300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while (great information on here) but this is my first time posting. First off, congratulations to those that have recently gotten "the call".

Here's my situation:
    Applied: 11/10
    Tested: 12/7/10
    NOR: 2/1/11
    TO: 6/14/11 (Miami, FL)
    Medical/Fitness: Called me today and scheduled for the last possible day: 7/19/11

Here's the problem: My uncorrected vision is worse than 20/100, and I have my LASIK eye surgery scheduled for 7/20/11 (earliest possible day with this clinic)

Will I be able to re-take the Medical in order to re-test my vision after I have LASIK? Will this delay my application process or can it be done while the BI is being done, without causing a delay? Should I try to find another clinic and get it done a.s.a.p. next week???

Please let me know what you think, I don't want to miss this opportunity. Thanks in Advance
    CBPO
    Application: 11/2010
    Test: 12/7/2010
    NOR: 2/1/2011 (100, no vet preference)
    TO: 6/14/2011
    Medical & Fitness: 7/19/2011 - Passed everything except uncorrected vision, Had LASIK to correct it, now waiting the CBP-required 90 day period to submit paperwork by eye doctor.
    VBT & SI: 8/24/2011 - PASSED
    BI: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gator87 View Post
      Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while (great information on here) but this is my first time posting. First off, congratulations to those that have recently gotten "the call".

Here's my situation:
      Medical/Fitness: Called me today and scheduled for the last possible day: 7/19/11

Here's the problem: My uncorrected vision is worse than 20/100, and I have my LASIK eye surgery scheduled for 7/20/11 (earliest possible day with this clinic)

Will I be able to re-take the Medical in order to re-test my vision after I have LASIK? Will this delay my application process or can it be done while the BI is being done, without causing a delay? Should I try to find another clinic and get it done a.s.a.p. next week???

Please let me know what you think, I don't want to miss this opportunity. Thanks in Advance
      I think they check back with you in 6 months, but don't hold me to that.

What was your score by the way?

Comment

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation:

You'll have to wait at least three months after lasik to get medically cleared.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUILE View Post
          Ok and while I'm in the question asking frame of mind lol, its says to wear Business Casual for the VBT. I had been planning on wearing a suit to the inverview. Would this be too much of an overkill? What did you all wear that have taken the VBT?
          Wear a suit. I've seen some guys come in to take it wearing t-shirts or just plain looking sloppy and it has an effect on my decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
            You'll have to wait at least three months after lasik to get medically cleared.
            If that's the case, then I guess it doesn't matter if I have the LASIK done a week before or a day after my initial medical exam... If I can re-test the vision part in 3 months to get medically cleared, that should be during my BI, and shouldn't delay my process. Is that a correct assumption?
            CBPO
            Medical & Fitness: 7/19/2011 - Passed everything except uncorrected vision, Had LASIK to correct it, now waiting the CBP-required 90 day period to submit paperwork by eye doctor.

Comment

• I hope it's not a big deal and I can retest the vision part in a few months while my BI is in progress...

I tested on Dec 2010 in Miami,FL and got a 100.

Good luck to everybody, and be patient!
              CBPO

Comment

• You should be alright. Getting lasik was one of the best decisions I've made. I went from 20/400 vision to 20/15 almost immediately after the surgery.

Comment

You should be alright. Getting lasik was one of the best decisions I've made. I went from 20/400 vision to 20/15 almost immediately after the surgery.
                  I'll second that. I went from 20/2600 to 20/20.
                  CBPO TSL 5/25/11 | MED 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | PFT1 7/18/11 | VBT 7/20/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11

BPA TSL 5/24/11 | MED/PFT1 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | OB 7/22/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11 | TSU 8/22/11 | EOD 9/12/11

Comment

You should be alright. Getting lasik was one of the best decisions I've made. I went from 20/400 vision to 20/15 almost immediately after the surgery.
                    I appreciate the encouragement! I've met a lot of people who've had LASIK and all had great results, I can't wait to get mine done already!

Another question: Will they still schedule me for the VBT and PFT if I don't pass the vision test on the 19th and have to re-test the vision in a few months?
                    CBPO

Comment

• Just for curiosity... from those that have taken the pft2 when they test you for the 1.5 mile and the sprint are you by yourself or are there other testers on the track with you? And I will assume middle lane of the track? I know it doesn't matter as long as I train well and prepare myself which I have been just my curiosity has peeked so I thought I might ask. Thanks.
                      Exam - July 2008
                      NOR - Aug 2008
                      T.O. - Dec 2008
                      Background Completed - March 2009
                      TSU - April 22 2009
                      FCRA - March 2010
                      Drivers License Form - May 2010
                      Back in TSU - June 15 2010
                      Poly - January 2011
                      2nd BI - May 2011 (Still waiting on the little green check)

Comment

• Originally posted by NIKKIinBUFFALO View Post
                        Just for curiosity... from those that have taken the pft2 when they test you for the 1.5 mile and the sprint are you by yourself or are there other testers on the track with you? And I will assume middle lane of the track? I know it doesn't matter as long as I train well and prepare myself which I have been just my curiosity has peeked so I thought I might ask. Thanks.
                        If you were the proctor would you want to wait while each person individually ran 1.5 miles? just thought I might comment. I am sure the sprint is individual, but maybe not.

Comment

• Originally posted by NIKKIinBUFFALO View Post
                          Just for curiosity... from those that have taken the pft2 when they test you for the 1.5 mile and the sprint are you by yourself or are there other testers on the track with you? And I will assume middle lane of the track? I know it doesn't matter as long as I train well and prepare myself which I have been just my curiosity has peeked so I thought I might ask. Thanks.
                          220 yards test 2 ppl each time, 1.5 miles test with all the ppl together

Comment

• Any PT test I've ever done for any agency, at my police academy,etc. has been with multiple people at once and the inside lane is your optimal lane. You always want to run in the inside lane for the 1.5. The farther away from that you are the more running you are doing. As for the sprints, I have always been staggered with other runners and assigned a single lane (exactly like you see in track & field events). I can only imagine that CBP's PFT2 is the same way. I would not stress about it. You'll do fine!!! Just keep moving your feet!!!

Comment

• I just noticed that SE has "few vacancies" where as SW has "many". Can I change my geo pref just by emailing the contact in the announcement?
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation:

I know of several people within CBP and elsewhere who've created significant issues with their eyes by rushing into LASIK/PRK/whatever.

IMO, eye surgery is something not to be trifled with. Pick out the best and most reputable person you can find to do the procedure. Don't rush it and grab the first bozo you can find who's willing to do it on short notice. The job will wait...and your eyes will likely thank you in the end.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14787 users online. 464 members and 14323 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X