Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I've been waiting for a while now. Actually, this is the second time I started the process. In September 2007 I applied for CBPO and was scheduled a VBT and medical for December 2007. I then decided that I wanted to stay as a local police officer and told the Minneapolis hiring center that I was not interested for this position.

Turns out that one of my co-workers who applied with me in September left for the acadamy in April 2008. If I had continued with the hiring process then I would probably be at the academy already, I know I was more qualified!!!

Just a piece of advice for those who are not sure if they want to be a CPBO officer or border patrol agent, or who are not sure if they want to leave their local law enforcement career. Continue with the hiring process even if at the time you are not sure about really going. You mind change your mind just like I did!

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
      Now that CBPO is covered, will officers being jumping ship as often?

Now there's a question.

My take:

Coverage will influence a few more 'dinosaurs' to hang around a bit longer , since their retirement payout will increase. Coverage will also influence the 38-45 crowd to hang around, as they're now looking at 20 year retirement instead of 30.

On the other hand, coverage will make it that much easier for the under 37 crowd to leave.

For most CBPO's though, I don't think it'll change all that much. It is only a better retirement, after all. IMO, most CBPO's motivated into jumping ship will contine to do so. The new coverage alone won't change the lacklustre management, restrictive work policies, nepotism, cronyism, sex-for-advancement, etc. within the agency. It's not going to give people meaningful transfer rights, bidding/rotation for work assignments, uniform access to OT or address any of the other issues that prod CBPO's out the door.

Coverage is a great step forward...but only one step forward for this agency. There's plenty of room for further improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        Now there's a question.

My take:

Coverage will influence a few more 'dinosaurs' to hang around a bit longer , since their retirement payout will increase. Coverage will also influence the 38-45 crowd to hang around, as they're now looking at 20 year retirement instead of 30.

On the other hand, coverage will make it that much easier for the under 37 crowd to leave.

For most CBPO's though, I don't think it'll change all that much. It is only a better retirement, after all. IMO, most CBPO's motivated into jumping ship will contine to do so. The new coverage alone won't change the lacklustre management, restrictive work policies, nepotism, cronyism, sex-for-advancement, etc. within the agency. It's not going to give people meaningful transfer rights, bidding/rotation for work assignments, uniform access to OT or address any of the other issues that prod CBPO's out the door.

Coverage is a great step forward...but only one step forward for this agency. There's plenty of room for further improvement.
        +100 Excellent post and oh so true.
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
          As for the training, I think everyone has the same Basic Training at FLETC, the only difference would be in the classroom where you go into details for your Program (CBPO). Anyone who attended feel free to correct me on this one...
          Good Luck
          Not even close...

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            Now there's a question.

My take:

That certainly doesn't make me really happy about what I've got in store for me. Pretty much wherever you go has some problems so I guess I'll have to suck it up if I want to go G. We'll see what Blaine has in store for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
              Pretty much wherever you go has some problems so I guess I'll have to suck it up if I want to go G.
              That pretty much says it.

Understand CBP stretches across the interior/exterior of the nation, in 300+ ports and into several different countries. You name it, and probably CBP has it somewhere in some corner. There are 3 men ports and ports of 500+. City ports and extremely rural ports. Anything that's true in one location may not exist in another.

For the most part, in most places...it is what it is. Neither all that good or all that bad. People who are flexible and adaptable learn to live within it and even enjoy it. Those who are unwilling/unable to adjust, those who seek rewards beyond what CBP offers...they're mostly the ones unhappy and looking to bolt elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabbanelli911 View Post
                For those of you that already went through the academy, do they let you use a recorder in class? What kind of classes are they? What about defensive tactics? When I went to the law enforcement academy to be a police officer, red men KILLED us!!! What are defensive tactics like in FLETC for a cbp officer?
                Most of the specifics you ask for is controlled information. As far as the classes go you can not use a tape recorder, camera or any other form of electronic recording devices. It is all what you write down, highlight, or remember. If you have made it through a police academy you Can expect similar training at FLETC. Some will be tougher some will be much easier. Many of the physical training department classes are highly dependent on the class. Our CBPO class was divided into two, as are all CBPO classes. My side was well motivated and did what we were told. We had it a bit easier than the other side, who were always on the ground doing push-ups, flutter kicks, or some other imaginative form of exercise designed to improve motivation.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
                  That certainly doesn't make me really happy about what I've got in store for me. Pretty much wherever you go has some problems so I guess I'll have to suck it up if I want to go G. We'll see what Blaine has in store for me.
                  I've talked to a few Blaine officers and it sounds like a really good gig up there. A lot of them transfer out at some point just to get a slower port to kick back at but none of them had to much to complain about. The weather isn't bad in the winter compared to most if not all other northern border ports and you have B-Ham right down the road and Seattle is a day trip. Also Area Port of Seattle (which Blaine falls into) is ginormous so you have more transfer chances then if you were going to a whole nother area.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                      So a lot of people are telling me, "20 year retirement? thats awesome..."

Well it doesn't sound like anything special to me. What advantage would I have to leaving at age 48 compared to if I stayed for 29 years (age 57)? Wouldn't I be better off staying until max time?

What if I retire when I'm 48, can I apply for a dinosaur LE job at the federal court and collect two salaries? I really hope I have sons and not daughters...
                      I am curious too. If one were to retire after their 20 years, I would assume they couldn't work for the Fed and still collect a retirement. But, could they get a local or state job that does have an age requirement. Could you collect a pension and still work? Or once you retire you retire...

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                        So a lot of people are telling me, "20 year retirement? thats awesome..."

Well it doesn't sound like anything special to me. What advantage would I have to leaving at age 48 compared to if I stayed for 29 years (age 57)? Wouldn't I be better off staying until max time?

What if I retire when I'm 48, can I apply for a dinosaur LE job at the federal court and collect two salaries? I really hope I have sons and not daughters...
                        You're off a little. The 12(d) retirement requires a person to be 50 years old and serve 20 years OR serve 25 years for retirement. The equation for figuring 12(d) retirement is ((1.7%*20 years) + (1%*each year over 20)) * the average of your high three years. Where this is important is say you still want to work at 50 years old. You could retire and earn about 35% of your paycheck from retirement in addition to the paycheck from your new job. As long as your new paycheck is about 65% of your three year high average you will make out better retiring.

Personally if all my debt plans work out (about a 90% chance they will), I'm doing the 20 and out option. The annuity will be enough to live comfortably on and the TSP will be nothing but lifestyle and fun.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Can anyone starting FLETC this week confirm whether the 1.5 mile time has changed since July 6 has come?
                          CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• Don't know for sure but I was told that it dropped to 14 min starting july 6
                            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                              I am curious too. If one were to retire after their 20 years, I would assume they couldn't work for the Fed and still collect a retirement. But, could they get a local or state job that does have an age requirement. Could you collect a pension and still work? Or once you retire you retire...
                              Way off. There are alot of double dippers out there. Talk to a few of the SAs on O.com.
                              Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Today I received a call from one of the investigators doing my backgroud check. He told me that he needed to verify the phone number and address from two of my co-workers who were in my unit when I was in the U.S. Army in Fort Hood, TX.

I gave him this information and asked him when I would be interviewed. He told me that he first had to check on this references and that somebody would call me at a later date. He also told me that he did not know the status of my background check.

Has anybody been contacted by an investigator regarding your background check without being told that you have an interview date? Is this a set back or does this mean that I'm half way through with the background check?

Waiting game!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11082 users online. 442 members and 10640 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X