Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rob104 View Post
    BI Clearance

Has it taken longer than 6 months for anyones BI to clear? If it does take longer than 6 months and you have a clean background, what might the hold up be ? Are you typically notified if there are issues with your BI or is no news good news ?
    +1. I'd definitely like everyone's opinion on this. I'm starting to worry, and I might be getting laid off, so I REALLY need this CBPO job to come through.
    ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
    Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
    March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
    July 09 Oral Board
    Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
    Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
      +1. I'd definitely like everyone's opinion on this. I'm starting to worry, and I might be getting laid off, so I REALLY need this CBPO job to come through.
      From what I here you can still get "The Call" without your BI clearing (as an interm). I don't know how this is determined.

jrq16

Comment

• The PT is great. The DT is fun. If you are not in shape and cant run a mile or mile and a half with out walking, then you are not ready to come out to FLETC. The instructors are great and they all love to run. Its also tough to run if you are not used to the heat and humidity. Get in shape now so youll wont be dying out here. THe gym facilities are probably better than a 24 hr or ballys. Trainers and doctors on stand by. Its just a great atmosphere if your willing and serious to get into shape.

As far as DT, coming for a LE point of view, take it seriously. They teach you basic techniques. Plus its 2 hours of the day where you can relieve stress. lol

You dont want to be that FAT CBPO stampin away at Pass Ports at an airport or having to turn sideways to get out of your vehicle primary booth. lol

As far as the Spanish, I read some posts about whats up with learning spanish. Once you get real near graduation youll find out when exactly youll be going to Charleston South Carolina for Spanish. The spanish was taught here but for some reason was moved to Charleston South Carolina.

I hope this posts answers some questions. To the rest out there who are willing and waiting, just keep waiting and dont worry you WILL be called. My process took almost 10 months start to finish.
        What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• I got the call!!!

Well... after waiting for over a year, I got the call.
          Just wanted to say for those who are still waiting..... be PATIENT it will happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
            Spanish is dependent on certain location. I believe the locations are Southern Cali, Parts of TX, and FL. But I could be wrong.
            Sorry i should have made it more clear i have a tentative offer for AZ, so im pretty sure i need to know spanish. Again im thinking bout getting roseta stone (or some other language learner) so i can spend 3 months in FLETC, instead of 5, but not sure because roseta stone is $500 dollars, and im not 100 % sure it will teach me all i need to know.

Another question. When they say FLETC is 3 months ( 5 months if you have to learn spanish) is that time frame true? or is it usually longer? I know there will be special occassions that will cause people to be there longer, but in general for the norm is it 3 months (5 to learn spanish)???

thanks again for the info

Comment

• Originally posted by C*LOS View Post
              Well... after waiting for over a year, I got the call.
              Just wanted to say for those who are still waiting..... be PATIENT it will happen.
              Why did it take so long for you? What was your holdup? Good Luck to you.

jrq16

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
                The PT is great. The DT is fun. If you are not in shape and cant run a mile or mile and a half with out walking, then you are not ready to come out to FLETC. The instructors are great and they all love to run. Its also tough to run if you are not used to the heat and humidity. Get in shape now so youll wont be dying out here. THe gym facilities are probably better than a 24 hr or ballys. Trainers and doctors on stand by. Its just a great atmosphere if your willing and serious to get into shape.

As far as DT, coming for a LE point of view, take it seriously. They teach you basic techniques. Plus its 2 hours of the day where you can relieve stress. lol

You dont want to be that FAT CBPO stampin away at Pass Ports at an airport or having to turn sideways to get out of your vehicle primary booth. lol

As far as the Spanish, I read some posts about whats up with learning spanish. Once you get real near graduation youll find out when exactly youll be going to Charleston South Carolina for Spanish. The spanish was taught here but for some reason was moved to Charleston South Carolina.

I hope this posts answers some questions. To the rest out there who are willing and waiting, just keep waiting and dont worry you WILL be called. My process took almost 10 months start to finish.

About the spanish, are you saying it will be 3 months for normal FLETC in Georgia, and then 2 months in FLETC (in south carolina) for spanish?? Just curious,

as my other posts state im thinking about getting roseta stone to help me learn spanish while my CBPO stuff is cleared, I barely got my TO in early may so i have awhile to go, and if i get dqed for some reason i would still learn spanish from roseta stone which will help me in my day to day life (i live in az). In your opinion would a language learner teach you enough to pass whatever test they give you?

