Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello all,
    Maybe 7 or 8 months ago I took a break from the forum, I use to post several times a week. I have not visited the forum or logged in since. After reading the forum for about 10 minutes I see not much has changed. I recommend taking a break from this place, it helped me clear my head from the hiring craziness. Once I accepted I had done all I could to get this job I was able to move on. I have been in the hiring process 3 years, I have passed everything and I am in TSU. Re-tested three times because of expiration. Maybe someday the call will come, maybe it won't. You just gotta move on like it's not coming. I think I might check back in early 2011. Good luck to everyone.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
      As far as I know this not true. Out of curiosity please site the section of law you are referring to that states all clearances have to be acknowledged by all agencies. The people I have worked with in CBP that grant the security clearances have stated that they are not obligated to honor any outside agency clearance.
      I was incorrect on the exact location of the requirement. It is located in CFR 5 sec 731. That section merely states that reciprocity may be given. The memorandum providing guidance on the implementation of E.O. 13488 mandates the reciprocity and does not list the time frames of required employment as a requirement for reciprocity. E.O. 13488 also does not include the time frames of minimum employment. To make matter more interesting the only officially recognized investigations (for CBPO) is the SSBI with LEO add-ons. CBP also adds their financial forms, that are not part of the official OPM SSBI, so they can say the typical SSBI with LEO add-ons does not meet their requirements.

      The whole deal is nothing but a big ****ing match. (WARNING history lesson) At one point the government only had three or four different BI's that could be done. There weren't any add-ons. There was nothing more than those simple investigations. As more and more agencies required better applicants they started to add to the investigations, until quite literally each investigation for each agency (and possibly each job within the agency) was completely different. At one point it became too difficult to do a good job with the BI's because each was so different. At that point all BI's were brought under OPM's mandate. The number of different investigations was cut to the few we currently have, but add-ons were also included. There are only a few (less than 20) different add-ons. Once every one was brought into line then OPM allowed various agencies to conduct their own investigations, but the ultimate responsibility still lies with OPM. Once the investigations were released to the agencies again they started to add their own stipulations, otherwise CBP might be forced to use a BI conducted on someone who was employed as an FBI agent. If I am incorrect in the history lesson, sorry. It has been some time since I did that work and I was working from memory.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

      For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
        I was incorrect on the exact location of the requirement. It is located in CFR 5 sec 731. That section merely states that reciprocity may be given. The memorandum providing guidance on the implementation of E.O. 13488 mandates the reciprocity and does not list the time frames of required employment as a requirement for reciprocity. E.O. 13488 also does not include the time frames of minimum employment. To make matter more interesting the only officially recognized investigations (for CBPO) is the SSBI with LEO add-ons. CBP also adds their financial forms, that are not part of the official OPM SSBI, so they can say the typical SSBI with LEO add-ons does not meet their requirements.

        The whole deal is nothing but a big ****ing match. (WARNING history lesson) At one point the government only had three or four different BI's that could be done. There weren't any add-ons. There was nothing more than those simple investigations. As more and more agencies required better applicants they started to add to the investigations, until quite literally each investigation for each agency (and possibly each job within the agency) was completely different. At one point it became too difficult to do a good job with the BI's because each was so different. At that point all BI's were brought under OPM's mandate. The number of different investigations was cut to the few we currently have, but add-ons were also included. There are only a few (less than 20) different add-ons. Once every one was brought into line then OPM allowed various agencies to conduct their own investigations, but the ultimate responsibility still lies with OPM. Once the investigations were released to the agencies again they started to add their own stipulations, otherwise CBP might be forced to use a BI conducted on someone who was employed as an FBI agent. If I am incorrect in the history lesson, sorry. It has been some time since I did that work and I was working from memory.

        Good info, and interesting. It though appears that these add-ons are their scapegoat from making life easy for all LEO's.

        Thanks

        Comment


        • Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
          Has anyone got any info on a recent House Bill proposing the separation of CBP into distinct Customs and Immigration factions? I have heard rumblings about this for the last couple of years and talk of this just resurfaced today through the rumor mill here at the port.
          We've been hearing that for a while. I haven't heard anything new about it. I think the agency would operate a whole lot better if we went to specialties. I guess only time will tell.
          Don't tase me bro!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
            We've been hearing that for a while. I haven't heard anything new about it. I think the agency would operate a whole lot better if we went to specialties. I guess only time will tell.
            We already have that in an informal way. Most ports I know of are either primarily cargo or people. The impression I get from talking with people around the country is once a person starts working one side they tend to stay on that side.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

            For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
              Thanks for the understanding, kc12.

