Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
    Cool, the step test isn't a big deal, neither is the sit down with the 3 or 4 BP guys.

    Negative, just the FCRA. In one of the snail mail letters or emails MHC sent me, it stated that after the first year of being in TSU, you're only asked to submit the FCRA, which if it checks out extends your eligibility another year, then after that 2nd year, you'll need to resubmit the SF-86 and possibly redo the BI interview). Not really sure what The Man thinks will change with our fingerprints and the logic behind having to resubmit them other than generating revenue for the agency taking them. Oh well.

    Gracias, vamos a ver.
    It really depends. For me, its going to be 1 year in TSU tomorrow. I received the email in regards FCRA back in either Feb or Mar of 2010. A month later, they FedEx me the package; finger print cards, all the docs that we filled out from before. I also had to update the E-Qip and print them out. Sent everything out. Didn't hear anything from it since, until I got a call from another BI just this week. Went through everything all over again. Now, I'm just waiting....again....
    TSU - 8/28/09
    TO - 3/2009
    On the job

    Comment


    • meanwhile, i'm still waiting to hear about taking that polygraph everyone seems to be signed up for

      Comment


      • BIZZARE at best . MERLIN you never cease to amaze me ! You can fool the newbies who have never worked at CBP. You can sing with the choir of a few here who are like you ! But it is hard to dispute what Managment said in a recent hearing about the service. True they misused Customs Service but it was clear they were speaking of CBP . As for you knocking the UNION they are the ones who got you the 11 ,LEO coverage and the 12 . CBP or Customs does not think of the officers as LEO . Off duty carry was awarded by arbitration . The Agency was brought to leo coverage kicking and screaming. And I could paste many quotes about how CBP places officers below air/marine , bp, etc .
        Without the UNION you would be TSA maybe TSA with guns which is close to what CBP actually is , however with the UNION CBP officers enjoy great pay ,leo status and more.
        I will state that the Union has to represent the whole and as such they do not push getting rid of the 99.999999 % customer service aspect of the job. As a great many officers do not want the job to change to an enforcement aspect. Some day I would love to meet you and spend a day at any PORT of your choice and observe what CBP does . Then I would like to take you for a ride along or even a day or so with an ICE S/A . I would love to take pictures and make a movie of JFK or any airport . I worked with countless officers who left to Customs Agent then later ICE or DEA , etc none have them have ever came back and when I run into them they say what I say . I will close with one thought CBP could be something ,I don` think it ever will be more then a TSA function or you could say and airport rep at the ticket counter . Sevis anyone ? Parole ? TN ? TD, I 94, I68 ? Import ? Duty ? Or any of many other stamps !
        Last edited by dajob; 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM.

