300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waterpistola View Post
    attractive maybe, easier to lateral once you are in...absolutely. It is what you make of it.
    This. Once you're in, do your time-in-grade and acquire status. Once you have status, you can apply internally to any federal job open to status candidates. Like me, you'll then be spending lots of time applying to status positions on USAJOBS.
    CBP Officer
    Initial Application: 11/16/10
    Test Exam: 12/13/10
    Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
    New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
    Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
    Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

• Hello everyone..

I"ve got a T.O. for SW California border. I know I'm a looong way off from getting a real offer, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some answers to some questions I had. I would be much appreciative, as I have started reading this epic thread and not found what I was looking for yet.

Very broad question- what can I expect if I do end up getting a job in SW California? Is it dangerous? What is the nature of the work? I am quite clueless when it comes to what I'd actually end up doing if given the job.

I know that San Diego is one of the locations down there, but if stationed somewhere else, is it still feasible to live in SD and commute out to the job?

That's all for now.

Appreciate the help everyone. Have a good night.

Comment

• Jaxamillion, you should try and catch some episodes of border wars or the old show Homeland Security USA, those shows do a good job of highlighting a lot of the details of the job by showing real situations that are encountered by members of CBP, wether your a CBPO, BPA, or part of the Air and Marine team, you will definately see the role your position plays
        YOU'VE GOT THE MAGIC EYE, HOYT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MuscleShark View Post
          Jaxamillion, you should try and catch some episodes of border wars or the old show Homeland Security USA, those shows do a good job of highlighting a lot of the details of the job by showing real situations that are encountered by members of CBP, wether your a CBPO, BPA, or part of the Air and Marine team, you will definately see the role your position plays
          Ahhh...no, they don't.

Nearly everybody playacts far too much for the cameras and much is staged in those shows, as compared to reality.
          Plus, you'll see far more GS-13s and above out working the frontline when the camera crews are out. That seldom, if ever, happens in the real world.

Comment

• A friend of mine also in this process had the opportunity to speak with a current CBPO stationed along the SWB today and he mentioned some interesting, if not alarming and discouraging information to say the least.

According to him, the reason there is such a massive push for hiring along the SWB is because the position of CBPO along with ICE and Border Patrol agents in the regions along the border is becoming a lot more dangerous in recent times. Some of our ladies and gentlemen in uniform are finding themselves being followed home, allegedly by people on the payroll of the cartels. Many are turning in their badges and guns after relatively little time on the job due to the stress of looking over their shoulders every day. Is there anybody on here who can elaborate on this? It doesn't seem that far-fetched to me given what's going on in Mexico nowadays to be honest. This wouldn't deter me personally from accepting the job, as risk is inherent to any LE position and I believe most of us have accepted that, but it certainly adds a degree of discomfort in my mind.
            CBPO
            Test: 12/6/10

NOR: 1/25/11
            T.O. 5/25/11
            Geo: Laredo, TX
            NYPD
            Test: 2/2011
            NOR: 5/4/11
            List #: 1XX

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Ahhh...no, they don't.

Nearly everybody playacts far too much for the cameras and much is staged in those shows, as compared to reality.
              Plus, you'll see far more GS-13s and above out working the frontline when the camera crews are out. That seldom, if ever, happens in the real world.
              EXACTLY RIGHT!! You're lucky if a first-line sup does any inspectional duties. Not that it isn't ever seen, just not very likely.

Comment

• my frd just got a call for Rouses Point, Champlain NY

he is going to WV to take the running test on July 1 and report to the port on July 11

and my test is 2 points lower than him back in 2008 he got 86 and i got 84 .... hope i will get a call soon since i really want to go with him..

Comment

• Originally posted by jaxamillian View Post
                  Hello everyone..

I"ve got a T.O. for SW California border. I know I'm a looong way off from getting a real offer, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some answers to some questions I had. I would be much appreciative, as I have started reading this epic thread and not found what I was looking for yet.

Very broad question- what can I expect if I do end up getting a job in SW California? Is it dangerous? What is the nature of the work? I am quite clueless when it comes to what I'd actually end up doing if given the job.

I know that San Diego is one of the locations down there, but if stationed somewhere else, is it still feasible to live in SD and commute out to the job?

That's all for now.

