Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a side note I can do 11 push ups in a row now. Much better than the 6 I started with. Should be well past 17 in a few weeks
    Last edited by waitingny; 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingny View Post
      On a side note I can do 11 push ups in a row now. Much better than the 6 I started with. Should be well past 17 in a few weeks
      Keep at it when I started I could not do 2...however I am at 20 easily now..none stop and 60 in sets of 15.I try to do atleast 20 before shower at night!...It also helps that I have a wedding in italy to attend at the end of summer and I want to look splendid!

Comment

• [QUOTE=waitingny;2233889]
        Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        BTW, I'd love to see a link to that "state/local working the Can. border" article. QUOTE]

It was on a local radio station and on NPR they are paying these "local/state police" overtime by federal funds to "help out." if this is true it is absolute garbage and completely unfair. It is mainly in NY and VT. I am losing my faith in this job.
        Why do you care?

As far as it's true, I'm betting it has absolutely nothing in common with the general OFO operations. In short, it's almost assuredly not affecting you or your hiring in the slightest.

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• With few exceptions...

State/locals don't have training in customs/immigration law.
            They are not federal law enforcement.
            They don't have border search authority.

Even if we brought state/locals on to the border and into the ports(which in many cases I think would be a GREAT idea!), they would be enforcing state/local law. That would still leave us to do our jobs.

Comment

• US border being patrolled with help of local cops

Associated Press - February 23, 2010 6:55 AM ET

DERBY LINE, Vt. (AP) - The U.S. Border Patrol is getting some extra help watching the line with Canada in Vermont and upstate New York with help from local and state police officers in both states.

A Border Patrol program called Operation Stone Garden uses officers from sheriffs departments and state and local police agencies who work during their off hours and are paid overtime by the federal government to watch the border.

The Border Patrol reimburses local agencies for the use of their equipment.

The Caledonian Record says the $60 million nationwide program could last three years.

Border Patrol Spokesman Mark Henry says local and state officers can qualify to work the border by receiving special training from the Department of Homeland Security.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
              http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=12029423

Rest easy all...it's a Border Patrol program. It's not likely to be coming to a port near you.

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingny View Post
                  Thanks for clearing that up I shall rest easy and continue to wait......

But doesnt that mean they should just hire more BP if they need help?! I guess it just does not make sense to me.
                  Maybe...I don't know the particulars.

Lots of time it's simply easier and cheaper to reach out and ask the state/locals for help. The state/locals are already in the area. They know the population and which people to keep an eye on. They know the lay of the land. They already have the vehicles/holding cells, people, etc. there.

Sure, Uncle Sugar could hire more PAs, build more BP stations, bring in more equipment and the like...but do you really want to be paying taxes for all that if you really don't need to?

Comment

• Hi guys,

I know this is off the subject. Since I'm on TSU/TO waiting to get the call, if I get another job offer and decides to take it, do I have to let MHC know? Will they re-investigate my background?
                    TSU - 8/28/09
                    TO - 3/2009
                    On the job

Comment

• Will who re-investigate your background? The agency hiring you?...maybe, there are too few details to answer that. If you're hiring on somewhere else within CBP, probably not. If it's within DHS, maybe not. If it's elsewhere...who knows. There is nothing I know of that stops an agency from choosing to do a re-investigation.

The nice and proper thing to do would be to notify MHC and let them know you're dropping out of consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Will who re-investigate your background? The agency hiring you?...maybe, there are too few details to answer that. If you're hiring on somewhere else within CBP, probably not. If it's within DHS, maybe not. If it's elsewhere...who knows. There is nothing I know of that stops an agency from choosing to do a re-investigation.

The nice and proper thing to do would be to notify MHC and let them know you're dropping out of consideration.
                        sorry, let me clear things up...

I have another job offer from a company, nothing related to DHS or other federal job. I'm still waiting for the CBP... The place I'm working now is laying off people..so I need a back up plan before things hits the fan...I was just wondering if MHC will re-do my background and/or let them know I have a new job...
                        TSU - 8/28/09
                        TO - 3/2009
                        On the job

Comment

Last edited by waitingny; 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeCBP
                            The age of a Border Patrol Agent has changed only one time.

Not so. Lets clear up the semantics first.
                            Border Patrol Agents have had several name changes.
                            So we are not going to rely on that ,example from our own Agency we went from Inspectors to Officers with no status change. My point is we should consider them one position from the onset .
                            Mounted Guards/ Inspectors 1915
                            No hiring age limit.
                            Border Patrol Officer 1924
                            No hiring age limit
                            Border Patrol Inspector ?????
                            Border Patrol Agent 1970
                            You will see the term Agent used throughout their history.
                            The above is by no means meant to be an exact or official history.
                            Now we tackle the statement one age change.
                            1.No age limit
                            2.6c coverage 35
                            3.All FLEO under 6c go to 37 age limit
                            4.Border Patrol [needs of service goes to 40]not a permanent change.
                            It is possible they had an age limit before 6c but I don`t think so.
                            I see three age changes maybe more when you consider minimum ages requirement for hiring.
                            CAN YOU IMAGINE CBP having a NATIONAL MU SEAM like Border Patrol ???????
                            What a hoot a bronzed stamper on display
                            And a booth with a computer .

I was aware of all of that. For the purpose of this discussion concerning his TO I limited it to one age change. I didn't see the need to go back to 1915. Also, Customs service back in the day had mobile customs patrol agents you may be surprised what you would find in a CBP Museum should one ever be opened

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by EscapeCBP
                              IT is far less costly to pay the locals during an event then to bring in CBPOS from out of State. The locals actually, as you will learn can do far more law enforcement then you ever will. The average border crosser USC or otherwise will follow the direction of the local yokel before yours. As they know other then a stern talking too they will be on there way in a moment.

Since your function will be to process travel at the Canadian border ,you would primarily be in a booth or inside issuing WTs and I 94s.

AS a MRT/CBPO ,ACET, from another State you would be assigned to pop trunks and keep a low profile.
                              And please before I hear from the chior here pm, me your badge and I will have my wife cross without documents
                              and I defy you to keep her more then 15 minutes I don`t care what tuff port you are at . And if you do have fun explaining to her Senator/Congressman and your DFO what took place. And how you articulate why you thought she was not a USC and was smuggling ?

What garbage.

15 minutes? If she was truly without documents I wouldn't be finished checking her trunk in 15 minutes. Tell her to expect to sit anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes, depending on how busy I am with the other traveling public who are carrying their proper docs. This isn't a first come, first serve industry. I'll deal with her issues when I've got the time.

Let her go cry to the DFO if she wants...big f'ing deal. Won't be the first I've seen, won't be the last. Heck I had one guy going to Rice and Bush because I questioned his blue eyed, blond hair "native" status. So far, neither Condi nor George has gotten back to me on that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                The problem with our union is that it's a labor union, not a law-enforcement union. That's why we have all the long drawn-out battles over petty issues like facial hair and cargo shorts. Our union fights over money...not law-enforcement issues.

BTW, I'd love to see a link to that "state/local working the Can. border" article.

I've really never seen it. I could see Uncle Sugar providing grants and funding to state/local to patrol more in border areas, with the understanding that they'll call in Border Patrol if and when needed, but "working the border"...that I've yet to see.
                                I have seen local's patroling the border in Vermont not working the POE's. The locals were a Homeland Security Grant to pay for there OT provided they could show it was for border security. Thier were county sheriff that were not even border counties coming up to get a piece of the pie.

FB

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3346 users online. 263 members and 3083 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X