300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Collapse7 View Post
    Good to know, I would dread taking a job with the TSA just to stop the clock.
    Why? It's an entrance into the feds and if you work for TSA for one year, you gain status to apply internally to any job that you're qualified for with any other agency. That is the TRUE value of this job.
    Last edited by AnonymousPerson; 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM.
    CBP Officer
    Initial Application: 11/16/10
    Test Exam: 12/13/10
    Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
    New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
    Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
    Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

• As someone who currently works for TSA, I think it's an excellent way of getting your foot in the door. It is definitely true that there is unfortunately a stigma associated with TSA however in just over a year of being with the agency, I have met many great individuals in and outside the agency, and have developed a passion for law enforcement. Prior to working for TSA I led a very technical career and after enduring layoffs, corporate closures and dealing with the threat of layoffs while working for the state decided to take a position with TSA as a way of getting my foot in the federal door. I shuttered at the thought of taking the position but originally considered it a necessary evil, especially at a time when the economy had tanked and jobs were scarce. While I agree that the job itself is very low speed for the most part, I have taken part in details that included FAMs, CBP, and USSS and continually find ways to challenge myself at work. Right now I am pursuing a spot as a CBPO and would never even had considered a career in law enforcement were it not for TSA. It may not stop the clock for you however, it may be a better alternative to some other non-fed options that exist.

Each and every one of you are entitled to your own opinion, and god knows there are plenty of opinions regarding TSA, especially within this forum. I wish more people would give the agency a chance especially as a means for getting acquainted with the federal system.

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
        As someone who currently works for TSA, I think it's an excellent way of getting your foot in the door. It is definitely true that there is unfortunately a stigma associated with TSA however in just over a year of being with the agency, I have met many great individuals in and outside the agency, and have developed a passion for law enforcement. Prior to working for TSA I led a very technical career and after enduring layoffs, corporate closures and dealing with the threat of layoffs while working for the state decided to take a position with TSA as a way of getting my foot in the federal door. I shuttered at the thought of taking the position but originally considered it a necessary evil, especially at a time when the economy had tanked and jobs were scarce. While I agree that the job itself is very low speed for the most part, I have taken part in details that included FAMs, CBP, and USSS and continually find ways to challenge myself at work. Right now I am pursuing a spot as a CBPO and would never even had considered a career in law enforcement were it not for TSA. It may not stop the clock for you however, it may be a better alternative to some other non-fed options that exist.

Each and every one of you are entitled to your own opinion, and god knows there are plenty of opinions regarding TSA, especially within this forum. I wish more people would give the agency a chance especially as a means for getting acquainted with the federal system.
        I think TSA is a fine job, no one should badmouth it. Its not FLE doing high speed stuff, but its a govt job nonetheless. Its better than sitting in some corporate office waiting for a TO for a FLE job we tested for or poly, or medical call like a lot of us are doing. Or sitting around unemployed.

Comment

• http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1297696999494.shtm

CBP Law Enforcement: The FY 2012 Budget supports 21,370 Border Patrol agents and 21,186 CBP officers at our ports of entry who work 24/7 with state, local, and federal law enforcement in targeting illicit networks trafficking in people, drugs, illegal weapons, and money. This reflects the largest deployment of law enforcement officers to the front line in the agency’s history. The request annualizes positions supported by the FY 2010 Emergency Border Security Supplemental for the Southwest Border, including 1,000 Border Patrol agents and 250 CBP officers. Funding is provided to support 300 new CBP officers above the FY 2011 Budget and additional canine assets to support Port of Entry operations. The request supports the mobile response surge teams created with the Supplemental funding to respond rapidly to emergent situations without depleting Border Patrol staffing from other locations.

