300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clou View Post
    I also got a letter in the mail stating that MHC needed more info on my condition in my right eye( light case of Keratonus).
    I had to go back to the VA and have them finish an eye exam that they started to do three months ago, which was a very detailed exam. Uncorrected in that right eye 20/80 or something like that. corrected 20/20. I had the Veterans Admin send off the paperwork after they filled it out completely, straight back to the Medical Officer. The Doctor said I did fine. 20/20 in both eyes-corrected. I hope so...I come a long way....
    I'm having similar issues as well, I did my exam and the doctor filled an extensive report about my eye prescription and conditions. Not exactly sure of all the Opthomolist wrote but she said I should be fine, let's hope they're right for our sakes... Wondering if this is something they do to everybody with eyesight issues?? Anyways, keep us posted on what you hear back from medical officer, kinda anxious lol. Good luck with everything!

Comment

• Originally posted by GUILE View Post
      Possible Shoulder Surgery Before PFT-2 - Need Advice!
      Guys the only thing still Pending for me in CASS is my Drug Test and waiting on my BI to clear. My GEO is for Laredo and several others with the same GEO and similar timeline have already gotten the call. My shoulder is causing me a lot of problems and I am pretty sure I have a tear (getting MRI next week). If it is in fact torn and I need to have a surgery to fix it which will take months to recover from what will happen if I get scheduled to take my PFT-2 and I'm still recovering from the surgery? Is there anyone I could call or talk to about possibly postponing the PFT-2 if this happens? (this obviously could not have come at a worse time for me in this process I know!)
      Let the hiring center know you are going to have surgery and to delay your PFT-2 until you have fully recovered. Hell.. they might not even call you during your recovery phase.

But if it's a tear, you must get the surgery done. At the academy you will be using a lot of your shoulders and legs. It's far better to be 100% than to fail the PFT-2 or go mid-way through the academy and be let go due to a prior injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by psygenix View Post
        Let the hiring center know you are going to have surgery and to delay your PFT-2 until you have fully recovered. Hell.. they might not even call you during your recovery phase.

But if it's a tear, you must get the surgery done. At the academy you will be using a lot of your shoulders and legs. It's far better to be 100% than to fail the PFT-2 or go mid-way through the academy and be let go due to a prior injury.
        Thanks Psygenix, yes, I agree I could get lucky and they may not even call me during the recovery phase but if they did do you think they would actually let me dealy the PFT-2? Or if I do have to have the surgery I could let them know ahead of time before I get scheduled for the PFT-2? I guess either way I'm kind of taking my chances in the hopes that they will work with me. I just know if it is a tear 7 plus months is a long time to wait especially when your having to use your shoulders a lot as you already mentioned.
        CBPO
        Test: 12/6/10
        NOR: 1/25/11
        T.O. 5/25/11
        Geo: Laredo, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
          I would consider yourself lucky. A TO for a non-SWB or Georgia location with a score of 91 no less (A score of 91 is excellent, however I have to imagine there are plenty of VETS out there with 100+ scores due to vet pref points). Congratulations on your progress......your are moving at ludicrous speed!
          Should I consider myself lucky too? I scored a 90 (w/ vet pref) for the same location (Dulles/Sterling/Alexandria). I did have my interview at Dulles though and did the same. Seems like Dulles is VERY busy as a non-SWB Port of Entry. Doesn't surprise me though since we're right next to the nation's capital. I'm still waiting to hear back from my BI and waiting for a drug test to be scheduled!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
            Should I consider myself lucky too? I scored a 90 (w/ vet pref) for the same location (Dulles/Sterling/Alexandria). I did have my interview at Dulles though and did the same. Seems like Dulles is VERY busy as a non-SWB Port of Entry. Doesn't surprise me though since we're right next to the nation's capital. I'm still waiting to hear back from my BI and waiting for a drug test to be scheduled!
            I think anyone, regardless of score, who has received a TO for a non SWB or Georgia location should consider themselves lucky. From what proposed 2012 budget proposals say, CBP is looking to add approximately 500 more officers for FY 2012 and that includes the major push being made for the SWB. That doesn't leave much to work with for the rest of the country.

