Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if there is or when the break even point is concerning paying O/T or hiring new person. Figuring that out requires more detail than I am willing to research. Something that needs to be considered is the reason for the O/T. Is the O/T is primarily because people calling out sick or is it because a ship or plane routinely comes in after hours? The former is controllable while the latter is going to occur, no matter how many people are hired. With the O/T cap in place it does keep things interesting and makes it cheaper to pay the O/T. Considering a newly minted GS-5 makes 31k per year not including benefits and a GS-11 is maxed out in actual O/T earnings somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30K per year (depending on premium pays) it makes more sense. Using the assumption of 25-30k in actual O/T earnings and the GS-11 step 5 pay, a person would have to work between 33 and 40 hours per month in O/T to make that much evenly spread out throughout the year. A newly hired GS-5 or 7 really isn't usable for 8-10 months, depending on how fast they learn and since the first 5-6 months the person is in classroom training with another month or two of hands on field training to follow. So for the new hires to be useful they are going to be within a couple months of GS-7 or 9. Eventually many of those GS-5's and 7's will become GS-11's or 12's. The O/T doesn't get a substantial pay raise, the new hires do. Ideally management wants to keep all of the people who want O/T having O/T and those who don't want any O/T not working any. Having too much or not enough O/T can lead to a disgruntled workforce. If there is a shortfall of people willing then they should be looking for new people to hire. That can be an impossible tightrope to walk with an agency as large as this one.

I learned all of this when we (the workers) were complaining at a jail I worked. We had a lot of O/T and eventually the jail administrator came down and explained why they were not hiring any more CO's. He laid out the exact numbers and it made sense.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• I wonder if the cap really has any meaningful influence on OT spending, beyond possibly keeping those who want to work OT from working loads of it...and forcing those who want to work little to work more. If Officer 'Jones' would prefer to work 60 hour weeks and earn $60K in OT while Officer 'Smith' would prefer to work 45 hour weeks and earn $15K, what does the cap do beyond forcing them to both work 50 hour weeks making $30K in OT?

Ultimately, with an Agency as large and as diverse as this one, I suppose the cap does force some uniformity across the country. Otherwise we'd be seeing some people in some ports making 2.5K a year in OT while a 100 miles away people would be making 90K in another port. This really isn't a "one size fits all" agency...and any one method of doing something is not going to work equally well everywhere, and things like post-academy training are never going to be universal across-the-board.

Comment

• That is a good question about the O/T cap. After all the government makes the rules and the government provides the waivers. It's kind of like the fox guarding the hen house.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cman21 View Post
          I know some CBP officers that work at Newark Airport and they say that every year they max out their OT. I believe it's 35,000k.
          Some sectors have their own overtime cap. It can be mandated by upper management to set the cap at a lower level. Just a heads up.
          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Hello everyone, for those of you waitnig to get back on the TSU line after sending back the packet. How long is the average wait to get back in? I sent them back on 5/12 and CASS says all cleared except for Background
            Cheers.

Comment

• A friend of mine did some research on gov't agencies after I told him I was thinking of writing Sec. Napolitano about what the deal was with hiring. Anyway, what he found was among the 35 or so, DHS is one of the most financially mismanaged and backward ones as far as hiring goes. In other words, there's no real rhyme nor reason to any of it. I've called TSU numerous times this year, and each time its the same thing, "we're waiting for attrition" or "the econmy is slow" or "we haven't heard from HQ yet about hiring needs". Blaming the economy on slow hiring isn't a real reason in my opinion, potential criminals are still trying to hurt the US or smuggle people/contraband in.
              CBP written test Miami, FL
              11/10/2007
              NOR letter 01/16/2008
              VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
              Forms 6/2/2009 completed
              Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
              9/4/2009
              Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
              drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
              TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
              never got first)
              qualifications completed
              BI interview 9/30/2009
              BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
              poly: Mar 2011
              updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
              BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                Some sectors have their own overtime cap. It can be mandated by upper management to set the cap at a lower level. Just a heads up.
                In OFO world that is really difficult to do because of the labor contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                  A friend of mine did some research on gov't agencies after I told him I was thinking of writing Sec. Napolitano about what the deal was with hiring. Anyway, what he found was among the 35 or so, DHS is one of the most financially mismanaged and backward ones as far as hiring goes. In other words, there's no real rhyme nor reason to any of it. I've called TSU numerous times this year, and each time its the same thing, "we're waiting for attrition" or "the econmy is slow" or "we haven't heard from HQ yet about hiring needs". Blaming the economy on slow hiring isn't a real reason in my opinion, potential criminals are still trying to hurt the US or smuggle people/contraband in.
                  Yup criminals are still criminals and smuggling continues but if thier is no money to train and pay new employees should the government become a criminal and go rob a bank to pay its employees. The government still has to have funds to operate.

