300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbp673 View Post
    Pre-Academy is mandatory. It is basically three weeks of paperwork before you get sent to FLETC. You will do VLCs (Virtual Learning Center Classes) on immigration and customs law, professionalism, and other basic topics that will help you be prepared for the academy. You will also get some clearances to operate CBP computer systems, email, etc.

If you are lucky, you will get to shadow officers as they work on the line. At land borders you will probably be restricted from observing primary because you don't have a gun or kevlar. In my pre-academy, I got to shadow a canine unit for a week. It was an awesome experience. I got paid to ride-along with a canine enforcement officer for 40 hours.

Also, if you aren't running and doing push-ups you should start now. The academy is not that militaristic but instructors still expect you to be physically fit.
    Thanks!!!

Being physically fit can be interpreted in many different ways. Can you give me an example of your interpretation. (Ex. 35 push ups, 20 sit ups etc...)
    Last edited by ayitearyee; 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM.
    Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
    New Geo: GA 6/13/11
    New NOR: 6/14/11
    TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
    QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
    BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
    Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
    VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
    MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
    DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
    Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
    Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
    Fit2: ?
    EOD: ?

Comment

• Does anyone know if CBP has a special unit or duty for Emergency Management, CBRN/NBC/WMD and Hazmat Response? I have alot of training in the field and would love to utilize it with CBP.
      Test: 12/10 (Geo: NJ)
      New Geo: GA 6/13/11
      New NOR: 6/14/11
      TO: 6//15/11..........Pending
      QUAL:6/28/11.........Pending
      BI: 6/29/11.............Pending (In Security Office)
      Fit1: 8/5/11............Completed
      VBT/SI: 8/11/11.....Completed
      MED: 9/12/11.........Completed
      DT: 9/28/11...........Completed
      Poly: 11/2/11..........Completed
      Poly-2nd: 11/23/11..Completed
      Fit2: ?
      EOD: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
        I simply gave him the information the lady from MHC told me to report in, I did not have contact with anyone from my POE until 3 days prior to reporting.
        Thats great and all but did you miss the part where he said the port called him back and told him what to wear? You may have been in the process for a long time. However, you are now a new officer. You will learn very quickly that each port is very different and can have different rules that are markedly different than what national policy is. You will find out very quickly that parts of the job are not what you expected and don't necessarily work as advertised. This is information from someone who is a supervisor and has been in the agency for just shy of fourteen years so take as you will.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
          Frisco do you get all those items in your room, the crack house?
          Mmm if these are the crack houses they're not too bad. But yes there is no fridge or any kitchen stuff, there is a small TV, wifi and shared bathrooms that are very easy to get locked out of or leave and accidentally lock out your neighbor.

And by the way this is a LE training center and for chow it's basically an all you can eat Buffett all day long... cheeseburgers, FF, soda all you can eat! And the gym facilities suck!

That's just a little backwards
          CBPO
          TO - 05/08 JFK
          EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Freefallin View Post
            Yup, thanks.
            They finally called me back from the port.
            Suit and tie for the first day then business casual after that.
            When were you given the number to call at your POE, since you just took your PFT-2 today?... Or did you call MHC?
            Just to clarify where you got your information from.
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
              Thats great and all but did you miss the part where he said the port called him back and told him what to wear? You may have been in the process for a long time. However, you are now a new officer. You will learn very quickly that each port is very different and can have different rules that are markedly different than what national policy is. You will find out very quickly that parts of the job are not what you expected and don't necessarily work as advertised. This is information from someone who is a supervisor and has been in the agency for just shy of fourteen years so take as you will.

FB
              I mean no disrespect with my comment, and certainly not doubting your input. I'm simply not quite sure how the OP got contact information on reporting since he just took his PFT-2 today, I did not get my info until 2 days later. Then again everything in this process is relative and most certainly not the same across the board, it is the "G" after all...
              CBPO

Comment

• For everyone that has been or is about to go to Pre-Academy at what point did you put in your notice to your job? After the PFT-2? Please correct me if I am wrong but technically isn't the PFT-2 suppose to be the last step of the process prior to our EOD? If so, just to be safe I'm thinking we should wait until we are sure we actually pass the PFT-2 before we give notice to current employers even if this might not be 2 full weeks, is this what most people do?
                Lastly, regarding hotel accommodations for Pre-Academy (for those of us not already residing at our POE) does anyone know if we will be able to qualify for federal discount at that time? Or would this only be the case if your POE lets you consider this travel time? Thanks in advance.
                CBPO
                Test: 12/6/10
                NOR: 1/25/11
                T.O. 5/25/11
                Geo: Laredo, TX

Comment

• Received another e-mail, after following up with the first one that said the 2nd BI forms were in the mail 2 weeks ago. This email told me to wait until they get around to it and that they have no idea when they will be able to send me the paperwork to get started, even though my BI expired in May. Awesome. I will keep seats warm in the abyss for anyone else who finds themselves here.
                  CBPO
                  GEO - NY/JFK
                  TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                  PE Forms - Completed
                  Fitness - Completed
                  VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                  Drug Screen - Completed
                  Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                  B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                  Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                  TSU

EOD: ???
                  FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                    And by the way this is a LE training center and for chow it's basically an all you can eat Buffett all day long... cheeseburgers, FF, soda all you can eat! And the gym facilities suck!

