300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    ...USSS will paymatch any other Treasury Dept. agency, etc.
    USSS is actually a DHS agency now. Kinda weird. I was thinking about how it didn't make a ton of sense when I was in the shower yesterday. Haha.
    "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Yeah, even though USSS is under DHS, they operate more like a stand alone agency. I'm pretty sure they're not gonna get sucked into this 1 DHS push that going on.
      Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Fyi

For any that are interested, six new officers are EOD'ing on Monday in El Paso.

FB

Comment

• 3rd Quarter looks better than the second for new classes. The majority of this FY training will happen in the last half is what it looks like. We finally have a new Director for the Academy (He's BP too!!)
          Last edited by biggdawgdaddy; 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM.
          Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
            For any that are interested, six new officers are EOD'ing on Monday in El Paso.

FB
            Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Dunno if this has been posted before, but this National Geographic episode is pretty cool about CBP:
              http://www.hulu.com/watch/119226/bor...-walk-the-line
              (It expires later today.)

edit: Another show with an episode about Border Patrol: http://www.hulu.com/watch/118464/dan...-border-patrol

Looks like Yuma sector gets all the cool toys, lol.
              Last edited by w8ing2hear; 03-27-2010, 10:07 PM.
              Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

• Originally posted by Axel Foley
                What is the difference between a Border Patrol Agent and a Customs Border Patrol Officer?
                The easy answer is we do the same job, it's the location that is the difference. CBPO's work at ports of entry while the BPA's work between the ports. As you can imagine the work conditions for CBPO's results in more immediate back up, while for BPA's back up could be hours away. Because of where BPA's work, their focus is more on immigration than CBPO's (though this is port specific). Overall the job of a CBPO is a more generalized than a BPA.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

What is the difference between a Border Patrol Agent and a Customs Border Patrol Officer?
                  The simple answer is that CBPOs work at a port of entry while the BPA works between Ports of entry. That distinction makes the job somewhat different. Border Patrol does more roving patrol type operations, be it tracking operations or vehicle stops. CBPOs are mostly restricted to working at teh POEs themselves. The Border Patrol assignment most comparable to CBPO work is working at a checkpoint. Although we deal with immigration a lot, most of the immigration violations are pretty cut and dry (they entered illegally). Your average BPA knows very little about Title 19 (custom laws) even though we are cross-designated to enforce those. As a Border Patrol Agent you might get to track a group of people for miles through the desert, or jump a group of 20 by yourself in the darkness. Like any other job though, you won't be doing the fun stuff every day, and there are other types of work you have to do as well, like processing aliens or sitting at a static position (only at some stations).

The CBPO works at a port of entry, which could be a land, air, or sea port. They deal with the Title 19 (customs laws) a lot. Some of the immigration work is a little more detailed because they have to make admissibility/inadmissibility decisions. CBPOs make some pretty substantial drug seizures at the land border ports of entry.

The jobs are different, and of course I am going to say I prefer my job (but I am biased ). The truth of the matter is that either one is a good job.

Comment

• I got a buddy at FLETC in training for another agency, he said FLETC is mostly made up of people training for BOP and ICE. I asked about CBP and he said there is a hand full of them being trained. He said BOP is taking up most of the space now a days. Man, have things changed!

Comment

• A question for TSO's:

I am in TSU for CBP and today I applied for TSA. Does anyone know if TSA will accept my background invesigation from CBP or will I have to undergo another? Will I have to redo the SF86 or can they go by what CBP already has? It appears that the CBP background is substantially more thorough than the TSA version.
                      CBPO
                      Written 08/08
                      TO 02/09
                      TSU 06/09
                      BI Expired 04/10
                      Polygraph 06/10--Passed
                      Met with 2nd BI--07/10
                      TSU 08/10

CBP BPA
                      Written 08/10
                      TO 09/10
                      TSU 11/10
                      THE CALL: 03/02/2011
                      FLETC: 04/04/2011--06/20/2011

Comment

God, I can imagine the crap the current CBP hate crew will spread in response to a question like yours.

I'll just add this...

There are 20 Field Offices, 327 official Ports and hundreds of different crossings and facilities spread out across the country and international within CBP/OFO.(The part of CBP where 98.9% of CBPOs work.) Roughly 21K CBPOs work for CBP.

A PA could better fill you in on the number of Border Patrol Sectors and BP Stations there are within CBP/OBP, but those numbers are fairly large as well. Roughly 20K BPAs work for CBP/OBP.

My point is that there is so much range within the CBPO duty parameters,(airport, land border, seaport, northern border, southern border, cargo, immigration, etc.) and those duties of a PA( northern border, southern border, skyboxes, checkpoints, etc.) that you aren't going to get a nice, easy, cookie-cutter answer to that question.

It's just much too complex for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          God, I can imagine the crap the current CBP hate crew will spread in response to a question like yours.

I'll just add this...

There are 20 Field Offices, 327 official Ports and hundreds of different crossings and facilities spread out across the country and international within CBP/OFO.(The part of CBP where 98.9% of CBPOs work.) Roughly 21K CBPOs work for CBP.

A PA could better fill you in on the number of Border Patrol Sectors and BP Stations there are within CBP/OBP, but those numbers are fairly large as well. Roughly 20K BPAs work for CBP/OBP.

My point is that there is so much range within the CBPO duty parameters,(airport, land border, seaport, northern border, southern border, cargo, immigration, etc.) and those duties of a PA( northern border, southern border, skyboxes, checkpoints, etc.) that you aren't going to get a nice, easy, cookie-cutter answer to that question.

It's just much too complex for that.
                          Actually, its not a bad question that he asked. People simply don't know and that's ok, we're happy to let people know what we do. The only gripe that I have is that CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection and not Customs and Border Patrol. Although we do get that a lot.

Comment

• I personally blame the media for this problem. No matter what the incident, we're always called "border officers" or "customs agents." Brings about a lot of confusion.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossingGuard View Post
                              Actually, its not a bad question that he asked. People simply don't know and that's ok, we're happy to let people know what we do. The only gripe that I have is that CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection and not Customs and Border Patrol. Although we do get that a lot.
                              The "hate crew" comment was added for the benefit of the peanut gallery "trolls" that show up ever so often and do little but bash(fairly or not) the CBPO position.

I wasn't suggesting it was a bad question, only a complicated one. It's like comparing canines and felines. When you start to think of the differences between a chihuahua and a wolf; between a house-cat and a lion, it's easy to see where you're not going to get an easy, simple answers that fit in all or most comparisons.

Comment

• Originally posted by mackabo View Post
                                A question for TSO's:

I am in TSU for CBP and today I applied for TSA. Does anyone know if TSA will accept my background invesigation from CBP or will I have to undergo another? Will I have to redo the SF86 or can they go by what CBP already has? It appears that the CBP background is substantially more thorough than the TSA version.
                                You will have to fill out another SF86 and Credit Check forms for TSA, but that's it. TSA's BG check is nothing like CBP.
                                Geo: Illinois
                                Test Score: 94
                                Quals: GS-7
                                T.O.: 8/7/2007
                                Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12198 users online. 453 members and 11745 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X