Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gms632 View Post
    Have you heard anything about the need for officers at CBP ports in PA other than Philadelphia (Harrisburg, Erie, Pittsburgh)?
    No I haven't heard about need for those ports. Those are small ports, it is extremely unlikely than a new hire will go to one of those. Those are ports that people go to retire.
    Last edited by shawal16; 07-22-2008, 01:48 PM.

    Comment


    • GMS,

      Have you met with your Background Investigator yet or has your credit been pulled? I am still waiting and noticed are timelines are very similar.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
        GMS,

        Have you met with your Background Investigator yet or has your credit been pulled? I am still waiting and noticed are timelines are very similar.
        I sent you a PM

        Comment


        • [QUOTE=shawal16;1341588]Send an email to the hiring center: [email protected]

          What was your score?

          My advice would be to wait it out, the fact that you were bouncing around frequently probably prevented you from receiving a TO so far. That last round of TO's for NJ went all the way down to 80. I am not sure what the cutoff is for PA. Considering they are now a critical need they did not receive enough applicants.[/QUOTE

          My score is only a 79 no vet points. I have 27 MA credits and should finish by next spring so I qualified for GS7. I think your advice is sound. I'll just hang in there for Vermont the hot summers down here suck. The northern winters wil be a relief.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jumbojack View Post
            What is the dress code for the VBT? Would there be any officers doing a one-on-one interview as well? I am kind of confussed..

            This is still part of an interview process for the job, I'd say wear a suit (I did), and yes an officer will interview you prior to taking the VBT to take your info.
            Remember to use common sense when taking the VBT and you'll be fine, it'll feel extremely awkward though

            Good Luck
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

            Comment


            • Homer:

              Even though you got a passing score (79), if you asked for a geo change it'll be some time before they get to you. They go by scores, so everyone that had a higher score than you will be first on the list for TO's, plus the fact that you're going in as GS7 might work against you as well (from what I've read here on the forum).

              Good Luck to you...
              CBPO
              Written: 08/29/2007
              EOD: July 11, 2011

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ammo19 View Post
                Does anyone who is currently a CBP officer or know someone who is, know if CBP Officers are required to or recommended to have Nextel phones? If they are is it at our expense or does DHS pay for them? I know that allot of Law Enforcement agencies in my area require their officers to have them.
                No phone requirement. At least not for the masses.

                Comment


                • I completely agree with Yoda on the suit issue. I wore one to my VBT and the Officer processing me commented how pleased he was whenever he had an applicant show some professionalism in his appearance. He said I wouldn't believe what some showed up wearing (e.g., shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops). I guess that's part of the laid back San Diego lifestyle but it's completely inappropriate for a job interview.

                  Regarding the cell phones- at my port only GS-12s and above are provided company issued phones. All other officers are prhobited from carrying personal communication devices anywhere in the Federal Inspection Area.
                  ========================================


                  sigpic

                  I feel the need - the need for speed.

                  Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                    I completely agree with Yoda on the suit issue. I wore one to my VBT and the Officer processing me commented how pleased he was whenever he had an applicant show some professionalism in his appearance. He said I wouldn't believe what some showed up wearing (e.g., shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops). I guess that's part of the laid back San Diego lifestyle but it's completely inappropriate for a job interview.

                    Regarding the cell phones- at my port only GS-12s and above are provided company issued phones. All other officers are prhobited from carrying personal communication devices anywhere in the Federal Inspection Area.
                    I agree. Where I live... you do not go to a job interview unless you are in a suit. CBP sent me Dulles/D.C. Airport for my VBT. There were about 6 CBP officers standing around and they started talking to me. I got the impression that not too many people dress up for the VBT down there…the one officer said I should apply to the FBI dressed like that. Another ranking officer said that I am “guaranteed to pass” the VBT because I wore a suit and it is ridiculous what some applicants show up wearing-- "like they are going clubbin". I didn’t think that I did that well on the VBT— but just got notification that I successfully passed it.

                    Comment


                    • Homer,

                      Don't misunderstand me. I wouldn't recommend frequent changes of your preference, but if you do not want to move out of state you should stay local. Transfers are not easy. If your happy with Vermont stay with Vermont, but if you want PA or even NJ (i heard the funding is low) change now and stay until the next round of TO's come out. I wouldn't expect TO's to start coming out again until the July 08 testing has completed.

                      Comment


                      • If an applicant is willing to relocate to another area, does that give them a better shot at being hired?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                          Homer,

                          Don't misunderstand me. I wouldn't recommend frequent changes of your preference, but if you do not want to move out of state you should stay local. Transfers are not easy. If your happy with Vermont stay with Vermont, but if you want PA or even NJ (i heard the funding is low) change now and stay until the next round of TO's come out. I wouldn't expect TO's to start coming out again until the July 08 testing has completed.
                          Shawal16,

                          I am just anxious to get out of the TSA. Being a screener is not for me. The money is no good and there is no chance of promotion. The whole agency is a comedy routine. that is why I switched I was thinking that with a shortage in Vermont I could get on quicker. I did not know PA was short as well.
                          Thanks for the info.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                            Lucky You....
                            I was merely stating that the previous post was incorrect.

                            Who is hired as a GS7 depends on a few things. First, it depends on how many gs7 positions are available. Second, if the prospective employee selects I will only take a gs7 job. Third, your combination of college hours and experience. And finally, what mood the staff are in at HQ that day when your application was selected.
                            Last edited by ArmouredSainT; 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Interesting.. On CASS it shows I passed the Structured Interview, but I have not had an interview yet.. Is this referring to the VBT?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by FutureLE View Post
                                Interesting.. On CASS it shows I passed the Structured Interview, but I have not had an interview yet.. Is this referring to the VBT?
                                Yeah the CBPO structured interview is the VBT. Have you taken it before?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6547 users online. 333 members and 6214 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X