300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaxamillian View Post
    Hey everyone. Although I have posted before, I will use this post as kind of an introduction. Ultimately, I hope for some tips on how to best prepare myself to become the best candidate for the position that I can. I know there are very experienced members on here and am hoping for some of their advice.

I am a 27 year old college graduate (B.A. Psychology, 2.9 GPA (ugh)). After graduation in 2007, I've tried a few different entry level positions in education and healthcare, but none that really stuck with me as something that I could make a career of. I am currently unemployed and looking for work. My sister in law told me about the CBP test, which I took and scored pretty well on. I got a TO for the SW Cali this past June, and am scheduled for PFT1 next week.

In 2007, I received a DUI that was moved down to a Negligent Driving I. I also have a speeding ticket. I do not have a problem with alcohol and the DUI was an isolated incident. I smoked MJ 4(?) times, the last time being July 2007. I am a little bit worried about downloading music/movies, but I'm not sure how overly paranoid I'm being about that. I don't do it an excessive amount.

Now, getting offered a TO for the CBPO position has sparked me down a path I didn't really foresee for myself, and I see it as a great opportunity. I want to do what I can from now until the hiring decision to make myself the best possible candidate for the position. I exercise a lot, but I am wondering what else I can do. Now for the good part...

-Are there any books I can read?

-What would be a good place to volunteer to get relevant experience to the CBPO position? I'm guessing studying spanish might be helpful, although there is a class if I do get the position.

-Also, given my non Law Enforcement background and transgressions, do you think I am likely to be hired, given that the rest of my process goes smoothly? What can I do to improve my chances?

Thank you for reading to this point, and thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Have a good one.
    You are probably going to have some issues when your background investigation comes up. I don't think enough time has past since you last used drugs. You also should stop illegal downloads, with all the resources out there now do you even need to do that anymore?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
      With the dozen of TDY officers who have had arrived in the past couple of weeks, word around FLETC is that there is going to be a new class starting every week for the next month or so. I am not sure how much truth there is in it, but just to give this rumor some legs: a class started in the last week of June, another this past Friday, July 8, and another will arrive this Thursday, July 14 - extending all the way to August 2 as confirmed by Yoda and frisco. Judging by the size of these classes and speaking to a few of them, I would estimate the newer class sizes are relatively small, averaging about 20 or so trainees from all over the country (though a majority of them are for the southwest border). Just giving a heads up to those waiting in the wings who are looking for this type of information.
      Yes this is helpful and this is the stuff I like to hear! Been waiting so long hope it comes this year.

Written: 7/2008
      TO: 8/2008
      TSU: 1/2009
      EOD?

Comment

• Hey everyone I know everyone is saying the process takes 2-3 years to clear, but from what I am seeing there is a lot of people that have been going through this process pretty fast. Sorry, maybe I am just keeping my hopes up that we will get picked up this year. I noticed that a few weeks ago there were new job openings for cbp, do you think this means that cbp still needs more people this year?
        CBPO
        Test: 12/9/10
        NOR: 1/07/11
        T.O. 4/1/11
        Med/fitness- 5/13/11
        (Qualifications and premployment forms cleared 6/20/11)
        VBT- scheduled form 7/26/11
        Background Investigator Meeting-?
        Drug Test-?
        Geo: Southwest border
        CBPO
        Test- 12/9/10
        NOR- 1/07/11
        T.O.- 4/1/11
        Med/fitness- cleared 5/13/11
        Qualifications & premployment- cleared 6/20/11
        Drug Test-cleared 8/11/11
        Vbt/si- cleared 8/19/11
        Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 9-8-11)
        Pft2- ?
        Eod- ?

Comment

• hey guys,
          i have got a quick question to ask. i have never done any crime, never got arrested, clean record besides one traffic ticket around summer of 2010 . Problem is i was fired from a job on Aug 2010 where i had more than 5 months experience on for being 10 dollars short in my till (Retail job). I wanted to know will this cause a problem for me in getting a job because i did put this job in my resume because i had about 8 months experience in this job . My recent job in the USPS as a temporary mail clerk, it was no problem getting the job when they checked my BI with the FBI clearance . any luck for me still? or is it pointless taking the exam and doing well.
          BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by gcangelstar View Post
            Hey everyone I know everyone is saying the process takes 2-3 years to clear, but from what I am seeing there is a lot of people that have been going through this process pretty fast. Sorry, maybe I am just keeping my hopes up that we will get picked up this year. I noticed that a few weeks ago there were new job openings for cbp, do you think this means that cbp still needs more people this year?
            CBPO
            Test: 12/9/10
            NOR: 1/07/11
            T.O. 4/1/11
            Med/fitness- 5/13/11
            (Qualifications and premployment forms cleared 6/20/11)
            VBT- scheduled form 7/26/11
            Background Investigator Meeting-?
            Drug Test-?
            Geo: Southwest border
            Hurry up to wait....its the Government

