Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I provided this info on another forum and I figured it would be just as helpful on this as well. With regards to the written exam, I have some words of advice if this is a job you really want and you don’t have much time.

SHOW UP EARLY!!!

This might be the only opportunity you have to get your foot in the door with CBP and some guys are dropping the ball. In part due to themselves but also in part to OPM. They are over booking the testing rooms. Maybe not all of them but I’ve heard of this happing at several places including my location. A lot of TSA officers. Some were professional and well mannered while others were loud and obnoxious. My test started at 1000, I arrived to the room located in a hotel at 0930 and it was almost full. At 0945 we were at capacity with 75 applicants. The proctor had to close the door and told the last guy trying to get in to call MHC and reschedule. Just before 1000, this same guy came back in stating he just got off the phone with MHC and there were no more dates available. At this point, things got load and out of control at the door with another 15+ applicants behind him begging to be let in. Finally the Procter gave in and let the other 15+ with space only on the floor to sit. Talk about a fire hazard, we were packed in there and it became hot as hell. There was a lot of chatting during the test. To say the least, it was a joke and one of the worst testing experiences I’ve had. The BP test was much more organized even though the test was administered by the same agency (OPM) including the same Proctor whom was impossible to understand!!! I also feel the pool of candidates was a bit more professional at the BP test and even more so during the OB interview.

Bueno, I hope I was helpful to some of you and I wish everyone the best.

Good luck…

Comment

• That sucks, there were only 18 at my test site in Coolidge, AZ. But, the same thing, a few people were late and were let in. Plus, when we had breaks, the same ones were late returning from break. They claimed they had to drive far. So, did I and I made it there early. With GPS, Mapquest, and a little preparation (accounting for traffic and unforseen issues), its not that hard to show up on time. But, I am sure those who show a disregard for time will not make it through the entire process.

Comment

• Originally posted by chtinaz74 View Post
        That sucks, there were only 18 at my test site in Coolidge, AZ. But, the same thing, a few people were late and were let in. Plus, when we had breaks, the same ones were late returning from break. They claimed they had to drive far. So, did I and I made it there early. With GPS, Mapquest, and a little preparation (accounting for traffic and unforseen issues), its not that hard to show up on time. But, I am sure those who show a disregard for time will not make it through the entire process.
        That's good news for us. Out of the 40 or so people taking the exam there was a great deal of people that seemed to not take it serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
          Hey guys, I provided this info on another forum and I figured it would be just as helpful on this as well. With regards to the written exam, I have some words of advice if this is a job you really want and you don’t have much time.

SHOW UP EARLY!!!

This might be the only opportunity you have to get your foot in the door with CBP and some guys are dropping the ball. In part due to themselves but also in part to OPM. They are over booking the testing rooms. Maybe not all of them but I’ve heard of this happing at several places including my location. A lot of TSA officers. Some were professional and well mannered while others were loud and obnoxious. My test started at 1000, I arrived to the room located in a hotel at 0930 and it was almost full. At 0945 we were at capacity with 75 applicants. The proctor had to close the door and told the last guy trying to get in to call MHC and reschedule. Just before 1000, this same guy came back in stating he just got off the phone with MHC and there were no more dates available. At this point, things got load and out of control at the door with another 15+ applicants behind him begging to be let in. Finally the Procter gave in and let the other 15+ with space only on the floor to sit. Talk about a fire hazard, we were packed in there and it became hot as hell. There was a lot of chatting during the test. To say the least, it was a joke and one of the worst testing experiences I’ve had. The BP test was much more organized even though the test was administered by the same agency (OPM) including the same Proctor whom was impossible to understand!!! I also feel the pool of candidates was a bit more professional at the BP test and even more so during the OB interview.

Bueno, I hope I was helpful to some of you and I wish everyone the best.

Good luck…
          If I recall correctly, you took your exam in D.C.?
          CBP Officer
          Initial Application: 11/16/10
          Test Exam: 12/13/10
          Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
          New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
          Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
          Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

• Well, I just made my 5 years of federal employment. If and when CBP gets around to hiring me, is anyone familiar with how my retirement/benifits/will I be on a new 2 year probation ect ? Anyone had the experience of transfering over after 5 years or know a little bit about it? Thanks for the help, I'll put more details in a PM if anyone has some insight.
            Geo: Illinois
            Test Score: 94
            Quals: GS-7
            T.O.: 8/7/2007
            Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

• You will be on a 2 year probation as an intern no matter what agency you're coming from.

