300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FutureLE View Post
    Does the BI personally meet your references too? Or is it just a phone or mail interview?
    It's face to face.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Finally some progress!! Customs just pulled my credit report this morning. Is this the first step in the BI process? I ask because my BI was marked "in the security office" the beginning of June and I have yet to hear from a BI.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• What kc12 said...

...However, I believe you can have a mustach not to exceed below the upper lip and sideburns not to extend below your earlobe.

I believe you have to have something from your doctor submitted to your Area Port Director for review/approval.

NTEU (Union) says this military type grooming standard will be removed.

Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
        Does any one know if cbpos have grooming standards and rules concerning beards, gotees, and mustaches etc? Many local pds make their employees shave clean daily. Is it similar at Cbp?

Comment

• For some reason I don't equate a mustache with facial hair. I don't know why. Anyway yes you can have a mustache
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Hello all,

I am on the road to (hopefully!) becoming a CBPO, and had a few questions.

1) BI - Just how in depth is this? The reason I ask is, as I've gotten a bit older (35), I've lost touch with many of the friends I used to have; which admittedly wasn't that many. It's not that I'm a loaner, I just have generally kept a smaller circle of friends than most. Most of my friends are through work, futher to that, quite a few are LEOs in some fashion or another.

2) Previous work experience - I've been employed in the maritime industry for coming on 10 years now. One of my job requirements is to be very familiar with trade, immigration, and agriculture laws as they pertain to the maritime/international trade industry. I work daily with CBPOs, as well as USCG. Does this tip the scales in my favor at all in terms of pay scale and potential for hire?

3) Credit score - It's good, but not great. It's in the 650ish range. No bankruptcy, no foreclosure, no reposession, all bills are current, and have been for the last 3-4 years. There is some 30/60 from years ago, but nothing up for collection. Mostly, my relatively low score is a result of being a single income family since my wife is a stay at home with our 21 month old son (can't wait for her to go back to work, however). This makes my debt to income ratio a bit high, but payments are made, and made on time - and I have a clear record of this. Will this be a problem?

4) References - I've got few 'aces in the pocket' as far as references are concerned. Several retired CBPO's (including one port director), as well as a close friend in DC (though I'm not at liberty to disclose exactly what he does). While I know many look down on what could be construed as nepotism, I view as it as no different than networking - something we all do. Just how beneficial will these references be?

5) Regarding payscale - I've got a couple years of college under my belt, and 10 years of relevant work experience. Any idea where this will put me, as far as GS5, 7 or 9?

6) Exam prep - I took the little exam offered after submitting the application. The math and verbal I aced, but ran into difficulty with the logic part. My problem is that I can't ignore possibilities and potential options, whereas it tells you to only take the paragraph in question into consideration - and NOTHING else. It's a hard thing to turn off, so to speak - I'm always looking 3 steps ahead, what could possibly go wrong, etc. I was thinking that study guides for the SAT, GRE, or something similar would be of benefit. Could anyone recommend any prep study material?

7) Disclosure - Took a few drugs in college, experimentally. Never more than a couple times. Two misdemeanors on record (one is covered under youthful offender), both occured when I was about 19 or so. Arrested for a DUI when I was 21, but it was thrown out/settled for running through a stopsign. Should I disclose information that is 10-16 years old?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
            CBPO
            TESTED: 07/25/08
            NOR: 08/04/08
            TO:
            PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS -
            MEDICAL -
            FITNESS -
            VBT -
            QUALS -
            DRUG TEST -
            BI -

Comment

• WFM1125:

If you don't have a degree with 3.0 GPA, you won't qualify for GS7, no matter on how many years of experience on whatever work you have. You are applying for an Entry level position (GS5, GS7), unless you are a current government employee, then you would be able to apply pay grade transfers as in steps and such.

As to the BI, you need to disclose EVERYTHING ! The only thing I have on record are speeding tickets, and when I met with the investigators he had copies of all of them... Your past Drug use needs to be disclosed, especially if you used more than once and if you used harder drugs than weed. I'm not sure as to how strict the guidelines are for the past use of those drugs, but I do recall that for the FBI you are not qualified if you ever used anything more than weed (cocaine, meth, x, heroin). The drug question regarding use covers your lifetime rather than the last ten years.

Be very frank and up front with your answers and you'll be fine...

You mentioned that you submitted your application, hence you should know what you qualify as, since it tells you right then and there. As to how to prepare for the test, if you're good in math then the rest is easy....
              Last edited by yoda; 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM.
              CBPO
              Written: 08/29/2007
              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by WFM1125 View Post
                Hello all,

I am on the road to (hopefully!) becoming a CBPO, and had a few questions.

1) BI - Just how in depth is this? The reason I ask is, as I've gotten a bit older (35), I've lost touch with many of the friends I used to have; which admittedly wasn't that many. It's not that I'm a loaner, I just have generally kept a smaller circle of friends than most. Most of my friends are through work, futher to that, quite a few are LEOs in some fashion or another.

2) Previous work experience - I've been employed in the maritime industry for coming on 10 years now. One of my job requirements is to be very familiar with trade, immigration, and agriculture laws as they pertain to the maritime/international trade industry. I work daily with CBPOs, as well as USCG. Does this tip the scales in my favor at all in terms of pay scale and potential for hire?

