300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopGunn View Post
    You can carry your duty weapon off duty but must have your creds on hand. If you carry any other weapon you must have a conceal carry permit.
    Wrong.

Please research the LEOSA. I don't care what the agency says, Congress/Law out weighs them.

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
      Wrong.

Please research the LEOSA. I don't care what the agency says, Congress/Law out weighs them.
      my mistake

Comment

• Just had a 2 hour meeting with my background investigator and everything went very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
          Just had a 2 hour meeting with my background investigator and everything went very well.
          what was your timeline? what position and where did you apply for?
          thanks
          Tested: 8/2008
          TO: 12/2008
          GEO: LAX/LB
          1st TSU: 3/5/09
          2nd Medical: 6/1/11
          Cleared 6/22/11
          2nd BI: met 7/14/11
          Cleared 9/29/11
          2nd TSU:
          Referred to Schedule EOD: 9/23/2011

The Call: 10/24/11
          EOD: 11/21/11 (LAX)
          Fletc: 12/30 - 5/7/12

PFT2: 11/4/11 (passed)
          Final EOD letter: 11/7/11

Comment

• Originally posted by 19USC View Post
            Yes, but you will seldom if ever exercise it, at least not in the form of the legal definition of the term "arrest."

Short answer is no, with some caveats. You will learn any and all applicable regs pertaining to off-duty carry once you are on board. As far as a state's CCW laws & personal weapons consult your individual state's statutes.
            If by no you are indicating that a CBP officer is not allowed to carry off duty, you are incorrect.

As for arrest it depends largely on an officer's location, there are criminal arrests and there are administrative arrests. Both meet the legal definition of "arrest" and many CBP officers do a large amount of administrative arrests.

FB

Comment

Last edited by 19USC; 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyw View Post
                what was your timeline? what position and where did you apply for?
                thanks
                I started back in April of 2009 and didn't get the until November 2010, 5 months after I switched my Geo preference from LAX/Long Beach to Southwest Border. If I would have applied to the Southwest Border before I would have been in since they were hiring a lot of people then. I think the only reason I got the BI is because I've been in the BP process since August 2010 as well and have completed all the steps.

Comment

• Originally posted by 19USC View Post
                  Ok, here we go again ****ing in someone's cornflakes over semantics. Let me clarify for you so you don't get your panties in bunch. "Arrest" in the same sense as a beat cop or detective - NO .... meaning the hook, filing a written criminal complaint, arrest report, trial prep, courtroom testimony, sentencing etc. NO, generally not. It clearly states on your creds that you have the authority to make arrests among other things. CBP OFO, administrative "arrest" and or removal - YES, routinely as a matter of fact. Detention - you bet! Are there "arrest" reports? Absolutely! Do you ever go hand on - yep. Indeed, it DOES largely depend upon an officer's location and assignment for that matter. The man asked a question, and I gave a VERY generalized answer. By NO, I simply mean not in the same sense as a city or county Patrol officer would define or look at an arrest. Not suggesting that a CBPO is in any way less of an LEO than anyone else, merely a different animal & a different function. It's actually a pretty good gig - so simmer down there bug.
                  Hmmm. I would nicely suggest that you lose the attitude. If you are truly a CBP officer and you seem to be representing yourself as such on this forum I would remind you of the memo concerning conduct on social media and the internet. It is not just semantics as you say. I -862 or an I 860 is every bit the charging document that a criminal complaint is. It just occurs in an administrative court and not a criminal court. If you don't understand these legal concepts that are very large part of your job, I believe a little bit or a lot of re-training is called for. You can be held just as accountable for that administrative arrest that you can for the criminal one including being sued. It also has the potential to take away someones freedom just as much as a criminal arrest can not to mention quite a few administrative cases have led to some very good criminal cases and seizures when handle appropriately by the officer. It is not a good practice to treat the administrative side any less than the criminal side or may find yourself on the wrong side of a court room someday.

I have done all of the things that you mentioned in connection with a criminal arrest with an administrative arrest. The only difference was substitute I -862 (NTA) instead of the criminal complaint. Guess what, I still had to hook them, I had to testify in the court room in front of an Immigration judge which included prep time with ligation. I still had to fill out that arrest report(sas) and take them to jail. The mechanics of both are the same. The difference is the venue and the outcome on the administrative side does not result in a criminal record in most cases. I have been around the block a few times in the past fourteen years I don't let my officers sell themselves short and I don't particularly like seeing another officer sell the job short either.

The job in general is evolving and has for quite sometime. There are many more opportunities to do more traditional law enforcement then ever before. As I said before it is location and assignment dependent. I have spent the last year doing exactly what you have implied that CBPO don't do. I have been writing criminal complaints, writing and executing search warrants, executing arrest warrants, doing building entries, participating in surveillance with several different Federal and local agencies. I have testified before the Grand Jury for my cases and have testified in motion to suppress hearings.

Further, in your response you implied that a CBP officer cannot carry his or her firearm off duty in most instances. I am curious as to why you answered that when that is not the case.

