300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by miggitymack View Post
    Woo hoo, I just finished my application for CBP officer, and I am so naively excited. Anyone that's been in the process know what the turn around time is? Anyone apply during an earlier high demand time such as this one and know the time spent in the Q from application to hire?
    I applied in July 2008 for NY Other and have been in TSU (clear for hire and awaiting a start date) since May 2009. I also re-applied in april 2009 for NY JFK and after waiting a year and a half for an offer on that application I was told last week that all those applications were being scrapped and i would have to start the process all over again.

So, I'll tell you what I was told 3 years ago when I started this process. I didn't believe it then and you probably wont believe it now.
    It can take anywhere from 6 months to 5 years from test to hire. The truth is no one knows. No one on this message board knows, no one in CBP knows, the officer that you chit chatted with on your way back from vacation doesn't know, even the people in HR don't know.
    The best advice you will get is apply and then forget you applied and move on with your life. I used to hate hearing that from people on here but if I had listened to them it would have saved me a lot of unnecessary aggravation.
    Last edited by imlikeaninja; 11-16-2010, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Woo hoo, I just finished my application for CBP officer, and I am so naively excited. Anyone that's been in the process know what the turn around time is? Anyone apply during an earlier high demand time such as this one and know the time spent in the Q from application to hire?
      Just posted this on the previous page:

CBPO and BPA timeline:
      Applied both January 2009 (BPA - CA geo pref and CBPO - CA SW Border locations geo pref)
      Tested both Feb 2009
      TO - BPA 02/2009 and CBPO 04/2009
      Met BI - 06/2009
      TSU - CBPO 07/2009 and BPA 08/2009
      BI Expired - June 2010 - Resubmitted new FCRA, Fingerprint Cards, SF-86 etc.
      Polygraph - November 2010

To answer your question about the turn around time, I'll let you know if I ever get hired!

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northern10 View Post
        Thank you for your response. It was trying marijuana a few times about 7 years ago in 2003. He was 23. I was wondering if it is an automatic disqualifier.
        First things first, I am an applicant and have no idea what the disqualifiers or regulations are. But I know that the Background Investigator will ask "Have you EVER?" and your polygraph examiner will ask "Have you EVER?".

Folks, one thing that changed on the new announcement is the polygraph language:

"Polygraph: The CBPO position is a polygraph designated position. There is a high probability that you will be subject to a polygraph examination. The results will be used to determine your suitability for the position."

Expect the polygraph examination and you won't be disappointed when they call you for it.
        Last edited by Bolts56; 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM. Reason: Not exactly a champion of grammar.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyone2go View Post
          Does anyone know why certain places (like Long Beach) listed as MANY VACANCIES? I've been waiting for the call for awhile. Is hiring going to pick up or this is just a way for MHC to have a new pool of candidates for their inventory?

Anyway, good luck to everyone.
          I have seen that too. It's kind of baffling how an announcement is opened up nationwide and yet, no significant number of EOD calls have gone out yet. They're also looking at 25,000 applicants under this announcement. I'm now thinking of applying in Guam (lol).

BTW, I tested 12/08, got my TO on 01/09 and in TSU since 04/09 (updated 04/10) for LA/Long Beach.
          CBP Officer:
          TO: 01/2009 (LAX/LGB)
          EOD: 05/23/2011

Comment

The timeline extremely varies per applicant. It also depends on your geo location and their staffing levels.

The shortest timeline I've seen from this forum was 5 1/2 months. That is from the written exam to getting the call.

The longest timeline I've seen is about 5 years.
            CBP Officer:
            TO: 01/2009 (LAX/LGB)
            EOD: 05/23/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by ringo3727
              It may or may not, but if your even having to ask this question your buddy shouldn't waste his time applying for a federal job. There are a lot of us in perfect physical condition that have a clean record and never tried any drugs. The feds can afford to be picky in their selection of potential agents based on this. Good luck.
              I don't think this is a physical condition or clean record issue (he has no problems there). As you probably know, someone who has tried something at some party a long time ago can be in as perfect physical condition as you are. I just wanted to know whether something like that happening 7 or 8 years ago constitutes an automatic disqualifier. My guess is it does not, but maybe there are people here who can attes to CBP's standards.

