Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by yoda View Post
    Unless you're getting close to 37 I'd say stay with the region you want, transfers are close to impossible to come by, and taking a spot just to "get your foot in the door" is not really the answer. As you can see there are current CBPO's that took that route and are now applying and willing to take pay cuts to go back to where they wanted be in the first place. In either case you're still looking at a 2-4 year wait for an EOD, so don't go for the place you don't want to if 2 years from now you're changing your region once again and losing your original TO date... inevitably adding those years back into the wait time.
    That would be my $.02 on this, you do what you feel like is best for you...
    I got quite a few years until I am 37. I guess you are right, it will be at least 2013 before I can even think about putting that patch on my shoulder. Ideally I would like Boston or anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic region. I am wondering do I hold out for Boston and run the risk of being shipped to Bangor, Champlain, Buffalo, etc. or should I change my region to the Mid-Atlantic? I think they are bigger ports so they need greater numbers....but I just don't know. NOTHING IS EASY! haha

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Waterpistola View Post
      I got quite a few years until I am 37. I guess you are right, it will be at least 2013 before I can even think about putting that patch on my shoulder. Ideally I would like Boston or anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic region. I am wondering do I hold out for Boston and run the risk of being shipped to Bangor, Champlain, Buffalo, etc. or should I change my region to the Mid-Atlantic? I think they are bigger ports so they need greater numbers....but I just don't know. NOTHING IS EASY! haha
      The problem is that right now you can only choose between southwest or southeast with the current announcement... so i'm not quite sure how you can manage a change to anywhere else at least until a new announcement opens up with the region you want. A 96 is a very good score the problem is that if you picked a POE that is small, has few if any slots, then you could be waiting for a long time... If they had 100 app's go through for that POE and from that 100, 5 received higher scores than you, and they only have 5 slots coming up... you're ***** out of luck!
      There hasn't been any, that we know, hiring for that region for years now... so there has to be some need in those POE's for new bodies. You never know bud, sometimes luck and destiny could be on your side, but from what I've seen on here... East coast people that head to the SWB regret it soon after.
      This is just my opinion though, you do what you think is best for you!
      Last edited by yoda; 06-26-2011, 01:44 AM.
      CBPO
      Written: 08/29/2007
      EOD: July 11, 2011

      Comment


      • Originally posted by yoda View Post
        The problem is that right now you can only choose between southwest or southeast with the current announcement... so i'm not quite sure how you can manage a change to anywhere else at least until a new announcement opens up with the region you want. A 96 is a very good score the problem is that if you picked a POE that is small, has few if any slots, then you could be waiting for a long time... If they had 100 app's go through for that POE and from that 100, 5 received higher scores than you, and they only have 5 slots coming up... you're ***** out of luck!
        There hasn't been any, that we know, hiring for that region for years now... so there has to be some need in those POE's for new bodies. You never know bud, sometimes luck and destiny could be on your side, but from what I've seen on here... East coast people that head to the SWB regret soon after.This is just my opinion though, you do what you think is best for you!
        so true, im one of them
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by yoda View Post
          The problem is that right now you can only choose between southwest or southeast with the current announcement... so i'm not quite sure how you can manage a change to anywhere else at least until a new announcement opens up with the region you want. A 96 is a very good score the problem is that if you picked a POE that is small, has few if any slots, then you could be waiting for a long time... If they had 100 app's go through for that POE and from that 100, 5 received higher scores than you, and they only have 5 slots coming up... you're ***** out of luck!
          There hasn't been any, that we know, hiring for that region for years now... so there has to be some need in those POE's for new bodies. You never know bud, sometimes luck and destiny could be on your side, but from what I've seen on here... East coast people that head to the SWB regret it soon after.
          This is just my opinion though, you do what you think is best for you!
          I took the Dec 2010 exam and received an email I posted two pages back allowing me to change my geographic preference to any of the ones listed. I guess I am lucky in that sense. I am just trying to get a feel for what ports may open in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic. Someone did post though if I receive a TO for the Northeast then I should be able to transfer to a more desirable port for me because people are trying to transfer back home. I'm also told that a lot of people currently in are looking to retire so that will open the flood gates when it comes to hiring I hope.

          Comment


          • I am currently at the academy and the only hires from the Northeast within the past year have been for Dulles, JFK, and Buffalo. As far as I know, all of those hires have/had been waiting since April 2007. The waiting list is very long and anyone applying now who wants to get in within the next two years must be willing to move to the southwest. I believe this current announcement was open to the southeast because Miami and Atlanta have just sent 20+ trainees to FLETC. Taking into consideration the small amount of TOs those two POEs receive, 20+ hires would empty the pool pretty quickly. Other than those two ports, there has been no other hiring in the southeast.

            Comment


            • I wonder how this new change of region will affect all hiring in general...faster? slower? hmm...anyway...I scored an 86 on dec 2011 exam and i put in for jfk..when they sent my NOR they changed my geographic location to EWR for some reason...after the new email we got I decided to change it to florida, I know it may be a long wait but I rather wait it out for Florida than JFK...it is def a LONG wait for jfk from what i hear....

              btw, I emailed them about changing location, how do i know when they change it? or how do i find out i haven't received a response..
              Last edited by Joyero; 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM.
              NYPD Exam # 6093
              List #: 15xx
              Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (Passed)
              Mini Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (not sure yet)
              Meet with BI: ???
              Written psychological: Jan 12th 2010
              Oral psychological: Jan 14th 2010
              JST: Jan 11th 2010 (passed 2:39)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                I am currently at the academy and the only hires from the Northeast within the past year have been for Dulles, JFK, and Buffalo. As far as I know, all of those hires have/had been waiting since April 2007. The waiting list is very long and anyone applying now who wants to get in within the next two years must be willing to move to the southwest. I believe this current announcement was open to the southeast because Miami and Atlanta have just sent 20+ trainees to FLETC. Taking into consideration the small amount of TOs those two POEs receive, 20+ hires would empty the pool pretty quickly. Other than those two ports, there has been no other hiring in the southeast.
                The southeast region does not include Florida... Florida now has been placed together with the Caribbean as a region.
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CMUnupe View Post
                  Uncorrected must be better than 20/200, which is the letter E at the top of the snellen chart.

