Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean THE BEST location

Comment

• I tested in Dec 2010 and scored 93 without Vet points. My GEO is SW border. I am 26 and just got my second child. For people who know what I am talking about, it's really tough on me now. I can barely make 1 push up/Sit up. I am fine with running but I am not fit at all. I don't know how to work on this. I am trying everyday but I am afraid that I won't be ready if they call me now. What can I do if I f I get the offer and not ready? Please advice!Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

• Kat01,

Start with walking at a brisk pace for 20 - 40 minutes every day. See your Doctor and discuss your desire and make sure you are physically A.O.K. Ask yourself do you really want this job.
        Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
        Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Glad I wasnt the only one. I spoke with them today and they said I can see my local physician for it!

Hope to get this done ASAP and then on to the next hurdle lol

Whats your timeline like LIL VET WIFE? You said you work for BP? You know if you are a current BPA you can lateral transfer over to officer with no hassle ive been told, it just cant be from officer to BPA. Go figure.
          CBPO
          Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
          TO: 2/2011
          Medical: 3/22/2011
          PT Test: 3/22/2011
          VBT: 3/2011
          Background: 3/2011
          Drug Test: 4/2011
          Referred to TSU: 5/2011
          PT Test 2: TBD
          FLETC: Good Question lol
          CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
          Info Session 9/2009
          Interview 3/2010
          COE 5/2010
          Medical 5/2010
          Fit/Background 7/2010
          All clear as of 11/2010
          FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

• Hi first time poster from San Francisco. Passed the test in San Diego last fall got my NORS (1/25/11) and got a email today(4/16/11) from NHC DEU asking to change preference to southern location like Arizona, Texas Laredo...California Southwest Border. I initially put down San Francisco SFO as first choice.

My question to all of you guys is...since they have such a higher demand for officers, and it seems nobody wants to go down there, I was thinking maybe change my Geographical location to California Southwest, get in early then transfer back to SFO after couple years. Is this possible?? Does anybody recommend working down there? I applied for the customs officers position, so I'm wondering if this is a border patrol position as opposed to working customs at a port of entry?

12/10/10 San Diego tested
            1/25/11 Nors passed
            Last edited by SFdude; 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM.
            CBP exam in SD 12/15/10
            NOR passed 1/25/11
            Changed GEO to SWB 6/25/11
            Fingerprint cards 11/12/11
            PFT1 12/15/11
            VBT/SI 1/26/12
            VBT/SI result eligible 1/31/12
            LASIK surgery 1/31/12
            Met BI investigator 3/13/12
            Qualifications cleared 5/11/12
            Drug test 7/18/12

Comment

• Originally posted by kat01 View Post
              I tested in Dec 2010 and scored 93 without Vet points. My GEO is SW border. I am 26 and just got my second child. For people who know what I am talking about, it's really tough on me now. I can barely make 1 push up/Sit up. I am fine with running but I am not fit at all. I don't know how to work on this. I am trying everyday but I am afraid that I won't be ready if they call me now. What can I do if I f I get the offer and not ready? Please advice!Thanks in advance for your help
              Well if they call you now you will fail and be dropped from consideration. You say you are working on this everyday and ill take you at your word for this. But apparently you are not making any progress. So I suggest working out with a parter, someone who is in much better shape than you. If you cant find someone you know, You should hire someone. Also you can get some boot camp style workout DVDs that you can do at home.

Also your test is still new. Even with this new movement on hires there are still people that have 07, 08, and 09 TOs that have not been hired yet.
              CBPO
              TO - 05/08 JFK
              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• SFDUDE,

I would switch to the SWB. It seem as if they are going to speed up hiring and have a lot more classes soon since they just got additional funding hence that email you received.

I have been told that the BPA and CBPO are treated as one down there. You work together on things and can go out on patrols. Just remember you will be doing quite a bit of immigration work.
                CBPO
                CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                Info Session 9/2009
                Interview 3/2010
                COE 5/2010
                Medical 5/2010
                Fit/Background 7/2010
                All clear as of 11/2010

Comment

• I cant tell you about the working conditions on the SWB. But I do know that transfers are not guaranteed and even when you are eligible it can be very hard because you must swap with someone who wants to go to your port and both ports must approve. You took the test for CBPO so its a CBPO position.
                  CBPO
                  TO - 05/08 JFK
                  EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Swb

