Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by PL07; 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Hello everyone, hope all is well, I just got back from out of town therefore I wasn't able to communicate my experience with the BP exam, I know it's the wrong forum, but I know there are a couple of us who are trying to get onboard where we can. I took the test last friday here in Fort Lauderdale, the exam consists of 32 logical questions 43 spanish ones, at least on my test which was the spanish prof. version. Spanish being my first language, I went right through that section in 35 min. although it was very tricky even for a spanish speaker (grammar wise). My issue would definately be the logical reason since I had to really apply my self when taking that part, but ultimately I feel pretty confident about the end result. as a piece of advice to anyone taking the test soon, practice, practice, and pace your self since you only have 2 min. per question.
      Good luck and be safe.

Comment

• What's your take on the pay raise? Here is the private sector sentiment.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/27/gov...mny_print.html
        CBPO
        GEO - NY/JFK
        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
        PE Forms - Completed
        Fitness - Completed
        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
        Drug Screen - Completed
        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
        TSU

EOD: ???
        FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          I'll also add that there are now hundreds(if not thousands) of CBP managers who just moved up from GS-12s to GS-13s. Ultimately, who knows how middle/upper level managers will be able to use the journeyman upgrades to springboard themselves into a higher pay-grade.

Management, at least at the lower levels, likely gained the most with these upgrades.
          We will have to see how that plays out. The GS-12 Supervisors made out OK they got GS-13's. However, the GS-13 Chiefs, Assistant Port Directors and GS-13 Port Directors did not make out so well they stayed exactly were they were. GS-14 Port Directors same thing they did get anything. Right now, I got my GS 13 as a Supervisor but my Port Director who is my boss didn't get anything he is still a GS-13.

FB

Comment

• I just changed my Geo Preference from WA - All Other Locations to WA - Northern Border. Hoping to get a TO before my test results expire in December of 2010.
            BPA EOD - 09/06/10

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
              What's your take on the pay raise? Here is the private sector sentiment.

Besides my wife I know of the pay of two private sector people. One was a security program manager for a medium sized regional bank. He had to know how LE would prosecute anybody who was attempting to steal money form the bank. He also had to be able to evaluate bids for installation and maintenance of security systems. This man did not have any supervisory responsibilities. I was very surprised how little this person needed to know. His pay 10 years ago was approximately $120k. My wife's boss works for a large local bank. She is a vice president over one aspect of a loan program (i.e. mortgages, credit cards, personal loans, or auto loans) She has to know the laws concerning lending requirements. She is not responsible for business development. She does have supervisory responsibility for four employees. Her pay is in the neighborhood of $80-100k per year.

When you compare what they do/know with what we do/know we are very under paid. We have to know and be familiar so many laws it's unreal. We are expected to know everything local LE must know about criminal procedure/process plus a lot more federal criminal and administrative laws. When you look at what we must know and what we must be familiar with we have a lot of responsibility and to actually pay us comparably with private sector salaries we would need a raise.

I am happy with our pay and benefits but to hear reporters complain that government employees are overpaid is a bit irritating. They are fond of using average salaries. The vast majority of the money is in the SES and higher levels. The vast majority of employees are paid under the GS system. A simple look at the pay scale reveals how idiotic the assertions of these reporters are. Remember to qualify for a GS-5 typically requires a four year degree or one year's work experience at a level that is equivalent to a four year degree.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                We will have to see how that plays out. The GS-12 Supervisors made out OK they got GS-13's. However, the GS-13 Chiefs, Assistant Port Directors and GS-13 Port Directors did not make out so well they stayed exactly were they were. GS-14 Port Directors same thing they did get anything. Right now, I got my GS 13 as a Supervisor but my Port Director who is my boss didn't get anything he is still a GS-13.

FB
                You would no doubt know the numbers better than me.

My experience has me meeting all of 1 GS-12 PD with a GS-12 Sup. under her.(Piegan, MT) That was in 2006, give or take. I'm pretty sure since I was last there that there's a new GS-13 PD running things now. Outside of that, I've never see a GS-12 under another GS-12. Since the new 13 is the old 12, I'm guessing that the same 'rules' would apply.

