Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
    ..... While at FLETC I felt bad because I would see obese trainees in their civilian clothing and immediately guess they were in training for CBPO. Most were, but a very few were there for other agencies.
    Remember, if you're not "fat" in FLETC, wait till you get put in a booth.

    "Fat" has nothing to do with the training or graduating. It's the mellon on your shoulders that thrives to succeed, not other peoples or your "Fat".

    What I'm trying to say is "Fat" is "Other Peoples Problem". I know "Fat" people that are faster, stronger, & wiser than "Skinny" people. That's just my two cents.

    Ah heck, here's another two cents: Judging other people by their looks is just plain wrong.

    People may smile, laugh or agree with your opinions of other people, but, deep down inside, they see you in a whole new light. Man up. You'll be meeting alot of different people as a CBP Officer. Don't go upon looks. Better to go upon the actions of others....like yourself.

    "I feel bad"....give me a break.

    Comment


    • ..........
      Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:13 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
        Regardless if skinny or gigantic, is there some sort of final obstacle course that we must do? (pushups,situps,etc.)?
        Just the final PEB, which is the same as the initial PEB.

        To the rest, obviously we are going to disagree. I know we are not a typical LE job, but the first thing a person sees isn't how smart or skillful a person is. The first thing they see is whether an officer's belly hangs over their belt line. I will agree there were other agencies that had hefty people, but many of those I did see were thick. Yes they were fat, but many looked like they had a decent amount of muscle tone to hold their weight, giving them a rectangular appearance. Most of the CBPO's I observed who were obese had the typical round shape of someone without a lot of muscle tone. I'm not saying there were a lot of obese people there just that the majority of the obese ones seemed to be there as a CBPO trainee. I don't look a people to judge, but look at your fellow officer's from the point of the people they deal with. I am just pointing out that the agency could improve it's image by requiring the officers to maintain some type of body fat level rather than requiring the officers to run faster or not allowing the officers to have facial hair.

        OSI didn't have any large people either.
        Last edited by kc12; 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

        For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
          Just the final PEB, which is the same as the initial PEB.

          To the rest, obviously we are going to disagree. I know we are not a typical LE job, but the first thing a person sees isn't how smart or skillful a person is. The first thing they see is whether an officer's belly hangs over their belt line. I will agree there were other agencies that had hefty people, but many of those I did see were thick. Yes they were fat, but many looked like they had a decent amount of muscle tone to hold their weight, giving them a rectangular appearance. Most of the CBPO's I observed who were obese had the typical round shape of someone without a lot of muscle tone. I'm not saying there were a lot of obese people there just that the majority of the obese ones seemed to be there as a CBPO trainee. I don't look a people to judge, but look at your fellow officer's from the point of the people they deal with. I am just pointing out that the agency could improve it's image by requiring the officers to maintain some type of body fat level rather than requiring the officers to run faster or not allowing the officers to have facial hair.

          OSI didn't have any large people either.

          I would have to agree. Look, in any other career size might not matter that much but as a LEO you have to be in better shape. I'm so tired of people saying, "I'm fat but I can out run/PT skinny people." Obviously you aren't fat then. Like KC12 said there is a huge difference between a fat sloppy person who can't walk up the stairs without breaking out in a sweat and breathing too hard and someone who is barrel chested and has a layer of fat over muscle who runs several times a week.

          If you let yourself go you are a liability to your buddies and to the people you are sworn to protect. If my opinion hurts your feelings then you probably need to lose some freaking weight. It seems cut and dry to me, i judge by strength and stamina as opposed to size, but usually size is a pretty good indicator of your abilities. My last point is that if you're the smartest guy in the room and have a great head on your shoulders, what is that going to help when your getting your as$ whipped by somebody because you're too winded to continue to fight?
          I and the public know
          What all schoolchildren learn,
          Those to whom evil is done
          Do evil in return.

          -W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

          Comment


          • Fat LEOs

            Noted. (Points taken).

            We are not LEO's as of July 6, 2008, we fall under LEO Retirement benefits only. Nothing else has changed.

            Image is what comes out of your mouth, not a figure of a man/woman. Enough said (from me).

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
              Noted. (Points taken).

              We are not LEO's as of July 6, 2008, we fall under LEO Retirement benefits only. Nothing else has changed.

              Image is what comes out of your mouth, not a figure of a man/woman. Enough said (from me).

              I definitely agree with you that there is more to a person than his or her physical appearance but when your life or your partners may sometime depend on your level of physical fitness I do think it's important. We can agree to disagree though and that is alright...stay safe out there.
              I and the public know
              What all schoolchildren learn,
              Those to whom evil is done
              Do evil in return.

              -W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

              Comment


              • CASS Updates

                I understand that CASS updates on Tues/Thurs. Is that the same for the phone CASS?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
                  Noted. (Points taken).

                  We are not LEO's as of July 6, 2008, we fall under LEO Retirement benefits only. Nothing else has changed.

