300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tippmann87 View Post
    I don't know how accurate that number is. They guy I spoke to also mentioned that CBP was building an academy in harpers ferry WV. He said once CBP starts training out of WV they may be combining CBP, border patrol and ICE into one agency.
    Harpers Ferry is the Advanced Training Center, it is not a basic academy. Glynco is for Basic, and they had pushed all the advanced classes out. We actually run several training facilities. If we move it out of Glynco it would go to to Artesia. Those numbers look like 2011, we will probably only get 300 if we are lucky. On the bright side, the year is about half over.
    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by tippmann87 View Post
      guy I spoke to also mentioned that CBP was building an academy in harpers ferry WV. He said once CBP starts training out of WV they may be combining CBP, border patrol and ICE into one agency.
      That's a pretty hefty rumor. As someone who wants to eventually be an ICE 1811, I'm all for it. Is your source reliable?

I also noticed you are a fellow N. VA guy. When did you get your TO?
      "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
        That's a pretty hefty rumor. As someone who wants to eventually be an ICE 1811, I'm all for it. Is your source reliable?

I also noticed you are a fellow N. VA guy. When did you get your TO?
        My TO is 9/08. I don't personally know the officer I spoke to so I can't vouch for his reliability. It would be nice though. For now, just a rumor.

Comment

• The rumor of a combined "basic" academy covering such positions as IEA/CBPO/BPA/etc. has been kicking around for years now. After attending the "basic" academy, people would move off into academies that cover the specifics of each respected position.
          Like most rumors, there's just enough common sense to it to make it interesting.

As was said, there's little chance of basic classes moving to Harpers Ferry; there's not enough room there.

As far as the numbers of new hires go, the last I saw that was quasi-official was 770 or so new hires. That was late last fall. It may now be 200-300, it may be 1200. I don't know. Assuming that they have enough people in Glynco to train 1200, it wouldn't be all that hard to bring on 200 new hires a month starting in April and running through September...if that was the plan.

Comment

• thanks for always being so optimistic.

Comment

• I wouldn't call it optimistic...it's just a fact. They've pushed upward of 2500 trainees through in a year...when they've had the need. There's roughly 7 months left in the fiscal year...the math is pretty simple.

I seriously doubt that the plan is to push through 1200 people in the next 7 months. I'd bet on something between 200-500. It makes little sense to hire so few during the first few months, and then run like a bat out of hell for the last half of the year. Then again, little of anything surrounding hiring has come across as "normal" over the course of the last year or so, and no one really has been able to make much sense of it lately...myself included.

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeCBP
                Sorry Big Pat for my grasp of english . Perhaps though you should get a better grasp on how to do research . Take a class or two ! Start at the beginning of the thread. And understand the discussion. THINK which seems to be rather difficult for the few here .
                I have better things to do with my time than to read an entire 800+ page forum thread.

"It seems like there have been a lot of changes lately to try and make OFO more LE oriented"

Yes there have that is why the LEO orientated have agitated for them .
                If that is the case then why do you continue to be so disgruntled and negative?

READ THE THREAD BIG PAT
                I have never said anybody who wants to clerk and make $$$$ there in the right place. And for the simple minded it is a lifetime job . Come by and spend 8 hours here ! Or at JFK or LAX .
                I'll pass, I am plenty satisfied with my current job.

READ the THREAD
                We want the change in hiring to discourage the many posters here such as Iamanija who talk about wanting to work at an airport and stamp all day.
                From what I have seen of your posts you berate any applicant or officer who has anything positive to say about CBP. Your posts seem to be all about complaining and being disgruntled, and have nothing to do with promoting positive changes in your agency. If your agency is so bad then leave, there is nothing compelling you to stay.

RECALL how Border Patrol screamed over the merger and the possibilty they might have to cross train and work a land border.
                Most BP Agents/OFO Officers recognize that the two jobs are distinct and different and don't want the jobs merged together. I am opposed to merging the two jobs together, however, that doesn't mean that I hate OFO or don't recognize the fact that a lot of the officers in OFO bust their asses every day and do great work.

"Besies, if it bothers you so much that OFO is not LE-oriented enough, why do you go out of your way to try and belittle and discourage any applicants who want to get the job to actually work and do enforcement?"

YOU ARE BUYING into the Merlin myth of enforcment CBP does not do much enforcment. In fact they love merging our stats with air/marine,BP, Cost Guard to inflate.
                MANY OF OUR BEST BUSTS if you want to call them that are because DEA or ICE has alerted the airport or border to the crossing. They are not cold busts.
                I know in my neck of the woods, OFO officers at the Douglas and Nogales POEs are constantly making big drug busts. Enforcement is not a "myth". You are coming off as nothing more than a disgruntled employee who gets mad at and jealous of other employees who actually work hard at their job and do it well. If you doubt that your agency does enforcement, you can always look at the CBP intranet page at work, they usually mention the larger seizures, and I believe that they keep seizure stats for OFO on there as well. Maybe that will inspire you to try and start catching some stuff yourself (I doubt it though).

