300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LSExplorer22 View Post
    There are 3 different clearance levels that CBPO's are able to achieve during the course of their careers. Classified, Secret, and Top Secret. When you are hired and during the course of your career, you will have classified. Secret would be NTC or Top Secret would be for JTTF for examples. I hope this helps.
    Actually to be correct "classified" or "law enforcement sensitive" is not a clearance at all. Only Secret and Top Secret are considered having a clearance.

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
    Actually the SSBI is used people requiring a TS or a TS/SCI. The SSBI completed for us also includes the LEO add-ons, so it is actually more in depth than the typical SSBI used for a TS or TS/SCI. The BI for secret and classified is much different and not nearly as in depth. This investigation is sufficient for a TS or TS/SCI to be issued, but no actual clearance at any level is issued for the typical new recruit. All that would be required is a bit of paperwork and we would have any clearance the G wanted to give us.
    Close. For CBP a secret and Top Secret require a SSBI. Once you have your SSBI completed you can be granted a secret and then later on get a Top Secret without needing another background conducted before your anniversary. To move from a Top Secret to a TS/SCI, or straight to a SCI clearance you will need another background conducted and this will involve many more steps in the process to be approved. TS/SCI is so completely useless unless you're working JTTF and have a cross clearance with another agency.

Most CBPO's will never have a clearance but they are gearing them all up for the ability to receive a secret or TS automatically when needed with the SSBI. There was a problem about four years ago when they wanted to move many CTR rovers and PAU members to Secret to handle NTC matters and they got held up by the long process of waiting for the clearances to pass through. They don't want these issues again so now everyone has the ability from day one to get a clearance.

Also many people get confused by the fact that going through a SSBI does not mean that they have a clearance. They may have applied for a job that required a SCI clearance and the background when through but you never took the job for some reason then this would mean you never held the clearance. They need to be debriefed and sign off on a form that is signed by a appropriate authority before the clearance goes into effect.
    Last edited by CBPO I; 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brownkiddo View Post
      This question is for you guys that previously took the exam...Do you know if you can write on the exam? Is it a scantron type exam?
      Yes.........scantron. Scrap paper is provided for the math.

skoonz

Comment

• Originally posted by sr20 View Post
        I wonder if this could or would ever happen...People that just got their TO for SWB gets EOD before any other locations that are waiting since 2008/09 after the current pipeline for SWB is done.
        Highly probable: The only money right now for hiring is from the Supplemental for the Southwest Border. No budget means no hiring for other locations not covered by that bill. TO going out after a new announcement means those locations still need candidates.
        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
          Highly probable: The only money right now for hiring is from the Supplemental for the Southwest Border. No budget means no hiring for other locations not covered by that bill. TO going out after a new announcement means those locations still need candidates.
          If that's the case, I think MHC should at least offer other applicants that are in the pipeline for other locations if they want to switch to SWB.
          TSU - 8/28/09
          TO - 3/2009
          On the job

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
            Close. For CBP a secret and Top Secret require a SSBI. Once you have your SSBI completed you can be granted a secret and then later on get a Top Secret without needing another background conducted before your anniversary. To move from a Top Secret to a TS/SCI, or straight to a SCI clearance you will need another background conducted and this will involve many more steps in the process to be approved. TS/SCI is so co-mpletely useless unless you're working JTTF and have a cross clearance with another agency.
            OPM controls the clearances. CBP conducts the investigations for the clearances with OPM's approval. OPM dictates which BI is required for which clearance. Any higher investigation can be used to grant a clearance at a lower level. If you have a TS clearance you have access to the Secret information you need to know. If you have completed an SSBI you can be given up to a TS or TS/SCI (depending on agency), that means you can also be given a clearance anywhere below TS/SCI. The SCI portion of the TS is typically just some simple add-ons, again depending on agency and project being worked on. My grandmother-in-law had an SCI for engineering work she did on an aircraft component. It was granted well after she had completed her BI for TS, and no additional add-ons were conducted, because they weren't necessary.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

If that's the case, I think MHC should at least offer other applicants that are in the pipeline for other locations if they want to switch to SWB.
              That's not a bad idea, I would probably take SWB right now if offered instead of Philly just to get on. The Officers working San Ysidro look like they are having a fun time (Border Wars haha). They already have numerous applicants waiting in TSU for SWB GEO already though, many from a 08 TO still I'm guessing.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                OPM controls the clearances. CBP conducts the investigations for the clearances with OPM's approval. OPM dictates which BI is required for which clearance. Any higher investigation can be used to grant a clearance at a lower level. If you have a TS clearance you have access to the Secret information you need to know. If you have completed an SSBI you can be given up to a TS or TS/SCI (depending on agency), that means you can also be given a clearance anywhere below TS/SCI. The SCI portion of the TS is typically just some simple add-ons, again depending on agency and project being worked on. My grandmother-in-law had an SCI for engineering work she did on an aircraft component. It was granted well after she had completed her BI for TS, and no additional add-ons were conducted, because they weren't necessary.
                Which is why I started off by saying for CBP

