300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
    Last time I checked, being in the top 55 percentile of anything is considered average, mediocre even. Not even close to "top of the line." I mean seriously. If you're going to rush through a sup test just to get the rest of the day off and not even shoot for top 5-10%, makes me question where your priorities lie. These type of tests aren't rocket science but rushing through them to get a day off and then coming onto the internet and bragging like your top 55% is actually a good thing is beyond laughable.
    Had exactly the same reaction reading that crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC0844 View Post
      So is it possible to get the job without a degree? Probably, but I would say the odds are extremely slim and that would probably be the exception rather than the norm

I don't disagree with you.

I'd say that is true for many positions where you pretty much "need" a degree to be truly competitive.

Guys like Escape will always disagree, but I'd say that's more or less true in regards to this position as well. At least if you consider life experience as a substitute for formal education. Sure, if you look hard enough, you'll find the odd 20 YO who qualified for a CBPO position using his baby-sitting experience. On the whole though, most of us have college degrees and/or extensive military experience and/or extensive work histories that more or less are functionally equivalent to the experience/knowledge base that a lower-level 4 year degree provides.

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeCBP
        One day when you aquire some training and expierience in law enforcment interviewing techniques and understanding statements you will learn what you said is simply an opinion .
        Originally posted by EscapeCBP
        I don`t think you will be able to substantiate many employers who pay our wages and benefits and lose 38 people every two weeks out of a work force of 15k to 20k people.
        Not for nothing, but if you're going play the grammar troll card so consistently you might want to take the time to brush up on your vocab skills.

I realize this must seem like a moronic statement to someone with your level of Elite Ninja Interrogation training. But to the non Illuminati amongst us it makes you look like a dumb*****.

Comment

• For those waiting for positions in FL. I spoke to TSU today and they told me they hired 2 people for Miami last week. Doesnt really mean much but at least the ball is starting to roll.

TO: 12/28/2008
          TSU: 4/2/2009

Comment

• Learn the ignore button folks. It works wonders to keep the trolls out.
            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

Most law enforcment jobs today require 60 semester credits. Recently the last three years a substitute of two years military has been allowed.
              You will find many LEO jobs moving to school and exp.
              Most Fed uniformed positions with the exceptions of BP and CBP without the above will not get you to the most qualified list .
              The following are just a few job openings found on O.com career page. While I agree the trend in law enforcement is to require at least some college we are far from MOST requiring college. I think you will find the college requirement is very regional in nature with it being most prevalent in the Northeast and West coast. I think you will also find that many FLEO jobs still only require a high school diploma but would prefer college just like CBP and BP. However, I agree most applicants will not find themselves very competitive with just high school

FB

http://www.officer.com/jobs/detail.jsp?id=6432

Police Officer - Columbia, SC

Position Type
              Position Title
              Police Officer
              Police Officer
              Requirements/Overview

Police Officer / Police Officer Candidate
              The safety and protection of every citizen and visitor within the city limits falls to the Columbia Police Department, and its a task they take seriously, and with great pride. Therefore the city of Columbia seeks out and employs only those personnel who will take on the old and honorable tradition, "To Protect and To Serve", after all you are now applying to become one of its finest citizen.

A career with the Columbia Police Department is like no other job or experience. If offers excitement, a sense of accomplishment, job satisfaction, teamwork, opportunities for growth with promotion and excellent salary and benefits.

•Must be a United States Citizen
              •Must be 21 years of age (birth certificate required)
              •Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
              •Must have a valid SC driver's license with a good driving record.
              •No Criminal Convictions.

http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/qualifications.php

US Capital Police Officer.

Our minimum requirements are:
              Must have reached your 21st birthday but have not reached your 37th birthday at the time of appointment. In accordance with Public Law 100.238, this position is covered under law enforcement retirement provisions, therefore candidates must be referred for selection before reaching their 37th birthday unless they presently serve or have previously served in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement-retirement-covered position. (Hence, the maximum age may be waived with prior qualifying Civilian Federal Law Enforcement Employment).