Comment

• I know under the BPA announcement that you could apply for any of the locations but it never really mattered and you would get assigned to somewhere on the Southern border. For example. you applied for Southern CA but got hired in Arizona.

It looks like under the CBPO announcement you would only get hired for the one location you specified, correct? So if you applied for Northern WA then you could only get hired in Northern WA.

If thats the case then which location does the most hiring/has the most vacancies? I assume it's somewhere on the southern border.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolts56 View Post
                  First things first, I am an applicant and have no idea what the disqualifiers or regulations are. But I know that the Background Investigator will ask "Have you EVER?" and your polygraph examiner will ask "Have you EVER?".

Folks, one thing that changed on the new announcement is the polygraph language:

"Polygraph: The CBPO position is a polygraph designated position. There is a high probability that you will be subject to a polygraph examination. The results will be used to determine your suitability for the position."

Expect the polygraph examination and you won't be disappointed when they call you for it.
                  I agree. I think it's best to be truthful about it than hide something that happened ages ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northern10 View Post
                    Thank you for your response. It was trying marijuana a few times about 7 years ago in 2003. He was 23. I was wondering if it is an automatic disqualifier.
                    The only way of knowing for sure is to apply and disclose it. Your friend will find out one way or the other.
                    Last edited by rbakous1; 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Lol, I know guys! Hence, the subtle sarcasm and the use of "naively." Best advice I've read anywhere for fed law enforcement, came from ninja above, "apply and then forget you ever applied and move on with your life." Hahaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
                        I didn't see anything about automatic DQs with respect to prior drug use on this announcement.
                        The drug policy has never been discussed in the announcement, but it has been discussed here many times. As with any FLE position, like FBI for example, when you go through their application process it doesn't state anything other than marijuana is a DQ... but it is! The timeline from when you did it and how frequently you did it counts as well. Ideally you want 5, preferably 10 years, since you used it and your age will come into play as well... Not the same to do it when you were a teen as when you were an adult.
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Just called TSU.. They said everything is put on hold again..
                          Also. If you already have a file open in TSU you dont have to take the test again..
                          But if you want to apply for a different location.. then you infact do have to take the test again..
                          CBPO
                          GEO - NY/JFK
                          TO - 01/29/09
                          TSU - 05/05/09

Background cleared on 6/10/09
                          Expired 6/10/11
                          Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

Comment

• Hey guys do you think I will be able to qualify for the GS-5 level with close to three years of security experience and experience of about a year working in an elementary school? And prior food service jobs before that? I only ask because I am 22 years old...

Comment

• Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
                              Hey guys do you think I will be able to qualify for the GS-5 level with close to three years of security experience and experience of about a year working in an elementary school? And prior food service jobs before that? I only ask because I am 22 years old...
                              Yes.

Read the qual requirements and then write up your qualifcations to reflect whatever the current GS-05 announcement asks for.

Comment

• Saw the opening for the position begins tomorrow. Interested in taking the test but haven't heard any of the "ins" and outs" of the job. I'm pretty sick of my gig working with juveniles and interested in something different. Anyone that can provide some basics of the job? Interested in what kinda shifts CBPO's work? The one thing I heard from some of the guys as I was crossing into TJ recently was that they routinely are ordered to stay for double shifts. So they are working maybe 2-3 16's a week? This is a part of the reason I'm looking into getting out of corrections. Not feeling the mandatory overtime anymore. Also I completely understand people have to put in their time with any department. But say after you've knocked out 5+ years (or more) on the line searching cars, is there any opportunity for specialty assignments? Again I know virtually nothing about a CBPO's role, but am already testing for BPA. Any information that can be provided from those wiser than myself is greatly appreciated. . .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10781 users online. 516 members and 10265 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X