the CBP academy means just having a base level of fitness and not being a complete rag bag. If you can run a 9 minute mile and do 25 pushups and situps you will be just fine. Your mileage may vary with this, and it depends on the PT instructor.

There is a big divide in CBP between legacy guys and new guys. Instructors with the new mindset are trying to make CBP more law enforcement. They are accomplishing this through several changes which I will list below...

1.) Fitness graduation standards - they now have mandatory measures in order to graduate the academy, i.e. 25 pushups in 1 minute and 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes or less.
                2.) Drill and ceremony - you will learn military-style marching in the academy, this is to instill discipline and foster esprit-de-corps.
                3.) Tactics - you will learn patrol tactics and have more practical exercises in dealing with dangerous/armed people than in the past. You will even participate in patrol exercises even though CBPOs do not regularly do patrol work.
                4.) Firearms/Intermediate force - you will come out of the academy qualified for the Remington 870 and the Colt M4. You will also get certified with the x26 Taser.

While these things make the CBP academy more paramilitary, the instructors are still very patient and don't really yell at you unless you totally screw up. They like to foster an open environment where you aren't afraid to ask questions because some of the immigration law we deal with is extremely confusing. You will see the divide between legacy INS, legacy Customs, and people hired since the 2003 merger. They all have differing opinions on how the agency should be run. Some like to act hard, some like to be too forgiving of recruits, but most are a happy medium. This is not as militaristic as some local police academies I have seen where you are getting yelled at and forced to do pushups for every minor infraction.
                Thats do-able. I'm looking forward to getting the call to go in Sept(Praying).

The Air Force standards for males 30-39 years old(1 min given):
                PU: 27
                SU: 39
                AB Circumference: 39"
                RUN: 14:00 (1.5 miles)

Males under 30:
                PU: 33
                SU: 42
                AB Circumference: 39"
                RUN: 13:36 (1.5 miles)

If you only reach the minimums in each category, you won't pass the test. You must have composite score of 75.0 AND meet all minimums to pass.

If anyone wants to do the Air Force and is 27 or under, its a good branch of service.
                http://www.afpc.af.mil/affitnessprogram/charts.asp
                Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
                New Geo: GA 6/13/11
                New NOR: 6/14/11
                TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
                QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
                BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
                Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
                VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
                MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
                DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
                Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
                Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
                Fit2: ?
                EOD: ?

Comment

• I received a NOR stating I received an 84, I put in for southwest, but received no TO, I'm assuming 84 isn't a good enough score?

Comment

• Originally posted by jgenao17 View Post
                    How's it going? I have a question for anyone who took the CBPO exam and has gone through the process. I'm a veteran and just received my passing score. My geographic location was the Southwest, but I would like to change it to the NorthEast. Do I send an email to that DEU email and request the change? Or do I need to request the change in writing with the Geographic change written in the NOR?
                    I don't think you can change. If you took the test under the announcement I'm thinking of, it was only for the south.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waterpistola View Post
                      I wouldn't do northeast, 180 has a perfect score and hasn't heard squat on a TO.
                      I don't think he could change because the test was only for the particular location. 180 is correct about Vets. Someone can get 100 and a Vet who receives a 75 with w/ 5 point vet pref included would get a TO first. As long as he passed the test, he will get offered the job first. But.....He must meet all other requirements, so this means he could still be terminated from the process which leaves a spot open.

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
                        I don't think he could change because the test was only for the particular location. 180 is correct about Vets. Someone can get 100 and a Vet who receives a 75 with w/ 5 point vet pref included would get a TO first. As long as he passed the test, he will get offered the job first. But.....He must meet all other requirements, so this means he could still be terminated from the process which leaves a spot open.
                        I believe you're incorrect about the process. Two people with the same score, one being a veteran and the other not, the veteran will get a TO first. Someone with a score of 95 who is not a veteran will get a TO before someone with a score of 94 who in actuality scored an 89 and then had 5 veteran's preference points added to their score. Maybe veteran's can "double dip" in terms of preference in other agencies, but as far as I know with CBP, you get your added Vet pref points, but you don't get to leap frog ahead of others with better scores.

Taken straight from the CBP.gov website:

Any All Sources announcement is open to the public. Any qualified applicant that meets the job qualifications and requirements may apply. A preference, eligible veteran applying under an All Sources announcement would be entitled to Veterans’ Preference. This includes extra points assigned to the rating based on the type of veterans’ preference.

I say this as someone who has the utmost respect for our country's veterans and those who currently serve, and someone who was recently granted an OCS slot in the National Guard.
                        Last edited by 180Degrees; 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• I received my NOR and TO within an hour of each other today. I got a 98 on the test and I don't have any veteran benefits. I have South West Border as my geo. I swear that I was able to choose more specific locations when I applied, but maybe I am wrong. I tested on 8/4/11.

I live in San Diego and can be at Otay Mesa and San Ysidro in 15-20 minutes. Will that affect where my POE would be? I know I'm a while away from getting a POE, but I would only accept the job if I can stay in SD. I don't want to uproot everybody.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
                            I believe you're incorrect about the process. Two people with the same score, one being a veteran and the other not, the veteran will get a TO first. Someone with a score of 95 who is not a veteran will get a TO before someone with a score of 94 who in actuality scored an 89 and then had 5 veteran's preference points added to their score. Maybe veteran's can "double dip" in terms of preference in other agencies, but as far as I know with CBP, you get your added Vet pref points, but you don't get to leap frog ahead of others with better scores.

