300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ossifer View Post
    Hi everyone. I have applied for BPA and and taking the test at the end of this month. As I have been reading this thread and others, I come across a lot of abbreviations that I'm unfamiliar with. Could anyone help me out?

Some of them are TSU, TO, FAMS, etc.

If there is another thread for abbreviations, please let me know. I looked around and didn't find any.

Thanks!
    TSU = Training and Scheduling Unit. This is where your file is sent while they wait for an Academy spot to open up for you. Essentially you have cleared all the hurdles and are just waiting for "the call".

TO = Tentative Offer. This is the piece of paper you get after you pass the written test (although in some cases people with lower passing scores don't receive one), and you have basically started the process.

FAMS = Federal Air Marshals. No explanation necessary.
    BPA EOD - 09/06/10

Comment

• I have been stopping by to read up on whats new and thought I put in my comments to share as well.

POLYGRAPH was completed on in April 2010, was placed in TSU June 2, 2010.

I have seen many people post about the polygraph, and compared to my experience, they are pretty much accurate in the procedure that others described.

The questions are created by your own responses and issues (if any) that was in your background. For me I passed.... but I was very nervous. If you never taken a poly, it will be an experience to remember. Do not search the internet on how to beat the poly, it will just mess you up more. The point is, if you have to hide something, this probably isnt the job you want.

Whether the poly is fair or not ......really the outcomes determines on how you reacted. I can speak for my case only.... for I FAILED a few questions he had ask me.

Why did it show deceiption???? My answer was simple and sincere. I told him after a while being accused of something from another examiner (A police department pyschologist failed me as a recuit becuase she said since I have been self employed for so long, there is no way I respect authority from above.), you begin to doubt yourself and becomes emotional. I told him to re-word it and see if my results were the same.

My problem question was "Do you have a problem with authority". I do not, but being self employed for 15 years since graduating from college, I never had to answer to anyone but myself. I gave orders...not take them, but it does not mean I do not know how follow orders from someone above. HE reworded it to read ....can you follow orders from supervisiors.

I passed.

Somethings just trigger emotions. And when that happens, you fail poly. You just need to explain it.

The other question I failed was "do you often lie to family and friends". Of course my mind begins to wander and I am thinking well, yeah but not like what YOU think. Its more of in the line of, how's the food??? I'm not going to tell my friend who made it that it tasted like crap. So the investigator was very understanding, and re worded... it then went something like " Do you lie to family or friends to be decietful... or something like that.

Anyways... I feel sorry for those who failed, and honestly I had tears filing up and nearly gave up when the examiner told me that a few questions had issues, but when I clarified, he was undertsanding and gave me a second chance by re-wording.

I passed.... good luck to those who are in line for one. I hope my post helps.
      Last edited by TheAlohaBoy; 08-15-2010, 08:57 AM.
      Test: Approx...April 2008 (Sooo Long ago I can't Remember!)
      TO: 3/09
      Forms: 4/09 - Completed
      QUAL: GS-5
      VBT 4/09-Passed
      Medical - 4/09 - Cleared 5/09
      Fitness - 4/09 - Passed
      Drug test - 4/09-Passed
      ===== A YEAR LATER =======
      BI - 9/2009 - CLEARED 5/2010
      POLY 4/2010 - Passed - Same Day Results
      TSU - 6/2/2010
      PORT: Honolulu, Hawaii

Comment

• anyone in here waiting on the MIAMI,FL LOCATIONS such as MIAMI airport and PORT OF MIAMI?

Comment

• Anybody knows if they will be hiring again anytime soon? I've heard they passed some bill that grants lots of money to the Homeland Security Department to hire a bunch of personnel within the southern border? Is this true or accurate at all?
          "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

BP Agent GEO: CA, SW Border.
          Written Test: 10/04/10
          NOR: 11/17/10 Passed(84%).
          TSL 1: 11/17/10
          OB: 03/01/11 Passed.
          Med/PTF1: 04/19/11 Passed
          TSL 2: 04/29/11.
          e-QIP: 05/08/11
          BI Interview: 07/26/11
          Drug test: 08/05/11
          Polygraph: 02/08/2012
          CBP Officer GEO: TX, SW Border.
          Written Test: 12/09/10
          NOR: 02/01/11 Passed(84%).
          TSL 1: 06/14/11
          PTF 1: 07/20/11Passed.
          VBT: 09/07/11 Passed

Comment

• From Merlin in the IEA Thread:

CBP has hired very few CBPOs over the last 18 months or so. My guess is that they're are/were using attrition to reach some sort of desired reduction in the overall numbers.
            That 39 million, as I see it, will go to replacing current jobs on the SWB that were formerly targeted to remain unfilled. The rest will go to fill new positions., or so is my take on things.

It may well actually cost more to bring in CBPOs than IEAs or SAs. IEAs and SAs are more fungible, as in that BPA training and IOBTC substitutes for the IEA academy and CIPT is pretty much universal amongst 1811s. There is nothing, including legacy INS/USCS training, that substitutes for the current CBPO academy. All CBPOs hired will attend CBPI academy, regardless of their background/experience.

As always Merlin, good points.

As far as your point regarding the reduction in staffing, the Senate's proposed FY11 budget states "Specifically, as detailed later in this report, the Committee recommends $20,000,000 to hire no fewer than 80 new CBP officers and $10,000,000 to hire the 62 CBP officers funded by the Congress in the fiscal year 2010 act but not hired due to overall CBP fee revenue shortfalls."

