Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, stated KC. The polygraph is an investigative tool, subject to interpretation.
    Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
    Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
      They're actually moving to polygraphing all new hires. The agency tried to make it applicable to all current cbpo's during their periodical backgrounds but the union fought it and won. The person that runs the internal affairs section of CBP is an ex-secret service agent who back in 2009 made a speech at a CBP conference saying how polygraph's are the best thing in the world. He went on to say he had already doubled number of polygraphers and he intended on expanding the program even more. He mentioned then how he intended on polygraphing all new hires, any officer taking an overseas assignment, and basically any CBPO whenever they feel like it. Let's just say his little crusade got stepped on pretty quickly. For new hires, well anything goes and he's pretty much got full reign on that arena.

That's interesting that they focus on new hires as I've been waiting for 2 years....But guess since I have not been contacted by TSU. The only thing according to CASS is pending is my BI. Everything else was completed over a year ago. Just odd! Could never tell with US Govt!!! Poof!

Comment

• KC you nailed it. I agree with you 110%
        TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• Polygraph testing....

I don't know guys/gals..... I was somewhat surprised when I got my call for a polygraph test. The special agent told me they are moving 100% - he did not specify new hire or existing. He said all applicants. Now, while I cleared mine, there are quite a few things to think about if you get called so BE READY to explain yourself if you think you may have tweaked something on your app.

Just giving you the heads up because they will touch basis on everything!

If you fail, you're automatically out of the hiring process - rather you hear that now than to be surprised like I was! Fortunately, I passed!

I live in South FL and he came all the way from DC so you know this meant serious business!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
            Note to self....buy stock in polygraph company.
            Haha-Too true! Openly I got a chuckle from that though realistically - I am checking my sharebuilder account.

I agree with Merlin. If Poly's help weed out the criminal units attempting to enter CBP and (or) simply those found to hold ethical conflicts - more power to another tool in "pruning" the crap from the good.
            To those anticipating Polys - You know your own integrity - to those confident in your level of integrity, hold yourself confident and focused during your screening - you will do just fine!
            Best of success to you (you know who you are).

Polys are a bit uncomfortable... though picture it this way - if you have been honest, and confident in yourself - YOU WILL PRESENT a different result than those (for the most part) who maybe fudged info or actually have a history they feel concerned with.
            Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Nothing wrong with culling out the "rotten" applicants...assuming that is indeed what the poly accomplishes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/us/12border.html
              Except that the polygraph does not do that. All it will do is weed people out. Studies have shown that a small amount of dishonest people pass and an even larger amount of good people have false positives.

Will it weed out criminals? Maybe. Honest people? Yes. Let criminals and pathological liars slip by? Absolutely.

My buddy is a state policeman and he said the polygraph is the biggest joke going. Unfortunately, it WILL weed out some honest people in the process. I truly feel bad for those people. This is why it is illegal to use in the private and public sector- it has been proven invalid (does not measure truthfulness, only someone's physiological response). Everyone has a different response and there is no accurate way to measure truthfulness.

All I can see this doing is giving a few of the "suits" a false sense that the hiring process is better... which it is unfortunately not. If anything, it will make it worse because they will lose good applicants and possibly lead to investigators slacking on BG checks.

Never, ever, ever take one for any other reason in your life other than this hiring process.
              Current 1811

Comment

• They don't have the resources to poly 100% of applicants...

Comment

• I disagree Yankee. I am sure all the other federal agencies who do use polygraphs as a tool - not as the only tool though as a tool... have shown many years of success... such as FBI, DEA, USSS. There practically is no SA positions that do not require (and have not required) a polygraph.

I would simply agree to disagree with your opinion polys weed out more good than bad.
                  Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• I'll throw my 2 cents in really quick. I've worked everything from corrections to road patrol and in college I worked as a civilian for a police department. I have worked on the county, state, and federal level. I have a very clean record with nothing to hide. I've taken multiple polygraphs (5 to be exact) for different jobs in which some I did not end up taking (for personal and money reasons). I passed them all. However, my last polygraph came up inconclusive (just after I became a cop... I was trying to go to another department) and they used it against me to 'weed' me. Talk about shocker?! Regardless, polygraphs work and sometimes they don't. You have to weight the pros and cons. Will it probably weed out more bad then good? I would say yes. Is it 100% accurate? No, or it would be admissible in all courts. Don't stress about the polygraph guys. If you were honest then go with what you have said and you'll be fine. All they are looking for is consistency and your body's reaction. Don't sweat it.

Comment

• Well if anyone is going to be 'weeded' then I hope they actually did use 'weed' and aren't falsely accused (haha).

Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't want to play roulette with my career on an inconsistent, unreliable machine when I don't have to. Thankfully, it looks like I will get an ICE offer first and they don't polygraph. Good luck to everyone though.
                      Current 1811

Comment

• how long does the cbp process normally take? Does anyone know if there's a freeze or there not hiring as many people right now?

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post
                          Don't sweat it.
                          This is good advice. If you start sweating you will show deceit.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                            This is good advice. If you start sweating you will show deceit.
                            lol, you got me. I'll give you that one

And yankee fan... the only thing I can say is... Just accept the fact you may have to take a polygraph test. It's 3-5 hours of crap but once it's done you'll be one step closer to the job you want. Stressing yourself out now or worrying about being DQ'd is just a waste of time. I agree that some people are unfairly DQ'd but everything happens for a reason. I didn't get that cool neat state job but turns out they just laid guys off and I'm in a position making 10/hr more then when I was a cop. Life is strange but everything works out for a reason.

Comment

• I'm no expert on polygraphs.

From what little I do know of them, I'd say they're marginally more effective in "taking out the trash" than most alternatives.

The fact that they also screen out many 'innocent' people, while unfair and unfortunate, really means nothing...if the sole focus is about bringing in 'better' people. While it's likely a cold-hearted way of going about things, if an agency can poly through thousands of applicants to fill hundreds of openings...there's a good chance that's exactly what they'll do.

Comment

• Point being, just be honest. Thats all you can do. I personally feel that they are just as good as who administers them and interprets your answers. I have taken some and passed all. But there was some inconclusive ones just because i was so dang nervous.
                                TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6570 users online. 380 members and 6190 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X