300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vsgonzo,

You're the same age I was when I first got into LE, though it was local LE. I'm assuming you've applied for the CBPO position (and possibly for BPA). When I was at the BP Academy, I had classmates from 19 y.o. to 40 y.o. You'll find there is a mix in LE. Some people come into LE from other careers. In my first academy, we had a neurosurgeon who was working towards certification to be a reserve with my home county's SO. The guy made 400K or more per year, but "felt the calling".

You'll find as you learn/experience more that some LEO's that local have never looked for or considered any federal LE positions. Therefore, they know little to nothing about any of them. Combine that with the lack of contact with other FLEO's and you'll find the answer to your question. Trust me, it's not you.

Added: To try to help answer your second question, I highly doubt you'll have an "office job". CBP Office of Field Operations, from what I recall from FLETC, simply is the "division" so-to-speak that CBPO's work in. Semantically it's similar to the Border Patrol being "U.S. Border Patrol, Customs & Border Protection, Dept. of Homeland Security". In your case, it would be "Office of Field Operations, Customs & Border Protection, Dept. of Homeland Security". With my current knowledge/experience, that's the best way I can describe it (in writing anyway).

Take care,
    - Steve
    Last edited by williamssd; 06-16-2008, 12:25 AM.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by williamssd View Post
      The above poster seemed a little self-assured with his post stating "word to the wise". I'm not sure if he/she meant it that way or not, however there are better ways to make the point without sounding so and potentially insulting someone. Their post should read...

Bad credit can be overcome during the hiring process if you start making a legitimate attempt to pay for past debt now. Starting now will give you something to show as an example of your determination when you meet with your Background Investigator.

Again, as mentioned, BPA's are particular on their spelling, grammar and proper punctuation (if you are going to post at Honor First). If hired you will have a very eye-opening experience when it comes to this topic when you complete your first practice memo at FLETC.

Personally, my credit was not the best when I started with municipal law enforcement in Wisconsin. I was honest and upfront about it with my BI, and had been working to repair it. Don't feel like you have to repair it instantly; there is nothing wrong with slow and steady. The point is to show progress and maturity. Credit is an issue with the BP because there have been several cases where BPA's have been bribed to help smuggle illegals into the U.S.

The issue with your father will be investigated heavily, and do what you can to provide any documentation about your relationship with him. You are most likely going to need a lot of documentation from your mother in this case as well. Most of the background work will involve the past ten years, but this little snag might require the BI to look farther back. This being said I don't think you'll necessarily have a problem with it, just that your background will take a bit longer than most.

My choice in returning to CBP (following my BP Academy injury) is not a negative mark towards the BP. If I had not found the position announcement for CBPO indicating a high need for Montana, I would have returned to the BP. I'd just prefer to not spend the next ten years on the CA/AZ/NM/TX borders. Those that make it through the academy are highly-trained, top notch people. I have nothing but the highest respect for them all.

Good luck and stay focused on your goal. You can overcome these issues.

- Steve
      Nope, I didn't mean it to be condescending. They just love to critique, I was just giving him a heads up whether he may need the advice or not. Me personally, I could careless how someone decides to type on the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
        Nope, I didn't mean it to be condescending. They just love to critique, I was just giving him a heads up whether he may need the advice or not. Me personally, I could careless how someone decides to type on the internet.
        Ok JB.
        ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
        Written: 5/15/08
        NOR: 5/20/08
        TO: 10/28/08
        Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
        Fitness: 2/02/09
        BI: 3/15/09
        OB: 4/24
        EOD: 7/27
        FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
        Written: 3/15/08
        NOR: 4/2/08
        TO: 5/22/08
        Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
        Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
        VBT: 6/30/08
        Drug Test: 7/10/08
        Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
        Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
        BI submitted: 10/10/08
        TSU: 4/2/09
        Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
        EOD:

Comment

• I wonder who JB Thug is over here?
          That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

• Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
            I wonder who JB Thug is over here?
            LoL I really didn't mean it to sound like that.

