Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PL07 View Post
    They usually will match your salary if you worked for an agency within DHS. You will either start out at a 5 or 7 or a 9 if you have some kind of graduate degree. You won't be given any competitive salary over others just because you worked for TSA.

    Had a FLETC classmate with 10 yrs USPS service and a BA degree who got GS-7 step 10. From what I understand, that was the maximum allowable paygrade for a new-hire CBPO.
    ========================================


    sigpic

    I feel the need - the need for speed.

    Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

    Comment


    • I've seen people come in as 9's.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by PL07 View Post
        I've seen people come in as 9's.
        Interesting, cause entry level positions are GS-5/7 for CBPO, and in all the time that I've been in the process and on this Forum... I've never heard of them hiring people at GS-9 because they have a Masters Degree, or for any other reason for that matter. I know that they will pay match for Federal employees, but it stays within GS-5 step X or GS-7 step X.
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

        Comment


        • Originally posted by yoda View Post
          Interesting, cause entry level positions are GS-5/7 for CBPO, and in all the time that I've been in the process and on this Forum... I've never heard of them hiring people at GS-9 because they have a Masters Degree, or for any other reason for that matter. I know that they will pay match for Federal employees, but it stays within GS-5 step X or GS-7 step X.
          I'm prolly wrong but normal channels would be the GS-5/7, other than would be political appointment.
          Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
          Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

          Comment


          • Actually now a CBPO can be hired at any level from GS5 to GS11, depending on his qualification. Because the "Journeyman" grade is now a GS12, and using the OPM guidelines, a holder of a Phd with experience in the area could come in as a GS11. However, it depends upon what the announcement says is the starting grade. In otherwords what is the highest grade CBP will bring you in as off the street. Most announcements draw the line at GS7, but lately it has been pushed up to the GS9 level. There is nothing to say that it cannot go to GS11 with a new announcement.
            You cannot be hired in at the "Journeyman" level without having prior experience performing the job. If you have never performed the exact job for 52 weeks, you cannot be considered to know the job well enough to be a "Journeyman"
            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

            Comment


            • The USPS is a quasi-federal agency, at best, and not one within DHS. I'm guessing CBP has the option to elect not to pay-match them.

              Don't forget, virtually all CBPO hires are FCIP appointments. Virtually all FCIP hires who are current federal employees will see pay-matching of base pay.

              Comment


              • I just saw on the CBP website that they will be accepting applications for entry-level CBPO staring November 16. I tested on 4/2009 and still haven't heard a thing other than pass the written, why would they start a new application phase? Is there new news on hiring more?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                  I just saw on the CBP website that they will be accepting applications for entry-level CBPO staring November 16. I tested on 4/2009 and still haven't heard a thing other than pass the written, why would they start a new application phase? Is there new news on hiring more?
                  Recently the Congress passed a law authorizing approximately 200 new CBPO's at the SW border. The opening is most likely (I'm guessing) to replace those in already in the pipeline who get hired and if all of the applicants waiting for a spot for the SW border are hired or moved on, then the people from the new announcement will be hired.
                  Last edited by kc12; 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM.
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                  For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                    Actually now a CBPO can be hired at any level from GS5 to GS11, depending on his qualification. Because the "Journeyman" grade is now a GS12, and using the OPM guidelines, a holder of a Phd with experience in the area could come in as a GS11. However, it depends upon what the announcement says is the starting grade. In otherwords what is the highest grade CBP will bring you in as off the street. Most announcements draw the line at GS7, but lately it has been pushed up to the GS9 level. There is nothing to say that it cannot go to GS11 with a new announcement.
                    You cannot be hired in at the "Journeyman" level without having prior experience performing the job. If you have never performed the exact job for 52 weeks, you cannot be considered to know the job well enough to be a "Journeyman"
                    This is New News to me then... Since I applied I have yet to see an announcement from CBP for CBPO that says anything higher than GS-7, even in the qualifications section it is limited to GS-7 with High GPA and/or years of specialized experience. Who knows... this process keeps changing, and the only constant I know is that my BI is still pending and that they haven't been hiring, so we'll see with this "new" announcement.
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

                    Comment


                    • Yeah they will hire someone at GS-7/step 10 and match there pay if say for example, they had 15 yrs with TSA or something. Also Aggies who are 11's can apply under an entry level announcement and start as a CBPO as an 11.

                      Comment


                      • To get some of the best and brightest, we will now hire up to a GS9 on entry. Border Partol is doing it right now with their announcement.

                        The Aggie must have already reached GS11. Once you have a GS rate within an agency, they won't take it away for reclassification.
                        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

                        Comment


                        • Does anyone know why their opening a new application phase on November 16? Why would they do that? I took my written exam in April 2009 for the Southern California sector and have not gotten anything else other than my passing score and a six month extension I received this past May that will extend me till December before I expire.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                            Does anyone know why their opening a new application phase on November 16? Why would they do that? I took my written exam in April 2009 for the Southern California sector and have not gotten anything else other than my passing score and a six month extension I received this past May that will extend me till December before I expire.
                            Answered. Look up ^ about four or five posts.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                            For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                              Does anyone know why their opening a new application phase on November 16? Why would they do that? I took my written exam in April 2009 for the Southern California sector and have not gotten anything else other than my passing score and a six month extension I received this past May that will extend me till December before I expire.
                              My guess remains that it is a brand new exam. Been alot of talk of tougher hiring standards, academy, etc. No offense to anyone but i think that there arent going to be any t.o.'s going out for the past exam. Probably rather take 90's-100's off a new exam than 80's off the old one. I have absolutely no confirmation of any of this, just my guess.

                              Comment


                              • Talk about someone getting busted on a polygraph exam. Check the article out

                                http://www.justnews.com/news/25466293/detail.html[/URL]ws/25466293/detail.html
                                USBP
                                Written Exam: 8-20-2010
                                NOR: 8-25-2010 (93)
                                TO: 9-10-2010
                                PFT1/Medical: 11-9-2010
                                OB: 11-28-2010
                                Drug Test: 2-2-2011
                                BI Interview: 4-19-2011
                                The call: 7-8-11 (Douglas, Az)
                                EOD: 7-28-11

                                CBP
                                TO: 6-15-2011
                                PFT1: 7-8-2011

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6275 users online. 372 members and 5903 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X