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...22&dbname=111&

Granted, this is just a proposal, however, "the 62 CBP officers funded by the Congress in the fiscal year 2010 act but not hired due to overall CBP fee revenue shortfalls" should be fairly concrete. The 62 unfilled from FY10, plus the proposed 80 for FY11, plus the 250 slots created by the recent bill means potentially 392 new positions between now and the end of FY11 in addition to filling any attrition slots that are open. Hopefully the Senate won't subtract the 62 and 80 from the 250 just created...

Comment

• Originally posted by pendingville View Post
              I'm going to use my super investigative skills and say that usmc0844 has been a "device used to introduce a stream of water into the female body for hygienic reasons" for a long time... Notice my post says to WA State applicants, so you should have stopped there. It also says Port of entry location and TO date, which neither khue or gsa85 had both of.

Why start @#$&? If you're that bored, don't wait until this weekend, down some moonshine and slap your sister around now you toothless hick! WTF?
              Actually, I do have both of it on my signature. But if you can't find it on there, well than there is something wrong with my profile. In any case, my POE is Washington Northern Border and my TO date is 4/09/09. I felt so honored that I was named in your dispute.
              Last edited by Khue; 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: Add.
              TO: 4/09/09
              Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
              TSU: 6/11/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Khue View Post
                Actually, I do have both of it on my signature. But if you can't find it on there, well than there is something wrong with my profile. In any case, my POE is Washington Northern Border and my TO date is 4/09/09. I felt so honored that I was named in your dispute.
                You do not have the specific WA location on your signature, at least I can't see anything other than WA State, which is why I asked. I wanted to see who is where in WA as there are 2 different locations. 1 being WA - All Others and the other is WA - Northern Border. Let's stop it there, please.

Anyways, it is clear to see that this endless waiting game is having a negatvie effect on some people's morale re: CBP, myself included. It's hard to concentrate on my current career when I'd much rather take a pay cut to join CBP, today... Like someone here said earlier, at least I'm staying in shape...

Comment

• IAMLIKEANIJA

Congradulations are due you ! Anybody who can keep applying like you and never gets the call at least shows the abilty to look the other way and keep on going .
                  I did hear through the grapevine that you may be taking the community college security [unarmed] position I think this will at least get you some expierience . Fixed it for ya . Best of luck to you !

Comment

• So yesterday I had the BPA test in DC. I've gotta say I thought it was a little easier than the CBPO test. No math involved. Although the artificial language test was a pain. Afterward I went over to CBP HQ at the Reagan building to meet a friend for some lunch. He is a senior program manager for OFO. He didn't have a whole lot of new info to give me other than the budget for OFO is starting to level off between the supplimentary funding from Congress and the fact that trade and travel are starting to pick up. However, the priority is still the southwest border. So that is good for guys who are waiting on that location.

He also mentioned about how this is an excellent time to join CBP because of how many managers are retiring of the next ten years. There will be huge vacancies in management which will give newbies a lot of upward mobility. So that was encouraging. It's always good to talk to guys who are in the know so you can make an educated decision on which agency you go with when the time comes.

PS: It was kinda funny walking around the offices and seeing these big tough agents and officers in their uniforms...sitting in a cubicle behind a desk. Haha.
                    Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM.
                    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• I just want to share with you what I have accomplished in the 3 years that I have been waiting for CBP...
                      CBPO
                      Written: 08/29/2007
                      EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• CMUnupe, hey have you heard anything yet??? my credit file got pulled three times in the last 7 weeks and the fbi called and wants to meet for more paper work? and go over a few things. what ever that means.

By fbi i mean a back ground investagator that said he was with the fbi.
                        Last edited by HPPD#48; 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• "Anyways, it is clear to see that this endless waiting game is having a negatvie effect on some people's morale re: CBP, myself included. It's hard to concentrate on my current career when I'd much rather take a pay cut to join CBP, today... Like someone here said earlier, at least I'm staying in shape... "

I am not picking on anybody I just want to point out that many hiring processes take a LONG TIME . I was in the process for my new job for two years . Once when applying for a local PD I spent a year and a half going through all the tests ,interviews ,background and then I waited . At the two year mark they told me nobody would be hired because the budget expired but I would be contacted as to what they were doing. At two years they said they would re new the list but to be considered I would have to have only one long interview in front of the committe , update background and psycologly exam. I HAD TO TRAVEL 180 miles round trip when they said three times to finnish. Again I was high on the list and they said they would take 9 candiates I was number 5. At two and half years they said the city charter mandated a new ad and list had to be complied and no hiring had or would be done yet. At 3 years plus I finnished the whole 9 month process. This time I was number 7 but they were hiring 15 . Somwehere around 4 years they told me a new Chief had been hired , a new Mayor was elected and they wanted to let the list expire. At 5 years they invited the top 25 candiates for and expidited hiring process I would have to go through everything again 180 miles round trip taking days off etc I declined.

Comment

• anti_troll_spray.jpg This might help
                            *****CBP Officer*****
                            Hot South Texas

Comment

• If spelling errors are any indication of that users intelligence in life, we're all screwed.

Comment

• Sorry wrong info.
                                Last edited by formerNOPD; 08-19-2010, 07:47 AM. Reason: later...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10246 users online. 375 members and 9871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X