300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controlled substance

I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend. We realized that there is a question in the application regarding controlled substance use in the past. If someone has tried one of these substances more than 7 years ago, will that be a problem for CBP? Will they disqualify you in later stages? Is it worth taking the test at all? Thank you for your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
      I just applied for the Southwestern Border area. It sucks that I have to retake the test. I took it in April of 09 and other than getting my passing NOR I got nothing else. I retake the test on 12/10.
      Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
      Threw in my app as well, SW California Border Locations.
      You guys are both in for BPA as well, yes? If so you'll just have to do a few additional steps (VBT/Oral, PFT1 etc.) to have another iron in the fire.

Good luck to you.

Here is my timeline for BPA and CBPO:
      Applied both January 2009
      Tested both Feb 2009
      TO - BPA 02/2009 and CBPO 04/2009
      Met BI - 06/2009
      TSU - CBPO 07/2009 and BPA 08/2009
      BI Expired - June 2010 - Resubmitted new FCRA, Fingerprint Cards, SF-86 etc.
      Polygraph - November 2010

Comment

• Does anyone know why certain places (like Long Beach) listed as MANY VACANCIES? I've been waiting for the call for awhile. Is hiring going to pick up or this is just a way for MHC to have a new pool of candidates for their inventory?

Anyway, good luck to everyone.
        CBPO
        Written: 08/18/08
        NOR:8/22/08 LAX/LB 90
        TO: 09/23/08
        Pre-employment Forms: Completed 10/08
        Medical: Completed 12/08
        Drug Test: Completed 11/08
        Fitness: Completed 10/08 (retest 10/05/09)
        VBT: Completed 11/08
        BI: Completed (met with BI 12/10/08)
        Qualifications: Completed 2/26/09

3/2/2009 You have tentatively met the pre-employment requirements and your file is being reviewed.
        3/4/2009 Referred to Schedule EOD

Comment

• Originally posted by Northern10 View Post
          I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend. We realized that there is a question in the application regarding controlled substance use in the past. If someone has tried one of these substances more than 7 years ago, will that be a problem for CBP? Will they disqualify you in later stages? Is it worth taking the test at all? Thank you for your input.
          It depends.

What was the substance(s)?
          How long has past since last use?
          How long/often did the use occur?
          How old was your friend when he using drugs?

Smoking a couple joints 8 years back when one was 16 will be seen in an entirely different light than someone who dropped multiple hits of acid as a 21 year-old back in 1995.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            I sort of think it's a good idea.
            Weed out the unsure before they even test...
            Those willing to drive the 350 miles(US traveling) from Detroit to Buffalo are most likely committed for the long haul, as an example.

I remember back in the day before the VBT when the structured interviews were set up along the same lines. I traveled roughly 350 miles to Boston for my interview. My test location was 12 miles from my front door.

Hmm if this is the case i need to start looking out of state to take this test.

Comment

• Well, saw US Customs pulled my credit for the 3rd time in 2 years. Hopefully some progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                It depends.

What was the substance(s)?
                How long has past since last use?
                How long/often did the use occur?
                How old was your friend when he using drugs?

Smoking a couple joints 8 years back when one was 16 will be seen in an entirely different light than someone who dropped multiple hits of acid as a 21 year-old back in 1995.
                Thank you for your response. It was trying marijuana a few times about 7 years ago in 2003. He was 23. I was wondering if it is an automatic disqualifier.

Comment

• I was definitely disappointed in the testing locations this time through. I was able to test less than 10 miles from home in 2009, and again a few weeks ago for the Border Patrol. Road trip to Miami it is, December 8th. Anyone else heading that way?

Comment

• Wow,
                    Talk about slim pickins for VBI and testing locations!

Comment

• Woo hoo, I just finished my application for CBP officer, and I am so naively excited. Anyone that's been in the process know what the turn around time is? Anyone apply during an earlier high demand time such as this one and know the time spent in the Q from application to hire?

Comment

• I wonder if the whole testing location is just because its too soon to the opening period ?

Comment

• Originally posted by miggitymack View Post
                          Woo hoo, I just finished my application for CBP officer, and I am so naively excited. Anyone that's been in the process know what the turn around time is? Anyone apply during an earlier high demand time such as this one and know the time spent in the Q from application to hire?
                          WOW...
                          You might want to take a gander at my timeline... There hasn't been any "hiring" in any high numbers in 2 years, and this is certainly not a "high demand" opening. They are simply replenishing the candidate pool nationwide, most likely hiring will be done along the SW border, where around 200+ new positions were funded. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you've read some of this thread you would've seen this.
                          CBPO
                          Written: 08/29/2007
                          EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• ^^^lolllll

Comment

• Originally posted by miggitymack View Post
                              Woo hoo, I just finished my application for CBP officer, and I am so naively excited. Anyone that's been in the process know what the turn around time is? Anyone apply during an earlier high demand time such as this one and know the time spent in the Q from application to hire?

LOL! You're in for a long haul my friend. When I applied back in 08, the vacancy annoucement was extended for 1 week to attract more applicants from "critical locations" along the southwest border, which is where I live and applied for. You can see for yourself how "critical" it is for CBP to hire in those locations as well.
                              Last edited by rbakous1; 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• BTW
                                I read through it and it stated 2 years probation period... wasn't 1 year previously?
                                The other difference I can see is the added "structured interview" that goes on along with the VBT, and to qualify as GS-7 you have to have experience in pretty much what CBPO's do (mostly Enforcing Immigration Laws or screening cargo/shipments).

The OP that asked about drug usage.... anything other than marijuana is an automatic DQ, and you want at least 10 years clean... Usage after 21 will be seen in a different light than that of when you were still a teenager, you can try and test and see what happens.
                                CBPO
                                Written: 08/29/2007
                                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7606 users online. 389 members and 7217 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X