Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO dates really came into importance after 20 year retirement came into play July of 08. Anyone 37 or older needed a TO before 07/08 to continue forward in the process at that time.

My guess is that the TO date still holds sway because of those post-37 year-olds looking to get hired on. Once they clear out the pre-July/08 crowd, there's little chance of seeing the 40-60 YO crowd at FLETC CBP basic. That gives them more flexibility in modifying the academy content, especially as it relates to the physical content.

That's just my guess though...

Comment

• I don't see how cbp can sustain an anemic hiring of only 200 to 300 officers per year. With around 20,000 officers, and 10,000 of those being recently hired and 10,000 older officers. The department has to at least maintain a 500 officers per year hiring rate, to main current levels.

2nd during Barrak Obama's 2010 State of the Union speech, he made it clear the US has to increase trade to bring in jobs into the US. In order to do that new trade agreements will have to be made, and there will be an increase in imports as their is an increase in exports. That being it means there will be a need for new officers to oversee those goods.

This year may be a terrible year for getting hired as a CBPO, but they will have to pick up hiring next year to maintain current level.
      CBPO
      TSU 8/7/09 Washington Northern Border
      T.O. 3/31/09
      S7

FAM
      Applied: 2/5/10
      paperwork: 3/27/10
      CO: Waiting

Comment

• Originally posted by Hieroglyph83 View Post
        I don't see how cbp can sustain an anemic hiring of only 200 to 300 officers per year.
        I'd bet that they are just hiring U.S. military personel as they get back from duty. Is that possible?
        CBPO
        GEO - NY/JFK
        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
        PE Forms - Completed
        Fitness - Completed
        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
        Drug Screen - Completed
        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
        TSU

EOD: ???
        FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
          I'd bet that they are just hiring U.S. military personel as they get back from duty. Is that possible?
          I don't think that is it. I think we have plenty of military on this board who would tell us if they were getting EODs before everyone else. Besides, no one is just handed in a job in the government. In order to fill any gov job (with a few very rare exceptions) a vacancy announcement on USAjobs must be posted and even the shoe-ins need to apply just like anyone else. Jobs are never just handed out to people regardless of experience or merit.

Fun story: I interned at a CIS office for almost two years until I graduated. When I graduated and wanted to go to work for them full time they told me that, even though they would hire me without question, they would need to post a vacancy announcement and I would need to apply just like anyone else. I could have done the job with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back, but, in the interest of fairness, they had to open it up to everyone. It's bs, but that's the goverment.

Even FBI Hostage Rescue Team hires via USAjobs vacancy announcements. No joke.
          Last edited by Lamp Lighter; 02-20-2010, 10:29 PM.
          "He made the night a little brighter where ever he would go. The old lamplighter of long, long ago."

Comment

Last edited by PL07; 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• FL, Other
              " T.O" - NOV 2007
              Active April-09 to Present if I was home would have been complete in early 09
              Last step, Poly. upon return to U.S.
              "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hieroglyph83 View Post
                I don't see how cbp can sustain an anemic hiring of only 200 to 300 officers per year. With around 20,000 officers, and 10,000 of those being recently hired and 10,000 older officers. The department has to at least maintain a 500 officers per year hiring rate, to main current levels.

2nd during Barrak Obama's 2010 State of the Union speech, he made it clear the US has to increase trade to bring in jobs into the US. In order to do that new trade agreements will have to be made, and there will be an increase in imports as their is an increase in exports. That being it means there will be a need for new officers to oversee those goods.

This year may be a terrible year for getting hired as a CBPO, but they will have to pick up hiring next year to maintain current level.
                I seriously doubt that hiring 500 new people would keep up with attrition. That assumes a 2.5% attrition rate...and I doubt it's any lower than 5-6%.

As you said, it's almost certain that they'll have to pick up hiring again within the next few years. Further, there's nothing that really stops them from running 100+ people a month for the next 7 months...if they so chose. It's not as if they're really limited to hiring 2-3 hundred more this year.

