Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typically speaking how long does it usually take for one's pre-employment forms and qualifications to go green in cass? I'm assuming it takes a while so I'm just trying to get an idea.
    CBPO
    Test: 12/6/10

NOR: 1/25/11
    T.O. 5/25/11
    Geo: Laredo, TX
    NYPD
    Test: 2/2011
    NOR: 5/4/11
    List #: 1XX

Comment

• Has anyone that is currently a CBP or not heard anything about hiring in Texas that is non-border? Been in the process since 8/08 and just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by stck_mkt View Post
        Has anyone that is currently a CBP or not heard anything about hiring in Texas that is non-border? Been in the process since 8/08 and just curious.
        Bro, that is what I got in the e-mail some time ago

We are writing to you in reference to your geographic location for the position of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer position, GS-1895-5/7 with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Recently, we sent out an inquiry asking applicants to consider working in one of several critical locations along the southwest border of the United States, and as a result we were able to make a large number of additional tentative selections. We do however continue to have a critical need in the following locations.

203- Arizona (for the state of Arizona)
        265-Texas-Laredo
        266-Texas-All Other Southwest Border Locations (includes but not limited to
        Brownsville, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, Pharr, Progreso, Rio Grande City and Roma)
        267-Texas- West/New Mexico (includes but not limited to El Paso, Fabens, and
        Presido, TX and the state of New Mexico)

Therefore, we are again inviting applicants to change their current geographic location to one of the above locations.

CBP anticipates filling approximately 500 positions along the southwest border, therefore, opportunities for tentative selection consideration are expected to be higher in one of these geographic locations.

If you are interested in selecting one of these priority locations for consideration, please send an email to: [email protected] no later than midnight eastern time, Friday May 27, 2011. Please be sure to include your name, current address, email, phone number, last 4 digits of you social security number and which one location you are interested in being considered for. Please note that changing your geographic location will overwrite any previous geographic location you selected and once you receive a tentative offer for a specific geographic location you will not be able to change locations.

If you do not wish to be considered for one of these priority locations, you do not need to take any action, and you will remain on the inventory for future consideration in your current geographic location. If you have any questions you may contact our office via email at [email protected] or by calling (612) 467-7027 option 2 and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with the U. S. Customs and Border Protection.

CBP
        Minneapolis Hiring Center
        SPIRIT Unit
        CBPO
        TEST : 12/09/10
        NOR : 1/27/11 (80%)
        TSL : 6/14/11
        GEO : SWB TEXAS

Comment

• Is CBP initiating another hiring phase soon? Someone said on here June 21 but wanted to clarify. Also, what are the chances of me getting on with border patrol and leaving for CBP within 2 years if I wanted to? Is jumping from BP to CBP common? Do they encourage "agency jumping" that soon in a career? I'm curious because my background for BP just got passed through and I should receive an EOD within the next 3 months in my estimation, but I still want to apply for the CBP coming up. A lot of this has to do with what location BP offers me when I get an EOD, Im getting more serious with my girlfriend and the whole reality of living on the border is becoming more clear. CBP is attractive to me because if Im correct, you get complete control in the state/city/region they send you.

I guess Im just paranoid Border Patrol will find out right away that Im in the application process for CBP and ask me why I am wasting my time with them if I am considering leaving so soon.
          Last edited by borderguard_1; 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post
            Hey boss,

I went through all my emails and what not and I found this email from October of 2009 that was sent to EVERYONE. I'll give you the abbreviated parts which contradict what you have been told... at least they do in my opinion.

"At this time we do not have any vacancies in your selected geographic location and we are unable to predict when vacancies will become available. Hiring has slowed considerably due to the current economic climate. Please be assured that our office will contact you once we receive enough vacancies to reach your name. This email is intended to provide you with some answers to the TSU’s frequently asked questions (FAQ).

Q. Do I lose my place in the queue if I have to repeat any pre-employment requirements (i.e. medical, fitness)?

A. Although CASS will update with your most recent Refer to Scheduling date, our office always tracks your original Refer to Scheduling date. Once vacancies occur in your selected geographic location, you will be called in the order your file was originally referred to Scheduling.