"Sriously guy, if you hate the job so much go work someplace else. If you do so, I would suggest that you have somebody else with a better grasp of the English language write your resume for you. "

UMM BP has one of biggest reps for griping .
                There are disgruntled people in every outfit. In my experience the disgruntled slugs who do nothing but complain are not liked or treated well by their peers.

That aside I have offered many a time to compare RESUME with the internet guts group . They never answer the challenge.
                Will you ?Lets look at education , prior jobs to our current one . Bank accounts , etc.

That is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen on this forum.... you want to compare bank account information on an internet forum? Would you like my social security number and mother's maiden name as well? What are you, a Nigerian internet scammer? (That would explain your constant butchery of the English language though...)

And after that you can be as RAY CROCK once said there are a lot of unemployed english majors in the country.
                I am neither unemployed nor am I an English major. Also, be advised, Ray KROC (note the correct spelling) is not a very good example to use if you are trying to tout how your college education somehow makes you superior. Ray Kroc was a high school dropout.

And where will you be working with your BP resume after 57 ? Walmart ?
                I'll be just fine, I work at a job that I love. Perhaps you should worry about yourself... aren't you the one that goes to work everyday at a job you hate for an agency you despise?

PS follow the thread BIG PAT
                YODA
                FAILED HIS BACKGROUND repeat YODA failed his background and that is why he is angry , Yoda is not being hired anywhere that is why he is angry.
                Yoda and iamanija are very very disgruntled . Follow the thread Big Pat . I have offered suggestions to help them . GO to an Acadamy, get a law enforcment degree , join the military as an MP instead they seek a clerk job .
                The stories of these other posters are irrelevant. I have noticed that YOU do nothing but bash your agency and bash anybody (whether an applicant or current officer) who has anything positive to say about CBP. Sir, nothing is compelling you to stay with CBP. This isn't the military, you don't have a signed enlistment contract. If you hate your job so much all you have to do is resign. It really is that simple.

If you aren't going to quit, then it would behoove you to focus less on complaining and focus more on trying to effect positive change in your agency. Constantly complaining on the internet and berating applicants and your fellow coworkers is certainly not going to help anything. Your government paycheck is not an entitlement. Have a little pride in yourself and your work and go out there and do your job that you get paid (very well) to do. If you can't do that then leave.

I am sure a lot of people are wondering why I have even bothered taking so much time to address an obvious troll like yourself. Disgruntled, non-working slugs really bother me. Our jobs (both in OBP and OFO) are serious ones that affect national security. It really bothers me that there are disgruntled idiots out there who will wave a dope or alien through a POE without bothering to inspect it, or mindlessly stamp a terrorist's passport, or watch DVDs in their vehicle as a group of 50 walks right by them. People like that are jeopardizing our nation's security due to nothing more than their own laziness and indifference. I sincerely hope that your internet rantings are just an act or an elaborate trolling attempt, and that in real life you aren't the disgruntled slug that you appear to be on the internet.

I am off my soapbox now, and am done feeding the trolls.

Have a great day.
                Last edited by BigPat; 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                  Pat--That's been stated several times by the currently serving CBPO's in this thread. Unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. Thanks for the input though. Many on here have quit responding to this person simply because he is a very disgruntled employee and is not here to add anything to the discussion.
                  I know that I was kind of "feeding the troll", but people with that attitude that work in CBP really bug me. That is the exact type of person that will let all sorts of aliens or dope through simply because they are too lazy to inspect properly and do the job that they are paid to do..

Where have you been? It's been a long time since you posted last.
                  I have been busy and my free time for the internet has been rather limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                    I have better things to do with my time than to read an entire 800+ page forum thread.

If that is the case then why do you continue to be so disgruntled and negative?

I'll pass, I am plenty satisfied with my current job.

From what I have seen of your posts you berate any applicant or officer who has anything positive to say about CBP. Your posts seem to be all about complaining and being disgruntled, and have nothing to do with promoting positive changes in your agency. If your agency is so bad then leave, there is nothing compelling you to stay.

Most BP Agents/OFO Officers recognize that the two jobs are distinct and different and don't want the jobs merged together. I am opposed to merging the two jobs together, however, that doesn't mean that I hate OFO or don't recognize the fact that a lot of the officers in OFO bust their asses every day and do great work.