                  Image is what comes out of your mouth, not a figure of a man/woman. Enough said (from me).

                  We've always been LEO's, we just haven't had the retirement.

                  Technically, we won't have it on 07/06 either. We'll have 'enhanced CBPO retirement'...or what ever they're calling it now. We weren't classified as LEO's under 12D/6C, but were penciled in as equivalents.

                  12D:

                  Sec. 8412. Immediate retirement

                  -STATUTE-

                  (a) An employee or Member who is separated from the service after attaining the applicable minimum retirement age under subsection

                  (h) and completing 30 years of service is entitled to an annuity.

                  (b) An employee or Member who is separated from the service after becoming 60 years of age and completing 20 years of service is entitled to an annuity.

                  (c) An employee or Member who is separated from the service after becoming 62 years of age and completing 5 years of service is entitled to an annuity.

                  (d) An employee who is separated from the service, except by removal for cause on charges of misconduct or delinquency -

                  (1) after completing 25 years of service as a law enforcement officer, member of the Capitol Police or Supreme Court Police, firefighter, nuclear materials courier, Customs and Border Protection Officer, or any combination of such service totaling at least 25 years, or (2) after becoming 50 years of age and completing 20 years of service as a law enforcement officer, member of the Capitol Police or Supreme Court Police, firefighter, nuclear materials courier, or Customs and Border Protection Officer or any combination of such service totaling at least 20 years, is entitled to an annuity.


                  Notice under 12D Capitol police and Supreme Court Police are not ''LEO's" for retirement purposes either.

                  Comment


                  • So, I tried logging into CASS today just like everyday since I tested for the CBPO position back in mid-March and it actually let me in and has all things "pending." Would I be correct in assuming that a TO is enroute?
                    I and the public know
                    What all schoolchildren learn,
                    Those to whom evil is done
                    Do evil in return.

                    -W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jonm0303 View Post
                      So, I tried logging into CASS today just like everyday since I tested for the CBPO position back in mid-March and it actually let me in and has all things "pending." Would I be correct in assuming that a TO is enroute?
                      Congrats!

                      Barring a major screw-up somewhere, you should be seeing a TO coming your way.
                      Now...amp up your running!

                      Comment


                      • merlin--Looking at whether someone is covered under the federal LEO retirement system or not as the final determination as to being LE is flawed to say the least. That retirement system is controlled by politics and money, period. You have to look at the job description and requirements to determine LE status. The basics are, does the position convey the ability to make arrests, enforce laws, issues summons, be armed, etc. Barring getting into the weeds, a better indicator would be coverage under HR 218. That law does not cost the government any money and indicates the requirements to be considered LE for off duty concealed carry purposes.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                        For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                        Comment


                        • [QUOTE=vsgonzo;1303993]Does this mean that If I transfer agencies to become an 1811 I'll keep my years in? That it all goes together?

                          Oh by the way I start Monday at the Seaport of Houston. Anyone working the sea port??[/QUOTE

                          I'm no expert on transfering, but yeah...that's what it should should mean. At the very least that's what it should mean a person hired after 07/06.

                          You're sort of a special case. You maybe 37 or over and I believe you're being hired without a mandatory retirement age. If your 37 or over now your options are very limited with regards to transfering. If you're under 37, you'll likely place yourself into mandatory retirement by transfering.

                          Comment


                          • I stationed in Yuma AZ with the marines and I'm suppose to be getting out in a year, this is after serving 7, and I'm curious as to how difficult would it be for me to join the CBP? how the job application goes and I've heard something about veterans points for the entree test? can anyone break it down for me please? it would be greatly appreciated.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                              merlin--Looking at whether someone is covered under the federal LEO retirement system or not as the final determination as to being LE is flawed to say the least. That retirement system is controlled by politics and money, period. You have to look at the job description and requirements to determine LE status. The basics are, does the position convey the ability to make arrests, enforce laws, issues summons, be armed, etc. Barring getting into the weeds, a better indicator would be coverage under HR 218. That law does not cost the government any money and indicates the requirements to be considered LE for off duty concealed carry purposes.

                              I whole heartedly agree.

                              There are however a large number of people who hold great stock in the idea that 6C/12D determines whether or not one is an LEO.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by prod View Post
                                I stationed in Yuma AZ with the marines and I'm suppose to be getting out in a year, this is after serving 7, and I'm curious as to how difficult would it be for me to join the CBP? how the job application goes and I've heard something about veterans points for the entree test? can anyone break it down for me please? it would be greatly appreciated.
                                How old are you? If you're over 40 you're going to be out of luck.
                                Are you looking to get into a Border Patrol Agent or Customs and Border Protection Officer position?

                                Go here:
                                http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

                                Border Patrol is hiring 1000's today.

                                CBPO positions will probably open for hiring on 06/30.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11876 users online. 446 members and 11430 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X