3) Credit score - It's good, but not great. It's in the 650ish range. No bankruptcy, no foreclosure, no reposession, all bills are current, and have been for the last 3-4 years. There is some 30/60 from years ago, but nothing up for collection. Mostly, my relatively low score is a result of being a single income family since my wife is a stay at home with our 21 month old son (can't wait for her to go back to work, however). This makes my debt to income ratio a bit high, but payments are made, and made on time - and I have a clear record of this. Will this be a problem?

4) References - I've got few 'aces in the pocket' as far as references are concerned. Several retired CBPO's (including one port director), as well as a close friend in DC (though I'm not at liberty to disclose exactly what he does). While I know many look down on what could be construed as nepotism, I view as it as no different than networking - something we all do. Just how beneficial will these references be?

5) Regarding payscale - I've got a couple years of college under my belt, and 10 years of relevant work experience. Any idea where this will put me, as far as GS5, 7 or 9?

6) Exam prep - I took the little exam offered after submitting the application. The math and verbal I aced, but ran into difficulty with the logic part. My problem is that I can't ignore possibilities and potential options, whereas it tells you to only take the paragraph in question into consideration - and NOTHING else. It's a hard thing to turn off, so to speak - I'm always looking 3 steps ahead, what could possibly go wrong, etc. I was thinking that study guides for the SAT, GRE, or something similar would be of benefit. Could anyone recommend any prep study material?

7) Disclosure - Took a few drugs in college, experimentally. Never more than a couple times. Two misdemeanors on record (one is covered under youthful offender), both occured when I was about 19 or so. Arrested for a DUI when I was 21, but it was thrown out/settled for running through a stopsign. Should I disclose information that is 10-16 years old?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
                All good questions for someone looking to start the process...

1. The SF86 is very detailed and dependant on the questions asked the answer needs to refer back each seven or 10 years, it will specify. During the interview with the BI, similar questions are asked but include a time frame of your whole life back to day one.

2. Nothing tips the pay scale for entry. You either go in as a GS5 or, with a degree GED above a 3.5 I think or prior federal service, a GS7.

3. They look at late payment history and defaults. Student financial federal loans and IRS issues are looked at very closely. Credit reports also include history for child support payments from some states.

4. The SF86 requires contact information for all former employers, individuals that can verify each of your residences, and three personal references. None should be used twice. From each do these the BI must developed two more, then two more until he has exhausted contacts.

5. Refer to #2

6. The prep book that comes with your test date is sufficient. It covers everything.

7. Be honest, they will find out. You are given the opportunity to explain and it helps if you have documentation to back up anything you say. The BI is either OPM or CBP. They simply collect information objectively and reports are sent to the adjudicator with OPM.

Good luck!

Comment

• Opps...

... forgot to include eyebrows, eyelashes, and to get a little sick...nose and ear hair.
                  Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                  For some reason I don't equate a mustache with facial hair. I don't know why. Anyway yes you can have a mustache

Comment

• WFM - I will try to answer with what I know from reading the forums.

1 - The background is pretty in depth, but you probably have more references than you realize. Neighbors, colleagues, people at church, etc...

2 - You can use your previous work experience dealing with immigration law to qualify for GS7. It all depends on how you writeup your duties and qualifications on the qualification sheet. GS7 is the highest grade level for entry level CBPO.

3 - They don't care about score. They care about late payments, bankruptcies, and foreclosures. They want to see that you debt is manageable and that you can handle it.

4 - As an entry level coming in, there isn't much anyone can do for you. You will have to pass the test, and the steps just like anyone else. Nepotism comes into play when its time for a competitive promotion.

5 - BA/BS will only qualify for GS5

6 - I had more trouble with the math than the logical reasoning. The logical reasoning may have been a bit easier because I studied for the LSATs. They are the same type of questions but harder. If you can conquer the LSAT questions you will do fine for the entry test.

7 - Disclose everything, and time will mitigate your prior youthful misdeeds.

Comment

• Finally!!! My background investigator called me to set up an appointment to meet me next week!

For those of you at FLETC or that are already CBP officers, how long after you met with your background investigator did it take for you to get hired? I applied for Arizona and I know they are very short-handed. I hope this helps speed up the process. I also have a very clean record (criminal and financial).

Comment

• I'm prety sure we aren't but I thought I would ask anyway. Are CBPOs covered under HR-218?

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                          WFM1125:

If you don't have a degree with 3.0 GPA, you won't qualify for GS7, no matter on how many years of experience on whatever work you have. You are applying for an Entry level position (GS5, GS7), unless you are a current government employee, then you would be able to apply pay grade transfers as in steps and such.
                          I do not have a college degree and I was hired as a GS7.

Comment

• Background Investigation Phone Call!!

Hello ALL!
                            I finished all requirements met with BI and now in "security office". Today I got a call from Customs Investigations and they asked me that there might be a problem with background because of credit "charge off". This happened about a year ago and now paid it off in full. They told me it might be an issue and it was up to me to continue or withdrawal application and re-apply in a year or so. I think it was an Investigating agency that called me because they were still going to send background report to headquarters. I do not know what I should do?? Has this been a problem for some applicants here? THANKS

Comment

• So the facial hair seems not to be a problem, but what about tattoos? What is the ruling on those?
                              Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                              Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                              Graduated Dec 18, 2008

Its game on from here....

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
                                I'm prety sure we aren't but I thought I would ask anyway. Are CBPOs covered under HR-218?

I'm absolutely sure you're wrong. We are covered by HR-218.
                                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7598 users online. 388 members and 7210 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X