300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
    Coming up on 1 year in TSU... and a year and a half since I took the test for a listed "Dire Needs Port" ... what a waste this has all been. The way things were going when I was taking all the tests, drug test, physical, medical, background... things were moving along and kept friends and family informed of my possible career in CBP. Now, a year later, everyone thinks I'm full of s***. I think it's time to move on. I thought I was applying to a professional agency, not an agency that re-opens announcements and says we need people at this "Dire Needs Port" and then we just sit here... and are expected to behave indefinitely. I work my butt off at my current job and have began applying at other agencies. My credit is suffering a bit and I'm sure at this point I'll probably be rejected in my next credit check. I work 2 jobs actually... and trying to pay off student loans as well... wouldn't that just be a kick in the face if I get rejected during the next credit check for not being able to keep my head above water even though I'm more than willing to work hard and give it all I had... although now... I just can't help but feel a little betrayed or misled.
    We all hear you, Beck. I'm sure most of us thought we'd have the job by now. I think the key at this point is to put CBP on the back burner and move on with life. There's nothing we can do at this point so there is no use stressing over it. It took me 10 months in TSU to finally feel this way. Hopefully we'll get the call when we are least expecting it.
    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
      I am about 19 days away from my 1 year in TSU and have not had to update anything so far. Is that wierd?
      Not sure what's out of the ordinary with the process anymore. They seem to be taking their time redoing the credit checks now, thats for sure. Got my credit alert on 4/8/2009 thats US Customs pulled my credit. A month later still no movement.

But then again.. what does being in TSU really help at this point. Not like they are making calls to the midwest right now.
      Geo: Illinois
      Test Score: 94
      Quals: GS-7
      T.O.: 8/7/2007
      Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

Coming up on 1 year in TSU... and a year and a half since I took the test for a listed "Dire Needs Port" ... what a waste this has all been. The way things were going when I was taking all the tests, drug test, physical, medical, background... things were moving along and kept friends and family informed of my possible career in CBP. Now, a year later, everyone thinks I'm full of s***. I think it's time to move on. I thought I was applying to a professional agency, not an agency that re-opens announcements and says we need people at this "Dire Needs Port" and then we just sit here... and are expected to behave indefinitely. I work my butt off at my current job and have began applying at other agencies. My credit is suffering a bit and I'm sure at this point I'll probably be rejected in my next credit check. I work 2 jobs actually... and trying to pay off student loans as well... wouldn't that just be a kick in the face if I get rejected during the next credit check for not being able to keep my head above water even though I'm more than willing to work hard and give it all I had... although now... I just can't help but feel a little betrayed or misled.
        Beck,

I totally agree with you. CASS told us all 30 to 60 days and for most it has been 365+. Oh, and before all the 1000+ lurkers post their BS, the bottom line is they did mislead us.

Comment

I work my butt off at my current job and have began applying at other agencies. My credit is suffering a bit and I'm sure at this point I'll probably be rejected in my next credit check. I work 2 jobs actually... and trying to pay off student loans as well... wouldn't that just be a kick in the face if I get rejected during the next credit check for not being able to keep my head above water even though I'm more than willing to work hard and give it all I had... although now... I just can't help but feel a little betrayed or misled.
          I don't know the intimate details of your situation, so seek advice from someone who does know all of the details. If you can't move forward from where you are because your credit is going down the toilet, because of where you are, something has to change. If your credit goes down you can't move on. If you are working two jobs and still can't pay your bills then something has to change. You either have to find a better paying job(s) where ever you can, or you have to get rid of some of your credit. If you are late on your bills you will not pass the credit check to get this job or most federal LE type jobs. You say you have been applying everywhere. Have you been applying in the private sector to improve you pay? Have you cut your expenses to the bone to ensure your credit is being paid? If you have do those things, but still can't make your payments, you might consider the big B. It is not as bad as you might think. From what you stated either way it makes little difference.

If you think you won't pass the next credit check because of your credit, what difference does declaring bankruptcy make? Your credit is still screwed. The advantage is once you file, the fact you filed can not be used against you. If you don't file your late payments can be used against you. The only things that can be used against you if you file bankruptcy are if you commit fraud and the reasons why you filed. If you had to file because you were going out partying every weekend, living the high life, spending money and not paying your bills that is completely different than, cutting off your cable, living on Top Raman, having to repay college loans and expecting a much higher paying job when you graduated from college only to find out the economy tanked and there aren't any jobs to be had.

