300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goosell View Post
    Is that the only way you can get a waiver?? Another thing the big E is 20/200 and the line below that is 20/100 which is what you have to have uncorrected.

I still dont understand though, i have poor eye sight but when i put my contacts in my vision is fine, isn't that the only thing that matters. If i can see what im doing at work why does it matter if im wearing contacts or if im not. This whole uncorrected vision thing confuses me and it seems wrong. IMO vision is a disability and if you can have contacts in your eyes to fix this disability, then why does homeland security care??

Does anyone have info on the vision test?? Im not sure if i will even be DQed but i think i might, is the test just like one you take when you go to the eye doctor. Sometimes i can see well sometimes i cant (not to sure why) do you have to read one eye chart or more than one?? Any info will be appreciated thank you
    I'm not the expert on the waivers, but that is what I remember from the Border Patrol process.

When I had my LASIK done, I couldn't see how many fingers the technician was holding up in front of me. That is when they told me that is 20/800. My point is, no matter how bad your vision is, it can be corrected. If law enforcement if the career you want, don't let it stop you.
    ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
    Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
    March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
    July 09 Oral Board
    Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
    Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by gms632 View Post
      Hi there, hope this answers your question. Directly from the CBPO Employment Packet.

"Vision:

Any disease or condition that interferes with a person's vision may be considered disqualifying. In addition:
      • Uncorrected distant vision must be equal to or better than 20/100 binocular.
      • Near vision must be equal to or better than 20/40 binocular, with or without correction.
      • Corrected distant vision must be equal to or better than 20/30 binocular.
      • Depth perception, peripheral vision, and color vision must be normal. Tinted lenses are not acceptable as a means for correcting color deficiencies.”

FYI, there is also a section about LASIK in the manual--

"Refractive surgical procedures (such as Radial Keratotomay, Photorefractive surgery [laser], Keratoplasty, LASIK surgery) are considered acceptable provided the individual’s vision meets the above standards post-operatively, and an acceptable recovery time period has occurred. The individual must be free of post-operative complications. The results of an eye examination by a board-certified ophthalmologist or a state licensed and certified optometrist will be required to ensure that vision is not impeded due to post-operative complications such as:
      Risk of corneal rupture due to blunt force trauma (with respect to the structural integrity and weakening of the cornea, the level of acceptable risk may be directly related to the number and depth of corneal incisions required to achieve myopic correction;
      Contrast sensitivity;
      Impaired vision with glare;
      Loss of visual acuity since the vision correction surgery was performed; or
      Corneal scarring and infection, etc.

Also, the applicant must be cleared for participating in rigorous training and activities, as well as exposure to pepper (OC) spray.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
        The outports are staffed by the main port at Derby Line so you will get overime if assigned to Derby Line even if you don't want it.

FB
        Ahh...I live and learn.

How many ports does Derby Line staff, and which VT ports are self-staffed outside of D.L. and Highgate?

My experience is that outports see markedly(2 to 6X) less OT than the service ports. I know that the outports in ND are self-staffed and see little of the OT that comes into Pembina, I know that Trout River, NY is self-staffed and sees little of the OT that comes into Champlain. I more or less figured that VT operated much the same.

Comment

• hired

got the call yesterday for BPA(Tucson Sector/Tucson station) and CBPO(seattle port) today! decisions to make.. any input on which is a better job? Have till Monday to make my decision...
          Last edited by Tarheel1; 06-15-2008, 12:35 AM.
          CBPO
          Test-11/07, T.O. 1/08 (WA)
          Med/Fit-completed 1/08
          Forms/Drug/VBT-completed 2/08
          Quals-completed 6/08
          BI-completed 8/08
          Referred to Schedule EOD 8/15/08

The Call-9/29/08
          Start-10/14/08
          FLETC-11/13/08

CBPI-911

Comment

• Congrats Tarheel, wanted to ask you how long was the process for BPA?
            Standing by to stand by

Comment

Does anyone have info on the vision test?? Im not sure if i will even be DQed but i think i might, is the test just like one you take when you go to the eye doctor. Sometimes i can see well sometimes i cant (not to sure why) do you have to read one eye chart or more than one?? Any info will be appreciated thank you
              When I took my vision test I was given a book and was told to read a few sentences with the book at a normal distance from my face. I then was shown a number of pictures that had a blob of I guess it was like an ink splash with a number or letter in the middle in a different color (I guess that was the color test). Next I had to do the depth perception test where I had to put my head up to a machine that had a series of 4 squares and I had to tell them which one was blurry. Next I had to read the smallest line on the chart with each eye. I think there was one more thing that I had to do with each eye (read something forwards with one eye and backwards with the other) but I can't remember what it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by ammo19 View Post
                When I took my vision test I was given a book and was told to read a few sentences with the book at a normal distance from my face. I then was shown a number of pictures that had a blob of I guess it was like an ink splash with a number or letter in the middle in a different color (I guess that was the color test). Next I had to do the depth perception test where I had to put my head up to a machine that had a series of 4 squares and I had to tell them which one was blurry. Next I had to read the smallest line on the chart with each eye. I think there was one more thing that I had to do with each eye (read something forwards with one eye and backwards with the other) but I can't remember what it was.
                Thanks for the info, the only thing im worried about is the distance eye test, i can see 20/100 uncorrected if a squint a little but i dont think i can see it without squinting. Hopefully everything will go ok, i want this job more than anything, hopefully i dont get dqed because of vision, wow that would suck, and would be really unfair considering i can see perfectly fine with contacts in my eyes, but thats life i guess.

My medical is on monday, i guess i can just pray and hope for the best with my uncorrected vision.