I know in my neck of the woods, OFO officers at the Douglas and Nogales POEs are constantly making big drug busts. Enforcement is not a "myth". You are coming off as nothing more than a disgruntled employee who gets mad at and jealous of other employees who actually work hard at their job and do it well. If you doubt that your agency does enforcement, you can always look at the CBP intranet page at work, they usually mention the larger seizures, and I believe that they keep seizure stats for OFO on there as well. Maybe that will inspire you to try and start catching some stuff yourself (I doubt it though).

There are disgruntled people in every outfit. In my experience the disgruntled slugs who do nothing but complain are not liked or treated well by their peers.

That is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen on this forum.... you want to compare bank account information on an internet forum? Would you like my social security number and mother's maiden name as well? What are you, a Nigerian internet scammer? (That would explain your constant butchery of the English language though...)

I am neither unemployed nor am I an English major. Also, be advised, Ray KROC (note the correct spelling) is not a very good example to use if you are trying to tout how your college education somehow makes you superior. Ray Kroc was a high school dropout.

I'll be just fine, I work at a job that I love. Perhaps you should worry about yourself... aren't you the one that goes to work everyday at a job you hate for an agency you despise?

The stories of these other posters are irrelevant. I have noticed that YOU do nothing but bash your agency and bash anybody (whether an applicant or current officer) who has anything positive to say about CBP. Sir, nothing is compelling you to stay with CBP. This isn't the military, you don't have a signed enlistment contract. If you hate your job so much all you have to do is resign. It really is that simple.

If you aren't going to quit, then it would behoove you to focus less on complaining and focus more on trying to effect positive change in your agency. Constantly complaining on the internet and berating applicants and your fellow coworkers is certainly not going to help anything. Your government paycheck is not an entitlement. Have a little pride in yourself and your work and go out there and do your job that you get paid (very well) to do. If you can't do that then leave.

I am sure a lot of people are wondering why I have even bothered taking so much time to address an obvious troll like yourself. Disgruntled, non-working slugs really bother me. Our jobs (both in OBP and OFO) are serious ones that affect national security. It really bothers me that there are disgruntled idiots out there who will wave a dope or alien through a POE without bothering to inspect it, or mindlessly stamp a terrorist's passport, or watch DVDs in their vehicle as a group of 50 walks right by them. People like that are jeopardizing our nation's security due to nothing more than their own laziness and indifference. I sincerely hope that your internet rantings are just an act or an elaborate trolling attempt, and that in real life you aren't the disgruntled slug that you appear to be on the internet.

I am off my soapbox now, and am done feeding the trolls.

Have a great day.
                    You're the type of person most of us (applicants) hope to work along side with (along with the likes of Merlin and the others (OFO) who are positive), not some dead-weights who just need to have a can of 'shut the hell-up)!!
                    TO-6/16/08
                    TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• What new academy?

Comment

• EscapeCBP,
                        I'll make it simple, no rants. SHUT UP and leave! We're here to help the applicants. That's all.
                        *****CBP Officer*****
                        Hot South Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC0844 View Post
                          Based on Anthony's list, I have attempted to contact all of the East Texas applicants and determine their TO dates. A couple did not respond and two did not appear to have active profiles on either site. The end result is that based on TO date, the East Texas list stayed in roughly the same order as the TSU. Of course this is subject to change based on test scores, but for the most part, the shift to TO date created no major shake ups on the list of people who post on these forums.

Why?

Comment

• God I love the ignore option.

Comment

• Hey Knucklehead I actually don't have an attitude, or well maybe I do now that I think about it, I have a positive attitude, I think that may count, I'm not sure. I also have an attitude of being a team player, but that one may hurt me in the "new academy"!! My bro warned me of certain types of people in CBP, I guess I'm finding out before even getting in. Also, I've been pulled over before, never had a problem haha!!! Failed to mention I was raised by a LEO, ahhh I love those men and women in Blue, nothing but the uttmost respect for them!! I'm as level headed as they come bro!! I won't bow down to the lower levels anymore....Peace!!!
                              TO-6/16/08
                              TSU-E.TX 12/01/08

Comment

• Listen guys, a key aspect for working for this type of animal is learning to work with different people. You're going to have co-workers like the one aforementioned in this thread that's going to make your job miserable. You gotta learn to work with them though. If you don't, you become miserable. It's the law of the bad apple. No one talks about the good apples. It's too easy to talk about the bad ones. Try your best and move forward from whatever people might throw your way in terms of negativity.

I'm not OFO either for what it's worth, this is just a general thought process I've come to realize while working for CBP.
                                "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9710 users online. 211 members and 9499 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X