              Yea, I've got no knowledge about hiring whatsoever. PL07, you seem to know quite a bit about hiring. Are you something other than a journeyman CBPO? Do you work at FLETC or in DC?

              All I know is that in the past 3 years EVERY single negative thing that was rumored to be true about this job's likelihood came true. Hiring clog? Yep. "hiring won't actually start after '10 fiscal year". yep. 100% polygraph for applicants? yep. 2nd fitness exam? yep. Annual medical/fitness/Background updates? yep. Economic collapse to scare CBPO's from leaving? yep. Democratic administration? yep. GS-13's to reduce attrition? yep.

              Good for the economy and the department? Probably more than a few of them. Absolutely nightmarish for applicants? You betcha.

              Cry me a river, I know, but I'm one of the 310 million frustrated Americans and 6 billion frustrated foreigners. I've applied to probably 60 Federal agencies and the only ones who have come close are CBP and TSA. I would work for free. I'm getting older and I want to feel like I'm growing along with the aging. I'm a good guy, I work hard and I want a career ladder; Something that no longer exists in the private sector.

              There have been positives, and I am actually an optimist. I just want anyone who is thinking about starting this endless process to re-consider their options and have a realistic understanding. When I came on, CBPO's believed that people would be sucked into work at a rapid pace and that TSU was a 2-30 day wait. It was. Knowing what was in store for me, I would have taken the TSA job that I applied for 2 years ago and recently started the process for again. I would have also applied for other private sector jobs. I currently am and have been working for a good boss, but one of the reasons that I stayed put was because I didn't wan't to get a job and leave a month later, screwing the manager (oh and also because jobs are hard to come by). I'm not blaming anyone for this (except myself a bit) because nobody could have known, but knowing what I do know and how many people are just sitting in wait, it is clear as crystal that there is no future hiring for most of us. Believing that CBP will never hire you will be a healthier and probably more realistic expectation for most of us and may aid us in making better choices for ourselves. If I didn't believe that all was lost I wouldn't have booked my various vacations and moved further away from my desired PPOE.

              Also, I wasn't "putting down" other applicants by expressing my frustration, nor was I implying inside information. I've kept my criticisms largely to myself, but see no actual imperative in doing so. The federal hiring process is excessively frustrating and expensive, these are facts. People should realize this.

              Oh, and by all means, apply for CBPO if a slot opens up - but do so as though you are buying a lottery ticket.
              I absolutely agree. I first tested for BPA and CBPO in 2007. I ended up calling BPA quits (and I’m kicking myself for it now) but still wanting CBPO (only because it is in Minnesota and I wouldn’t have to move) For awhile I checked this board EVERY DAY. then every week. then every month. I went for about three months and then started my BPA process again so I checked the Agent boards. Then I came to see how all my old friends are doing! I agree with Tuff. Apply then forget it. If they send you something, fill it out, send it in and go on with your life. There are people who missed family vacation so they wouldn’t miss "the call." Live like its not coming and be pleasantly surprised if it does. Like Tuff said- treat it like a lottery ticket
              Last edited by tsawille; 09-04-2010, 04:01 AM.
              TSU- 07/14/09
              location- Minneapolis

              Comment


              • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                We already have that in an informal way. Most ports I know of are either primarily cargo or people. The impression I get from talking with people around the country is once a person starts working one side they tend to stay on that side.
                This depends entirely on the size of the port. It is possible to be proficient in both aspects of the job. It takes a commitment on the part of the employee to learn both functions and it takes commitment of the part of management to train the employee properly (not watching cd's). Both sides of the equation have failed in this respect.

                FB

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                  This depends entirely on the size of the port. It is possible to be proficient in both aspects of the job. It takes a commitment on the part of the employee to learn both functions and it takes commitment of the part of management to train the employee properly (not watching cd's). Both sides of the equation have failed in this respect.

                  FB
                  +1.

                  Broadly speaking and dependent on circumstance, I'd say the above rings true with just about every aspect of the job.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                    This depends entirely on the size of the port. It is possible to be proficient in both aspects of the job. It takes a commitment on the part of the employee to learn both functions and it takes commitment of the part of management to train the employee properly (not watching cd's). Both sides of the equation have failed in this respect.

