Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got an email with my NOR from the april '09 announcement. This is like the seventh NOR I've gotten so far. At least I know they didn't forget about me.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Maybe there's something to those 'change' rumors floating around. Maybe, just maybe JN let something slip.
      The new commissioner just held a town meeting in El Paso where he did his best to dispel most of those rumors. While he indicated the agency was moving towards more cooperation between the components, he categorically dispelled the rumors concerning a combined academy, change of uniforms etc. I wish it were different but I really think it is wishful thinking on a lot of people's parts.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by matyoka View Post
        CUSTOMS AND BORDER PATROL??????

Watched the DOJ news conference on the JFK arrest today... I cannot believe that even our own DHS Secretary does not know what CBP stands for. I understand if the Attorney General makes the mistake, but Napolitano???? Who puts these morons into office????? Oh, stupid question... we all know who. Shame on all those high level LEA directors who cannot learn that CBP stands for Customs and Border PROTECTION....
        Dear Colleagues:

Late last night, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents detained Faisal Shahzad, a naturalized U.S. citizen, at New York’s JFK Airport in connection with Saturday night’s failed bombing attempt in Times Square. I want to express my gratitude to all of the federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel — particularly the dedicated men and women throughout the Department of Homeland Security, including agents and analysts at Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) — whose cooperation and hard work on this case led to the swift identification and apprehension of Shahzad.

I also want to give a special thanks to the alert citizens in New York whose crucial tips helped authorities prevent what could have been a deadly explosion. While the federal government continues to do everything we can to mitigate and prevent threats, the incident in Times Square underscored the public’s critical role in identifying and disrupting potentially dangerous situations — illustrating the importance of one of our key mottos at DHS: if you “see something, say something.”

Very truly yours,

Janet Napolitano

Apparently CBP officers are agents now.........

Comment

• Who really cares what she said? It's not that big of a deal. She called CBPO's, Agents. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
            The new commissioner just held a town meeting in El Paso where he did his best to dispel most of those rumors. While he indicated the agency was moving towards more cooperation between the components, he categorically dispelled the rumors concerning a combined academy, change of uniforms etc. I wish it were different but I really think it is wishful thinking on a lot of people's parts.

FB

Well...I would never suggest that our Bureau Head is anything other than as fine and as honest a Commissioner as we've ever had.

However...the first two rumors on "the list" read:

Rumor #1. Expect a change in the CBP name, something like "Customs and Border Patrol" or something similar.

Rumor #2. Expect a change in everyone’s title. BPA's will be no more and CBPO's will be no more. Expect a unified singular title of "CBPA"/"BPO" or something similar.
            It is interesting to say the least that within 4 weeks of those rumors taking off, we have...

DHS Secretary Napolitano and US AG Holder both referring to "Customs and Border Patrol"

ERIC HOLDER, ATTORNEY GENERAL:

Over the last two days men and women from the FBI, the Department of National Security division and U.S. attorneys offices worked with NYPD, DHS, and state and local partners to doggedly track the evidence in this case. The quick action from FBI agents was critical to alerting Customs and Border Patrol agents, who ultimately arrested him last night at JFK Airport as he was attempting to flee the country.

JANET NAPOLITANO, SECRETARY OF HOMELAND SECURITY:

As you know, late last night U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents at New York's JFK Airport apprehended and detained Faisal Shahzad, a naturalized United States citizen, in connection with Saturday night's failed bombing attempt in Times Square.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...er_105433.html

And...

White House Press Secretary RG referring to "Customs and Border Patrol" not once...but 10 different times.

http://www.articleant.com/p/gov/7795...ert-gibbs.html

Gibbs we can probably explain away, after all he's a WH official and as likely as not he's never had much to do with CBP. However, Secretary Napolitano and AG Holder should know better though. What explains their wording?

What it all means...I have no idea. It's far above my lowly GS-11. Still it's quite interesting pondering what, if anything, it might mean.
            Last edited by merlin436; 05-06-2010, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Well...I would never suggest that our Bureau Head is anything other than as fine and as honest a Commissioner as we've ever had.

It is interesting to say the least that within 4 weeks of those rumors taking off, we have...

DHS Secretary Napolitano and US AG Holder both referring to "Customs and Border Patrol"

And...

White House Press Secretary RG referring to "Customs and Border Patrol" not once...but 10 different times.

Gibbs we can probably explain away, after all he's a WH official and as likely as not he's never had much to do with CBP. However, Secretary Napolitano and AG Holder should know better though. What explains their wording?