        Comment


        • P.S. Sorry about the statement of hiring. I spoke with someone else by phone and he said that number was way off. I thought I was giving hope to some here . Although he did confirm they really have lost a lot of people this fiscal year. I am really sorry as I thought the source was good.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dajob View Post
            BIZZARE at best . MERLIN you never cease to amaze me ! You can fool the newbies who have never worked at CBP. You can sing with the choir of a few here who are like you ! But it is hard to dispute what Managment said in a recent hearing about the service. True they misused Customs Service but it was clear they were speaking of CBP . As for you knocking the UNION they are the ones who got you the 11 ,LEO coverage and the 12 . CBP or Customs does not think of the officers as LEO . Off duty carry was awarded by arbitration . The Agency was brought to leo coverage kicking and screaming. And I could paste many quotes about how CBP places officers below air/marine , bp, etc .
            Without the UNION you would be TSA maybe TSA with guns which is close to what CBP actually is , however with the UNION CBP officers enjoy great pay ,leo status and more.
            I will state that the Union has to represent the whole and as such they do not push getting rid of the 99.999999 % customer service aspect of the job. As a great many officers do not want the job to change to an enforcement aspect. Some day I would love to meet you and spend a day at any PORT of your choice and observe what CBP does . Then I would like to take you for a ride along or even a day or so with an ICE S/A . I would love to take pictures and make a movie of JFK or any airport . I worked with countless officers who left to Customs Agent then later ICE or DEA , etc none have them have ever came back and when I run into them they say what I say . I will close with one thought CBP could be something ,I don` think it ever will be more then a TSA function or you could say and airport rep at the ticket counter . Sevis anyone ? Parole ? TN ? TD, I 94, I68 ? Import ? Duty ? Or any of many other stamps !
            I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree. As it was said before no one can ever bash you for your opinion of the agency, but all you ever go back to is stamping. I can respect the fact that you hate the agency and some of what you say about CBP is true, but you and I both know that you are twisting and misrepresenting the agency. KC has said that the agency is huge and its mission is diverse. Is there a customer service side of the job? Yup sure is. Is there intel ops? Yup, sure is. There's also SRT, Drug interdiction, human trafficking interdiction, immigration enforcement, weapons task force, Gang task force, officers assigned to JTTF and more. We have officers working with the Coast Guard, we have officers in Iraq and A-stan, and we even have officers working with FPS doing security surveys of federal facilities. You name it and it's available if you put in the time or effort. And if you want to stamp passports all day, you can do that too. I just find it interesting that you minimize the mission; however, I'm pretty sure you used some of that CBP experience to get your current job. You said you left CBP. Where did you go? What do you do?
            Last edited by qixfeet; 08-28-2010, 01:39 AM.
            Don't tase me bro!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dajob View Post
              BIZZARE at best . MERLIN you never cease to amaze me ! You can fool the newbies who have never worked at CBP. You can sing with the choir of a few here who are like you ! But it is hard to dispute what Managment said in a recent hearing about the service. True they misused Customs Service but it was clear they were speaking of CBP . As for you knocking the UNION they are the ones who got you the 11 ,LEO coverage and the 12 . CBP or Customs does not think of the officers as LEO . Off duty carry was awarded by arbitration . The Agency was brought to leo coverage kicking and screaming. And I could paste many quotes about how CBP places officers below air/marine , bp, etc .
              Without the UNION you would be TSA maybe TSA with guns which is close to what CBP actually is , however with the UNION CBP officers enjoy great pay ,leo status and more.
              I will state that the Union has to represent the whole and as such they do not push getting rid of the 99.999999 % customer service aspect of the job. As a great many officers do not want the job to change to an enforcement aspect. Some day I would love to meet you and spend a day at any PORT of your choice and observe what CBP does . Then I would like to take you for a ride along or even a day or so with an ICE S/A . I would love to take pictures and make a movie of JFK or any airport . I worked with countless officers who left to Customs Agent then later ICE or DEA , etc none have them have ever came back and when I run into them they say what I say . I will close with one thought CBP could be something ,I don` think it ever will be more then a TSA function or you could say and airport rep at the ticket counter . Sevis anyone ? Parole ? TN ? TD, I 94, I68 ? Import ? Duty ? Or any of many other stamps !
              Sheesh, Dajob...now it's NTEU that brought us 11's, "LEO coverage" and 12's?

              Let's see...here's how I recall things.

              Ray Kelly(you may need to Google the name) was pushing GS-11 journeyman and "6C" coverage for Customs Inspectors. That was back in the late 90's. When 11's finally came around(late 2002), Immigration Inspectors were upgraded at roughly the same time. (Was NTEU responsible for the II upgrades too? If they were...how generous of them. Especially considering that II's worked for a different agency(INS), under a different department(Justice) and represented by a different union(AFGE).)
              "LEO coverage"(which really never was LEO coverage, but 6C/12D coverage) came about through the action of Congress. While I'm sure NTEU had a part to play with it all, they were hardly the sole player.
              I'm not sure what the driving force was behind the 12 upgrades, but I do know that NTEU was blindsided with the announcement by management that the upgrades were coming. NTEU had no clue that those upgrades were approved. I'm amazed that they were able to jump on that bandwagon, considering how late they managed to get on board.