Education
              Must be a High School graduate or possess a GED certificate.

Citizenship
              Must be a United States citizen.

Driver’s License

http://www.officer.com/jobs/wyoming.jsp

Highway Patrol Trooper
              GENERAL DESCRIPTION
              The Highway Patrol Trooper I enforces the laws of the State of Wyoming through primary contact with the public and has statewide jurisdiction. Trooper activities include traffic law enforcement, motor vehicle crash investigations, citizen assists, executive or dignitary protection, safety awareness activities/promotion and public speaking, court appearances, highway drug interdiction, enforce commercial vehicle laws, administer medical aid and any other duties that may be brought to their attention.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
              •NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
              •Must be 21 years of age or older and have a visual acuity of, or be correctable to, 20/20 or better
              •No suspension of drivers license or driving privilege within the 3 year period prior to the test
              •Successful applicants will be subject to a thorough background and reference investigation
              PREFERENCES
              High School Diploma or equivalent plus 2 years of work experience working with the public

Note: Applicants must successfully complete a program of initial training at the State Law Enforcement Academy, and pass physical, written and oral tests, as provided before appointment.

http://www.officer.com/jobs/detail.jsp?id=6500

Deputy Sheriff - Aledo, IL

Position Type
              Position Title
              Police Officer
              Deputy Sheriff
              Requirements/Overview

The Mercer County Merit Commission is currently accepting applications for the position of Deputy Sheriff.

Duties include, but are not limited to:Responding to calls for service, conducting traffic stops, transporting inmates to court and arresting offenders.

To apply, applicants must be at least 21 years of age, possess high school diploma or GED, possess a valid driver's license, reside in Mercer County within six months of hire, successfully complete all exams required by Merit Commission and pass background investigation. EOE.

Please visit http://www.mercercosheriff.org for more information.

http://www.officer.com/jobs/detail.jsp?id=6504

Police Officer - Fraser - Winter Park, CO

Position Type
              Position Title
              Police Officer
              Police Officer
              Requirements/Overview

The Fraser / Winter Park Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position(s) of police officer. The department is seeking service minded individuals, with excellent communication and problem solving skills, interested in working with our residents and guests to promote a vibrant and safe community.

Requirements:

•Must be 21 years of age.
              •High school diploma or equivalent.
              •Colorado P.O.S.T. certified or certifiable.
              •Must have or obtain a valid Colorado driver's license, with a safe record, by hiring date.
              •Acceptable criminal record with no felony or disqualifying misdemeanor conviction(s).
              •A history of personal and professional honesty, integrity, and good judgment.

Comment

The QUOTE BELOW IS FROM POST NUMBER 9 here on the THREAD ! NUMBER 9 get it all who say this is a thread just about where you are in the Q !
                DATED 2006
                What you will read is someone called maddog and another poster in an argument with who ELSE MERLIN who was full of ____ back then also !
                Of course every post that disgrees with anyone here is posted by me lol ! EVEN in 2006.
                Let me put up Merlins post before he does yes we did get leo coverage . Morale remains bottom of barrel.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                A recent published government employee survey ranked and rated CBP extremely low.
                This position is not considered or classified by the governement as a law enforcement position. Which means you have to work 30 yrs instead of 20 and you are not entitled to their pay or retirement.
                Morale is at an all time low!
                High turn over rate.
                Very little or no overtime presently available.
                New employees are not allowed to transfer for three years and even after that they are not easy to come by. Especially to the better locations.
                My advise to you (and this is my opinion) if you truely want a job in law enforcement keep looking. Something will turn up. If you just want a pay check then this is for you.RE at the beginning of the thread !

To be fair Post #9 was from almost four years ago. Many things have changed in those four years and continue to change. Many would say the changes are not occurring fast enough. However, this is very different agency then what I signed on to thirteen years ago. Some of that change is good some of it not so good.