Appreciate the help everyone. Have a good night.
                  First, congratulations on getting your TO...may everything run smoothly for you. SW border = a lof of drafting (mandatory OT). The weather in San Diego is nice pretty much all year long, Calexico is HOT in the summer. Like any LE career, the dangers are always there. It's nothing to lose sleep about though. You applied for a job that you are clueless about? Read cbp.gov about the position for a general idea in a nutshell. The port options along the SW border are: San Diego (Airport/Seaport), famous San Ysidro, Otay Mesa (together with San Ysidro), Otay Mesa Commercial, Tecate (both passenger and commercial POEs), and Calexico (two hours from SD;both passenger and commercial POEs;divided into West and East ports). If and when you get your official job offer, if they offer you Otay Mesa...that is commercial. Overall, this is a great career! It has enabled me to learn and experience a lot, travel, and buy things that I never thought would be possible. I've been in four years now and am proud to serve on the frontline.
                  Last edited by SDfed619; 06-27-2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick7 View Post
                    A friend of mine also in this process had the opportunity to speak with a current CBPO stationed along the SWB today and he mentioned some interesting, if not alarming and discouraging information to say the least.

According to him, the reason there is such a massive push for hiring along the SWB is because the position of CBPO along with ICE and Border Patrol agents in the regions along the border is becoming a lot more dangerous in recent times. Some of our ladies and gentlemen in uniform are finding themselves being followed home, allegedly by people on the payroll of the cartels. Many are turning in their badges and guns after relatively little time on the job due to the stress of looking over their shoulders every day. Is there anybody on here who can elaborate on this? It doesn't seem that far-fetched to me given what's going on in Mexico nowadays to be honest. This wouldn't deter me personally from accepting the job, as risk is inherent to any LE position and I believe most of us have accepted that, but it certainly adds a degree of discomfort in my mind.
                    What port was that CBPO stationed at? Must not be California SW border because I haven't heard of any officers turning in their gun and badge due to the stress of looking over their shoulders. In fact, there hasn't been very many people quitting this job lately. If they do quit it is because they don't like the job, they don't like the mandatory OT, and family issues or they lateral to other agencies. I'm not saying there aren't instances where officers are being followed but it's pretty seldom and not something to make one paranoid about. Again, I am referring to the California SW border.

Comment

• Originally posted by poolearmor View Post
                      my frd just got a call for Rouses Point, Champlain NY

he is going to WV to take the running test on July 1 and report to the port on July 11

and my test is 2 points lower than him back in 2008 he got 86 and i got 84 .... hope i will get a call soon since i really want to go with him..
                      Hey that's where I was born when my dad was a Customs Inspector there! Congrats to your friend but don't expect to get a call too soon because they probably filled the opening(s) they had with your friend (i'd be surprised if there was more than 1)
                      But that is good to hear someone got hired other than SWB!
                      CBPO
                      Test: July 2008
                      TO: 12/26/08
                      VBT 1/21/09-passed
                      Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                      Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                      Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                      BI - Cleared
                      TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                      BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                      Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

• Originally posted by SDfed619 View Post
                        What port was that CBPO stationed at? Must not be California SW border because I haven't heard of any officers turning in their gun and badge due to the stress of looking over their shoulders. In fact, there hasn't been very many people quitting this job lately. If they do quit it is because they don't like the job, they don't like the mandatory OT, and family issues or they lateral to other agencies. I'm not saying there aren't instances where officers are being followed but it's pretty seldom and not something to make one paranoid about. Again, I am referring to the California SW border.
                        Further questioned my friend about the matter, he says he doesn't remember which POE the guy worked at. I'm smelling a bit of embellishment. I'm happy to hear from a real CBPO first hand that this stuff is not very common though, thank you for the clarification, and thank you for being on the front lines for us. With any luck I'll be there myself in due time - PFT1 on Wednesday.
                        CBPO
                        Test: 12/6/10

NOR: 1/25/11
                        T.O. 5/25/11
                        Geo: Laredo, TX
                        NYPD
                        Test: 2/2011
                        NOR: 5/4/11
                        List #: 1XX

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick7 View Post
                          Further questioned my friend about the matter, he says he doesn't remember which POE the guy worked at. I'm smelling a bit of embellishment. I'm happy to hear from a real CBPO first hand that this stuff is not very common though, thank you for the clarification, and thank you for being on the front lines for us. With any luck I'll be there myself in due time - PFT1 on Wednesday.
                          Hey brother...good luck on your PFT1!!!!

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• Just did PFT1 today. According to the score sheet on the CBP website and my performance, I should be getting 105 points across the 4 events and passed the "up up down down for 5 minutes" test. I was worried about the step test... it seems so awkward. Huge weight lifted off of my shoulders though.

Just got home and found a letter for the VBT in August. This process seems to be flying. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by poolearmor View Post
                                my frd just got a call for Rouses Point, Champlain NY

What was his TO date? Do you know? I am waiting on the same region. I took the test in 2007, deferred to 2008, and received my TO in February of 2009. What does your guy's time line look like? Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12264 users online. 373 members and 11891 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X