Comment

• I have yet to post over there. I have found everything I need to know so far from reading old posts.
              That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

• In regards to the lasik procedure. I am going to have the PRK procedure performed on Friday. I aklso had the medical exam today for CBPO, I passed the corrected but failed the uncorrected. Does anyone know what the required time of rehabilitation is for CBP. For example how many months after the surgery do they require that you wait before you can be sent to FLETC. Also for those interested I'm having my surgery done for $3800, but with an additional radio discount I will only pay $2800. Also I am going to have PRK instead of LASIK, the only bad thing is that they say it takes 5-7 days for your vision to come back.

Comment

• I have done some searching but really couldn't find much. Are there any sites like "Honor First" (BP) for Customs? I wanted a little more knowledge about the academy and how its geared? Is it more book work? Or P.T.? Any info would be great and/or links. Thanks guys.

Comment

My choice in returning to CBP (following my BP Academy injury) is not a negative mark towards the BP.
                    I am curious as to your injury, what was the incident. It must have been bad. When I went to BP FLETC, Charleston, SC, class 338, I broke a rib in redman drills but was not dropped. BP academy is very physical. I have a friend, GS11 after 3 years, who just graduated a class in Artesia as a PT/DT instructor. The instructor's goal is still to wash out as many trainees as possible (but you did not here that from me).

Comment

• its a 1 year membership at the jelly of the month club

Got the call then got the other call. We need to re-do your BI, we will be sending you some new forms to fill out and send back to us..
                      Last edited by Tarheel1; 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM.
                      CBPO
                      Test-11/07, T.O. 1/08 (WA)
                      Med/Fit-completed 1/08
                      Forms/Drug/VBT-completed 2/08
                      Quals-completed 6/08
                      BI-completed 8/08
                      Referred to Schedule EOD 8/15/08

The Call-9/29/08
                      Start-10/14/08
                      FLETC-11/13/08

CBPI-911

Comment

• Tarheel,

Man, I really feel for you right now. I'm at a loss for even a remote suggestion for you (and I sure wish I could provide one).

Something my grandfather recommended to me as I entered LE outta' college, (for those in the future) do not give your notice of separation to your current employer until you have an actual printed/hard copy final offer letter in hand. I requested that letter when I got my offer from BP. It a took a couple of days so I couldn't give my current employer (at the time) a full two week notice. I know it doesn't look good to not give proper notice, but in this game where the gov't doesn't really give a **** about your personal welfare it might be necessary to CYA.

I'd be curious to know if there's someone higher up you could contact (you'd have to find out from those really in the know; madchicken, JB, current CBPO's, etc.).

Try to shake it off and keep going.

- Steve
                        "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
                          I wonder who JB Thug is over here?
                          I have yet to see anybody post, "JBThungish" on this board. Over here we don't care if the question has been answered sevral hundred times, we are normally polite and don't get irritable when we answer questions for people who are genuinely curious.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Some employers will have a heads up, especially since they may have gotten a letter or phone call from a BI, ya know?

Originally posted by williamssd View Post
                            Tarheel,

Man, I really feel for you right now. I'm at a loss for even a remote suggestion for you (and I sure wish I could provide one).

Something my grandfather recommended to me as I entered LE outta' college, (for those in the future) do not give your notice of separation to your current employer until you have an actual printed/hard copy final offer letter in hand. I requested that letter when I got my offer from BP. It a took a couple of days so I couldn't give my current employer (at the time) a full two week notice. I know it doesn't look good to not give proper notice, but in this game where the gov't doesn't really give a **** about your personal welfare it might be necessary to CYA.

I'd be curious to know if there's someone higher up you could contact (you'd have to find out from those really in the know; madchicken, JB, current CBPO's, etc.).

- Steve

Comment

Tarheel,

- Steve
                              Well at least my employer is cool and let me stay no problem. Now I get to play the waiting game for the third time.
                              CBPO
                              Test-11/07, T.O. 1/08 (WA)
                              Med/Fit-completed 1/08
                              Forms/Drug/VBT-completed 2/08
                              Quals-completed 6/08
                              BI-completed 8/08
                              Referred to Schedule EOD 8/15/08

The Call-9/29/08
                              Start-10/14/08
                              FLETC-11/13/08

CBPI-911

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarheel1 View Post
                                Now I get to play the waiting game for the third time.
                                That's the spirit!!

At least you know that this time it is only a matter of "time" for them to re-do all of their own work -- you already know you've accomplished/passed all of their steps and requirements.

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10484 users online. 392 members and 10092 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X