Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    Does anyone know if current feds with active security clearance need to go through the magic box also?
    From what I understand security clearances (including specific aspects of the clearance process) are almost never transferable unless your moving to a different position in your agency. However, I have read articles stating that eventually everyone in DHS will have a "DHS clearance" (as opposed to a CBP clearance or ICE clearance) making interagency lateral mobility within the department much easier.

    I have heard with some accuracy that, although it doesn't make you exemp from othe clearances, having an active and up-to-date security clearance makes getting another fed job exponentially easier.
    Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM.
    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
      From what I understand security clearances are almost never transferable unless your moving to a different position in your agency. However, I have read articles stating that eventually everyone in DHS will have a "DHS clearance" (as opposed to a CBP clearance or ICE clearance) making interagency lateral mobility within the department much easier.
      Ok, assuming that is true: what happens if a current ICE agent wants to transfer to CBPO and has to take another poly. If he fails that poly, does he not only not get the new job but also loses his current one?
      Current 1811

      Comment


      • lol

        Originally posted by koalica View Post
        had i been pregnant, I would have given birth to a TSU baby today.


        Happy 9 monthiversary to me

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
          Ok, assuming that is true: what happens if a current ICE agent wants to transfer to CBPO and has to take another poly. If he fails that poly, does he not only not get the new job but also loses his current one?
          That's a good question. I do not know the answer for sure, but from a legal standpoint I can't imagine an agency firing an employee for failing another agency's poly. I wonder if there is any precedent for it.

          Also, it's important to consider that each agency does it's own background investigation essentially because they don't trust the evalutations of other agencies (to put it crudely). So one could assume a polygrapher from Secret Service, for example, does not trust a polygrapher from CBP.
          Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM.
          "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
            I honestly do not think we will get TO's before the eligibility runs out in December. I think they will just tell us to reapply in 2-3 years when another announcement opens. Waited 15 months since test, what a shame...

            I can't speak for other ports, but I know that some guys have been in TSU for over a year for Buffalo. I have friends at the port that said they are still overhired by about 15-20 guys. Do the math, it doesn't look good.
            I would like to know if you turn 35 before they call you will the considered at 36? just asking

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cby View Post
              I would like to know if you turn 35 before they call you will the considered at 36? just asking
              The maximum age is 37, so if you're 35 right now you should be ok, assuming they start hiring within 2 years. You can always get another federal job first (like Bureau of Prisons) to buy yourself more time. If you're a current fed, age doesn't matter.
              Current 1811

              Comment


              • Thanks .. Keep getting those NOR's They asked me to choose between Erie and Greater Philadephia anyone for these GEO

                Comment


                • what's the email address of someone I can send a message to asking why my CASS hasn't updated in over 2 months.

                  A few months ago I got those credit check renewal forms in the mail. I sent them in, and my CASS went from being in TSU to having Background and and Quals (i think) back to pending. The forms went in and my Background still says its in the office.

                  I generally don't make it a habit of calling or emailing any agency for stuff like this, but this is ridiculous.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                    From what I understand security clearances (including specific aspects of the clearance process) are almost never transferable unless your moving to a different position in your agency. However, I have read articles stating that eventually everyone in DHS will have a "DHS clearance" (as opposed to a CBP clearance or ICE clearance) making interagency lateral mobility within the department much easier.

                    I have heard with some accuracy that, although it doesn't make you exemp from othe clearances, having an active and up-to-date security clearance makes getting another fed job exponentially easier.
                    Actually the law and regulations prohibit duplicating BI's. With that stated, often an agency will require specific questions to be asked. By requiring those questions they effectively negate the federal law. Often the questions are irrelevant or request information covered by other questions but not worded the same. The other issue is time. Often if an agency requests a BI from another agency it takes as long to receive that investigation as it would take to complete a new one. Since frequently when the government does decide to hire, they need to do it government quick, it is faster to just complete a new investigation rather than waiting for the old one, only to discover more information must be obtained. If the same office completes the BI like, CBP IA, then using that investigation for more than one position is easier and can be done without any issues. This is often done when going from BPA to CBPO.
                    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                    For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
                      That's a good question. I do not know the answer for sure, but from a legal standpoint I can't imagine an agency firing an employee for failing another agency's poly. I wonder if there is any precedent for it.

                      Also, it's important to consider that each agency does it's own background investigation essentially because they don't trust the evalutations of other agencies (to put it crudely). So one could assume a polygrapher from Secret Service, for example, does not trust a polygrapher from CBP.
                      Yes there is...
                      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...fficer07m.html


                      Still waiting in TSU and will be in year in TSU in June for WA northern border...
                      _____________
                      CBPO - Washington Northern Border
                      Test: 2/27/2009
                      NOR: 3/09/09 (81% w/o vet.)
                      TO: 4/09/09
                      Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                      TSU: 6/11/09

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
                        The maximum age is 37, so if you're 35 right now you should be ok, assuming they start hiring within 2 years. You can always get another federal job first (like Bureau of Prisons) to buy yourself more time. If you're a current fed, age doesn't matter.

                        The rule is by your 37th birthday so once you turn 37 you are done. Being a current federal employee does not cut it by itself; you must be in a covered federal position.

                        FB

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                          The rule is by your 37th birthday so once you turn 37 you are done. Being a current federal employee does not cut it by itself; you must be in a covered federal position.

                          FB
                          Veterans.
                          Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                          Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by davidB. View Post
                            what's the email address of someone I can send a message to asking why my CASS hasn't updated in over 2 months.

                            A few months ago I got those credit check renewal forms in the mail. I sent them in, and my CASS went from being in TSU to having Background and and Quals (i think) back to pending. The forms went in and my Background still says its in the office.

                            I generally don't make it a habit of calling or emailing any agency for stuff like this, but this is ridiculous.
                            Hang tight Dave. You're not alone. I've got the same thing going on with my app. Who knows what they're planning for us, but at least it's nor unique to any of us waiting.

                            Maybe they want us poly'd, maybe they don't have us high priority since no calls are coming. I stoped tryin to guess what's going on.
                            Geo: Illinois
                            Test Score: 94
                            Quals: GS-7
                            T.O.: 8/7/2007
                            Referred to Schedule EOD

                            "Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Thek9 View Post
                              Veterans.
                              Veterans are a whole different story. I have had no direct experience with a veteran that is over the age. However, I have heard through anecdotal story's that the a veteran over the age has had to fight to get the agency to honor the law to the extent of the VA having to get involved.

                              FB

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                                Veterans are a whole different story. I have had no direct experience with a veteran that is over the age. However, I have heard through anecdotal story's that the a veteran over the age has had to fight to get the agency to honor the law to the extent of the VA having to get involved.

                                FB
                                Yes the vet preference eligibles had to fight for their rights, but not to long ago OPM issued a directive that properly applied the preference. Even the FBI has changed their policy (at least on thier website). Any agency not following the policy must clearly show where age is an issue for employment. The MSPB showed their hand a little in how they will rule if the issue comes up again when they stated, DSS has agents who are performing the job satisfactorily who are over the age of 37, so the 37 year old cut off is clearly not a requirement of the job. I think the MSPB was thiniking the age requirement would be something along the lines of a child playing a part in a commercial. If the commercial is about using a child seat and the agency wanted to show a child in the child seat, clearly a person with veterans preferene could not do the job.
                                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                                For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 2901 users online. 194 members and 2707 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X