                  Take it from someone who failed the eye portion and had to have surgery, which delayed my eligibility to EOD back in 08 ....still waiting by the way.
                  So If I have 20/100 with two eyes without glasses and 20/20 with glasses I'm fine.

                  Comment


                  • Has anyone in FLETC or anyone on here heard anything about east Texas? I tested back in 8/08 and TO'd back in 9/08 and just kind of wondering. I recieved a 94 rating and I shouldn't be to far away if they get some movement in my local. Geeze they have enough ports in east Texas!!
                    Last edited by stck_mkt; 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Since I was never sent the CD instructing me on what to do for the newer fitness test, I have been looking online and found this website. A video is attached at the end.
                      http://www.chsmedical.com/dhscbpfitness/cbpo_page.html

                      Edit: A video which, of course, does not work.
                      Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 06-26-2011, 07:36 PM.
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK
                      TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

                      TO - 01/09
                      PE Forms - Completed
                      Fitness - Completed
                      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                      Drug Screen - Completed
                      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                      Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                      TSU


                      EOD: ???
                      FLETC: ???

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                        Since I was never sent the CD instructing me on what to do for the newer fitness test, I have been looking online and found this website. A video is attached at the end.
                        http://www.chsmedical.com/dhscbpfitn...age.htmhttp://

                        Edit: A video which, of course, does not work.
                        http://www.chsmedical.com/dhscbpfitness/cbpo_page.htm
                        CBPO TSL 5/25/11 | MED 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | PFT1 7/18/11 | VBT 7/20/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11

                        BPA TSL 5/24/11 | MED/PFT1 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | OB 7/22/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11 | TSU 8/22/11 | EOD 9/12/11

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                          I am currently at the academy and the only hires from the Northeast within the past year have been for Dulles, JFK, and Buffalo. As far as I know, all of those hires have/had been waiting since April 2007. The waiting list is very long and anyone applying now who wants to get in within the next two years must be willing to move to the southwest. I believe this current announcement was open to the southeast because Miami and Atlanta have just sent 20+ trainees to FLETC. Taking into consideration the small amount of TOs those two POEs receive, 20+ hires would empty the pool pretty quickly. Other than those two ports, there has been no other hiring in the southeast.
                          You right about Miami and Atlanta. I recently received a T.O. for Georgia and it seems they are expediting the process to get more bodies in the app pool. Other than that, I don't think many of us on this board can stand to wait 2-4 years for a spot.
                          Exam: 12/10
                          NOR: 1/25/10
                          Qualifications: (GS-7)
                          T.O: 5/25/11 (Georgia)
                          PFT1: 6/11 (Cleared)
                          B.I.: 6/11 (Started)
                          Medical: 7/11 (Cleared)
                          VBT & S.I.: 7/11(Cleared)
                          Drug Test: 8/11 (Cleared)
                          B.I.: 9/11 (Cleared)
                          PFT2: (rescheduled due to high BP)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                            I am currently at the academy and the only hires from the Northeast within the past year have been for Dulles, JFK, and Buffalo. As far as I know, all of those hires have/had been waiting since April 2007. The waiting list is very long and anyone applying now who wants to get in within the next two years must be willing to move to the southwest. I believe this current announcement was open to the southeast because Miami and Atlanta have just sent 20+ trainees to FLETC. Taking into consideration the small amount of TOs those two POEs receive, 20+ hires would empty the pool pretty quickly. Other than those two ports, there has been no other hiring in the southeast.
                            Ill just wait for JFK. At least the ones you say are in the academy have been waiting longer than me. I'd love to hear their horror stories from this process.
                            CBPO
                            TO - 05/08 JFK
                            EOD - 12/05/2011

                            Comment


                            • Do you think getting into CBP would make any one more attractive and easier to get into another agency as opposed to coming from a regular civilian position? I am filling out for a lot of other gigs just thinking go to the border for a couple of years to get some experience then leave when something else better may arrive if qualified. I am from NYC and picked SWB of Texas. I'm cool going and have free flight benefits so I could fly out on my days off and what not. I adapt well to changes as well no kids no girls its whatever i guess.
                              CBP: CBPO
                              EOD: 10/11/11 (South Texas)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BKsfinest10 View Post
                                Do you think getting into CBP would make any one more attractive and easier to get into another agency as opposed to coming from a regular civilian position? I am filling out for a lot of other gigs just thinking go to the border for a couple of years to get some experience then leave when something else better may arrive if qualified. I am from NYC and picked SWB of Texas. I'm cool going and have free flight benefits so I could fly out on my days off and what not. I adapt well to changes as well no kids no girls its whatever i guess.
                                attractive maybe, easier to lateral once you are in...absolutely. It is what you make of it.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7423 users online. 394 members and 7029 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X