Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to the budget for FY 2011, how many new hires was CBP planning on picking up not including from the new funding they received for officers on the SWB?

Comment

• There will be no hiring for CBPO for years. If you haven't applied yet and are old enough to be interested in a career, expect to never be hired. Go for border patrol. Almost all of us in TSU will never be hired. CBP is closed for the next 10 years. I wish we could start a pool that no more than 1% in TSU are hired in the next 5 years at least - I would put $100 on it.

The Federal hiring process is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
      CBPO
      GEO - NY/JFK
      TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
      PE Forms - Completed
      Fitness - Completed
      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
      Drug Screen - Completed
      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
      Medical - 05/09 - Completed
      TSU

EOD: ???
      FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by PL07 View Post
        According to the budget for FY 2011, how many new hires was CBP planning on picking up not including from the new funding they received for officers on the SWB?
        PL,

Hard to say, as of today only the Senate's proposal is available.

From the Senate Proposal (7-25-10, pre-Border Security Bill) under Southwest Border Initiative:

"Specifically, as detailed later in this report, the Committee recommends $20,000,000 to hire no fewer than 80 new CBP officers and $10,000,000 to hire the 62 CBP officers funded by the Congress in the fiscal year 2010 act but not hired due to overall CBP fee revenue shortfalls. Finally, the Committee recommends $15,900,000 above the request for hiring 86 pilots, marine enforcement agents, and operational support staff, as well 5 new positions in support of the additional UAS."

This was proposed prior to the 250 additional, so who knows if it is 250 or 392 (250+80+62). I couldn't find anything for the rest of the Nation...

Also of interest:

"The Committee recommends a total of $158,286,000, $17,000,000 above the request for CBP to expand integrity training for its officers, conduct investigations, and reduce the backlog of reviews and the polygraph backlog. Over the last 5 years, CBP has hired more than 15,700 new personnel, a 37 percent increase since fiscal year 2006. The Committee is aware that CBP's Office of Internal Affairs is facing a significant backlog in completing Periodic Reinvestigations [PRI] of current employees. Additionally, CBP is having difficulty reaching its goal of polygraphing 100 percent of the applicant pool for front line officer and agent positions without increasing staffing in this area. The additional $17,000,000 above the request will allow CBP to perform polygraphs on 100 percent of the law enforcement applicant pool, an increase from 25 percent in fiscal year 2010, and begin to reduce the PRI backlog..."

SOURCE: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...22&dbname=111&

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
          There will be no hiring for CBPO for years. If you haven't applied yet and are old enough to be interested in a career, expect to never be hired. Go for border patrol. Almost all of us in TSU will never be hired. CBP is closed for the next 10 years. I wish we could start a pool that no more than 1% in TSU are hired in the next 5 years at least - I would put $100 on it.

How do you know? 10 years? 1%? I hope you are wrong. Do you have inside info? I don't expect much this year, but it should be better than last year, don't you think? Let's hope you are wrong. I've been in TSU for a long time as well.

Comment

There will be no hiring for CBPO for years. If you haven't applied yet and are old enough to be interested in a career, expect to never be hired. Go for border patrol. Almost all of us in TSU will never be hired. CBP is closed for the next 10 years. I wish we could start a pool that no more than 1% in TSU are hired in the next 5 years at least - I would put $100 on it.

Considering theres a class of CBPO's at FLETC right now that started in July, your wrong. Don't make rediculous claims that put down other applicants. You aren't even employed by CBP so unless you have some inside source at HQ, I'd keep it to yourself.
            Last edited by PL07; 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              The truth is that nobody here likely knows when the next announcement opens. It could be October, it might be sometime in 2012. It'll open if/when CBP and/or those in power decide it's to their advantage to open a new announcement.

Border Patrol opened an announcement a short time back. I believe it's still open, for those interested.