              As far as knocking the union..how so? What I said was simply the truth. NTEU/CBP looks out for NTEU/CBP first and foremost. Sometimes(as with the upgrades/12D coverage) what's good for them is good for most all of us. Often(see bid/rotation/AWS) what's good for them is good for many of us.

              As far as NTEU goes and the 'customer aspect' of the job...
              NTEU is a 'labor' union...not a 'LEO' union. Which is why NTEU pushes for things like pay grade upgrades, enhanced retirement and "6th day pay at FLETC". It's the typical union "I want money/benefits" outlook. NTEU really doesn't have the desire or mindset to push for the LE aspects of the job, IMO.
              Last edited by merlin436; 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

              Comment


              • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                Sheesh, Dajob...now it's NTEU that brought us 11's, "LEO coverage" and 12's?

                Let's see...here's how I recall things.

                Ray Kelly(you may need to Google the name) was pushing GS-11 journeyman and "6C" coverage for Customs Inspectors. That was back in the late 90's. When 11's finally came around(late 2002), Immigration Inspectors were upgraded at roughly the same time. (Was NTEU responsible for the II upgrades too? If they were...how generous of them. Especially considering that II's worked for a different agency(INS), under a different department(Justice) and represented by a different union(AFGE).)
                "LEO coverage"(which really never was LEO coverage, but 6C/12D coverage) came about through the action of Congress. While I'm sure NTEU had a part to play with it all, they were hardly the sole player.
                I'm not sure what the driving force was behind the 12 upgrades, but I do know that NTEU was blindsided with the announcement by management that the upgrades were coming. NTEU had no clue that those upgrades were approved. I'm amazed that they were able to jump on that bandwagon, considering how late they managed to get on board.

                As far as knocking the union..how so? What I said was simply the truth. NTEU/CBP looks out for NTEU/CBP first and foremost. Sometimes(as with the upgrades/12D coverage) what's good for them is good for most all of us. Often(see bid/rotation/AWS) what's good for them is good for many of us.

                As far as NTEU goes and the 'customer aspect' of the job...
                NTEU is a 'labor' union...not a 'LEO' union. Which is why NTEU pushes for things like pay grade upgrades, enhanced retirement and "6th day pay at FLETC". It's the typical union "I want money/benefits" outlook. NTEU really doesn't have the desire or mindset to push for the LE aspects of the job, IMO.

                Well said and accurate on all points. A few things to add to your reply... the 12's came out of DHS management, not NTEU. NTEU also didn't win crap for the off-duty carry. Some legacy Customs forget they never had arrest authority prior to the merger yet the II's did. The II's also had the authority from FAA to fly armed, and to carry and be considered law enforcement in the eyes of the State and therefore had off-duty carry. The off-duty carry, and arrest authority came from the II's which was a nice free gift for the Customs side of the house during the merger. Yet like many other things the NTEU can do no wrong and is the sole creator of everything good... lmao.

                Comment


                • edit:
                  clicked last post and brought me to some post back a few pages - oops. Question was asked/answered.
                  Last edited by Sytes; 08-28-2010, 11:13 AM.
                  Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

                  Comment


                  • Just thought I'd share: Had a Muster with our Port Director on the GS12 effective 29 August. On a side note, he said no hiring for three (3) years (2010 - 2012). Take it as you wish.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      Sheesh, Dajob...now it's NTEU that brought us 11's, "LEO coverage" and 12's?

                      Let's see...here's how I recall things.

                      Ray Kelly(you may need to Google the name) was pushing GS-11 journeyman and "6C" coverage for Customs Inspectors. That was back in the late 90's. When 11's finally came around(late 2002), Immigration Inspectors were upgraded at roughly the same time. (Was NTEU responsible for the II upgrades too? If they were...how generous of them. Especially considering that II's worked for a different agency(INS), under a different department(Justice) and represented by a different union(AFGE).)
                      "LEO coverage"(which really never was LEO coverage, but 6C/12D coverage) came about through the action of Congress. While I'm sure NTEU had a part to play with it all, they were hardly the sole player.
                      I'm not sure what the driving force was behind the 12 upgrades, but I do know that NTEU was blindsided with the announcement by management that the upgrades were coming. NTEU had no clue that those upgrades were approved. I'm amazed that they were able to jump on that bandwagon, considering how late they managed to get on board.