This is an interesting POV from NTEU President Colleen Kelley from May 18, 2011:

U.S. northern border ports of entry are critically short of Customs and Border Protection staff, according to the head of the union that represents the border officers.

In testimony submitted this week to the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security, National Treasury Employees Union President Colleen Kelley noted that while ports of entry along the U.S. border with Mexico typically demand the spotlight, the northern boundary remains undermanned — even though it is more than twice as long as the U.S. border with Mexico.

“There has not been a new hire for over two years at the ports of entry in Vermont,” Kelley said. “Ten percent fewer CBP Officers in Vermont are now processing approximately 20 percent more vehicle and commercial traffic.”

CBP inspected more than 45 million vehicles entering the United States from Canada in fiscal 2010, according to the union.

Kelley cited a number of examples in which staffing shortages have affected the agency’s performance, such as a choke point in Buffalo, N.Y., where she said the bureau’s management “is constantly pulling CBP officers from various areas to open auto lanes” to prevent backups. At another port of entry, Kelley said, officers could not attend training because of insufficient coverage.

“All of this should be unacceptable to Congress and the public,” Kelley said.

Best of luck in your process AWTY!

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyw View Post
              thanks!!
              no problem
              Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
              New Geo: GA 6/13/11
              New NOR: 6/14/11
              TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
              QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
              BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
              Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
              VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
              MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
              DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
              Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
              Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
              Fit2: ?
              EOD: ?

Comment

• The extra eye exam

Originally posted by conzept View Post
                I'm having similar issues as well, I did my exam and the doctor filled an extensive report about my eye prescription and conditions. Not exactly sure of all the Opthomolist wrote but she said I should be fine, let's hope they're right for our sakes... Wondering if this is something they do to everybody with eyesight issues?? Anyways, keep us posted on what you hear back from medical officer, kinda anxious lol. Good luck with everything!

Comment

• I will kelp you all informed... good luck to you and all that are pursuing employment with DHS.

Comment

• well be it that many people that tested in november and december are being called and i have not done my BI yet (so weird since i have done everything except drug test) i started applying for other possible positions. immigrations officer exam was last week, and my BPA exam is 9/20. any advise on the wait time for these positions?? just need to keep my time open. i figure by the time CBPO calls me i will be homeless, as me and my husband are struggling right now. I started couponing 1 month ago to help with bills!!! good luck to all!!
                    CBPO

GEO: Brownsville, TX
                    Test: 12/2010
                    NOR: 1/2011 (89%-no vet pref.)
                    TO: 6/7/2011
                    PreEmploy Forms: 6/12/2011 (complete)
                    Equip: 6/13/2011
                    FT1: 6/27/2011 (Passed))
                    VBT / SI: 7/11/11 (Passed)
                    BI: 9/13/11 (passed)
                    Medical: 7/15/2011 (cleared)
                    Poly: 8/9/2011(passed)
                    Drug Test: 9/8/2011(passed)
                    got the call: 9/20/2011
                    PFT2: 9/30/2011 (failed run by 40 seconds)
                    NEW PFT2: 05/08/2012
                    New EOD: 05/21/2012

ISO (Immigration Services Officer)

Test: 8/20/2011 (passed)

Comment

• Originally posted by GUILE View Post
                      Thanks Psygenix, yes, I agree I could get lucky and they may not even call me during the recovery phase but if they did do you think they would actually let me dealy the PFT-2? Or if I do have to have the surgery I could let them know ahead of time before I get scheduled for the PFT-2? I guess either way I'm kind of taking my chances in the hopes that they will work with me. I just know if it is a tear 7 plus months is a long time to wait especially when your having to use your shoulders a lot as you already mentioned.
                      It's probably best to tell them ahead of time, so that they can work with you in delaying your process until you've recovered. If anything, it'll at least alleviate some of the concerns and questions you may have regarding your surgery and what the hiring center wants you to proceed.