That's just a little backwards
                    The gym facilities suck are you serious? I would have thought they would be awesome being an LE training center! What do the dumbbells go up to? We have em up to the 150s at Bally's but I know a lot of gyms only go up to 100s. Do they let you wear headphones and your own workout clothes or does everyone have the same workout attire?
                    CBPO
                    Test: 12/6/10
                    NOR: 1/25/11
                    T.O. 5/25/11
                    Geo: Laredo, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by GUILE View Post
                      The gym facilities suck are you serious? I would have thought they would be awesome being an LE training center! What do the dumbbells go up to? We have em up to the 150s at Bally's but I know a lot of gyms only go up to 100s. Do they let you wear headphones and your own workout clothes or does everyone have the same workout attire?
                      The fitness center is very well equipped and the facilities are top notch... I would say better than most gyms you pay memberships at. Not sure why he made such a statement. You wear the FLETC gym uniform, not allowed to workout in your personal clothing.
                      Last edited by yoda; 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM.
                      CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                        The fitness center is very well equipped and the facilities are top notch... I would say better than most gyms you pay memberships at. Not sure why he made such a statement. You wear the FLETC gym uniform, not allowed to workout in your personal clothing.
                        I would hardly say that the facilities are top notch, especially the weight lifting facilities. They were certainly lacking. I was in Glynco back in January 2010, so things might have changed, but the weight lifting facilities were in several double wide trailers. There wasn't much equipment, and it was tight in there with so many students.

Down here in Artesia, the weight lifting facilities are far superior, oddly enough considering fletc Artesia is smaller than fletc Glynco.
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by gcangelstar View Post
                          Hey I send you a message in your inbox answering your questions.
                          Hi Gcangelstar...I have the same issue as applicant danielreynoso08. Can you inbox me as well? Please... Thank You

Comment

• Hi everyone! Congrats to those who've finally EOD'd! I've been reading this forum for over 2 years now and finally decided to join in. As you can tell from my timeline, I've been at it for quit some time also. While I've watched the hiring process go through many changes, I am fortunate in past experiences in knowing it's all part of how the "G" does business! It's been said many times on here before, but bears repeating; apply, go through the hiring steps, but continue on with your life. If it's going to happen, it'll happen! And an additional piece of advice in working with ANY form of government, it doesn't actually happen until at least a day AFTER you've done already done it! A good example of what I mean by that is the unfortunate few on here who had receive EOD dates, but then have had them delayed (or worse, cancelled). Unfortunately that's standard fair in the "G". It's tough, but if you have a big problem with it you may want to seek employment elsewhere. I don't say that to be harsh or cruel, it's just a fact of life.

With the push on for the SE, hopefully I'll get to see many folks from here at FLETC. I'd be happy to hoist one at the G-bar with you!

p.s. For all the current officers taking their time to post their experience and wisdom here, thanks for your time and insight!

CBPO
                            App - 07/2008
                            Written - 08/2008
                            NOR - 08/2008
                            T.O. - 11/2008 (Charleston, SC)
                            Med/PFT1 - 03/2009
                            VBT - 03/2009
                            T.O. Retracted - 04/2009 (what a mess!)
                            T.O Reinstated - 07/2009
                            B.I. - 09/2009
                            Drug Screen - 09/2009
                            EOD- Still Waiting!
                            Last edited by 66Pony; 08-18-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                              Down here in Artesia, the weight lifting facilities are far superior, oddly enough considering fletc Artesia is smaller than fletc Glynco.
                              Artesia, with few exceptions, is largely populated and influenced by the BP. The BP have a history of taking care of their own. With that and the fact that BP is the 'golden child' of CBP, I'm not surprised that their facilities are superior. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Glynco is far less influenced by CBP and is shared by far more federal agencies. The 'lowest bid' is much more of a factor there.

Comment

• Just checked CASS:

Pre-Employment Forms - Pending
                                Qualifications - Pending
                                Medical - Completed
                                Structured Interview - Completed
                                Drug Screening - Pending
                                Background Investigation - Pending (In security office)
                                Fitness - Pending (scheduled)

For the fitness, will this be fully checked off once you complete PFT2?

Looks like they checked off medical faster (they said 4 weeks) than I thought.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7924 users online. 291 members and 7633 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X