I worked for a GS-13 PD not long ago. Right now, he should have 6 GS-13 first-line Sups working under him.

I'll buy into the "see how it plays out". If I was betting though, I'd bet that the guys like your current PD who are now looking at supervising other GS-13's will be seeing an upgrades at some point in the not too distant future.

Really, since PD's tend to work "banker's hours", won't you new 13 first-line Sups end up earning mega-$$$$ over your 13 PDs...assuming you work much for evenings/midnights/Sundays/holidays/OT?

Comment

You would no doubt know the numbers better than me.

My experience has me meeting all of 1 GS-12 PD with a GS-12 Sup. under her.(Piegan, MT) That was in 2006, give or take. I'm pretty sure since I was last there that there's a new GS-13 PD running things now. Outside of that, I've never see a GS-12 under another GS-12. Since the new 13 is the old 12, I'm guessing that the same 'rules' would apply.

I worked for a GS-13 PD not long ago. Right now, he should have 6 GS-13 first-line Sups working under him.

I'll buy into the "see how it plays out". If I was betting though, I'd bet that the guys like your current PD who are now looking at supervising other GS-13's will be seeing an upgrades at some point in the not too distant future.

Really, since PD's tend to work "banker's hours", won't you new 13 first-line Sups end up earning mega-$$$$ over your 13 PDs...assuming you work much for evenings/midnights/Sundays/holidays/OT?
                  Actually, not all 12 Sup's became 13 Sups. If they have only one employee, they stayed a 12. So now you have a 12 supervising a 12. I know of a couple of 12 PD's who had sups working for them, so I kind of wonder what became of them.
                  Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• BiggDawg, how is the hiring looking at Buffalo? I have a few friends that are waiting on that Port and I have no information for them considering I don't work in the Buffalo FO. You can PM me if you like. Thanks for the information.
                    Last edited by PL07; 08-31-2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                      What's your take on the pay raise? Here is the private sector sentiment.

CBP is one of a handful of agencies that ultimately make money for Uncle Sugar. We bring in more $$$ than we consume.
                      Our pay increases could well mean that the overall burden to the taxpaying public actually drops...assuming that our overall revenue collection picks up.

Comment

• Originally posted by PL07 View Post
                        BiggDawg, how is the hiring looking at Buffalo? I have a few friends that are waiting on that Port and I have no information for them considering I don't work in the Buffalo FO. You can PM me if you like. Thanks for the information.
                        I have no idea about hiring in any one Northern Border location. From what I know, hiring is going South...literally! The best geographic preference for a prospective new hire to get the call is probably El Paso or Arizona. These are the locations that grab headlines, so they will get new positions before any others. Of course the northern border was one of Janet’s favorite places to focus on (She just came back from Montana earlier this week) but the motto has always been “If it bleeds it leads” and Juarez has that arterial spurt going on.
                        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Very valid point

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          CBP is one of a handful of agencies that ultimately make money for Uncle Sugar. We bring in more $$$ than we consume.
                          Our pay increases could well mean that the overall burden to the taxpaying public actually drops...assuming that our overall revenue collection picks up.

Comment

I should add that it's likely the "stamp-monkey", "clerk with guns", "greeter", admin, regulatory aspects of the job that are largely responsible for CBP's money flow. Your typical "law enforcement" work most likely runs a deficit spending wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb5722
                              anyone know if another announcement will be opening up soon? something to fill the 250 positions announced for the southwest border initiative a while back (the 600 million in funding).
                              There is already 250 plus candidates already cleared for the southwest border just waiting for the final job offer. So dont count on a new announcement.

Comment

• The truth is that nobody here likely knows when the next announcement opens. It could be October, it might be sometime in 2012. It'll open if/when CBP and/or those in power decide it's to their advantage to open a new announcement.

Border Patrol opened an announcement a short time back. I believe it's still open, for those interested.

Look around at the numbers of people here that are still awaiting hire who tested in 2009...2008...2007...or before. The next announcement likely will not be targeted so much at 'current' hiring. The next announcement most likely will come into play looking to fill hires in 2011...2012...2013...2014.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11398 users online. 392 members and 11006 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X