I really have no idea what the hiring center will do, but the new fiscal year is almost up, and based on prior years, it'll be awhile before any new classes will start- unless there is a new hiring push for CBP- which could happen. But with talks of another recession coming, and congress talks regarding budgets- it might take awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaniajam View Post
                        well be it that many people that tested in november and december are being called and i have not done my BI yet (so weird since i have done everything except drug test) i started applying for other possible positions. immigrations officer exam was last week, and my BPA exam is 9/20. any advise on the wait time for these positions?? just need to keep my time open. i figure by the time CBPO calls me i will be homeless, as me and my husband are struggling right now. I started couponing 1 month ago to help with bills!!! good luck to all!!
                        That's very unfortunate and I hope you get on very soon!

Maybe switching your geo pref. from SWB to SE is the reason for the delay?
                        Either way, good luck and hang in there!
                        CBPO
                        TO:04/01/11
                        EOD: 08/22/11
                        FLETC:09/07/11

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
                          They do not usually use funds to cross f-years. This is my biggest worry. Thats why I want to go before Oct 1 because they could just freeze classes
                          Oh well. There goes another FY. I'm willing to bet that there is a zero chance of a budget being passed when it is supposed too. CRs won't cover the cost of new hires.

Training is 19 weeks now. They will have to cover the cost of all the new hires into the next FY for those that start in october will be in training until January. So they have to take that into account and that does cross FYs
                          CBPO
                          TO - 05/08 JFK
                          EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Freefallin View Post
                            That's very unfortunate and I hope you get on very soon!

Maybe switching your geo pref. from SWB to SE is the reason for the delay?
                            Either way, good luck and hang in there!
                            i have a strong feeling that is why i am hanging in the wind. i tried emailing MHC to switch back because i realised that i really dont wanna be in georgia or one of those states but they never responded, so i am just stuck waiting. i am aware that you cannot change once you get your TO, but i was hoping it would not be so set in stone. thank you for the upliftment.
                            CBPO

GEO: Brownsville, TX
                            Test: 12/2010
                            NOR: 1/2011 (89%-no vet pref.)
                            TO: 6/7/2011
                            PreEmploy Forms: 6/12/2011 (complete)
                            Equip: 6/13/2011
                            FT1: 6/27/2011 (Passed))
                            VBT / SI: 7/11/11 (Passed)
                            BI: 9/13/11 (passed)
                            Medical: 7/15/2011 (cleared)
                            Poly: 8/9/2011(passed)
                            Drug Test: 9/8/2011(passed)
                            got the call: 9/20/2011
                            PFT2: 9/30/2011 (failed run by 40 seconds)
                            NEW PFT2: 05/08/2012
                            New EOD: 05/21/2012

ISO (Immigration Services Officer)

Test: 8/20/2011 (passed)

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                              I'm not sure how the budget works. They may have allocated funds to hire X number of CBPOs and continue to run classes without a break for the new FY. Or classes may stop short after oct 1st until the next budget passes.
                              Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                              Oh well. There goes another FY. I'm willing to bet that there is a zero chance of a budget being passed when it is supposed too. CRs won't cover the cost of new hires.

Training is 19 weeks now. They will have to cover the cost of all the new hires into the next FY for those that start in october will be in training until January. So they have to take that into account and that does cross FYs
                              If a class/project is already started, that would be fine. But to use funds from one FY to start another class, that won't happen. The class is booked and money is projected and set aside to cover everyone in that class for X amount of weeks. That money is locked away and is considered spent. So when this class goes across FY the money being used is actually from the previous FY. If the class starts Oct 2, they cant pull money from the previous year and apply it because come Oct 1, the account(for lack of better words) has a 0 balance(unless a budget is passed and implemented). Operational money is not included in all of this though(still need to operate day to day)

Lets hope there is money in the budget for new classes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ayitearyee View Post
                                If a class/project is already started, that would be fine. But to use funds from one FY to start another class, that won't happen. The class is booked and money is projected and set aside to cover everyone in that class for X amount of weeks. That money is locked away and is considered spent. So when this class goes across FY the money being used is actually from the previous FY. If the class starts Oct 2, they cant pull money from the previous year and apply it because come Oct 1, the account(for lack of better words) has a 0 balance(unless a budget is passed and implemented). Operational money is not included in all of this though(still need to operate day to day)

Lets hope there is money in the budget for new classes.
                                No one knows but I won't be surprised (I would be grateful) if money will be there for classes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13851 users online. 473 members and 13378 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X