Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got some bad news in the mail today. i have passed every step along the way towards getting hired as a cbp officer, and was about halfway through my background check. however, in december, they notified me that my uncorrected vision was 20/200. i went to my eye doctor, and they told me that i was 20/100, thus meeting the standard. they JUST sent me a letter telling me that was not good enough, and my tentative offer was cancelled. what happens now? if i get lasik, and wait three months as they specify, can i jump in, or do i have to start all over again? please shed some light for me, i'm freaking out. this process has already taken a year. thank you.

Comment

• "Hey guys, I took the assessment 2/09/07, results came back with an 89 and I just received my tentative offer packet 3/9/07"
      Are you saying that you recieved a tentative offer before doing a medical, physical test and VBT? Did they arrive at the same time? I had the impression that you must complete these tests before an offer is made. Is it because you are a TSA?

Comment

• I have not done the medical, fitness or VBT yet. The letter that comes with the packet states a location of offering (like mine says Virginia) and that once I complete the packet and is turned in/processed, I should receive a letter within 6 weeks stating when and where my VBT will be taken. I am almost finished with the packet. I just have my fingerprints and some loose ends to tie up with employment history. If anyone else has info on my question from earlier please feel free to offer. Thanks again.
        Assessment: Passed (89) 2/9/07
        Qualifications: Pending
        VBT: 4/12/07 rescheduled 6/5/07 Passed 6/21/07
        Medical: Passed 3/21/07
        Fitness Test: Passed 3/21/07
        Background: In security office
        Drug Test: Scheduled for 6/27/07

Comment

• You took the test in Feb of this year and already received a TO letter/packet? I took the test on 02/05 but for florida locations. I hope that it is as quick as yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by sierra164
            i got some bad news in the mail today. i have passed every step along the way towards getting hired as a cbp officer, and was about halfway through my background check. however, in december, they notified me that my uncorrected vision was 20/200. i went to my eye doctor, and they told me that i was 20/100, thus meeting the standard. they JUST sent me a letter telling me that was not good enough, and my tentative offer was cancelled. what happens now? if i get lasik, and wait three months as they specify, can i jump in, or do i have to start all over again? please shed some light for me, i'm freaking out. this process has already taken a year. thank you.

Did they pass you in CASS and then send you a letter?
            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet
              Did they pass you in CASS and then send you a letter?
              Since I got my letter from medical, I can no longer log into CASS. I've been calling both of the numbers I have in Minneapolis, but haven't gotten a call back.
              I don't know what to do from here.
              Thanks for replying.

Comment

• Sierra,
                I am so sorry to hear what happened. When I read your post earlier this week all I could do was shake my head. I hope that you can beat the system and jump right back into the process. Do you feel that your vision is really that bad? I wear glasses but I don't even remember what my vision is. Is 20/100 really bad? Can you see people's faces that are a couple feet in front of you without eyeglasses or contacts?

Also, has anyone else received a TO letter that took the test recently 07?
                Last edited by Jigzacura; 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Thanks.
                  Medical told me that corrective eye surgery was the only way to pass the vision requirements in my case, so I've started looking for a doctor. I've been playing phone tag with people at the hiring center about how I can continue the process when the surgery gets done. There is a three month wait after surgery before you can get hired, so I hope maybe they can finish my background check during that time. Of course, they rescinded my COE, so it may not be that simple.
                  Hurry up and wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by zeit_geist
                    "Hey guys, I took the assessment 2/09/07, results came back with an 89 and I just received my tentative offer packet 3/9/07"
                    Are you saying that you recieved a tentative offer before doing a medical, physical test and VBT? Did they arrive at the same time? I had the impression that you must complete these tests before an offer is made. Is it because you are a TSA?

I felt that my history with this can answer your question with how they appear to be sending out TO's

I took the written test in April of 2006 and scored an 88. I'm looking to work in the MN region. After 8 months of waiting I got my TO letter the 3rd week of Dec. In Jan and Feb of 07 I did the physical, Fitness, Drug, and VBT tests. I'm waiting now to hear back on my background check. CASS just says that my case is in the security office. The FAQ with my login to CASS says that the background takes at least 4-6 months from the time that they get that mountain of forms that I had to fill out.
                    I really don't know what's better.
                    Filing my income taxes or filling out the SF-86!!!

By the way, is there anyone out there that works at the port in Duluth, MN?
                    I'm wondering if there is a seaport located there too and not just the the airport.
                    Anyone else that has worked or does work at any of the MN locations, please share some of your experiences with me. I'm curious to hear about your daily activites.

Finally, has anyone received a final offer for a position in MN lately? If so, how many locations did your FO offer you?
                    Thank you in advance.