Look around at the numbers of people here that are still awaiting hire who tested in 2009...2008...2007...or before. The next announcement likely will not be targeted so much at 'current' hiring. The next announcement most likely will come into play looking to fill hires in 2011...2012...2013...2014.
              I attended a training class that had to do with a portion of the hiring process a short time ago. It was implied that there may be an up coming announcement possibly in October-November time frame.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by PL07 View Post
                Considering theres a class of CBPO's at FLETC right now that started in July, your wrong. Don't make rediculous claims that put down other applicants. You aren't even employed by CBP so unless you have some inside source at HQ, I'd keep it to yourself.
                TuffstuffCBP has been in the process a very long time and was most likely blowing off steam. No agency can go 10 years without hiring any new employees, especially one as large as CBP OFO. There will always be people retiring, quitting, or getting fired. Most of the people hired in the last 5-8 years were a result of the merger and bringing staffing up to planned levels. There might not be the huge hiring push like we've seen recently, but people will still be hired. I think there will be a bit of an exodus starting in about a year. People who want a more LE oriented job will have had 12 on for a year and will be looking to get to an agency that is more in line with their goals. I don't see any large hiring before that, but my crystal ball is notoriously inaccurate. The next big exodus, I think will be in about 18 years, when the first of the 12(d) covered people will be eligible to retire. I'm sure there will be other large hiring pushes as conditions change, but those are the ones I can see now.

The people really sucking hind parts are those who were hired at the end of this last hiring binge. They will remain low man for a very long time and will not be able to obtain any real seniority for 5-10 years at the earliest (probably closer to 10-15 years). For those who were hired after age 30 that means they will have seniority shortly before they are eligible to retire. I know people right now who have been on the job 4 years and who can only get the jobs they want if the senior people bid right. I also know people who have been on the job 2 or 3 years and don't even bother putting in a bid for a job, because all they can get is the leftover positions.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Thanks for the understanding, kc12.

Yea, I've got no knowledge about hiring whatsoever. PL07, you seem to know quite a bit about hiring. Are you something other than a journeyman CBPO? Do you work at FLETC or in DC?

All I know is that in the past 3 years EVERY single negative thing that was rumored to be true about this job's likelihood came true. Hiring clog? Yep. "hiring won't actually start after '10 fiscal year". yep. 100% polygraph for applicants? yep. 2nd fitness exam? yep. Annual medical/fitness/Background updates? yep. Economic collapse to scare CBPO's from leaving? yep. Democratic administration? yep. GS-13's to reduce attrition? yep.

Good for the economy and the department? Probably more than a few of them. Absolutely nightmarish for applicants? You betcha.

Cry me a river, I know, but I'm one of the 310 million frustrated Americans and 6 billion frustrated foreigners. I've applied to probably 60 Federal agencies and the only ones who have come close are CBP and TSA. I would work for free. I'm getting older and I want to feel like I'm growing along with the aging. I'm a good guy, I work hard and I want a career ladder; Something that no longer exists in the private sector.

There have been positives, and I am actually an optimist. I just want anyone who is thinking about starting this endless process to re-consider their options and have a realistic understanding. When I came on, CBPO's believed that people would be sucked into work at a rapid pace and that TSU was a 2-30 day wait. It was. Knowing what was in store for me, I would have taken the TSA job that I applied for 2 years ago and recently started the process for again. I would have also applied for other private sector jobs. I currently am and have been working for a good boss, but one of the reasons that I stayed put was because I didn't wan't to get a job and leave a month later, screwing the manager (oh and also because jobs are hard to come by). I'm not blaming anyone for this (except myself a bit) because nobody could have known, but knowing what I do know and how many people are just sitting in wait, it is clear as crystal that there is no future hiring for most of us. Believing that CBP will never hire you will be a healthier and probably more realistic expectation for most of us and may aid us in making better choices for ourselves. If I didn't believe that all was lost I wouldn't have booked my various vacations and moved further away from my desired PPOE.

Also, I wasn't "putting down" other applicants by expressing my frustration, nor was I implying inside information. I've kept my criticisms largely to myself, but see no actual imperative in doing so. The federal hiring process is excessively frustrating and expensive, these are facts. People should realize this.