FB

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

One day when you aquire some training and expierience in law enforcment interviewing techniques and understanding statements you will learn what you said is simply an opinion .
                    What I said is a statement based upon my thoughts . And once again I enjoyed every day off I have had after taking the test.

As for my score I stand by the belief that there is a difference in passing in under 20 minutes and someone who scores 5 or 10 % more but takes the full amount of allotted times.
                    One day you won't jump to conclusions and assume everyone here is an unexperienced rookie with no law enforcement knowledge. I AM a sworn officer in a position where "interviewing and understanding statements" decidewhether I or my partners go home safe at night. True, what I stated may have been an opinion but no department is going to consider someone for a supervisor position with a mediocre score. Being in the top 55% is as mediocre as you can get, not approaching cream of the crop. That is a fact. I'd rather stay the extra hour to take a test and get that extra 5 to 10 percent than having to retake the test again at a later date. Especially if you are serious about the position. HR could care less how fast of a test taker you are. A 70% score in 20 minutes is not better than an 80% completed in 2 hrs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                      Not for nothing, but if you're going play the grammar troll card so consistently you might want to take the time to brush up on your vocab skills.

I realize this must seem like a moronic statement to someone with your level of Elite Ninja Interrogation training. But to the non Illuminati amongst us it makes you look like a dumb*****.
                      You forget you're dealing with someone who misspelled his previous screen-name.

What the heck is a Jackel anyway?

Comment

• Did anyone else hear a sort of faint buzzing sound?

God, I love the ignore feature. And who knew it works with PM's too.
                        Last edited by imlikeaninja; 03-16-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Most Fed uniformed positions with the exceptions of BP and CBP without the above will not get you to the most qualified list .
                          There may be some truth to that...but most uniformed federal law enforcement agencies are much smaller and hire far fewer people than CBP OFO/OBP.
                          If an agency has a few hundred sworn LEOs and hires less than people each year, well then they can afford to be mighty particular in who they're choosing and what qualifications they are looking for.

Comment

The current attrition level is roughly 4.3% which comes out to roughly 35 people every 2 weeks.

I don`t think you will be able to substantiate many employers who pay our wages and benefits and lose 38 people every two weeks out of a work force of 15k to 20k people.
                            There are 21K+ CBPOs current in OFO. There are roughly 20K BPA's in OBP.(BTW, OBP's attrition rate is roughly 5.5%...or about 43 Agents leaving every 2 weeks)

The only LE employer I can think of that comes close to matching those numbers is NYPD. I haven't seen a real reliable source for NYPD attrition numbers but the range seems to be somewhere between 2% and over 8%.

The fact is that most major LE agencies have fairly substantial attrition rates. CBP is no exception to that trend.

Comment

That is what I am saying. More or less.
                              Out of curiosity oh Merlin in a small Port do test scores have anything at all to do with becoming a Supervisor ?
                              The only rumor I have heard is that they have to take the top scorer.
                              However I have been told by several that they were the top dog and did not get the position. Keep in mind getting a Sups position in a large Port is not probably what the local pd guy thinks it is .And it may mean a lot more where you are at ? But we have dozens and dozens of Sups.
                              Test scores(other than passing the test) have nothing to do with supervisor selections anywhere I'm aware of. Management chooses anyone who they want to promote out of the list of those who pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by alb3508 View Post
                                For those waiting for positions in FL. I spoke to TSU today and they told me they hired 2 people for Miami last week. Doesnt really mean much but at least the ball is starting to roll.

TO: 12/28/2008
                                TSU: 4/2/2009
                                They've been saying that the whole time. I've seen 2 guys get hired in an entire year, none for my location.
                                CBPO
                                GEO - NY/JFK
                                TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                                PE Forms - Completed
                                Fitness - Completed
                                VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                                Drug Screen - Completed
                                Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                                B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                                Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                                TSU

EOD: ???
                                FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10590 users online. 387 members and 10203 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X