Q. Does my application expire after the 90 day time frame has elapsed?

A. The 30/60/90 day time frame provided on CASS is only an estimate and may be extended depending on your selected geographic location. Your file will remain in the Scheduling Unit until we receive vacancies in your location. Most pre-employment processes (medical, fitness, etc.) are valid for one year. If anything expires, you will be contacted for an update. "

The second Q&A doesn't really matter because we all know this to be true. However, the first Q&A I listed goes against what you have been recently told. Maybe the BI is an exception but why would they not tell us this? Did you take a polygraph??? That's the only thing I can think of that might have put your file behind the other person whom got hired before you.

Lastly, BOP is a good job. Trust me ;-) You will learn a lot about yourself dealing with nuts and butts all day! I did not make a career out of it but it was a good start for me and I look back with a smile. Never thought I would do some of the stuff I did. Good luck to you!
            Yeah I remember reading that post and sending a similar email about a year ago to MHC in which they told me that my spot in line would be safe while some steps were pending. I have had no problems with the multiple background investigations I have gone through over the last few years.
            CBPO
            TO - 05/08 JFK
            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
              seeOH,
              Your emails are from back when they held us through our TSU dates, which is now not used, they use your certificate/TO date to hand out the jobs... So they might have changed the way they hold you in the line. Personally I have called in to check when CASS has gone mad and when they check their computers they have old and outdated stuff showing up... It may be that once something goes to pending on CASS your TO gets pulled out of TSU until it is back to green. This really sucks for you coastie, believe me I feel your pain! Drive on brother!...
              Yes it sucks but it seems you have had the worst experience out of all of us. Im not too worried anymore I think all us old timers will be in sooner rather than later
              CBPO
              TO - 05/08 JFK
              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by borderguard_1 View Post
                Is CBP initiating another hiring phase soon? Someone said on here June 21 but wanted to clarify. Also, what are the chances of me getting on with border patrol and leaving for CBP within 2 years if I wanted to? Is jumping from BP to CBP common? Do they encourage "agency jumping" that soon in a career? I'm curious because my background for BP just got passed through and I should receive an EOD within the next 3 months in my estimation, but I still want to apply for the CBP coming up. A lot of this has to do with what location BP offers me when I get an EOD, Im getting more serious with my girlfriend and the whole reality of living on the border is becoming more clear. CBP is attractive to me because if Im correct, you get complete control in the state/city/region they send you.

I guess Im just paranoid Border Patrol will find out right away that Im in the application process for CBP and ask me why I am wasting my time with them if I am considering leaving so soon.
                I dont know how common it is to move from BP to CBP, but if these boards are any indicator BPAs regularly leave for positions with CBP, ICE, or some special agent position. I would take the BP job if offered. You will find that many you are in the academy with also applied not just for CBPO but multiple other job openings. I don't think its looked down on when switching agencies. I just wouldn't make it know until you have a firm EOD in hand.

I dont know what you mean by CBP getting complete control of the state/city/region.
                CBPO
                TO - 05/08 JFK
                EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                  I dont know how common it is to move from BP to CBP, but if these boards are any indicator BPAs regularly leave for positions with CBP, ICE, or some special agent position. I would take the BP job if offered. You will find that many you are in the academy with also applied not just for CBPO but multiple other job openings. I don't think its looked down on when switching agencies. I just wouldn't make it know until you have a firm EOD in hand.

I dont know what you mean by CBP getting complete control of the state/city/region.
                  What I meant was that when you apply with CBP you select where you will be stationed. Its not like Border Patrol where you select a "preference" location, but in reality they put you where you are needed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polonicus View Post
                    Bro, that is what I got in the e-mail some time ago

We are writing to you in reference to your geographic location for the position of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer position, GS-1895-5/7 with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Recently, we sent out an inquiry asking applicants to consider working in one of several critical locations along the southwest border of the United States, and as a result we were able to make a large number of additional tentative selections. We do however continue to have a critical need in the following locations.

203- Arizona (for the state of Arizona)
                    265-Texas-Laredo
                    266-Texas-All Other Southwest Border Locations (includes but not limited to
                    Brownsville, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, Pharr, Progreso, Rio Grande City and Roma)
                    267-Texas- West/New Mexico (includes but not limited to El Paso, Fabens, and
                    Presido, TX and the state of New Mexico)

Therefore, we are again inviting applicants to change their current geographic location to one of the above locations.