Oh, and by all means, apply for CBPO if a slot opens up - but do so as though you are buying a lottery ticket.
                  Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM.
                  CBPO
                  GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                  PE Forms - Completed
                  Fitness - Completed
                  VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                  Drug Screen - Completed
                  Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                  B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                  TSU

Comment

• TuffStuffCBP
                    Check out my Sig..... I completely understand where you are coming from, and almost exactly 3 years into it they gave me the Polygraph!!!!... I haven't even been waiting for "the call" all this time, I've been waiting to get into TSU... and still am since I passed my Ploy almost 2 weeks ago.
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• I'm not the most competitive candidate myself, but the reasons that I'm being removed from the process are known to me. I'm applying to random jobs. Most of the criminal investigator positions I qualify for but have not been selected due to someone else being better qualified, which wouldn't be hard due to my unrelated current job and education. I qualify on grades, so if somebody has experience + grades that usually trumps me. Some processes are canceled (5 in the past 2 months).

I'm not a secretary, I'm not a manager, I have no government experience, so I don't get selected for those jobs. I've never been found un-suitable, just unqualified for jobs I am not particularly qualified for, but you never know.

If the slate was blank - Sure - somebody should apply if they are competitive or not. Now, guys who received 100's on their tests, have their masters degree in CJ and a JD, special forces or CI history, anything - would sit in queue; probably behind me for an undetermined period of time, waiting to miss an e-mail, letter, look at a BI investigator, nurse or doctor the wrong way, say the wrong thing online, get pulled over for speeding, hurt their knee, have a health problem, have their TSU dates overturned, die, default on a loan during the downturn - anything that life can throw your way. And you have no idea when or if the DHS oracle will divine your hiring at any point while you still have your teeth - or at least hit 37.

It is a war of attrition. It is an air-conditioned battle of the Somme. Where CBPO's are receiving raises while applicants are willing to take a pay cut for their jobs. It is the twilight zone where the government is in worse financial shape than we are and large, long standing organizations go out of business in government and the private sector.

We aren't getting any closer to being hired as days go by, we are getting further away.

But I'm still psyched about the job, even though everytime I come on the forums I get my *** kicked by the reality. Maybe it's time for a break
                      Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM.
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                      PE Forms - Completed
                      Fitness - Completed
                      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                      Drug Screen - Completed
                      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                      TSU

Comment

• I'm not here to argue with an applicant who is running his mouth off. I've worked for multiple ABC agencies. I've attended FLETC at Artesia, Charleston, and Glynco. Do I work at FLETC or HQ? No. I do know people in high places in my port's Field Office. Is CBP hiring like it was during the surge during 2007? No. Many ports are still over authorized hiring levels even after losing officers to retirement, fired, death, transfer, etc. CBP will hire this year. Will it have multiple classes per month? No. You have a geo preference of JFK...do you think CBP is going to allocate its funding to JFK over the SWB? There is a current class at FLETC right now of CBPO's making your great theory false. To sit here and run your mouth off as an applicant who wants a job at OFO is sad. You will fit right in with the CBPO's who were fired during probation for being know it alls and having attitude problems. Maybe that is the reason you can't get picked up by any agencies.

Comment

Thanks for the understanding, kc12.

Yea, I've got no knowledge about hiring whatsoever. PL07, you seem to know quite a bit about hiring. Are you something other than a journeyman CBPO? Do you work at FLETC or in DC?

All I know is that in the past 3 years EVERY single negative thing that was rumored to be true about this job's likelihood came true. Hiring clog? Yep. "hiring won't actually start after '10 fiscal year". yep. 100% polygraph for applicants? yep. 2nd fitness exam? yep. Annual medical/fitness/Background updates? yep. Economic collapse to scare CBPO's from leaving? yep. Democratic administration? yep. GS-13's to reduce attrition? yep.

Good for the economy and the department? Probably more than a few of them. Absolutely nightmarish for applicants? You betcha.

Cry me a river, I know, but I'm one of the 310 million frustrated Americans and 6 billion frustrated foreigners. I've applied to probably 60 Federal agencies and the only ones who have come close are CBP and TSA. I would work for free. I'm getting older and I want to feel like I'm growing along with the aging. I'm a good guy, I work hard and I want a career ladder; Something that no longer exists in the private sector.