On another note how much is lasik ive heard form people that it is 2000 total which would be do-able for me, but ive read online that it is 1500-3000 per eye which wouldn't be do-able. Any one know from experience??

Comment

Thanks for the info, the only thing im worried about is the distance eye test, i can see 20/100 uncorrected if a squint a little but i dont think i can see it without squinting. Hopefully everything will go ok, i want this job more than anything, hopefully i dont get dqed because of vision, wow that would suck, and would be really unfair considering i can see perfectly fine with contacts in my eyes, but thats life i guess.

My medical is on monday, i guess i can just pray and hope for the best with my uncorrected vision.

On another note how much is lasik ive heard form people that it is 2000 total which would be do-able for me, but ive read online that it is 1500-3000 per eye which wouldn't be do-able. Any one know from experience??
                  Depends where you have it done. I paid 4K for my LASIK and it was worth every penny. I did finance it as most will finance your procedure.
                  God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarheel1 View Post
                    got the call yesterday for BPA(Tucson Sector/Tucson station) and CBPO(seattle port) today! decisions to make.. any input on which is a better job? Have till Monday to make my decision...
                    Congrats on both offers. If you want "action" and all that comes with it, go BP. If you like a more steady, more relaxed (no offense CBPO's), and certainly less action position, go CBP. Personally I'd go BP.

Comment

• You can get LASIK for $500 bucks per eye. Just remember you get what you pay for. Since it's your vision, I don't think it's a good idea to have the surgery done by the lowest bidder. I would find a doctor you feel comfortable with, and talk to people who have the surgery done by that doctor. I paid about $4000 also, but since I did it for my career, it was worth it.

Now if I could just get a call with a job offer I'd be set. BI has been "in the security office" for 6 months now.
                      ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                      Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                      March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                      July 09 Oral Board
                      Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                      Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• eyes...

Nearly everyone I know who has had cheap 'lasik' surgery has had problems with it. I paid $3500 bucks for the surgery 5 years ago in Montreal, PQ. No problems.

IMO, get it done right and get it done in a well vetted clinic in a major city.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarheel1 View Post
                          Do you want to chase people through the desert? If not, stay in WA and work Seattle.

All things otherwise equal, I'd advise taking the CBPO job. Border Patrol will be hiring for years, you can always jump in that direction later...if that's what you want. The opportunities to jump into the CBPO gig from the BP will be far fewer...unless CBP/OFO goes on a hiring binge.

Comment

• BP exam comming up

I am taking the BP exam in august and im a lil worried about two things

one my father is not a legal resident of the united states but my mother is (my father didnt really live with us) so im hoping it might not matter too much

and two my credit is not all that great, and i read poor credit might result in you getting disqualified

other than that im in good physical condition, i can speak english and spanish, i have a clean backround and never took a drug a day in my life

anyone have any idea whether or not i have a good chance or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by panaricanstylez View Post
                              I am taking the BP exam in august and im a lil worried about two things
                              You might want to address these questions in the Border Patrol Agent Forum. There are some good ones here, and here http://forums.delphiforums.com/borderpatrol/start... Word to the wise, they take grammar and spelling very seriously. It is run as a professional forum not a chat room.

one my father is not a legal resident of the united states but my mother is (my father didnt really live with us) so im hoping it might not matter too much
                              IMO you would have to show you have little contact with him.

and two my credit is not all that great, and i read poor credit might result in you getting disqualified
                              Bad credit can be overcome, if you start making a legitimate attempt to pay past debt. Start now so you will have something to show for it, when you meant with your Background investigator.

other than that im in good physical condition, i can speak english and spanish, i have a clean backround and never took a drug a day in my life

anyone have any idea whether or not i have a good chance or not?

Comment

• Bad credit can be overcome, if you start making a legitimate attempt to pay past debt. Start now so you will have something to show for it, when you meant with your Background investigator.
                                The above poster seemed a little self-assured with his post stating "word to the wise". I'm not sure if he/she meant it that way or not, however there are better ways to make the point without sounding so and potentially insulting someone. Their post should read...

Bad credit can be overcome during the hiring process if you start making a legitimate attempt to pay for past debt now. Starting now will give you something to show as an example of your determination when you meet with your Background Investigator.

Again, as mentioned, BPA's are particular on their spelling, grammar and proper punctuation (if you are going to post at Honor First). If hired you will have a very eye-opening experience when it comes to this topic when you complete your first practice memo at FLETC.

Personally, my credit was not the best when I started with municipal law enforcement in Wisconsin. I was honest and upfront about it with my BI, and had been working to repair it. Don't feel like you have to repair it instantly; there is nothing wrong with slow and steady. The point is to show progress and maturity. Credit is an issue with the BP because there have been several cases where BPA's have been bribed to help smuggle illegals into the U.S.

The issue with your father will be investigated heavily, and do what you can to provide any documentation about your relationship with him. You are most likely going to need a lot of documentation from your mother in this case as well. Most of the background work will involve the past ten years, but this little snag might require the BI to look farther back. This being said I don't think you'll necessarily have a problem with it, just that your background will take a bit longer than most.

My choice in returning to CBP (following my BP Academy injury) is not a negative mark towards the BP. If I had not found the position announcement for CBPO indicating a high need for Montana, I would have returned to the BP. I'd just prefer to not spend the next ten years on the CA/AZ/NM/TX borders. Those that make it through the academy are highly-trained, top notch people. I have nothing but the highest respect for them all.

Good luck and stay focused on your goal. You can overcome these issues.

- Steve
                                Last edited by williamssd; 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM. Reason: Proper Grammar!
                                "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15344 users online. 424 members and 14920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X