Comment

• Lady from hr said there will be two more officers for San Francisco in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGunn View Post
                Hurry up to wait....its the Government
                lol yea i know
                CBPO
                Test- 12/9/10
                NOR- 1/07/11
                T.O.- 4/1/11
                Med/fitness- cleared 5/13/11
                Qualifications & premployment- cleared 6/20/11
                Drug Test-cleared 8/11/11
                Vbt/si- cleared 8/19/11
                Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 9-8-11)
                Pft2- ?
                Eod- ?

Comment

• Originally posted by dghai62 View Post
                  hey guys,
                  i have got a quick question to ask. i have never done any crime, never got arrested, clean record besides one traffic ticket around summer of 2010 . Problem is i was fired from a job on Aug 2010 where i had more than 5 months experience on for being 10 dollars short in my till (Retail job). I wanted to know will this cause a problem for me in getting a job because i did put this job in my resume because i had about 8 months experience in this job . My recent job in the USPS as a temporary mail clerk, it was no problem getting the job when they checked my BI with the FBI clearance . any luck for me still? or is it pointless taking the exam and doing well.
                  I wouldn't call it 'pointless'. Go through the process and see what comes of it. As I see it, you have a 'speed bump' in the road to becoming a CBP Officer. You'll likely draw some scrutiny from the firing, and you'll probably have some 'splaining' to do...but I'll say you've got a better than 50/50 chance of eventually overcoming that...assuming it's all that you've said it is.

Comment

• thank you merlin,

that helps a lot. i do remember explaining why did i get fired to the USPS when i applied for the temporary position, and i did happen to get the job, but they were just surprised, but its true because my unemployment cleared after i gave them my written statement on why i was fired and once the dept of labor's investigation was done. i just don't want to put in all the work then all of a sudden crash, because i am working far too hard for any of this.
                    BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Thank you topgunn, I have some waiting to do then lol I will call med services today and ask about the drug screen results I know I passed as I don't use drugs. To the guys that recived calls please keep us updated on your Academy process! It would be great to have an idea of what the new classes/procedures are.

Comment

• Hi, I have a question I was in FLETC for cbp but didnt pass the firearms test (yeahh i know very embarassing) but i re-apply and I pass the written test with a 94. It has been more than five months since i got my score and I have not receive anything anymore. I was told I was currently pending vetting. Do you guys know how long does that take or should I call the hiring center. I am about to get my bachelors degree need 8 more classes but I still want to know if I will finish school before getting called again. Thank you in advance

Comment

• I just passed my polygraph exam last week and I'm wondering if that's the last step in my 3 year process?

Comment

• Georgia Region / CBPO

1/25/2011
                            passing NOR recieved
                            6/13/2011
                            Office of Internal Affairs (IA)/ Background and SF86 (EQIP) Submitted (recieved and uplaoded 6/20/2011)
                            6/28/2011
                            Pre-Employment Fitness Test
                            6/28/2011
                            Medical Exam

Comment

• Originally posted by itstime11121314 View Post
                              Hi, I have a question I was in FLETC for cbp but didnt pass the firearms test (yeahh i know very embarassing) but i re-apply and I pass the written test with a 94. It has been more than five months since i got my score and I have not receive anything anymore. I was told I was currently pending vetting. Do you guys know how long does that take or should I call the hiring center. I am about to get my bachelors degree need 8 more classes but I still want to know if I will finish school before getting called again. Thank you in advance
                              I would send them an email about the result of your test. I think this is the email address: [email protected].

I got my result by checking applicationmanager.gov when I applied. I am not sure if you did the same thing. What geo location did you applied for?

Ouch! Sorry that you didn't pass the firearms course when you were at FLETC. Now you make me nervous about the academy. Did you have any experience with firearms prior to attending FLETC? What was the hardest thing about it? Did they give you chances to practice before the test? Good luck with the process!
                              Last edited by Khue; 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM.
                              TO: 4/09/09
                              Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                              TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• For most of you guys who are in this process for 2-3 years, what are you guys doing in the meantime? What kind of job are you guys doing?

Right now I am assuming everyone is either a police officer or sheriff.

Anyways, I have my written test on the 25th. Wish me luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6975 users online. 391 members and 6584 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X