Any All Sources announcement is open to the public. Any qualified applicant that meets the job qualifications and requirements may apply. A preference, eligible veteran applying under an All Sources announcement would be entitled to Veterans’ Preference. This includes extra points assigned to the rating based on the type of veterans’ preference.

I say this as someone who has the utmost respect for our country's veterans and those who currently serve, and someone who was recently granted an OCS slot in the National Guard.
                            OCS in the Guard. If it's a good job, I would take it. Whats your plan for that? You are correct with that quote, however there is VEOA and VRA which works within the rules. This rule apply not only to Vets but also status candidates. It's not really double dipping....

I will have to ask more questions about VRA:
                            The VRA is a special authority by which agencies can appoint an eligible veteran without competition. The VRA is an excepted appointment to a position that is otherwise in the competitive service. After 2 years of satisfactory service, the veteran is converted to a career-conditional appointment in the competitive service. (Note, however, that a veteran may be given a noncompetitive temporary or term appointment based on VRA eligibility. These appointments do not lead to career jobs.)

Q: How do I know if I can apply to a vacancy announcement?
                            A: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) advertises job vacancies under three “Areas of Consideration:”

* open to the public (All Sources),
                            * restricted to current or former Federal employees and,
                            * current CBP employees only. The area of consideration is noted on the first page of a job announcement under “Who May Apply.” The vacancy announcement’s “Area of Consideration” can be restricted to any one of these areas or a combination of the three.

Under a Merit Promotion announcement, all permanent Federal employees in a competitive position or excepted service position covered by an interchange agreement or someone eligible for reinstatement may apply. In addition, preference, eligible veterans, or any veteran separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous service, may apply.

Note: Veterans receive the same consideration as civil service employees that currently hold a competitive position or status employees. The Veterans’ Reemployment Opportunities Act (VEOA) permits veterans to apply to Merit Promotion announcements.

Merit Promotion (Internal) announcements can also be restricted to current agency employees. When an agency advertises this way you can only apply if you are one of their current employees and meet the eligibility requirements.

This is in addition to the 5/10 points extra.
                            Last edited by ayitearyee; 08-30-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
                              OCS in the Guard. If it's a good job, I would take it. Whats your plan for that? You are correct with that quote, however there is VEOA which works within the rules. This rule apply not only to Vets but also status candidates. It's not really double dipping....

Q: How do I know if I can apply to a vacancy announcement?
                              A: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) advertises job vacancies under three “Areas of Consideration:”

* open to the public (All Sources),
                              * restricted to current or former Federal employees and,
                              * current CBP employees only. The area of consideration is noted on the first page of a job announcement under “Who May Apply.” The vacancy announcement’s “Area of Consideration” can be restricted to any one of these areas or a combination of the three.

Under a Merit Promotion announcement, all permanent Federal employees in a competitive position or excepted service position covered by an interchange agreement or someone eligible for reinstatement may apply. In addition, preference, eligible veterans, or any veteran separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous service, may apply.

Note: Veterans receive the same consideration as civil service employees that currently hold a competitive position or status employees. The Veterans’ Reemployment Opportunities Act (VEOA) permits veterans to apply to Merit Promotion announcements.

Merit Promotion (Internal) announcements can also be restricted to current agency employees. When an agency advertises this way you can only apply if you are one of their current employees and meet the eligibility requirements.

This is in addition to the 5/10 points extra.
                              Except for the fact that I don't believe there has been a Merit Promotion announcement anytime recently, the latest and I believe still current? announcement is an all source announcement, as was the November 2010 announcement. Even still, I'm a current status employee and aside from that nowhere there does it mention that a veteran has preference regardless of score.

As I read it, all that really states is that if CBP decided to open a Merit Promotion announcement (Only open to current DHS? employees), that non DHS employed veterans would also be eligible to apply. Since I am a current status employee, I would be eligible to apply under a merit promotion announcement but the last few announcements have been all source announcements.

Edit: Directly from the OPM website regarding VRA:

Preference in Competitive Examinations
                              Preference eligibles who are qualified for a position and achieved a passing score have 5 or 10 extra points added to their numerical ratings depending on which of the previously described categories of preference they meet. This means the highest possible rating is 110 (a disabled veteran who earns a score of 100 has 10 extra points added).

Names of eligible applicants are placed on lists, or registers of eligibles, in the order of their ratings. Competitor inventories are established from which selections will be made over a period of time and for case examining in which a register is used to fill a single position or a group of positions and is closed after the needed selection(s) is made.
                              Last edited by 180Degrees; 08-30-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
                                Except for the fact that I don't believe there has been a Merit Promotion announcement anytime recently, the latest and I believe still current? announcement is an all source announcement, as was the November 2010 announcement. Even still, I'm a current status employee and aside from that nowhere there does it mention that a veteran has preference regardless of score.

As I read it, all that really states is that if CBP decided to open a Merit Promotion announcement (Only open to current DHS? employees), that non DHS employed veterans would also be eligible to apply. Since I am a current status employee, I would be eligible to apply under a merit promotion announcement but the last few announcements have been all source announcements.
                                You're right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7800 users online. 191 members and 7609 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X