CBP anticipates filling approximately 500 positions along the southwest border, therefore, opportunities for tentative selection consideration are expected to be higher in one of these geographic locations.

If you are interested in selecting one of these priority locations for consideration, please send an email to: [email protected] no later than midnight eastern time, Friday May 27, 2011. Please be sure to include your name, current address, email, phone number, last 4 digits of you social security number and which one location you are interested in being considered for. Please note that changing your geographic location will overwrite any previous geographic location you selected and once you receive a tentative offer for a specific geographic location you will not be able to change locations.

If you do not wish to be considered for one of these priority locations, you do not need to take any action, and you will remain on the inventory for future consideration in your current geographic location. If you have any questions you may contact our office via email at [email protected] or by calling (612) 467-7027 option 2 and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your continued interest in employment with the U. S. Customs and Border Protection.

CBP
                    Minneapolis Hiring Center
                    SPIRIT Unit
                    I never got this email sent to me. I'm not a new applicant at all, I've been in this process since the summer of 2008. Im an old timer and must be somewhat near the top of the list. Atleast I can hope!! Been in and out of TSU three times now.

Written test: 7/2008
                    TO: 8/2008
                    original TSU: 1/2009
                    Current TSU: 5/2011
                    GEO: East Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by stck_mkt View Post
                      I never got this email sent to me. I'm not a new applicant at all, I've been in this process since the summer of 2008. Im an old timer and must be somewhat near the top of the list. Atleast I can hope!! Been in and out of TSU three times now.

Written test: 7/2008
                      TO: 8/2008
                      original TSU: 1/2009
                      Current TSU: 5/2011
                      GEO: East Texas
                      I don't think you'd get that email if you're in TSU. This is for applicants who have not yet received a TO and are capable of changing their GEO location. Once you recieve a TO you are not able to change your GEO preference.

Comment

• I've just received my TSL1 after changing my geo pref from San Diego, CA to El Paso, TX as suggested by the MHC.
                        "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

BP Agent GEO: CA, SW Border.
                        Written Test: 10/04/10
                        NOR: 11/17/10 Passed(84%).
                        TSL 1: 11/17/10
                        OB: 03/01/11 Passed.
                        Med/PTF1: 04/19/11 Passed
                        TSL 2: 04/29/11.
                        e-QIP: 05/08/11
                        BI Interview: 07/26/11
                        Drug test: 08/05/11
                        Polygraph: 02/08/2012
                        CBP Officer GEO: TX, SW Border.
                        Written Test: 12/09/10
                        NOR: 02/01/11 Passed(84%).
                        TSL 1: 06/14/11
                        PTF 1: 07/20/11Passed.
                        VBT: 09/07/11 Passed

Comment

• Hey Guys,

I just received my TO email for SW border in Cali!!

Comment

• Someone just received the call for Blaine, WA over on the delphi board.....lucky

Comment

• I was wondering; can some parts of my BPA completed steps transfer to my CBPO? Like my medical, physical ability or background investigation just to mention a few. Perhaps this question has been answered a million times, but c'mon guys this thread has near a thousand pages.
                              "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

BP Agent GEO: CA, SW Border.
                              Written Test: 10/04/10
                              NOR: 11/17/10 Passed(84%).
                              TSL 1: 11/17/10
                              OB: 03/01/11 Passed.
                              Med/PTF1: 04/19/11 Passed
                              TSL 2: 04/29/11.
                              e-QIP: 05/08/11
                              BI Interview: 07/26/11
                              Drug test: 08/05/11
                              Polygraph: 02/08/2012
                              CBP Officer GEO: TX, SW Border.
                              Written Test: 12/09/10
                              NOR: 02/01/11 Passed(84%).
                              TSL 1: 06/14/11
                              PTF 1: 07/20/11Passed.
                              VBT: 09/07/11 Passed

Comment

• Yes...that question has been answered numerous times in this thread.

The BI, physical and drug test were at one point transferable between the two positions. Whether that's true today... I don't know. Many, many changes have occured to both positions and both hiring practices over the last few years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10249 users online. 375 members and 9874 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X