Comment

• Just an update guys. I was scheduled today to take a physical and fitness test at a local medical office in greensboro, nc. I'm done filling out the SF-86 minus the fingerprints which I will get done on tuesday, i hope. Hopefully all goes well with the physical and fitness and then I can get the drug and VBT scheduled and then wait for an offer , another hopefully. Good luck to everyone else applying. If anyone out there works in VA what are the various duty locations that you can receive and are you given a choice or told where to go? Also if anyone has a reply about being qualified for GS-7 but paperwork says for GS-5, is that something that can be taken care of before going through this process or am I stuck?

Thanks for any input.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fenito
                        Just an update guys. I was scheduled today to take a physical and fitness test at a local medical office in greensboro, nc. I'm done filling out the SF-86 minus the fingerprints which I will get done on tuesday, i hope. Hopefully all goes well with the physical and fitness and then I can get the drug and VBT scheduled and then wait for an offer , another hopefully. Good luck to everyone else applying. If anyone out there works in VA what are the various duty locations that you can receive and are you given a choice or told where to go? Also if anyone has a reply about being qualified for GS-7 but paperwork says for GS-5, is that something that can be taken care of before going through this process or am I stuck?

Thanks for any input.
                        I am a CBPO @ jfk NY are u sure thats a TO ive never heard of a TO before u qualify for the job (as far as med./ drug screening is concerned) I waited 2+ years to get called, and that was after i spoke to someone over the phonewho told me i got the job way after medical and everything i even had to do a self recertifacation on my medical. that seems quick. check CASS to see if everything is passed or pending.

also i didnt read all posts 10 pgs to much. they hire by locality first then score... in other words i apply in ny(very busy) and score a 72 you apply for wischestertofieldville iowa (the middle of no place with a port open 2 hours a day for 1 flight maned by 5 officers) and score 95 i can get called before u b/c those 5 dinosours wont quit/retire/die got it

As far as TSA is concerned i got 1 day seniority on the non prior federal employees and i applied for gs-5 and @ time of appointment qualified for gs-7 it didnt mean a thing u can try (god knows i did) but look at their side u say no to the gs-5 the next guy will say yes. hope i helped
                        Last edited by bigblue8081; 03-16-2007, 01:32 AM.
                        When in doubt prone em' out!

Comment

• TO letter

From my reading I was under the impression that after the test, if selected you receive a TO letter. Then you continue on with the VBT, Physical, medical, BI etc. Most people (again this is from reading posts on here and other forums) receive their TO then begin the process. Can someone clarify this?

P.S. I find it amazing that Fenito took the test in February this year and received a TO letter in March of this year. I guess it must have something to do with his duty location choice and score.

*Edit* I reread his original post and realized he also works for TSA for almost 5 years. That could be the icing on the cake.

Shane
                          Last edited by Jigzacura; 03-16-2007, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jigzacura
                            From my reading I was under the impression that after the test, if selected you receive a TO letter. Then you continue on with the VBT, Physical, medical, BI etc. Most people (again this is from reading posts on here and other forums) receive their TO then begin the process. Can someone clarify this?

P.S. I find it amazing that Fenito took the test in February this year and received a TO letter in March of this year. I guess it must have something to do with his duty location choice and score.

*Edit* I reread his original post and realized he also works for TSA for almost 5 years. That could be the icing on the cake.

Shane
                            TSA don't mean jack!!! it won't speed up the process nor give special privileges.

Comment

• I realize TSA isn't anything special nor did I ask to receive special privileges. I was simply asking for any light to be shed upon qualifying for GS-7 over GS-5. Most of my co-workers qualified for GS-7 and that's why I asked. I just happened to not read into the questions and I guess I shot myself in the foot. A mistake that I will have to deal with when the time comes. But yes I took the assessment on 2/9/07, and received my TO packet (actually it says tentative selection so I guess that my be different), friday of last week. Sorry if I misinterpreted the information. I logged into the EQIP system to fill out my application but I haven't been able to get by a local office to get fingerprints done. Our office only uses the electronic fingerprints so I am going to have to check with either another local DHS office or just wait until tuesday and have the local PD office do them. CASS currently shows everything pending. Thanks again for info guys.

Comment

• my bad TO i think is correct but that doesnt mean anything about getting the job. first u gotta jump through hoops. like i said before ur tsa time counts twd retirement depending on age me 35 years and 57 age and you will get 1 day seniority on the others in ur port that start the same day that is all and when u get the job try not to mention tsa ppl laugh at tsa
                                When in doubt prone em' out!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4474 users online. 174 members and 4300 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X