FB

Comment

• "Does a CPBO have the power to arrest?
                    After receiving CBP badge are we allowed to carry a concealed weapon or do we still need a permit? "Quote SDCBP

Short answers; Yes, Yes and is not required but up to you. Suggested reading at the Academy include Use of Force Policy (New as of 2011) and 18 and 19 USC. Also you will never take the PFT2 on a treadmill; inside track maybe but the treadmill is not allowed as the milage may vary per treadmill.
                    Last edited by biggdawgdaddy; 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM. Reason: Needed Quote to make sense
                    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                      I started back in April of 2009 and didn't get the until November 2010, 5 months after I switched my Geo preference from LAX/Long Beach to Southwest Border. If I would have applied to the Southwest Border before I would have been in since they were hiring a lot of people then. I think the only reason I got the BI is because I've been in the BP process since August 2010 as well and have completed all the steps.
                      ah okay. thanks for the reply. i noticed you were from orange. you going on with your process makes sense if you swtiched and or going for SB. im still waiting for LAX/LB =(
                      Tested: 8/2008
                      TO: 12/2008
                      GEO: LAX/LB
                      1st TSU: 3/5/09
                      2nd Medical: 6/1/11
                      Cleared 6/22/11
                      2nd BI: met 7/14/11
                      Cleared 9/29/11
                      2nd TSU:
                      Referred to Schedule EOD: 9/23/2011

The Call: 10/24/11
                      EOD: 11/21/11 (LAX)
                      Fletc: 12/30 - 5/7/12

PFT2: 11/4/11 (passed)
                      Final EOD letter: 11/7/11

Comment

• Originally posted by FPenCo View Post
                        I apologize if this question has already been asked, but im not able to get a clear answer. Can some one please let me know what style of pushups are expected to be performed by a female applicant during the EOD physical exam. thank you in advance.
                        There is but one style of push-up for the PFT2, no seperate standards for sex, age or any other factor. Back straight, only thing touching the ground is your hands and your toes.
                        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

Last edited by 19USC; 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
                            Wrong.

I'll disagree with you.

More importantly, CBP disagrees with you. They are quite adamant that in order to carry a firearm under the provisions of authority granted by your credentials you must carry your authorized firearm.

As important, the AG and DOJ agrees with CBP in that CBP( or any agency) can regulate it's internal policies without regard to LEOSA. See below:

"It is important to note that the Act does not supersede existing agency regulations or policies limiting, restricting, conditioning, or otherwise affecting the carrying of concealed firearms. The Act does preempt and supersede inconsistent state laws and local ordinances, whether criminal or civil. It does not prohibit any component from taking any appropriate disciplinary action for any violation of its existing regulations or policies."

www.fop.net/legislative/agmemo013120053.pdf

Carriage of a non-authorized firearm under the provisions of the authority of agency credentials, even if legal under LEOSA, may subject an individual to internal disciplinary action by their agency...up to and including removal. Officers/Agents who wish to carry a firearm not authorized by the agency for carry should follow local regulations/laws for carrying of such firearms as a private citizen.

Realistically at best, the agency will claim no civil/legal responsibility for any incident involving an unauthorized and out-of-policy firearm. At worst, it'll cost the job.
                            Last edited by merlin436; 05-10-2011, 01:32 AM. Reason: highlighting

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              I'll disagree with you..
                              More importantly, CBP disagrees with you. They are quite adamant that in order to carry a firearm under the provisions of authority granted by your credentials you must carry your authorized firearm.

As important, the DOJ agrees with CBP in that CBP( or any agency) can regulate it's internal policies without regard to LEOSA. See below:

"It is important to note that the Act does not supersede existing agency regulations or policies limiting, restricting, conditioning, or otherwise affecting the carrying of concealed firearms. The Act does preempt and supersede inconsistent state laws and local ordinances, whether criminal or civil. It does not prohibit any component from taking any appropriate disciplinary action for any violation of its existing regulations or policies."

www.fop.net/legislative/agmemo013120053.pdf

Carriage of a non-authorized firearm under the provisions of the authority of agency credentials, even if legal under LEOSA, may subject an individual to internal disciplinary action by their agency...up to and including removal. Officers/Agents who wish to carry a firearm not authorized by the agency for carry should follow local regulations/laws for carrying of such firearms as a private citizen.

Realistically at best, the agency will claim no civil/legal responsibility for any incident involving an unauthorized and out-of-policy firearm. At worst, it'll cost the job.
                              I was right then, thanks Merlin

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGunn View Post
                                I was right then, thanks Merlin
                                Well...my opinion is you were largely right.

LEOSA offers limited immunity from some state/local laws regarding carriage of firearms. Notice that LEOSA does not provide immunity from federal law/regulation. In short, one can carry most anything he want on his creds and, most likely, avoid being charged state-wise for such carriage.

LEOSA offers no one immunity from CBP(or any agency) policies/discipline with regards to firearms carriage. In short, the agency might gut someone like a fish for violating internal policies while carrying under LEOSA.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7713 users online. 368 members and 7345 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X