There have been positives, and I am actually an optimist. I just want anyone who is thinking about starting this endless process to re-consider their options and have a realistic understanding. When I came on, CBPO's believed that people would be sucked into work at a rapid pace and that TSU was a 2-30 day wait. It was. Knowing what was in store for me, I would have taken the TSA job that I applied for 2 years ago and recently started the process for again. I would have also applied for other private sector jobs. I currently am and have been working for a good boss, but one of the reasons that I stayed put was because I didn't wan't to get a job and leave a month later, screwing the manager (oh and also because jobs are hard to come by). I'm not blaming anyone for this (except myself a bit) because nobody could have known, but knowing what I do know and how many people are just sitting in wait, it is clear as crystal that there is no future hiring for most of us. Believing that CBP will never hire you will be a healthier and probably more realistic expectation for most of us and may aid us in making better choices for ourselves. If I didn't believe that all was lost I wouldn't have booked my various vacations and moved further away from my desired PPOE.

Also, I wasn't "putting down" other applicants by expressing my frustration, nor was I implying inside information. I've kept my criticisms largely to myself, but see no actual imperative in doing so. The federal hiring process is excessively frustrating and expensive, these are facts. People should realize this.

Oh, and by all means, apply for CBPO if a slot opens up - but do so as though you are buying a lottery ticket.

You'all are giving way too much thought into the hiring process than you should. I applied for an Immigration position back in 2000 and got hired in mid of 2003. It takes awhile no matter what, but that's the way all federal jobs are. You have been in the process for 2 and a half years... you just got to wait. I know you're venting but you're way off base. CBP will be hiring but primarily only for the southern border. One thing everyone on here seems to be overlooking is that according to CBP they are overstaffed in most areas. The attrition rates have dived to nearly nothing as compared to a few years ago. It's also not just do to the LEO coverage or the GS-12's so much as the economy. Jobs are not as easy to come by any more. House prices have fallen to nothing. I know two three years ago I wasn't afraid to sh*t-can my job since I knew our house had equity and we could move anywhere without hassle. Now it's actually impossible so guess what... many people stick with their job. It's just the way things are going right now. Most agencies aren't hiring at all... or being super-selective. CBP IS the largest Federal LEO force in the nation... employing more armed officers than anyone else. It's a lot of spots to fill, but again people are not leaving fast enough and the economy isn't growing enough to push CBP for mass hiring like years before.

Keep up the faith, but I have personally waited for federal LEO jobs much longer than it took me to get one with CBP. Try over 8 years for one. It happens.

Also unlike many here I actually visit HQ quite frequently, and know many people there. Hiring will happen, but like I said, it's going to be limited and mostly at the border. Keep the faith and hang in there.

Comment

• Getting this thread back on discussion...I doubt they will be able to hire enough polygraph specialists to polygraph 100% of OFO and BP applicants anytime soon.

Comment

• Depends on the agency within DHS and how long ago it was adjudicated successfully. It is hit or miss with IA. Chances are that they will do their own SSBI if the TS was not issued very recently.

Comment

• Thanks, CBPOI that's good advice. I'm not entitled a job by any means. If I have to wait for the job for 8 years I'm still lucky to get it. My frustration comes from the thought that I might not get the job after waiting 8 years.

I'm not asking anyone to hire me just because it's fair or not. If anything, I personally understand why they would be interested in a smaller CBP due to the circumstances and why they are not hiring and why the SWB is the priority. Of course. I'm sure most homeowners understand that their houses are losing equity and that the values probably should go down, but it still kind of blows.

My perspective is legitimate, if someone were to look at the application process, I may be able to shine some light on the reality. Ask most CBP officers who don't frequent the forums and they've been saying "hang in there, once you're in TSU you are golden" up until recently, they know about their own hiring process, but they have no idea about the current one. I don't pretend to know about the job, but I'll hold my experience as a CBPO APPLICANT over alot of current officers any day. That's a funny way to look at it, right?
                                Last edited by TuffStuffCBP; 09-01-2010, 03:03 PM.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4939 users online. 291 members and 4648 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X