Comment

• Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
            hello everyone, i got a quick question has anyone done a port swap body for body, im currently in el paso tx and am looking to get back to the east coast as im from ny. i currently talking to one officer in az who wants to come to el paso and he knows a officer in maryland who wants his spot in az. so i would go to maryland. but my question is how do i go about this and more or less how long does something like this take?? thanks in advance
            Though I do not have personal experience with swaps, I have seen several happen at my port. I have heard it can take a few weeks to a few months. It all depends on your ports PD and the readiness of the other officers to move out of state simultaniously. To get your request to more people, try posting it on TECS "daily news". You will probably need a sup to do it for you though.
            Good luck, I hope to do one soon myself. That being said, anyone in Portland or Seattle want to come to Detroit let me know!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
              Anyone here in TSU 2.0 + who had their drug test expire recently get scheduled to re-test? The last person to receive "the call" here for the southwest border had her drug test done the prior week. If applicants with non-border POEs are receiving their calls to re-test, that theory goes out the window.
              Today marks the fourth straight person on this forum or Delphi who received the call to EOD a week after retaking their expired drug test. Today's applicant has a northern border preference. Anyone else taken out of TSU with a pending drug test and has already requalified? If so, it looks like what MHC stated may be true: pending drug tests will only be redone for those to receive their call to EOD.

Bolts56: Any news yet since your drug test? If not, perhaps the test was to fulfill your application with the Border Patrol.

Comment

Bolts56: Any news yet since your drug test? If not, perhaps the test was to fulfill your application with the Border Patrol.
                No news and I agree that it was probably the BP that requested it.

EDIT: I checked my voice-mail from last week and the contractor said the drug test was for "Homeland Security" and my copy of the drug test paperwork shows that it is being sent to Customs and Border Protection in Minneapolis where all BPA and CBPO paperwork goes. No clarification, but thought I'd share...
                Last edited by Bolts56; 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Today marks the fourth straight person on this forum or Delphi who received the call to EOD a week after retaking their expired drug test. Today's applicant has a northern border preference. Anyone else taken out of TSU with a pending drug test and has already requalified? If so, it looks like what MHC stated may be true: pending drug tests will only be redone for those to receive their call to EOD.
                  This is true for an Aggie who had his drug test updated a week or two ago... got his EOD today (not southern border). My case also supports this since my drug test expired the same time his did, but I did not get an update request (nor a call, obviously).

Comment

• I have my interview tomorrow.

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• Just received an unsolicited email from MCH in regards to the FCIP:

Dear Applicant,

As you have expressed interest in becoming a CBP employee we feel a responsibility to keep you informed of changes. As you may remember from the vacancy announcement, we made reference to the FCIP. This program recently changed.

We wanted to let you know this change does not affect your progress in any way. The only change to the program is a technical one that would require us to provide for a one-year probationary period rather than the published two-year probationary period required by the FCIP. This would in no way reduce the training and learning opportunities you will experience as a new employee of CBP.

Anyone else?

Comment

• Got the same Email -

"Dear Applicant
                          As you expressed interest to become a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) employee we feel a responsibility to keep you informed of changes. As you may remember from the vacancy announcement, we made reference to the Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP). This program recently changed.

We wanted to let you know that this change does not affect your progress in anyway. The only change to the program is a technical one that would require us to provide for a one-year probationary period rather than the published two-year probationary period required under the FCIP. This would in no way reduce the training and learning opportunities you will experience as a new employee of CBP.

We thank you for your interest and if you have any questions, please call the Minneapolis Hiring Center at"
                          Last edited by Rshen11; 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM.
                          CBPO
                          GEO - NY/JFK
                          TO - 01/29/09
                          TSU - 05/05/09

Background cleared on 6/10/09
                          Expired 6/10/11
                          Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

Comment

• Pretty sure everyone in TSU got it..
                            CBPO
                            GEO - NY/JFK
                            TO - 01/29/09
                            TSU - 05/05/09

Background cleared on 6/10/09
                            Expired 6/10/11
                            Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

Comment

• I got the same email. The best news I've gotten this year!
                              TO: 4/09/09
                              Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                              TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingny View Post
                                Well if I am reading this email correctly WE ARE NOT GETTING PURGED due to FCIP change.
                                The only place a purge was suggested was in the pages of this forum by folks who did not have enough information to even begin speculating. The application process for this job is a long drawn out affair. It always has been except for the period following the merge when there was a hiring frenzy. The agency realized that hiring that way was an error. Too many unsuitable applicants slipped through the cracks and the agency could not sustain the training cycle at an acceptable level as a result new employees were not performing at an acceptable level. While I understand the desire to know as much information as possible, you have to remember in this forum the vast majority of folks here are applicants just like you and really don't have any better info than you. The Federal process does not work like the hiring process for local or state law enforcement. The agency also owes you nothing it terms of the hiring process. You chose to continue in the process or to exercise other options as they present themselves.

FB

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12693 users online. 478 members and 12215 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X