300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    I know of several people within CBP and elsewhere who've created significant issues with their eyes by rushing into LASIK/PRK/whatever.

IMO, eye surgery is something not to be trifled with. Pick out the best and most reputable person you can find to do the procedure. Don't rush it and grab the first bozo you can find who's willing to do it on short notice. The job will wait...and your eyes will likely thank you in the end.
    Merlin, I couldn't agree with you more!
    I had my surgery already scheduled for July 20th with a very highly recommended doctor that's been doing eye surgeries for 25 years and has over 30,000 procedures done. This is one of the best LASIK eye surgeons around.

My backup plan for next week was Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the #1 Eye hospital in the country. It's a little more expensive but they have more appointments available.

I definitely would not "blindly" rush into something like surgery, much less eye surgery... that wouldn't be smart.

I'll proceed with my schedule LASIK day on the 20th and hope that they let me re-test the vision part of the Medical in a few months.

Thanks for your input!
    CBPO
    Application: 11/2010
    Test: 12/7/2010
    NOR: 2/1/2011 (100, no vet preference)
    TO: 6/14/2011
    Medical & Fitness: 7/19/2011 - Passed everything except uncorrected vision, Had LASIK to correct it, now waiting the CBP-required 90 day period to submit paperwork by eye doctor.
    VBT & SI: 8/24/2011 - PASSED
    BI: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingny View Post
      What is an average time for the 220yard dash? I tried it for the first time last night and averaged 39sec sprinting half the track. I am not sure if I am going the correct distance around the track or is it just that simple?
      I did it in 34 secs

Comment

• Originally posted by NIKKIinBUFFALO View Post
        Just for curiosity... from those that have taken the pft2 when they test you for the 1.5 mile and the sprint are you by yourself or are there other testers on the track with you? And I will assume middle lane of the track? I know it doesn't matter as long as I train well and prepare myself which I have been just my curiosity has peeked so I thought I might ask. Thanks.
        There were only two of us.

Comment

• Hey everyone. Although I have posted before, I will use this post as kind of an introduction. Ultimately, I hope for some tips on how to best prepare myself to become the best candidate for the position that I can. I know there are very experienced members on here and am hoping for some of their advice.

I am a 27 year old college graduate (B.A. Psychology, 2.9 GPA (ugh)). After graduation in 2007, I've tried a few different entry level positions in education and healthcare, but none that really stuck with me as something that I could make a career of. I am currently unemployed and looking for work. My sister in law told me about the CBP test, which I took and scored pretty well on. I got a TO for the SW Cali this past June, and am scheduled for PFT1 next week.

In 2007, I received a DUI that was moved down to a Negligent Driving I. I also have a speeding ticket. I do not have a problem with alcohol and the DUI was an isolated incident. I smoked MJ 4(?) times, the last time being July 2007. I am a little bit worried about downloading music/movies, but I'm not sure how overly paranoid I'm being about that. I don't do it an excessive amount.

Now, getting offered a TO for the CBPO position has sparked me down a path I didn't really foresee for myself, and I see it as a great opportunity. I want to do what I can from now until the hiring decision to make myself the best possible candidate for the position. I exercise a lot, but I am wondering what else I can do. Now for the good part...

-Are there any books I can read?

-What would be a good place to volunteer to get relevant experience to the CBPO position? I'm guessing studying spanish might be helpful, although there is a class if I do get the position.

-Also, given my non Law Enforcement background and transgressions, do you think I am likely to be hired, given that the rest of my process goes smoothly? What can I do to improve my chances?

Thank you for reading to this point, and thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Have a good one.

Comment

• Hey guys, I had an unfortunate incident where I got hired as a Border Patrol Agent I went to the academy back in March and in April I injured my knee to the point that it was impossible to continue doing PT and ended up resigning. I am now healed and applied to the CBPO officer position. Do you guys think this will be frowned on? Is there a chance I could ever get re-hired?