I know the people at HQ that handle the clearances because they would fly out with us to different locations and instruct parts of a course regarding clearances. They pretty much know the names of every person within CBP that have a SCI... there's not that many. Same goes for TS, which is practically worthless without the SCI.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG_MP View Post
                  That's not a bad idea, I would probably take SWB right now if offered instead of Philly just to get on. The Officers working San Ysidro look like they are having a fun time (Border Wars haha). They already have numerous applicants waiting in TSU for SWB GEO already though, many from a 08 TO still I'm guessing.
                  Call MHC. Tell them you want to drop your TO for PHL and enter the SB pool instead. Maybe(probably) you'll draw a SB TO. Maybe it even gets you hired on sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
                    I know the people at HQ that handle the clearances because they would fly out with us to different locations and instruct parts of a course regarding clearances. They pretty much know the names of every person within CBP that have a SCI... there's not that many. Same goes for TS, which is practically worthless without the SCI.
                    I can believe that. We really don't have the need to know much classified stuff, let alone stuff classified at TS or compartmentalized stuff. Although being in a foreign country you'd be surprised what gets classified. I've seen reports from open news sources get classified. What made those even more confusing is they were classified intel reports that involved our safety, but since they were classified we couldn't share them with our families.

Actually the SCI is only given when a person is working on a program that is so sensitive that the government doesn't want to trust "lower" level people with all of the information about the program. In effect it is a way to make it much easier to determine who is allowed to have full knowledge and whose access is limited. So, for example, if the government was developing an all new aircraft. The engineers working on the radar system, the stealth painting, or the engines each would have a TS with a different SCI. That would give them access to those specific areas of the aircraft they are designing. The people responsible for the entire program would only need a TS. I saw this a lot with NASA. The director of the Center around here had a TS and several of his engineers and workers had the SCI.
                    Last edited by kc12; 12-01-2010, 01:38 AM.
                    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      Call MHC. Tell them you want to drop your TO for PHL and enter the SB pool instead. Maybe(probably) you'll draw a SB TO. Maybe it even gets you hired on sooner.
                      I don't think that works anymore. If you have not taken the new test you would not be able to receive a TO due to the expiration of all old test results. T.O.'s are given out based on applicable results.

I am just guessing.
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK
                      TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                      PE Forms - Completed
                      Fitness - Completed
                      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                      Drug Screen - Completed
                      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                      Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                      TSU

EOD: ???
                      FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                        I don't think that works anymore. If you have not taken the new test you would not be able to receive a TO due to the expiration of all old test results. T.O.'s are given out based on applicable results.

I am just guessing.
                        I agree. I believe to be considered for the new announcement locales, you must take the new test. Thats the whole point of it.

Comment

• I never received the email that I had to take the new test. But I went ahead and reapplied for the new window the Tuesday it opened. On Friday morning I had the TO waiting in my email. So I went ahead and canceled taking the new test. By the way I'm a 4/2009 test taker. And finally after 19 months received the TO. And this is for the Southwest Border guys.

Comment

• I'm not hating for those that just got the TO for SWB, but if they get processed and EOD before other people in the pipeline for other locations just because they "need" people in SWB, I just think its a bit unfair for others that are done and being in the waiting pool for EOD since 2007. I think MHC should at least offer us an option of SWB, if the applicant declines it, then they can still wait in the pipeline for the location they applied for.
                            Last edited by sr20; 12-01-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: .............
                            TSU - 8/28/09
                            TO - 3/2009
                            On the job

Comment

I'm not hating for those that just got the TO for SWB, but if they get processed and EOD before other people in the pipeline for other locations just because they "need" people in SWB, I just think its a bit unfair for others that are done and being in the waiting pool for EOD since 2007. I think MHC should at least offer us an option of SWB, if the applicant declines it, then they can still wait in the pipeline for the location they applied for.
                              Prior to the Hiring Frenzy that began in 2007, applicants had a choice of 3 places they would consider, and they would try to accommodate you in one of those places... Since then you can only apply for 1 specific location (depending on the code), there are codes for a specific POE and there are codes for areas/regions where you can fall in to whatever opens up from a few POE's. Today, if you applied for MI and the hiring is going on in the SWB, you will not get a call to offer that position to you. When you draw a TO it is for that specific geo code you originally applied for, meaning that there should "theoretically" be spot for you once you have completed all of the steps, and because of budget/pay increases/low attrition those slots are not being able to be filled. This is just the reality of the process today, and it $ucks, but it is what it is!

The probability of those new TO's being hired before anyone else in the country is highly probable...
                              CBPO
                              Written: 08/29/2007
                              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Yoda, I like you took the test for the LA, Long Beach sector in April of 2009. Just last May I was asked via email if
                                I wanted to change my location. So I changed it to the Southwestern sector. I should have applied there from the
                                get go but I had no idea how the process worked. I recently reapplied for the new opening and got the TO three
                                days later. So I canceled to take the news exam. So I guess my old exam still worked for this one. Go figure. Does
                                anyone know how many positions CBPO is looking to fill? And if the new positions are to cover attrition or to expand?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10151 users online. 444 members and 9707 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X