Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of any new hirings in the Buffallo area lately?
    What score are they by?
    Are they sending TO's or have they slow down?

Comment

• Originally posted by dmgritte View Post
      Merlin,

So your saying since the new retirement does not start till July, since my TO is older, i could be forced under the old retirement.

I dont know if i'll stay with CBP my entire career, i'd like to move into a special agent position in a few years.

I guess my question is am i totally stepping on my own feet if i change my GEO in the process not as much in the retirement?
      No. I'm saying that (arguably), because of your current TO, you will most likely be under the old retirement rules regarding mandatory retire age. Which means there is none.
      Let me clarify; everyone with a TO issued on or after 07/06 will likely face a mandatory retirement age(either 57 or 60, depending on how things play out), anyone with a TO issued before 07/06 MIGHT(probably will) not face a mandatory retirement age.

I've thought of a possible larger issue for you though. Supposedly there's a new announcement coming out somewhere around 06/30.
      It is quite possible that, because of the new retirement and mandatory retire age, come sometime before 07/06 the old tests will be canceled and everyone without a current TO will be dropped out and they'll need to retest under the new rules...if they're still eligible.

If it was me with a TO, I'd hold off on giving it up until after the new retirement rolls in.
      Last edited by merlin436; 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Buffalo is at least down to 95 for the latest test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goosell View Post
          Hi, i thought i read that if you didnt kow spanish you have to spend 5 months at FLETC instead of 3to learn it, now im looking on cbp.gov and cant find that info anywhere, i found it for BA but not CPBO. Im pretty sure you need spanish for both correct? If so it is 5 months at FLETC instead of 3 ???

Another thing i live in AZ and half the people dont speak english anyways and its frustrating in day to day life so for awhile ive been thinking of doing Roseata stone or some sort of other language learner, would you recommend something like this so i can spend 2 less months at FLETC
          You'll need to stay for Spanish IF you're going to a southern border/Florida port. Interior/northern border ports do not require it. I think it's a 6 week program. Unless you're rather gifted in language skills, I doubt a person could easily learn enough spanish through RS or something similar to bring him to the level needed to test out. It won't hurt to try though.

Comment

• That's my thought as well, i've waiting to long and want to start my FLEO career to bad to go messing up a good/moving thing.

I mean who knows how much longer the BI will take but i know they have met with everyone and have submitted my paperwork.

I think i can suck it up work at my GEO for 2 years then hopefully transfer or get picked up as a S/A somewhere as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
              Hi,

My wife has a friend who's husband is currently at FLETC. Now, he already completed his 4 month stint, but he had to return for another 6 weeks because he didn't pass the spanish exam. Well, he already completed those 6 weeks, but he's now on his way back to FLETC for a third time for another 8 weeks. Hs wife doesn't seem to understand why he has to go back again for another 8 weeks. Is it normal that you would have to keep going back to FLETC before you have even begun working at your port of duty?
              Sounds plausible.

Which port is he at and what program is he going back for?

Comment

• Well, I've never met him so I'm not sure what program he went for. But I do know that he is scheduled to work in a Miami port.

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
                  Well, I've never met him so I'm not sure what program he went for. But I do know that he is scheduled to work in a Miami port.
                  Well...without knowing all the particulars, it sounds possible. It wouldn't be the first time someone showed up at a port only to be sent off for more training. Eight weeks sounds a bit long though, I wonder what's going on that requires an additional 8 weeks of training for a new hire?

Comment

• Thats what I was wondering?

Comment

• Thanks for all the help and answers guys. Got the call today. Best of luck to all of you.
                      ___
                      CBP
                      Written: 10/31/07
                      NOR Written: 11/05/07 "99" No pref - GS 5 & 7
                      Selection Letter: 01/20/08 GS-7 "New Jersey TBD"
                      Package: 01/23/08 Completed and returned
                      Medical: Completed
                      Fitness: 02/12/08 Passed
                      VBT: 03/24/08 Passed
                      BI: Completed
                      Qualified for GS 7
                      Drug Test: Scheduled 04/10/08
                      "The Call" 06/18/08 EWR
                      EOD 07/07/08
                      FLETC 07/28/08

Comment

• Originally posted by Goosell View Post
                        Hi, i thought i read that if you didnt kow spanish you have to spend 5 months at FLETC instead of 3to learn it, now im looking on cbp.gov and cant find that info anywhere, i found it for BA but not CPBO. Im pretty sure you need spanish for both correct? If so it is 5 months at FLETC instead of 3 ???

Another thing i live in AZ and half the people dont speak english anyways and its frustrating in day to day life so for awhile ive been thinking of doing Roseata stone or some sort of other language learner, would you recommend something like this so i can spend 2 less months at FLETC
                        Spanish is dependent on certain location. I believe the locations are Southern Cali, Parts of TX, and FL. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• How hard would it be for a cbpo (well say gs-9 or 11) to go to an ice 1811 position down the road?

Comment

• Originally posted by EWRTSO View Post
                            Thanks for all the help and answers guys. Got the call today. Best of luck to all of you.
                            When did your Quals and BI complete and what time did they call? Best of luck to you.

jrq16
                            Last edited by jrq16; 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM. Reason: added

Comment

• dmgritte,

In 10 days it'll be 6 months since I met with my BI, and they began calling people I know a month before that...and I still am waiting for them to clear it... Good Luck on your waiting time, maybe they wont take as long with yours
                              CBPO
                              Written: 08/29/2007
                              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• BI Clearance

Has it taken longer than 6 months for anyones BI to clear? If it does take longer than 6 months and you have a clean background, what might the hold up be ? Are you typically notified if there are issues with your BI or is no news good news ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12669 users online. 428 members and 12241 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X