Comment

• Originally posted by chtinaz74 View Post
                That sucks, there were only 18 at my test site in Coolidge, AZ. But, the same thing, a few people were late and were let in. Plus, when we had breaks, the same ones were late returning from break. They claimed they had to drive far. So, did I and I made it there early. With GPS, Mapquest, and a little preparation (accounting for traffic and unforseen issues), its not that hard to show up on time. But, I am sure those who show a disregard for time will not make it through the entire process.
                I drove 3 hours each way to my test site and I still got there an hour and a half early. The people that got turned away at my test site....I can't say if they were irresponsible or not because I am not them.

The two candidates sitting next to me said they were upset they had to drive approximatively 30 min each way. They asked why didn't I take it in NYC...I replied "They did not offer it in Manhattan as they did for previous announcements, so here I am with you guys....because I want this" and they both laughed.

Reference coming back late...they started the test timer without many people in the room for a couple sections. A 5 minute break is 5 minutes on everyone's watch....nothing further.

If I had to guesstimate, there were 150+ candidates at my test site. We were warned there would be absolutely NO talking, cellphones, calculators, laptops, notes, ipods, etc. They said if any of the above took place you would be dismissed and have to reapply for a later announcement. Regardless of the nonindulgent forum in which they outlined the rules, they were professional and courteous at all times.

Just my $.02

Again I wish everyone luck!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Okota View Post
                  Long time lurker, first time to post here.

I passed the written test back in 2009 and had to re-test. I was under the impression that the written test was revised, making my previous score invalid. I drove from the bay area to San Diego for the 12-10-2010 test date. The first time I took the written in San Francisco there were 30 of us. Today there were 165 candidates. I was worried about what to expect in the new test. Turns out I got the same exact exam as last time; word for word, number for number.

Anyway, best wishes to everyone currently testing.
                  I tested April 2009 and registered for new exam the Tuesday it opened. On Friday morning I had the TO. So I canceled the exam I had applied too. I also changed my location back in May from Los Angeles/Long Beach to the Southwest Border. I wish I had known how the process worked and I would have applied for that sector in the first place.

Comment

• Hey eveyone...I have done everything but my second PT test, when or how long does it take to go from here to NM FLETC?
                    So who took my doggy treats????

Comment

• Originally posted by Diverdummy View Post
                      Hey eveyone...I have done everything but my second PT test, when or how long does it take to go from here to NM FLETC?
                      Surreptitious route to get here and go there. NM FLETC is for the people in green. CBPO's wear blue and go to Ga FLETC. Try the Border Patrol thread.
                      Last edited by Thek9; 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM.
                      Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                      Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyHoyle View Post
                        Well, I just made my 5 years of federal employment. If and when CBP gets around to hiring me, is anyone familiar with how my retirement/benifits/will I be on a new 2 year probation ect ? Anyone had the experience of transfering over after 5 years or know a little bit about it? Thanks for the help, I'll put more details in a PM if anyone has some insight.
                        Transferring after five years is no different than transferring before five years. Benefits stay the same no matter when you transfer. The only thing you have is once off probation you should be put into career permanent, since you have over 3 years federal civilian service.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• What's a better career? CBPO or BPA? Salary difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by Daking0fqueens View Post
                            What's a better career? CBPO or BPA? Salary difference?
                            Both jobs are tough on family and relationships but I would say your chances of getting stationed at a remote station are with BP and ultimately hard on ones close to you. Because of the number of airports, seaports and border entry points, your odds of getting stationed closer to civilization are better with Customs (Not a guarantee) making this job an “easier/better” transition for the ones close to you.

On the flip side, it sounds like there are going to be more openings with BP making it easier to get your foot in the door. I’m neither BP nor CBP but some would also say there is a bit more “action” with BP but tougher on the body. If action is what you are referring to as “better” and are healthy, then BP might also be your choice.

So to answer your question, you need to ask yourself and then post what makes any job “better” for you?

Good luck...

Comment

• Nor

Anyone who tested on the 6th get an NOR yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyHoyle View Post
                                Well, I just made my 5 years of federal employment. If and when CBP gets around to hiring me, is anyone familiar with how my retirement/benifits/will I be on a new 2 year probation ect ? Anyone had the experience of transfering over after 5 years or know a little bit about it? Thanks for the help, I'll put more details in a PM if anyone has some insight.
                                Unless you are in an 1895 position you have a two year probation. If you do not make the probation, you have re-employment rights for life. Same thing if you get a promotion to supervisor in the same series, but you can return to an non supervisory position in the same agency.

Your retirment transfers even if you only spent one day on the old job as does the leave and TSP. Retirement in a non CBPO retirment counts as the lower rate, as there is currently no provision for make-up contibutions. Hope that helps.
                                Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10241 users online. 339 members and 9902 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X