Comment

• i wish i was as optimistic as merlin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kmarttoaster
                    Most of us will not get hired with the current administration in office. Tell all of your friends to vote republican in 2012.
                    I hate to burst your bubble, but many of us on here did most of our waiting with the previous administration. Like most of the current CBPOs have said, I think this slow down has more to do with the gigantic numbers of applicants hired in such a short amount of time than it does with any sort of politics. The budget has already passed and we still wait. I think the POE's have so many new people to get used to their jobs, the last thing they want is another flood of new hires to worry about. Just another POV to consider.

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                      Actually the way vet preference works the agency just has to be able to justify why they passed over a vet. The vet being unavailable due to deployment is a completely acceptable reason to not hire one.

Using the TO date makes sense and makes properly applying vet preference possible. Since the slowdown in hiring, it is that much more important to ensure the preference is applied in compliance with law than it was during the frenzy. In the last couple years applying vet preference was difficult because nobody sat in TSU long enough for it to become an issue. Many if not most people hit TSU, then received an offer within a few days or a week at most. Now that people are sitting around in TSU, it makes no sense to use the TSU date. The TO is just that an offer of employment. It makes no sense to hire person 2 before person 1, if person 1 was offered the job first. That could result in very costly lawsuits and an HR nightmare.
                      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Merlin, I love when you chime in on these depressing posts. You always give me so much hope!
                        Geo Pref - Boston
                        Written - 7/25/2008
                        TO - 3/6/2009
                        Pre-Employment Forms - 3/11/2009 Complete
                        Qualifications (GS05/07) - 3/11/2009 Complete GS07
                        VBT - 3/24/2009 Passed
                        Med/Phys - 3/25/2009 Passed
                        Drug Test - 4/3/2009 Passed
                        BI - 5/13/2009
                        TSU - 9/04/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                          Actually the way vet preference works the agency just has to be able to justify why they passed over a vet. The vet being unavailable due to deployment is a completely acceptable reason to not hire one.

Using the TO date makes sense and makes properly applying vet preference possible. Since the slowdown in hiring, it is that much more important to ensure the preference is applied in compliance with law than it was during the frenzy. In the last couple years applying vet preference was difficult because nobody sat in TSU long enough for it to become an issue. Many if not most people hit TSU, then received an offer within a few days or a week at most. Now that people are sitting around in TSU, it makes no sense to use the TSU date. The TO is just that an offer of employment. It makes no sense to hire person 2 before person 1, if person 1 was offered the job first. That could result in very costly lawsuits and an HR nightmare.
                          Well I got Vet Pref and my TO date puts me a year and a half sooner than my TSU date (because of deployment)..but does the fact that I qualified as a GS-07 hurt me???

Comment

• Originally posted by JaredB11381 View Post
                            Merlin, I love when you chime in on these depressing posts. You always give me so much hope!
                            Well...there appears to be a run on pessimism lately.

All most of you really need to do is sit back, go on with your lives and await the call. It'll come eventually. All this negativity just wears on you. Worry and lamentation might just bring you a stomach ulcer, but it won't bring that eventual call even one tiny step closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Well...there appears to be a run on pessimism lately.

All most of you really need to do is sit back, go on with your lives and await the call. It'll come eventually. All this negativity just wears on you. Worry and lamentation might just bring you a stomach ulcer, but it won't bring that eventual call even one tiny step closer.

I'm going to a fortune teller tomorrow. Maybe she'll look into her TSU ball and give us an answer

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                I had a professor once (I think this is one of the few things I actually learned in college), that put it very simply. There are only two things in this world, things you can control and things you can't. If you can control it, why stress? You control the outcome. The outcome will be what you want or allow. If you can't control it, why stress? You have no choice or input in the outcome.
                                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5662 users online. 334 members and 5328 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X