I had to file several years ago, just before I received my first SSBI and it did not harm that process. It also didn't hurt my second SSBI. I also went to the credit counselors to try to work something out with my creditors, but they were unable to help. My reason for filing was I left the military and was unemployed for a few months and when I finally was able to get a job I took a 10k pay cut. I found out after filing the wife had medical issues that effected her reasoning abilities (she was the one paying the bills). Even if we had tried to stick it out the cost to get the wife fixed (medical expenses weren't bad but the lost wages were killer) would have sent us to the court anyway. My point is if you are doiing everything you can to make ends meet but they still aren't, then you have to do something else. If your credit is already suffering due to your job situation it is only going to get worse, unless you get a better paying job or you get rid of some of your debt. Live your life as if you never applied for the government jobs, because they can take a very long time to hire.
          Last edited by kc12; 05-07-2010, 07:16 AM.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• My credit check has cleared. I am back in TSU.

Comment

• In the Same Boat

Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
              GBECK:

I am in the same boat you are. I got booted from the process because they claimed they didnt get a clearence document regarding a car accident I was in. I sent it, but it disappeared so I was one step off from the job. Even my background investigator told my Dad I was a shoe in.

My girlfriend lost her job, was pregnant. I lost my full time job as a Police Officer, and was only working part time. I took some advice, not good advice, and went with debt relief instead of bankruptcy. I dumped the debt settlement company. I got sued by one creditor. So what I did I settled my debts for less than what is owed on my own. I was at six deliquent debts and now down to two. My credit has got destroyed, but the main thing is that making efforts to get it cleaned up or making some kind of payment arraingments shows them your not a dead beat and trying.

I feel your pain, I too am frustrated. I work 3 part time police jobs here in Michigan to support my family and get my bad debts paid off. I pray every night that something better will come along......

Best of Luck

Comment

• Here's my update. My medical, fitness and drug test are expired since Oct. They told me that they wouldn't redo them unless they needed me. I check CASS and saw that I was no longer in TSU because my medical was pending. Notice I mention medical only. So I show up and only do my medical. Now it's sit and wait for another week to see what happens. Any comments?

Comment

• Hey,

Thanks for those reponses. I was rather fed up last night and seldom post... but increasingly irritated. I guess my main problem is I do feel most of us have been misled. It's a little stressing thinking about the credit checks... basically for me, I went on a debt management program almost 2 years ago so I've been paying down my debts and my student loans. One rogue processing account I had when I had a small business violated and falsified our contract, took money without permission, etc. and my lawyer advised me to stop paying on the account until we reach an agreement. (First Data has an F rating with the BBB). This one account went into collections. My other 12 accounts have never had a late payment... ever! So, I'm wondering if they turn me away after the next credit check, if I'll receive a NOPA and at least have the ability to explain the situation?

Anyway, thanks again... and I think most of you are right that basically this career needs to be set on the back burner, so-to-speak. I also wish the best of luck for all of you waiting in TSU... I don't think they can just forget about us after they invested so much in us already.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyHoyle View Post
                    Not sure what's out of the ordinary with the process anymore. They seem to be taking their time redoing the credit checks now, thats for sure. Got my credit alert on 4/8/2009 thats US Customs pulled my credit. A month later still no movement.

But then again.. what does being in TSU really help at this point. Not like they are making calls to the midwest right now.
                    Hiring for Chicago CBP right now is at a complete freeze. I'll let you all know when I hear that it's back on.

Comment

• Some ports are only hiring SCEPs (Co-Ops) and are hiring them when they graduate. They get preference over applicants on the lists.

Comment

• Gbeck,

You are not alone.
                        Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                        Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
                          Hiring for Chicago CBP right now is at a complete freeze. I'll let you all know when I hear that it's back on.
                          Thanks. I just missed the boat by about a month of getting into TSU. Hope I'm getting close to the top of the list when they do hire a few ppl.
                          Referred to Schedule EOD

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyHoyle View Post
                            Thanks. I just missed the boat by about a month of getting into TSU. Hope I'm getting close to the top of the list when they do hire a few ppl.
                            Yeah, the freeze just sort of blind-sided us last year and everything just came to a halt. Our recruiting officer has picked up a whole lot of non-recruiting assignments over the last few months. I'll see if there's any light at the end of the tunnel with them and let you know.

Comment

• Take this for what it's worth, but in San Diego they just announced internally for a collateral duty CBPO recruiter...I guess what I am getting at is if they are asking for recruiters, they may plan on actually recruiting soon.....anyhow, good luck to you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPO I View Post
                                Yeah, the freeze just sort of blind-sided us last year and everything just came to a halt. Our recruiting officer has picked up a whole lot of non-recruiting assignments over the last few months. I'll see if there's any light at the end of the tunnel with them and let you know.
                                Thx for the effort. I appreciate it.
                                Referred to Schedule EOD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12966 users online. 508 members and 12458 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X