Comment

• Originally posted by tc05sti View Post
                  How hard would it be for a cbpo (well say gs-9 or 11) to go to an ice 1811 position down the road?
                  You will still have to jump through hoops like everyone else. The only difference is you will have a leg up at FLETC because you already have the customs and immigration background. Depending on what port you get you may work closely with ICE agents. That may help you as far as networking and meeting some people with a little influence.
                  Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Background

Deleted....
                    Last edited by Saladine; 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saladine View Post
                      Well, I am a Nov. 07 tester (Florida Ports, not Miami) and I have completed all the steps except the BI and the drug test. Everything else is completed. I don't know why I haven't been contacted to do my drug test yet. This happen to anyone else!? Also, I passed my medical about three weeks ago so I assume that this is when they started my background since they state the background will not start until the medical clears. However, I met with my background investigator today. ( A different investigator called me about 2 weeks ago and said he was doing part of my investgation since I got a speeding ticket in Florida and he lived in Florida. So I guess I have two investigators doing my background.) I was nervous when the investigator came to my house, but I don't even know why because all we did was go over things I already filled out. He even showed me a copy of my credit report which was perfect. Anyway, I asked him approximately how long it would take for him to finish my background and he told me he would be finished in three days. He actually told me that he HAD to have it done in three days...that they are under time restraints. Does anyone know why it takes 6 months to clear a background if it only takes 3 days to do!?

Thanks
                      Your drug test can happen at any time. It'd be easy to beat it if you knew when it would happen.

The process is pretty random. I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't match the order that's advertised.

As far as BI's go, the investigation doesn't take very long. Mine was done in February. What can take a long time is the "review" process. I just got a certified letter in the mail today saying that I am unsuitable for duty. Unless I can come up with a reasonable and convincing statement concerning the negative issue in my background, I won't be hired. I'd don't want to go into details so don't ask. The person I spoke with was in DC, so it seems like Minneapolis is basically the central location for all of your info. You have to be signed off by people in different offices, sometimes in different parts of the country.

On a side note, has anyone here gotten the unfit for duty letter? If so, were you able to convince them otherwise, or is it more of a formality?
                      ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                      Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                      March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                      July 09 Oral Board
                      Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                      Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• My offer letter says I was hired in at GS-5 Step 10 due to previous employment with the Postal Service. What happens when you move up to GS-7, since the pay rate for GS-7/1 is several thousand lower than GS-5/10?
                        CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• Originally posted by Saladine View Post
                          Well, I am a Nov. 07 tester (Florida Ports, not Miami) and I have completed all the steps except the BI and the drug test. Everything else is completed. I don't know why I haven't been contacted to do my drug test yet. This happen to anyone else!? Also, I passed my medical about three weeks ago so I assume that this is when they started my background since they state the background will not start until the medical clears. However, I met with my background investigator today. ( A different investigator called me about 2 weeks ago and said he was doing part of my investgation since I got a speeding ticket in Florida and he lived in Florida. So I guess I have two investigators doing my background.) I was nervous when the investigator came to my house, but I don't even know why because all we did was go over things I already filled out. He even showed me a copy of my credit report which was perfect. Anyway, I asked him approximately how long it would take for him to finish my background and he told me he would be finished in three days. He actually told me that he HAD to have it done in three days...that they are under time restraints. Does anyone know why it takes 6 months to clear a background if it only takes 3 days to do!?

Thanks
                          The BI has to be adjudicated to see if your suitable for employment. Thats what takes the most time.

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                            Your drug test can happen at any time. It'd be easy to beat it if you knew when it would happen.

The process is pretty random. I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't match the order that's advertised.

As far as BI's go, the investigation doesn't take very long. Mine was done in February. What can take a long time is the "review" process. I just got a certified letter in the mail today saying that I am unsuitable for duty. Unless I can come up with a reasonable and convincing statement concerning the negative issue in my background, I won't be hired. I'd don't want to go into details so don't ask. The person I spoke with was in DC, so it seems like Minneapolis is basically the central location for all of your info. You have to be signed off by people in different offices, sometimes in different parts of the country.

On a side note, has anyone here gotten the unfit for duty letter? If so, were you able to convince them otherwise, or is it more of a formality?
                            You receive a NOPA (notice of proposed action) to find you unsuitable for employment. You will have no chance to beat it if you don't respond. Your best bet is to draft up a well written response that both addressed the issues and how you have learned from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HokieBird View Post
                              My offer letter says I was hired in at GS-5 Step 10 due to previous employment with the Postal Service. What happens when you move up to GS-7, since the pay rate for GS-7/1 is several thousand lower than GS-5/10?
                              Look at the GS7 scale and find the pay rate that closes matches GS5 step 10, and then add two steps to that, and that will be your pay rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goosell View Post
                                About the spanish, are you saying it will be 3 months for normal FLETC in Georgia, and then 2 months in FLETC (in south carolina) for spanish?? Just curious,

as my other posts state im thinking about getting roseta stone to help me learn spanish while my CBPO stuff is cleared, I barely got my TO in early may so i have awhile to go, and if i get dqed for some reason i would still learn spanish from roseta stone which will help me in my day to day life (i live in az). In your opinion would a language learner teach you enough to pass whatever test they give you?
                                In my opinion, probably not.
                                I'd save my money.

Are you/Do you know a DoD or ICE employee? They have free access to Rosetta Stone through work. I'd look into possibly sharing access with them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6587 users online. 306 members and 6281 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X