                      As far as knocking the union..how so? What I said was simply the truth. NTEU/CBP looks out for NTEU/CBP first and foremost. Sometimes(as with the upgrades/12D coverage) what's good for them is good for most all of us. Often(see bid/rotation/AWS) what's good for them is good for many of us.

                      As far as NTEU goes and the 'customer aspect' of the job...
                      NTEU is a 'labor' union...not a 'LEO' union. Which is why NTEU pushes for things like pay grade upgrades, enhanced retirement and "6th day pay at FLETC". It's the typical union "I want money/benefits" outlook. NTEU really doesn't have the desire or mindset to push for the LE aspects of the job, IMO.
                      As I recall, when the 11 Journeyman came in we were very close to being graded as a 12 at that time. That was of course when we were separate agencies (Customs) before the combination of the positions into the CBPO. Ray Kelly was the one who pushed this review; the union supported it after the fact. Since the merger and complexity of the job changed, CBP looked at the grade and decided that it should now be graded as a 12. The retirement had been in the works for a very long time, the union was for it, but it was not their idea. Actually NTEU insistence on including IRS employees in the LEO retirement kept it from passing until a separate amendment to the budget was written (without NTEU input).

                      If you care to go to NTEU page right now, they are more into being able to recruit TSA Screeners than talk about any CBP issues.

                      24 hour carry was in place long before the merger, NTEU had less to do with that than the DTO's did. They have however kept the new firearms policy from being put out; so I guess they have done something.
                      Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                        As I recall, when the 11 Journeyman came in we were very close to being graded as a 12 at that time. That was of course when we were separate agencies (Customs) before the combination of the positions into the CBPO. Ray Kelly was the one who pushed this review; the union supported it after the fact. Since the merger and complexity of the job changed, CBP looked at the grade and decided that it should now be graded as a 12. The retirement had been in the works for a very long time, the union was for it, but it was not their idea. Actually NTEU insistence on including IRS employees in the LEO retirement kept it from passing until a separate amendment to the budget was written (without NTEU input).

                        If you care to go to NTEU page right now, they are more into being able to recruit TSA Screeners than talk about any CBP issues.

                        24 hour carry was in place long before the merger, NTEU had less to do with that than the DTO's did. They have however kept the new firearms policy from being put out; so I guess they have done something.
                        Yeah, you can call that "something" alright. Basically again legacy Customs folks only out there to protect the legacy customs people who could barely shoot the 150 course of fire. The legacy II course was harder than the CBPO course at FLETC, yet the II's had no trouble shooting it, again they're just catering to a small minority of worthless officers and would rather dive bomb the standards of an entire LEO agency. Way to go NTEU, and thanks for looking out for "us" by making us worse shots!
                        Last edited by CBPO I; 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by GeauxForthTiger View Post
                          Jesus Christ... Everyone in Buffalo is passing left and right. Can I choose to retest there please? This is absurd how many people are failing elsewhere.
                          Hey!! you are right i have not seen someone else passing on another GEO location, that'w weird, lets go and re-take the test there, there is something wrong with that picture.........

                          But congratulations.......honestly

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sammax View Post
                            Hey!! you are right i have not seen someone else passing on another GEO location, that'w weird, lets go and re-take the test there, there is something wrong with that picture.........

                            But congratulations.......honestly
                            Maybe it's something in the water up here. Move to Buffalo?! There's an option.

                            Comment


                            • Yeah all the radiation and chemicals in the water...lol

                              Comment


                              • I'll also add that there are now hundreds(if not thousands) of CBP managers who just moved up from GS-12s to GS-13s. Ultimately, who knows how middle/upper level managers will be able to use the journeyman upgrades to springboard themselves into a higher pay-grade.

                                Management, at least at the lower levels, likely gained the most with these upgrades.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6757 users online. 352 members and 6405 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X