FB

Comment

• I dont have to go back to the academy since I would be a rehire. So since they dont have to spend money on me for a training class....why wouldnt they just give me the final call?

Comment

• My BI has been pending for 3 months since my credit update. What the heck. It's like they are holding people out of TSU to play with numbers for funding or something. My credit is perfect, how could it take this long to determine that?
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK
                      TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                      PE Forms - Completed
                      Fitness - Completed
                      VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                      Drug Screen - Completed
                      Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                      B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                      Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                      TSU

EOD: ???
                      FLETC: ???

Comment

• Man...i just recently mailed everything they need for the background. Its been only like a month. My credit is also perfect and nothing has change since....does it take this long to re-clear and put back into TSU? I just hope I would be cleared before they start calling again. I dont want to miss the boat like last year....ARGHHHH, this is getting a bit frustrating now...
                        TSU - 8/28/09
                        TO - 3/2009
                        On the job

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                          A friend of mine did some research on gov't agencies after I told him I was thinking of writing Sec. Napolitano about what the deal was with hiring. Anyway, what he found was among the 35 or so, DHS is one of the most financially mismanaged and backward ones as far as hiring goes. In other words, there's no real rhyme nor reason to any of it. I've called TSU numerous times this year, and each time its the same thing, "we're waiting for attrition" or "the econmy is slow" or "we haven't heard from HQ yet about hiring needs". Blaming the economy on slow hiring isn't a real reason in my opinion, potential criminals are still trying to hurt the US or smuggle people/contraband in.
                          I'll be the first to point out the mismanagement of DHS, but if you think this is bad, take a look a DOJ. Some of their agencies went through a phase where they couldn't hire for years. As for the folks doing the hiring, you have to realize that they have to wait for the word to start filling spots. The waiting for attrition line is most likely being fed to them from above. I think we would all agree that there has to be some changes to the way the gov't hires, but until then were stuck with what we have.
                          Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                            My BI has been pending for 3 months since my credit update. What the heck. It's like they are holding people out of TSU to play with numbers for funding or something. My credit is perfect, how could it take this long to determine that?
                            Hey Tuff, did you get new finger print and E-Qip forms also? I received my FCRA form and returned it. Everything updated except for BI, which said in the security office. Two days ago, forms and BI went back to forms not received. I called to see what was going on and they advised me that my credit cleared, but I had a FedEx in route to update finger prints and E-Qip (Don't think my fingerprints changed in the last year!)
                            CBPO East Texas
                            TO: 3/3/09
                            Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
                            Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
                            Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
                            VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
                            Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
                            Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
                            BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
                            TSU: 8/27/09
                            FCRA: 05/19/10
                            BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• USMC,

This is what I had to go through from that Fedex package, 3 sets of finger prints, you'll end up doing the FCRA again, SF86, and all other bunch of fun stuff...
                              TSU - 8/28/09
                              TO - 3/2009
                              On the job

Comment

• So, no problem. I refreshed this years forms. Met with this years B.I. guy. He has met with the usual suspects (neighbors, bosses, acquaintances) . Now I wonder, shall I expect my third medical and third physical ability test?

Stay Tuned. The Quest Continues.

T-
                                Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                                Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4025 users online. 249 members and 3776 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X