Comment

• Made it to Orlando yesterday evening... Long trip!
              Tomorrow is day 1...
              CBPO
              Written: 08/29/2007
              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• With the dozen of TDY officers who have had arrived in the past couple of weeks, word around FLETC is that there is going to be a new class starting every week for the next month or so. I am not sure how much truth there is in it, but just to give this rumor some legs: a class started in the last week of June, another this past Friday, July 8, and another will arrive this Thursday, July 14 - extending all the way to August 2 as confirmed by Yoda and frisco. Judging by the size of these classes and speaking to a few of them, I would estimate the newer class sizes are relatively small, averaging about 20 or so trainees from all over the country (though a majority of them are for the southwest border). Just giving a heads up to those waiting in the wings who are looking for this type of information.

Comment

• Originally posted by BKsfinest10 View Post
                  I was considering this as well Guile. I think I am going to put these flight benefits to work that I have and shoot out to the SWB next week to see how it is, how people are living out there, and if I could see myself there. What city do you guys think I should hit first?
                  You should come visit el paso. I live here and I can show you around
                  CBPO
                  Test- 12/9/10
                  NOR- 1/07/11
                  T.O.- 4/1/11
                  Med/fitness- cleared 5/13/11
                  Qualifications & premployment- cleared 6/20/11
                  Drug Test-cleared 8/11/11
                  Vbt/si- cleared 8/19/11
                  Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 9-8-11)
                  Pft2- ?
                  Eod- ?

Comment

• Originally posted by BPhopeful View Post
                    Hey guys, I had an unfortunate incident where I got hired as a Border Patrol Agent I went to the academy back in March and in April I injured my knee to the point that it was impossible to continue doing PT and ended up resigning. I am now healed and applied to the CBPO officer position. Do you guys think this will be frowned on? Is there a chance I could ever get re-hired?
                    Maybe...probably.

It all depends on the extended circumstances surrounding your injury/resignation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                      With the dozen of TDY officers who have had arrived in the past couple of weeks, word around FLETC is that there is going to be a new class starting every week for the next month or so. I am not sure how much truth there is in it, but just to give this rumor some legs: a class started in the last week of June, another this past Friday, July 8, and another will arrive this Thursday, July 14 - extending all the way to August 2 as confirmed by Yoda and frisco. Judging by the size of these classes and speaking to a few of them, I would estimate the newer class sizes are relatively small, averaging about 20 or so trainees from all over the country (though a majority of them are for the southwest border). Just giving a heads up to those waiting in the wings who are looking for this type of information.

Good to know thank you. Hows it going down there?
                      CBPO
                      Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
                      TO: 2/2011
                      Medical: 3/22/2011
                      PT Test: 3/22/2011
                      VBT: 3/2011
                      Background: 3/2011
                      Drug Test: 4/2011
                      Referred to TSU: 5/2011
                      PT Test 2: TBD
                      FLETC: Good Question lol
                      CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                      Info Session 9/2009
                      Interview 3/2010
                      COE 5/2010
                      Medical 5/2010
                      Fit/Background 7/2010
                      All clear as of 11/2010
                      FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

• Anybody in the house check out "Texas Drug Wars" on the discovery channel. A real eye opener about how hard these cartel's are going on the border.
                        CBP: CBPO
                        EOD: 10/11/11 (South Texas)

Comment

• Originally posted by BPhopeful View Post
                          Hey guys, I had an unfortunate incident where I got hired as a Border Patrol Agent I went to the academy back in March and in April I injured my knee to the point that it was impossible to continue doing PT and ended up resigning. I am now healed and applied to the CBPO officer position. Do you guys think this will be frowned on? Is there a chance I could ever get re-hired?
                          It should be fine as long you can complete pt.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                            Made it to Orlando yesterday evening... Long trip!
                            Tomorrow is day 1...
                            Congrats.

Comment

• Congrats to all the guys/gals who received the "call" I just joined the forum. I tested back in September 2010 in ont CA, I don't see many applicants from my area for some reason. As of now everything is checked green except background is pending "my BI visited me about a month ago". My medical just cleared 2 weeks ago but my drug screen is still pending is that normal? I would think it should have cleared along with medical right? My BI asked if I was stuck on staying in CA, I replied no I'm open to any SW location would that help my process speed up? All I have to do now is wait for my BI to clear correct? I am in good shape and work out every day am I missing anything? Thanks for any help/advise guys and good luck to all of us!

Comment

• It might be 2-3 years before you get the final call. Drug test normally clear within couple weeks. Call them

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14428 users online. 455 members and 13973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X