Ok, I'm going to tell you guys right now.... DO NOT take choosing SWB lightly. I have seen countless families fall apart because agents are not from around here. It seems that divorce rates are sky high for people from up north once they come here. You might have to leave your family where you are at, or your spouse/kids might hate it here. It can be a huge cultural shock. If you are stuck in some of the smaller cities there is NOTHING out here lol. Those of you guys from NY will probably freak out. I suggest if you can come spend a week in one of the highest traffic cities in whatever state you are considering. I don't want to discourage anyone, but I would hate to see anyone take the switch in hopes of transferring in a couple of years and not ending up happy, when instead they could have just waited the couple of years to be where they truly want to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                      I cant tell you about the working conditions on the SWB. But I do know that transfers are not guaranteed and even when you are eligible it can be very hard because you must swap with someone who wants to go to your port and both ports must approve. You took the test for CBPO so its a CBPO position.
                      The working conditiions are harsh, its very hot (at least for texas) and the illegal activity is very violent nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
                        SFDUDE,

I would switch to the SWB. It seem as if they are going to speed up hiring and have a lot more classes soon since they just got additional funding hence that email you received.

I have been told that the BPA and CBPO are treated as one down there. You work together on things and can go out on patrols. Just remember you will be doing quite a bit of immigration work.
                        keep in mind Border patrol has no law enforcement authority in the state of tx.... they don't really work together here.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
                          Glad I wasnt the only one. I spoke with them today and they said I can see my local physician for it!

Hope to get this done ASAP and then on to the next hurdle lol

Whats your timeline like LIL VET WIFE? You said you work for BP? You know if you are a current BPA you can lateral transfer over to officer with no hassle ive been told, it just cant be from officer to BPA. Go figure.
                          omg, I can't remember exact dates but I do know it took me about 6 to 7 months for the whole process, which surprises me when I read posts that say they have waited for years. I joined in 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by LIL_VET_WIFE View Post
                            Ok, I'm going to tell you guys right now.... DO NOT take choosing SWB lightly. I have seen countless families fall apart because agents are not from around here. It seems that divorce rates are sky high for people from up north once they come here. You might have to leave your family where you are at, or your spouse/kids might hate it here. It can be a huge cultural shock. If you are stuck in some of the smaller cities there is NOTHING out here lol. Those of you guys from NY will probably freak out. I suggest if you can come spend a week in one of the highest traffic cities in whatever state you are considering. I don't want to discourage anyone, but I would hate to see anyone take the switch in hopes of transferring in a couple of years and not ending up happy, when instead they could have just waited the couple of years to be where they truly want to be.
                            +1 thats why I have kept my geo loc in NY and will wait. Don't change to the SWB unless you want to work there for a very long time. You will need to be a gs12 the new journeyman level prior to a transfer that will be at least 5 years for many of you.

There is also no easy lateral program to go from BPA to CBPO. Im sure Lil vet wife can tell you that. And if anyone was wondering there is no lateral at all from any position to a CBPO position. You must take the test when available and complete all the steps for hire

I was at a meeting yesterday where a TSA director was telling a bunch of people that working for the TSA will give you a preference for Customs. There is no transfer, no lateral, no preference on an open entry level announcement (except vets pref)
                            CBPO
                            TO - 05/08 JFK
                            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                              There is also no easy lateral program to go from BPA to CBPO. Im sure Lil vet wife can tell you that. And if anyone was wondering there is no lateral at all from any position to a CBPO position. You must take the test when available and complete all the steps for hire
                              Yes there is a lateral transfer program from BPA to CBPO. I have seen it done. Contact your local HR contact if you are already employed by CBP. Merlin, can you chime in please?

I work for CBP!
                              Last edited by BiggyWannaBGman; 04-15-2011, 09:38 PM.
                              CBPO
                              CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                              Info Session 9/2009
                              Interview 3/2010
                              COE 5/2010
                              Medical 5/2010
                              Fit/Background 7/2010
                              All clear as of 11/2010

Comment

• Originally posted by kat01 View Post
                                I tested in Dec 2010 and scored 93 without Vet points. My GEO is SW border. I am 26 and just got my second child. For people who know what I am talking about, it's really tough on me now. I can barely make 1 push up/Sit up. I am fine with running but I am not fit at all. I don't know how to work on this. I am trying everyday but I am afraid that I won't be ready if they call me now. What can I do if I f I get the offer and not ready? Please advice!Thanks in advance for your help
                                Your test is very recent, at this point you should be working on your PU's and SU's, if this is where you are failing. There is no other way to gain reps than by simply doing them every day... It'll take 5 minutes of your day to do them, and remember to go 1 higher when you get used to doing them (maybe once a week). If you put the time and effort into it you will get it done.
                                You have time if you start NOW, even if you get a TO next month, I don't think you will have to do PU's and SU's on your PFT1... If you do the reps will not be that high for you to pass, but you have to start pushing yourself NOW!
                                CBPO
                                Written: 08/29/2007
                                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11520 users online. 435 members and 11085 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X