                    FB
                    I agree with this to a point. Since most ports are not the large LAX, Atlanta, NYC, Miami it would seem most of the officers at the smaller ports are unable to get the experience to be good at the other skill set. They can get all of the training they want, but it still comes down to seeing real world issues and handling them where the learning takes place. The port I work is primarily cargo. We do some immigration on a few people who come in, but to say we are in the least bit proficient with immigration is very wrong. Even if we were to train daily on immigration issues we still would not be proficient with that side of the house, because we don't get the application needed to actually learn the job. This is no different from a person working a port that essentially does nothing but immigration. They can train all day on customs actions, but until they are actually in the fray, they really don't know how to do the job.

                    It would be good (I know it will never happen) if the agency would allow those who are interested to perform one or two month TDY's to ports specializing in the other discipline for training. So in my case I would go to an immigration port, whereas someone from Chicago would go to Miami. This would give officers the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in the other discipline. I think these officers would wind up making better supervisors and managers and in the long run a better agency.
                    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                    For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      It would be good (I know it will never happen) if the agency would allow those who are interested to perform one or two month TDY's to ports specializing in the other discipline for training. So in my case I would go to an immigration port, whereas someone from Chicago would go to Miami. This would give officers the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in the other discipline. I think these officers would wind up making better supervisors and managers and in the long run a better agency.

                      That's a great idea. Cross training is such a low priority at our port that it is nearly nonexistent. All energy and resources are trained on keeping incoming traffic moving through the gates. I have come close to swapping for Long Beach Seaport to acquire cargo experience. My wife won't make the move, and the 2 1/2 hour drive from San Diego is more than I'm willing to undertake, so I stay. Several officers have, this year, successfully negotiated swaps from our southern border POEs (SAN DIEGO) to Long Beach. I think all were to to get back home or reduce drive time to work. If you're not assigned to San Diego Land Border Cargo or Seaport, that's pretty much the only way to get cargo training. There is no local rotation. Those positions are locked up tight. (That's a "dirty little secret" here in San Diego)
                      ========================================


                      sigpic

                      I feel the need - the need for speed.

                      Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

                      Comment


                      • I just cleard my background check fr the 2nd time... but my TSU moved from 8/7/09 to 8/31/10.
                        Anybody knows why I didn't keep my original TSU?
                        Forms: Completed
                        Fitness: Completed
                        Medical: Completed
                        VBT: Completed
                        Drug test: Completed
                        Quals: Completed - GS-7
                        Background Investigation: Completed
                        TSU: August 7, 2009
                        2nd TSU: August 31, 2010
                        Referred to Schedule EOD: September 13, 2010
                        EOD: ?
                        FLETC: ?

                        Comment


                        • TSU Date doesn't even matter anymore. Everything is pretty much based on TO date as stated previously.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by PL07 View Post
                            TSU Date doesn't even matter anymore. Everything is pretty much based on TO date as stated previously.
                            But One would have to be in TSU for the TO Offer to even matter right?

                            My background just cleard today as well for the Second time.
                            CBPO
                            GEO - NY/JFK
                            TO - 01/29/09
                            TSU - 05/05/09

                            Background cleared on 6/10/09
                            Expired 6/10/11
                            Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rshen11 View Post
                              But One would have to be in TSU for the TO Offer to even matter right?

                              My background just cleard today as well for the Second time.
                              No the order of the process is: TO, BI/Physical/Qualifications, TSU, EOD. The only items that must occur at certain times are the TO and EOD. Some a few years back never saw TSU before being called. They went from being cleared to receiving the call within hours and that was before the system updated to see a TSU date. Now they are using either your TO date or certificate date for hiring, I forget which. They should have been doing that all along as it allows for the proper application of veterans preference.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                              For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                                No the order of the process is: TO, BI/Physical/Qualifications, TSU, EOD. The only items that must occur at certain times are the TO and EOD. Some a few years back never saw TSU before being called. They went from being cleared to receiving the call within hours and that was before the system updated to see a TSU date. Now they are using either your TO date or certificate date for hiring, I forget which. They should have been doing that all along as it allows for the proper application of veterans preference.
                                I know what you are saying.. But People Enter TSU once their Pre-employment Background Clears. TSU seems Irrelvant as long as your background Clears now..
                                But One can have an Earlier TO DATE then me but wont get the call because they havent Finished their Pre-Employment..
                                Am i making any sense?
                                CASS doesnt even show TSU date anymore.. Just shows everything as Cleared for me..
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TO - 01/29/09
                                TSU - 05/05/09

                                Background cleared on 6/10/09
                                Expired 6/10/11
                                Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8927 users online. 299 members and 8628 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X