What it all means...I have no idea. It's far above my lowly GS-11. Still it's quite interesting pondering what, if anything, it might mean.
              I have heard us referred to as Customs and Border Patrol more times than I can count since the merger in 2003. I think it has much more to do with the fact that for decades prior to 2003 when talking about the green agency you said Border followed by Patrol. Peoples minds are used to the word order so Patrol naturally follows the word Border. I have had our own officers do the exact same thing when answering the phone.

FB

Comment

And...

You are reading much to into it...How long has she been one of us? She would still be a GS-5 if she was an officer...Yet she has no training in Immigration or Customs...She is a talking head...Not taking away from any skills she has, but her understanding of what we do, is still even at the most basic level. And she is in charge of the whole thing...Not just CBP..OFO..Just another acronym..

Comment

• You both may well be right.

I too have heard "Customs and Border Patrol" countless times over since the merger. Though, as I recall, it typically has been a media blunder. It is also true that both the AG and SEC/DHS are both fairly new to their jobs, and they likely have far more than CBP to concern themselves with.

Still, there's likely a big difference between the importance of something phrased by the US/AG and the SEC/DHS and the same thing phrased by an newsperson on KGWN channel 5 in Cheyenne, WY or a GS-07 CBPO answering the phone in Alburg, VT. It is also true that these events were scripted press releases and interviews, so "Customs and Border Patrol" should have been caught and dealt with by their staff and fact-checkers before hand, had it just been a common error.

Like I said, I don't really know enough to know if it means anything, or nothing at all. Still, if it ends up being nothing, the timing and all(coming out and "verifying" scuttlebutt just after the start of some major rumors) is one heck of a coincidence.

Mer.

Comment

• Hey guys, havent posted in a while but i just called tsu to see if anything had happened with my updated credit forms and the woman told me they recieved them march 9th and that until internal affairs released them it would stay pending on cass. She then told me I wasnt missing out on much because they werent doing much hiring for buffalo or anywhere for that matter. I asked if she had heard anything about when they might be hiring again and she told me not for a while and that july classes had already been filled.Just thought you guys might wanna know.

Comment

• Well, if July classes are full, they're hiring, right?
                      Expect nothing but conjecture, tall tales, partially true war stories, speculation and biased, irrelevant information- but it's all FREE for a limited time!

Comment

• Originally posted by SlickWillie View Post
                        Well, if July classes are full, they're hiring, right?
                        That's the way I see it.

Comment

• Hey guys, Does anyone know when and how often is there posting for the CBP post test?

Comment

• Originally posted by genolrd View Post
                            For you guys waiting, we just got 8 new recruits in pre-academy here in Laredo. I don't know the specifics (EOD date, TSU date or when they leave to FLETC). What I overheard from some of the training staff was that there are only between 15-25 classes left for the rest of the fiscal year. This was addressed yesterday when the commish visited Laredo. Hope this helps ya'll out a bit.
                            I'm in Laredo...and I'm waiting, willing, and ready to go

You, sir, have just blessed me with a speck of light at the end of my tunnel. Thank you.
                            "Veni, vidi, vici."

CBPO
                            TEST - 03/02/09
                            NOR - 03/05/09 (95%)
                            TO - 04/06/09
                            FORMS - 04/21/09
                            MED/FIT - 04/29/09
                            DRUG TEST - 05/05/09
                            QUALS - 05/12/09 (GS-5)
                            VBT - 05/21/09 passed 06/12/09
                            BI - Met 06/24/09 cleared 08/14/09
                            TSU - 08/14/09
                            The "Call" - 01/14/11
                            EOD - 02/07/11
                            FLETC - 02/23/11 - 06/28/11

BPA
                            TEST - 12/13/10
                            NOR - 12/20/10 (93%)

"Find something you would be willing to die for and live for that."

Comment

• I am about 19 days away from my 1 year in TSU and have not had to update anything so far. Is that wierd?
                              "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Coming up on 1 year in TSU... and a year and a half since I took the test for a listed "Dire Needs Port" ... what a waste this has all been. The way things were going when I was taking all the tests, drug test, physical, medical, background... things were moving along and kept friends and family informed of my possible career in CBP. Now, a year later, everyone thinks I'm full of s***. I think it's time to move on. I thought I was applying to a professional agency, not an agency that re-opens announcements and says we need people at this "Dire Needs Port" and then we just sit here... and are expected to behave indefinitely. I work my butt off at my current job and have began applying at other agencies. My credit is suffering a bit and I'm sure at this point I'll probably be rejected in my next credit check. I work 2 jobs actually... and trying to pay off student loans as well... wouldn't that just be a kick in the face if I get rejected during the next credit check for not being able to keep my head above water even though I'm more than willing to work hard and give it all I had... although now... I just can't help but feel a little betrayed or misled.
                                Last edited by Gbeck422; 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4027 users online. 215 members and 3812 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X